Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA money grabbing

Options
  • 06-08-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Following Clare's victory over Galway, I requested tickets through my club for the semi finals
    In attendance will be my elderly GAA mad parents, my daughter and I, my eldest brother who is travelling back to Ireland for the match with his wife and 2 kids and my other brother with his wife and 4 kids
    All in, 7 adults, 7 kids
    The GAA in its wisdom is not allocating clubs ANY juvenile for the Cusack or Hogan stands so we either sit in the Davin with the kids or pay full price for 7 kids for the Cusack (apparently the Hogan does not have juvenile tickets at all)
    There is no point in my parents sitting on the Davin end, they won't see a thing ditto travelling home from Eastern Europe I wouldn't expect my elder brother to pay €160 for four tickets
    In fairness you'd see a lot more on the TV
    So much for "Nothing Beats Being There" :rolleyes:
    Disgraceful :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Following Clare's victory over Galway, I requested tickets through my club for the semi finals
    In attendance will be my elderly GAA mad parents, my daughter and I, my eldest brother who is travelling back to Ireland for the match with his wife and 2 kids and my other brother with his wife and 4 kids
    All in, 7 adults, 7 kids
    The GAA in its wisdom is not allocating clubs ANY juvenile for the Cusack or Hogan stands so we either sit in the Davin with the kids or pay full price for 7 kids for the Cusack (apparently the Hogan does not have juvenile tickets at all)
    There is no point in my parents sitting on the Davin end, they won't see a thing ditto travelling home from Eastern Europe I wouldn't expect my elder brother to pay €160 for four tickets
    Why do you all have to sit in the same area? Get the kids and 1 or 2 adults to go into the canal end and then the rest of the adults in the Hogan or Cusack stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Think its the club might be riding you ... if you haven't bought yet... youse can all be accommodated in the Upper Cusack .. tickets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Why do you all have to sit in the same area? Get the kids and 1 or 2 adults to go into the canal end and then the rest of the adults in the Hogan or Cusack stand.

Because two of the kids speak no Englsh their parents want to be with them, and the other 4 are too young to be separated

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Think its the club might be riding you ... if you haven't bought yet... youse can all be accommodated in the Upper Cusack .. tickets.ie

Tried buying online not selling juvenile
    And it's not our club I've checked with clubs in Galway and Roscommon same story Davin end or nought

My point is, either end you won't see much, so it's a waste of time better stay home and watch on TV
    Nothing beats being there my ass :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It's hurling, ye won't be able to see the ball anyway, if you're lucky there'll be a fight down in front of the Davin.

People go for the atmosphere and the craic as much as for the view, re the kids, imo there's usually little point in bringing them if they're younger than 7/8, but each to their own etc.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    It's hurling, ye won't be able to see the ball anyway, if you're lucky there'll be a fight down in front of the Davin.

People go for the atmosphere and the craic as much as for the view, re the kids, imo there's usually little point in bringing them if they're younger than 7/8, but each to their own etc.

Small lack of babysitters when the whole family is going to the match :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The GAA has a few big games at this time of year which is an important revenue source for the association to cross subsidise all of the other stuff that makes little or no money. There are GAA people willing to pay full whack for the Hogan/Cusack seats and it is reasonable to sell tickets to them and not at a discount. There are many many games during the year when everyone can sit together at neglible cost, there are one or two where this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

My point is, either end you won't see much, so it's a waste of time better stay home and watch on TV
    Nothing beats being there my ass :mad:

the GAA offer €5 tickets for kids yet you still are not happy? baffling, but unsurprising.

certain sections are designed for kids or allocated as such. would you want you child for example sitting beside a bunch or random drunk louts who spend the day cursing and shouting, just cos you want to have the best seats in the house?

impossible to please everybody, but dont call the GAA money grabbing when your real problem is your nose is out of joint as you cant sit in the main stands, which by the way happen to be sold out anyway.

the view from the upper cusack is perfect by the way and for the semi 2 years ago, we took in a bunch of 4-6 year olds with us, along with my father who is nearly 70. we all got on great, had a perfect view and the kids tickets were €5 a head.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

when i was a kid i was brought to the league matches, but not the championship ones, not until i was 12, the logic being that i was not as interested until i hit that age, it was true to some degree i guess.

It's a pity that you have to pay so much, but I think it's pretty much the same in many sports or events, a seat is a seat, it's not like the old days when small kids took up less space than adults, H&S has impacted on that on person per seat. There are some great deals for family tickets and league matches but as the demand for tickets goes up I guess they don't want to sell the tickets for €10 when they can get €30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If you really want to be there you'll pay it if not then you won't.

So, the theory is ill either pay €40 quid a head for 14 people if I want decent tickets or take the crap ones just for the atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Gone be with the days when we were all given a bottle of TK Red Lemonade and packet of crisps and sent off to fill the old Nally Stand with the OAPs. We wouldn't see our fathers again until we arrived at the arranged post match meeting point which was usually the Big Tree on Dorset Street! Happier times. Kids these days don't know they're born.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Or Pay €90 for One Direction Tickets.

My season ticket cost me €80 I got to see 9 League game, the club final, Ulster V Len and the first championship game for it, that's 12 games (excluding possibly 4 or 5 double headers) I had great seats for them all, but now at the business end I pay up for the rest of the tickets and I see nothing wrong with that.

The GAA need to make money and they have plenty of offers on during the year, but they are not going to turn away from revenue for their best seats, I see nothing wrong with it they still have offers for kids.

I was in section 705 for the Cork Dublin game on Saturday, there was some sort of a barney between some tyrone and Dublin supporters behind us during the dublin game, it really was not suitable for kids a good few had to be brought home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

So, the theory is ill either pay €40 quid a head for 14 people if I want decent tickets or take the crap ones just for the atmosphere?

you're paying for all the tickets personally? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

All in, 7 adults, 7 kids

The view in the Davin isn't that bad. Not much difference in the view in most sections and as good or better vantage points in some cases than being at the back of the upper hogan or cusack.

Also €160 for 4 tickets..shock horror! Try getting 4 tickets to a concert or any half decent rugby or soccer game. The GAA gets a lot of stick, some of it is deserved, but for an amateur organisation that relies heavily on gate receipts, they don't go out of their way to fleece people in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Would you not agree that tickets worth 40 euro should be better seats than ones with 5 euro? The view isn't that bad from the canal end anyway. Also may I just ask how many games you have been at this year? I just want to know if you are a genuine supporter or just jumping on the bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Upper Davin is a good view & kid friendly, it's an All Ireland semi & usually a good atmosphere.

You could buy the Cusack Stand tickets on ticketmaster but you'll have to pay full adult price. You will then get a refund if a child uses the ticket for admission. The kids go through another turnstile inside the stadium & get the refund. :D

The kids refund turnstiles are on the corner of the Cusack & Davin Stands.

Stop complaining you could have the misfortune of supporting Wexford :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

There's plenty of juvenile tickets available for the Upper Cusack on tickets.ie and they're only 3 rows back from the front too. A lot of people seem to have a massive sense of entitlement when it comes to GAA tickets, they'd still whinge if they got them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

I was in section 705 for the Cork Dublin game on Saturday, there was some sort of a barney between some tyrone and Dublin supporters behind us during the dublin game, it really was not suitable for kids a good few had to be brought home.

I must have been sitting beside u... Tickets.ie have seats in upper cusack 710row c nothing wrong with them.. You,ll see everything from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I must have been sitting beside u... Tickets.ie have seats in upper cusack 710row c nothing wrong with them.. You,ll see everything from there
    +1

WHAT is this thread about?
    Theres upper Cusack €5 juevenile seats available online now, decent views guaranteed, with ZERO booking fee

If thats grab all/ rip off then the OP should go feed the ducks on the liffey or something which is about all you'll get cheaper than getting a kid into an all ireland semi final for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

+1

WHAT is this thread about?
    Theres upper Cusack €5 juevenile seats available online now, decent views guaranteed, with ZERO booking fee

If thats grab all/ rip off then the OP should go feed the ducks on the liffey or something which is about all you'll get cheaper than getting a kid into an all ireland semi final for a fiver.
    Yep Munchkin posted that yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Goddamn eastern europeans coming over here taking all our good tickets :)

define a crap ticket? theres only so many tickets in the ground, most people are delighted to be there, you seem to want padded seats on the half way line with wifi access and inbuild 3d replay on your front access panel.

and no, your bulls*it here about having to pay €40 is nonsense, as there are no €40 tickets left to buy in lower hogan or cusack- there are however lots of €5 tickets left in upper cusask which will make 1000's of people happy.

i honestly think you better stay at home as you seem intend on not enjoying the day and maybe Sport is not for you. i hear a new series of the Late Late show is starting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

define a crap ticket?

Unless one is half blind there's no such thing in Croker any more. I watched the 2010 hurling final from the upper Davin. Despite the fact that there was a mist for the a lot of the minor match, I could see the hill end perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

antoobrien wrote: »
    Unless one is half blind there's no such thing in Croker any more. I watched the 2010 hurling final from the upper Davin. Despite the fact that there was a mist for the a lot of the minor match, I could see the hill end perfectly.

The Upper Davin seats have a cracking view!
    I think I have sat in nearly every area of the stadium at least once and the worst view I have had was in the corner between the Davin and the Cusack but then again I could see everything just the Hill End was a bit far away.

Although I do have glasses and had forgotten them!

Basically in a very long winded way- I agree that there are no bad views in Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Isn't there an activity section for kids behind the Davin Stand - I'm sure thats why OP has found kids tickets focused on that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The Upper Davin seats have a cracking view!
    I think I have sat in nearly every area of the stadium at least once and the worst view I have had was in the corner between the Davin and the Cusack but then again I could see everything just the Hill End was a bit far away.

Although I do have glasses and had forgotten them!

Basically in a very long winded way- I agree that there are no bad views in Croker

The only bad spot I've been in is in the first 15 rows behind the goal for hurling (last year's drawn final) - I found it took a bit of getting used to looking out though the nets to follow the ball. Wouldn't be a problem for football matches tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

All in, 7 adults, 7 kids

Would a club ever have been in a position to give 14 tickets to a single person? I doubt it
    What kind of allocation do clubs get?

A lot are kept for general sale also

• Advertisement

Would a club ever have been in a position to give 14 tickets to a single person? I doubt it
    What kind of allocation do clubs get?

A lot are kept for general sale also

so not only does this poster want the best seat in the house, but cheaper than anybody else, they also want 14 in a row for an all ireland semi final?! good grief....

Kids tickets are available for €5 online in upper cusack, 3rd row. 14 tickets can be bought in a group of 8 maximum.
    Stoner wrote: »
    It's a pity that you have to pay so much,.

but the thing is, she doesnt. she can get 7 kids tickets for €35 in total in the Upper Cusack right now, on tickets.ie. her problem is she expects to get seats that are already sold out, for €5.

Advertisement