Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobby Artist sues love/hate!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

The guy wants a few quid - whats the issue ? He should get paid, same as any band or artist that gets used on the soundtrack.
    How much do you think we (the taxpayers) should pay him??
    10 squillion euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

tipptom wrote: »
    He was looking for more publicity a few weeks ago by saying he thinks he could be Paul Mcgraths half brother.
    He was posing naked with his lad hanging out in some tacky magazine before he became #ahem ....famous.
    don't ask me for a link it was in the papers before the internet was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Of course he's entitled to be pi$$ed off. Sharkey's a brand, aiming to appeal to a particular demographic.

By associating his product with a particular lifestyle, viewership and audience, RTE has potentially damaged his saleability among those who had traditionally bought his pieces.

I wonder would anyone have noticed that they were his paintings until it was pointed out by this court case?

Do the characters make a specific reference to the Sharkeys hanging on the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

I think he probably has a case. Whether this is fair or not is a different matter. There could be a potential copyright issue, depending on what rights were given when RTE bought the paintings. Common sense would suggest that once you buy something you can do with it as you please, but common sense isn't what the law is about.

Copyright aside, there's such a thing as Moral Rights. I think this has recently been introduced in Ireland, but I could be wrong. Moral rights are meant to protect the author of a work in a number of ways.

Say if Bob Dylan sold me the rights to use a song of his in a video. Say I used it as the music for a video hate-mongering toward a particular race, or as a drug dealer's favourite song in a TV show, the use of the song in this way could be seen as Bob Dylan endorsing the content of my production. This, by extension, could be seen as an attack on his integrity.

Given that Sharkey has mentioned the fact a drug dealer owns the paintings as the reason for the case, this could be his angle.

Not a solicitor, BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres a good view of Croke Park from John Boys place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

He was posing naked with his lad hanging out in some tacky magazine before he became #ahem ....famous.
    don't ask me for a link it was in the papers before the internet was invented.
    I remember The Sunday World showing those pics back in the 80's when he was presenting some programme on RTE.It was for a gay mag in London and I think the pics were taken in the 70s cos he'd a big afro in them .

Advertisement