Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Still cant believe that Mayo gave a hammering like that to the champs, un-real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Poor stuff from mayo yesterday. Kicked a few wides and didn't win by more

Horan out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I don't think the supply was that awfully good to Moran, balls up the sideline neither here nor there, he tried to anticipate the bounce off the slippy pitch but most of the time a Donegal player got a hand to it.

O Shea, have to mention him again. Dominated midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Distanceman

Hard 2 get away from Mayo to go all the way this year after yesterday. The big worry is whether their strong enough mentally to get it done on all ireland day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Hard 2 get away from Mayo to go all the way this year after yesterday. The big worry is whether their strong enough mentally to get it done on all ireland day.

Well if they lose to Dublin (2 form teams) then it won't be anything mentally that was wrong. Dublin are a class team.

But people will still say Mayo choke in finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Congratulations to the Mayo team, on a fantastic game!

I hope they go on to win Sam (I think this might be their year, though I'm no expert!).

We'll see ye next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well that was fun :)
    It's good to see Donegal players , management and fans so magnaminous in defeat. The 2 counties share many similarities and have always got along so it would have been a shame if stupid paper talk ruined relations. Donegal will be back next year . Hopefully this is finally our year !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great win for the Mayo minors,Monaghan up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Just to make a point about Jim McGuinness and Donegal (I'm not from Donegal btw).

There is some amount of ****e written about them here and other places, especially these last few months. They were superb AI Champions, playing brilliant attacking football, based on exceptional hard-work, pace, organisation, and lots of skill. They strolled to an AI last year. So all those people saying they play negative football, well, you're just showing your ignorance really.

Secondly, McGuinness gets so much abuse from clueless keyboard warriors. What he did with Donegal over the last 3 years has been superb, himself and Horan are the 2 best managers in the game at the moment (Jim Gavin looking very good too). His mind-games before matches are what top managers do to gain an advantage. He showed his absolute class yesterday in congratulating Mayo and praising them to the level he did.

AOS put in one the great mid-field performances. He's like a minor playing against U14.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You got to love this lad, not!
    Tyrone man, so I am sure he will not like us for the next game either!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoltLJbyrQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ros-Mayo AI final, Mayo-Dublin senior final?

Ballagh will be a smouldering wreck by the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

yop wrote: »

Imagine that he was probably paid hard cash for that analysis

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Imagine that he was probably paid hard cash for that

I fixed that for you. :D

I fixed that for you. :D
    I await his next installment "Barret, McGloughlin, OConnor, Carolan, OShea These are all young lads theyve never faced the likes of Tyrone at their best"

I await his next installment "Barret, McGloughlin, OConnor, Carolan, OShea These are all young lads theyve never faced the likes of Tyrone at their best"

True :D

He is twitter I see and getting plenty of tweets! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

up mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its unreal some of the biased tripe that comes out of some of the northern pundits (not inc Brolly and McConville) especially this fella. He wasn't impressed with Mayo in the league. Thats fair enough but then to say hes been impressed with Donegal this year was laughable when they were obvious a shadow of what they were last year. Of course he finished his 'analysis' with a gem in that Mayo cant cope in Croker... Good lad Logie

True :D

He is twitter I see and getting plenty of tweets! :D
    What I would enjoy Interview with the real analysts. Bar stool, East Mayo 7th pint "Mick you were telling us earlier how Mayo couldnt kick the ball over the f*ckin bar in all those finals n they werent playin the Knockmore men What do you see thats different about this team?"

Well I said that both Vaughan and Hennelly were weaklinks for Mayo, they soon ramped that where the sun don't shine yesterday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

GBXI wrote: »
    Just to make a point about Jim McGuinness and Donegal (I'm not from Donegal btw).

There is some amount of ****e written about them here and other places, especially these last few months. They were superb AI Champions,playing brilliant attacking football, based on exceptional hard-work, pace, organisation, and lots of skill. They strolled to an AI last year. So all those people saying they play negative football, well, you're just showing your ignorance really.

Secondly, McGuinness gets so much abuse from clueless keyboard warriors. What he did with Donegal over the last 3 years has been superb, himself and Horan are the 2 best managers in the game at the moment (Jim Gavin looking very good too). His mind-games before matches are what top managers do to gain an advantage. He showed his absolute class yesterday in congratulating Mayo and praising them to the level he did.

