Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobby Artist sues love/hate!

Options
  • 06-08-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Kevin Sharkeys to sue for hanging a few paintings in John boys gaff!

A DONEGAL artist is suing the makers of the hit RTE TV series ‘Love/Hate’ claiming a breach of copyright.

The Dublin gangland crime drama has featured three of Kevin Sharkey’s works during the first two series of the drama.

The paintings could be seen hanging in the luxury apartment of crime boss John Boy, played by Aidan Gillen.

They were also on view as several characters were filmed taking drugs for the series.

Sharkey’s solicitor Joseph O’Malley confirmed that artist Kevin has filed for damages against Octagon Films and RTE with the High Court.

Mr O’Malley said the legal action related to an alleged “infringement of copyright and a consequential claim for damages.”

“I love what I have seen of ‘Love/Hate’ so far and my decision to pursue the producers is purely a legal matter,” said Sharkey who has complained that his art is being used in the series.

“Having my work portrayed as liked by a dangerous killer and drug addict is the problem. It might seem cool to the lads in Ballymun, but they don’t buy my paintings.”

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2013/08/06/donegal-artist-to-sue-lovehate-tv-show/

“. It might seem cool to the lads in Ballymun, but they don’t buy my paintings.”
    .....a bit rich coming from an equality campaigner whose complained of racist abuse in the past!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If RTE own them then surely they can display them anywhere they like. I'm not aware of anything like IMRO for pictures. Or is it that he doesn't want his pictures associated with drug taking? In which case I'd refer back to - RTE owns them, they can display them wherever they fancy, as long as they don't make unauthorised reproductions or use them in advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The guy wants a few quid - whats the issue ? He should get paid, same as any band or artist that gets used on the soundtrack.

I have never seen Love/Hate, but are the indoor scenes filmed on location or on a set somewhere? There's a chance that they happened to be there if they were filming on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ford will sue now, cause the drug dealers on the show are showing driving in ford cars.
    Next it will be Coke suing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't watch it but if RTE own the pictures they can use them I'd thought :/
    Free advertising too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I would hardly Sharkey snobby OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Doesn't matter to him whether he wins or not.
    Ireland's largest community forum is talking about his art. Mission accomplished I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Sue for this, sue for that. Phucking tools!

If I saw my erm, finger painting on RTE - I'd be well chuffed.

What is wrong with people these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

"It might seem cool to the lads in Ballymun, but they don’t buy my paintings.”

,.....doesn't smack of humility to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

hope debbie will be back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What does he need money for, shur he's a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

slickmcvic wrote: »
    "It might seem cool to the lads in Ballymun, but they don’t buy my paintings.”

,.....doesn't smack of humility to me.

But taxpayers in ballymum are subsidising his tax breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I probably wouldn't Sharkey snobby too.

Wait, wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Ford will sue now, cause the drug dealers on the show are showing driving in ford cars.
    Next it will be Coke suing

Avatar are suing after what Fran did to yer one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote: »
    I don't watch it but if RTE own the pictures they can use them I'd thought :/
    Free advertising too.
    Yeah it's just a publicity stunt

TBH this smacks of the same sort of Mé Fein stuff that wedding photographers do where they hang on to the copyright so the can fleece the guests as well. :mad:

Who'd want to buy a painting if you don't get the rights to show it publicly ??

Even then we have "fair dealing" rights

Also there is no accounting for taste - are the pi

oh wait ... it's that Kevin Sharkey ... always wondered what he was up to these days :pac:

http://www.newirishart.com/irish-artists/kevin-sharkey-artist.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sharkey
    More currently, his Public Enemy Number One exhibition was on a twelve date tour of the world (including New York, Tokyo, Rome and Rio de Janeiro). The exhibition features amongst others Jordan as Myra Hindley, Barack Obama wearing Ku Klux Klan robes (made from U.S. flags), the Pope marrying a gay couple, and Angelina Jolie & Madonna passing each other in a supermarket aisle pushing trolleys full of multi-racial children.
    The clue is in the name

also do you think those people would have the right to sue him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe he saw the rhianna case in the uk and thought he's on to a winner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

How would I know, I'm from Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this chap seems to crave attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I'm from Ballymun, and have many many paintings

dar100 wrote: »
    I'm from Ballymun, and have many many paintings

How many?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'John Boy'. The makers of The Waltons should sue them too.

Nemeses wrote: »
    How many?

Well I have not counted them lately, but rest assured I've enough to start my own TV serious. Do you like paintings Nemeses?

most of the dublin underworld should be suing then.all the plots have been ripped off from paul the hack williams

dar100 wrote: »
    Well I have not counted them lately, but rest assured I've enough to start my own TV serious. Do you like paintings Nemeses?

depends.

Are they finger paintings or feet painted pieces?

Anything else and its a no deal.

most of the dublin underworld should be suing then.all the plots have been ripped off from paul the hack williams

He Knows where all the bodies are buried

wasnt he the first to expose larry the gent murphy?

Nemeses wrote: »
    depends.

Are they finger paintings or feet painted pieces?

Anything else and its a no deal.

I can't disclose the format of the paintings as of yet, I believe there are some Germans seeking their whereabouts at the present time.

I have them in a cellar, would you care to come see them, it's a dark cellar:D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I remember when utv were filming in my house before for the irish come dine with me auditions they had to take a list of all the art work on the wall so that if the clip was used it could be cleared for copywrite so there obviously is something in his claim. Dont think its reasonable for him to have a problem with it though. Hes one of the countries most popular artists. I cant see rich people stopping buying his work just because they seen it on love hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

He wants publicity, but I think this will backfire on him.

• Advertisement

wasnt he the first to expose larry the gent murphy?

I think he was his secret Co-accused

Advertisement