AOS put in one the great mid-field performances. He's like a minor playing against U14.

Fair enough on the rest but they did not play brilliant attacking football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    donegal averaged 17.4 points a game in 2012
    dublin averaged 15.8 in 2011
    cork 17.1 in 2010
    kerry 16.6 in 2009
    tyrone 19 in 2008

god damn these defensive ulster teams ruining our game!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

overshoot wrote: »
    donegal averaged 17.4 points a game in 2012
    dublin averaged 15.8 in 2011
    cork 17.1 in 2010
    kerry 16.6 in 2009
    tyrone 19 in 2008

god damn these defensive ulster teams ruining our game!

Not attacking Ulster football. Stats are misleading i think most would agree that donegal were very slow and methodical in attack, fair enough it got the job done but wasn't entertaining to watch and not what i would describe as brilliant attacking football.

Kerry on the other hand averaged less in 2009 but some of the forward play and movement was outstanding. In contrast to donegal it was quick unpredictable, of the cuff and highly enjoyable to watch.

Iv nothing against Donegal they had far less ability then other teams like kerry and identified this by playing a system which won them an all ireland. A great achievement by jimmy's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Donegal were very easy on the eye last year, counter-attacking football at perhaps the highest level it's ever been played at.

I think Donegal are one of the most interesting teams in the country to watch.

Too many people think of Donegal as still being that team that waged a war of attrition on Ireland in the 2011 championship. They're not. That was a sledgehammer and Jimmy has introduced plenty of nuance to their game since then.

Donegal's first 15 is every bit as skilled as any in the country too, certainly as skilled as the current Kerry team which was your example. The only gap is beyond the front line players there isn't much so injuries to key players on Donegal's team hurt them more than other top counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Its unreal some of the biased tripe that comes out of some of the northern pundits (not inc Brolly and McConville) especially this fella. He wasn't impressed with Mayo in the league. Thats fair enough but then to say hes been impressed with Donegal this year was laughable when they were obvious a shadow of what they were last year. Of course he finished his 'analysis' with a gem in that Mayo cant cope in Croker... Good lad Logie

He's a muppet - and I'm from Tyrone. That video was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

I meant to say 'counter-attacking'. It's not the way Kerry (the usual benchmark) play but it was hugely exciting. They played the game like basketball, defended and then attacked en masse.

In my opinion, they have pushed the level of Gaelic football up another notch. Mayo are a very similar team in style. Also, for all the brilliant footballers Kerry have, I think for them to win an AI this year they'll have to reach a level of intensity that Mayo and Donegal have been at for the last 2 seasons and Kerry haven't. Dublin this year, not last, look to have that level of intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

anyone got a spare final ticket? Haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

anyone got a spare final ticket? Haha!

No but there will be plenty of spares for the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Kerry on the other hand averaged less in 2009 but some of the forward play and movement was outstanding. In contrast to donegal it was quick unpredictable, of the cuff and highly enjoyable to watch.

I disagree about Kerry in 2009. Against Dublin they were awesome but poor enough against Meath and played pretty defensively against Cork in the final. Struggled throughout the qualifiers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Warriors. Absolute fúcking warriors.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fowler87 wrote: »

Whatever about some nordie on youtube with his betting shop, but did anyone see Championship Matters on RTE on Thursday

Sean Amrstrong - Picking Donegal, "Mayo have not been tested"
    Eoin Mulligan - Picking Donegal , "once they get to Croke Park they will up their game"

I have no problem with these guys having an opinion but they should really put some work into their analysis instead of the lazy s**t they come out with.
    The dogs on the street knew that Donegal were a shadow of their former selves and no amount of playing well v Loais would mean that they would come to CP all guns blazing and suddenly up their game.
    As I said after the Down game on another thread Dongeal 2013 apologists sounded just like Dublin 2012 apologists

And as for Armstrong and hes 'Mayo have not had a test', as I keep saying it's not as if they have come from no where to be where they are, the same dogs on the street know that they are a credible All Ireland contender and no amount of hammering lower teams in Connaught can change that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement