Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Even if 5 other players had been booked, Prendegrast would still have gone. His 2nd wasn't the fact that it was shoulder to chest, he used the hurley to stop Galvins run, and to neck region.

At what stage in the game did Eamon Murphy get fouled again? If the game is on TG4 player I must have another look at it.

Surprised he was taken off actually, he was showing for the ball consistently in an outnumbered forward line.

First half, we were just getting into the ascendency so maybe we were a point or two down, probably around 20 mins.

I think Peter Queally can sleep easy knowing that one of the biggest criticisms of him is that we didn't lob in a free when the game was over.

As for withdrawing the man, it did mean that we weren't going to score goals but it meant Clare weren't either. There was no threat on the goal til Prendergast was sent off. They knew if they conceded goals we'd be bet but they were brave enough to do it. And it was working very well, and they had a well drilled and strong backline to. That platform given by Barry, Fives and Prender coupled with Power as an excellent choice of a sweeper helped. They also worked the ball extemely well up the field, which is a good part of the reason they won so many frees. And they had confidence in Jake Dillon's excellence as a free taker. The all-ireland u21 champions and Munster minor champions from 2010 playing us and we were on top and not looking in much bother until we went down to 14.

Some people are obviously forgetting pretty quickly that we have been beaten by an aggregate score of 37 points in the last three years at this level, the narrowest defeat a 5 point loss v Tipp in 2011 when we were 14 down at half time. I would happily give Peter Queally another run with this team given Fergal Hartely and Shane Ahearne both got two years, and both appear inferior managers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Watching the game last night, I wasn't sure what exactly Prendegast got his 1st yellow for so I had a look at it again.
    In the lead up, the ball spills loose, Podge Collins pulls, Prendegast blocks but goes down. At the time I thought Collins had got him across the back of the leg as he bent down immediately to see if Prendegast was ok, but when Prendegast got back up he showed no signs of getting a belt. His hurley was broken though, I'm assuming he blocked Collins' attempted pull and that's what broke his hurley.

Is it possible he got a card as the ref or linesman saw him with a broken hurley and assumed the worse???
    Unless something happened that didn't show up on camera.

Regarding the Eamon Murphy tackle by Jack Browne, lucky to escape yellow, not so much from the challenge but from the positioning. It wasn't the usual shoulder to chest, instead Browne ran into Murphy with his chest into Murphy's shoulder.

No changes to the Waterford minor team, said I'd just say that instead of posting the entire team. I guess they were a good bit better than Limerick for the majority of the game, so it's understandable. Hopefully they get the job done this time, would be in the depths of despair if we were to lose another game 11 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

No changes to the Waterford minor team, said I'd just say that instead of posting the entire team. I guess they were a good bit better than Limerick for the majority of the game, so it's understandable. Hopefully they get the job done this time, would be in the depths of despair if we were to lose another game 11 days.
    Very unfair to be criticising minors but I think they have made a big mistake starting farrell again, he's been poor in most of the games bar the clare one, would prefer to see cormac curran playing midfield and kearney wing forward but the management know more than I do so best of luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Watching the game last night, I wasn't sure what exactly Prendegast got his 1st yellow for so I had a look at it again.
    In the lead up, the ball spills loose, Podge Collins pulls, Prendegast blocks but goes down. At the time I thought Collins had got him across the back of the leg as he bent down immediately to see if Prendegast was ok, but when Prendegast got back up he showed no signs of getting a belt. His hurley was broken though, I'm assuming he blocked Collins' attempted pull and that's what broke his hurley.

Is it possible he got a card as the ref or linesman saw him with a broken hurley and assumed the worse???
    Unless something happened that didn't show up on camera.

Regarding the Eamon Murphy tackle by Jack Browne, lucky to escape yellow, not so much from the challenge but from the positioning. It wasn't the usual shoulder to chest, instead Browne ran into Murphy with his chest into Murphy's shoulder.

Would you go away Waterford were dirty simple as. What was the story with all the head high tackles , if the ref was any good more than one from Waterford would have seen the line.5 points from play does not say much for yer forwards it was the frees and many soft ones that kept ye in it. Also when the groundsmen were asked numerous times to water the pitch they refused. Another tactic to spoil the game and not let Clares skill destroy ye.

• Advertisement

spacetrap wrote: »
    Would you go away Waterford were dirty simple as. What was the story with all the head high tackles , if the ref was any good more than one from Waterford would have seen the line.5 points from play does not say much for yer forwards it was the frees and many soft ones that kept ye in it. Also when the groundsmen were asked numerous times to water the pitch they refused. Another tactic to spoil the game and not let Clares skill destroy ye.

I'm from Clare.

All the head high tackles, who else do you think deserved to be sent off??
    waterford had 2 high tackles, both resulting in yellow cards. Many of the frees Clare conceded were soft, but still frees, and stupid ones to give away. If Clare were more disciplined at the back ,this would have been less of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

I'm from Clare.

All the head high tackles, who else do you think deserved to be sent off??
    waterford had 2 high tackles, both resulting in yellow cards. Many of the frees Clare conceded were soft, but still frees, and stupid ones to give away. If Clare were more disciplined at the back ,this would have been less of a problem

For a start Prendergast should have seen a straight red and the lad who took Collins out of it.Browne for us could and should have got yellow but a lot of frees to Waterford were not even frees Mcinerney fair shoulder and when O Neill slipped and was met with an elbow how was that a free to Waterford.
    Sorry for assuming you were from Waterford.

For a start Prendergast should have seen a straight red and the lad who took Collins out of it.Browne for us could and should have got yellow but a lot of frees to Waterford were not even frees Mcinerney fair shoulder and when O Neill slipped and was met with an elbow how was that a free to Waterford.

Prendegast's 2nd yellow could have been red, the one on Collins a yellow for me. Yes the David Mac shoulder was harsh, but then again, Collins got one very soft free, think it was against Darragh Fives for a push/shoulder in the back when it was really nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Am i right in saying that if the minors lose on Tuesday they will be out again the following Saturday against Galway in an AI Q Final? Big incentive to win there.

Duggan also got a free off Kieran Powr (think it was Power) when he was the one actually fouled the Waterford player. Straight in front of the posts. Decisions go against both teams. In no way were Waterford dirty. Neither side was. Clare fouled a lot, you could maybe at a stretch accuse them of being cynical. Not convinced myslef, there was only the one cynical tackle on Murphy. However, you could certainly call the Clare Senior team cynical on the evidence of Saturday night, and a lot of players on both panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

From gaa.ie

Date TBC - Saturday July 27th/Sunday July 28th, 2013

• Electric Ireland GAA Hurling All Ireland Minor Championship 2013 Quarter Final
      TBC
      +ADD

Antrim
      vs.
      Munster Runners-Up
      TBC
      More info

• Electric Ireland GAA Hurling All Ireland Minor Championship 2013 Quarter Final
      TBC
      +ADD

Galway
      vs.
      Laois
      TBC
      More info

Duggan also got a free off Kieran Powr (think it was Power) when he was the one actually fouled the Waterford player. Straight in front of the posts. Decisions go against both teams. In no way were Waterford dirty. Neither side was. Clare fouled a lot, you could maybe at a stretch accuse them of being cynical. Not convinced myslef, there was only the one cynical tackle on Murphy. However, you could certainly call the Clare Senior team cynical on the evidence of Saturday night, and a lot of players on both panels.

More silly and needless than cynical, the only cynical foul was the one on Murphy, and that was the type of action I'd want a member of my FB line to perform every day if necessary.

Both sides got a few iffy frees as you say, pretty much happens in every match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

WumBuster wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that if the minors lose on Tuesday they will be out again the following Saturday against Galway in an AI Q Final? Big incentive to win there.

would be playing Antrim it would seem. Either way a Munster medal should be enough incentive for anyone to win

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Best of luck to the Minors Tuesday evening, dont leave this one behind you lads you are our last hope of any medals this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Best of luck to the Minors Tuesday evening, dont leave this one behind you lads you are our last hope of any medals this year.

no pressure now

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Tyres trive on presure and I think these bunch of young lads will also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Tyres trive on presure and I think these bunch of young lads will also.

oh ya ,our lads only fail when there's expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

U21 match was very disappointing. I dont think we have won a game at this level since 2009, despite producing good schools and minor teams for the last number of years. Looks like Clare and other counties are overtaking us big time at development between minor and u21 level.

Lets hope the minors can produce another big performance and finish the job they really should have done in the drawn game. 8 points is a big lead to throw away in the last 10 minutes but hopefully they have learned the lessons and will bring home the Munster Cup. Would be a badly needed boost after the u21 and senior defeats of the past week. Best of luck to the minors anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    U21 match was very disappointing. I dont think we have won a game at this level since 2009, despite producing good schools and minor teams for the last number of years. Looks like Clare and other counties are overtaking us big time at development between minor and u21 level.

Lets hope the minors can produce another big performance and finish the job they really should have done in the drawn game. 8 points is a big lead to throw away in the last 10 minutes but hopefully they have learned the lessons and will bring home the Munster Cup. Would be a badly needed boost after the u21 and senior defeats of the past week. Best of luck to the minors anyway.
    Rest assured ,ye won't be the worst.Cork are.

We have ony won 1 minor game bar against Clare this year at home,since 08.

Ye have harty cup winning teams ,Cork have none.We have players ruined at minor level,again being badly coached at U21 level.

We have won just 2 games at U21 level,and while yere manager is new,we have stuck with the same guy the last four years,and their is a strong chance,the same minor and U21 managers will be involved next year,which means things wont change.
    Ye won't be as bad as Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I am still trying to get my head around the latest case of a talented Waterford underage team failing to deliver in a game that was there to be won. It is the job of management to get their charges into the right frame of mind, to pick and set out the team properly, and to devise an appropriate game plan. I think the Waterford management got all three of these wrong in the game against Clare on Thursday night.

I thought that Clare were the more determined team. They won the throw-in at the beginning of the first and second halves and most of the rucks that developed during the course of the game. They also won the 50:50 contests and generally were better to react to breaking balls.

The whole approach of the Waterford to this game was defensive and supercautious. It is not clear to me that playing a sweeper and just two full forwards was as successful a tactic as some on this thread seem to think. It seemed to me that the players generally were not sure where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing, and the lack of structure to the way te team was set out was obvious throughout the game.

A lot of the problem was that the defenders were obviously told to follow the players they were assigned to mark, a situation which meant that there was no settled attacking platform. Darragh Fives seemed to spend a lot of time at fullback while Ray Barry, who scored 1-3 from play against the Kilkenny seniors, spent much of the second half at left corner back. This was crazy stuff.

Up front things made no sense at all. We had a strong wind in the first half but played only two players in the full forward line. Numerous balls were send aimlessly into spaces where there was either no player at all, or else a loose and very grateful Clare defender. We had no big man to act as a target for high ball coming in. Both Clare goals came directly from long puckouts which broke kindly for eager Clare forwards who were there in numbers. I don’t know why Cormac Heffernan didn’t start, but he has shown before that he can win ball or break it down. Yet he was not introduced until very late in the game.

Playing Jamie Barron at centre forward was the biggest mystery of all. What was this supposed to achieve? Here we have one of the most prolific scoring forwards in the county being kept away from where he is likely to do most damage. Barron is a very talented prospect, but his self-confidence must have taken a beating by the way he has been misused by both the senior and under-21 mentors this year.

Clare frequently play a two-man full forward but they try to make up for it by having speedy players breaking from midfield to create overlaps and point-scoring chances. The one man capable of doing likewise for Waterford was Donie Breathnach, and he showed what he was capable of in a brief first half spell when his strong running produced a point and a pointed free. Especially when Waterford were reduced to fourteen men, his strong running capability could have been of immense value. Yet he didn’t play the ball once in the second half. No allowance obviously was made in the game plan for getting the ball into Breathnach’s hand.

Nor was Breathnach ever used as a target man. Instead numerous balls were played down on Colm Curran who was not at the races and should have been substituted.

If properly managed, Waterford, playing on their home pitch, should have gone out with a positive frame of mind and instructed to get stuck into Clare. Back in May, a Waterford team, short their seven senior players, gave as good as they got against a full-strength Tipperary under-21 team in a high-quality challenge in Carrick. Donie Breathnach was magnificent on that occasion, as was Shane McNulty when moved to wing back.

I would have started against Clare with McNulty at centre back, Kieran Power on the wing, Darragh Fives and Stephen Roche at midfield, Ray Barry in the half forward line and Cormac Heffernan in the centre of a three-man full forward line. In last Thursday’s game, the lack of response of the Waterford mentors as the game began to move out of reach was breath-taking. I would have moved Tadhg Burke, a proven ball winner who was almost completely out of the game, to midfield and Darragh Fives to centre forward.

The Waterford mentors are also culpable in not dealing with the Paudie Prendergast car crash before it happened. Right from the start it was clear that Prendergast’s attitude was all wrong. He made a token effort to win possession in the first 50:50 situation he was presented with. He sent a couple of totally aimless balls into the forward line. He gave away a foul which produced a Clare point. He made a mess of a pick-up early in the second half which led to another Clare point. He got involved in the first free-for-all before that in which he ended up getting booked. I remarked at half-time to the person sitting beside me that if the selectors didn’t take him off he would be sent off, and I didn’t need a crystal ball to make that prediction.

Waterford also had no puckout strategy. Clare won three quarters of their own puckouts and the majority of the Waterford puckouts. All told, according to my reckoning, Waterford won 17 puckouts while Clare won 31. You can’t win games without securing a decent share of primary possession. I also counted eleven instances of Waterford hitting the ball to an unmarked Clare player.

If you have only five forwards you have to be very careful how you try to play the ball up to them. Too often Waterford hit balls blind with no intended recipient. Last Thursday night’s team also repeated a major weakness of the senior team i.e. hitting the ball straight to players with a defender right behind them, rather than playing the ball into space for players to run on to. Clare were very good at this.

I was astonished to see Austin Gleeson listed as substitute in the programme, and even more astonished to see him being brought on as a substitute. As far as I am aware, he played in none of the many challenge matches Waterford played in the lead-up to last Thursday, so it is not hard to imagine how the other players on the fringe of the team felt at him being drafted in like this.

Apart from that, it was embicilic (but unfortunately typical) of the Waterford County Board to even allow Gleeson to play in this game, just five days in advance of the minor hurling replay next Tuesday. I could see the obvious situation occurring where Waterford both lost the under-21 match and Gleeson got injured (although thankfully this does not appear to have happened). However, I can image how the minor selectors must have felt, as they tried to focus their charges on next week’s replay, to have their star player going off on a diversion such as this. No wonder Waterford win few titles at underage level.

The only really positive notes I took from last Thursday’s defeat were the fine performance of Kieran Power in his first year out of minor and the good shift Stephen Roche put in when moved to his proper position in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I am still trying to get my head around the latest case of a talented Waterford underage team failing to deliver in a game that was there to be won. It is the job of management to get their charges into the right frame of mind, to pick and set out the team properly, and to devise an appropriate game plan. I think the Waterford management got all three of these wrong in the game against Clare on Thursday night.

I thought that Clare were the more determined team. They won the throw-in at the beginning of the first and second halves and most of the rucks that developed during the course of the game. They also won the 50:50 contests and generally were better to react to breaking balls.

The whole approach of the Waterford to this game was defensive and supercautious. It is not clear to me that playing a sweeper and just two full forwards was as successful a tactic as some on this thread seem to think. It seemed to me that the players generally were not sure where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing, and the lack of structure to the way te team was set out was obvious throughout the game.

A lot of the problem was that the defenders were obviously told to follow the players they were assigned to mark, a situation which meant that there was no settled attacking platform. Darragh Fives seemed to spend a lot of time at fullback while Ray Barry, who scored 1-3 from play against the Kilkenny seniors, spent much of the second half at left corner back. This was crazy stuff.

Up front things made no sense at all. We had a strong wind in the first half but played only two players in the full forward line. Numerous balls were send aimlessly into spaces where there was either no player at all, or else a loose and very grateful Clare defender. We had no big man to act as a target for high ball coming in. Both Clare goals came directly from long puckouts which broke kindly for eager Clare forwards who were there in numbers. I don’t know why Cormac Heffernan didn’t start, but he has shown before that he can win ball or break it down. Yet he was not introduced until very late in the game.

Playing Jamie Barron at centre forward was the biggest mystery of all. What was this supposed to achieve? Here we have one of the most prolific scoring forwards in the county being kept away from where he is likely to do most damage. Barron is a very talented prospect, but his self-confidence must have taken a beating by the way he has been misused by both the senior and under-21 mentors this year.

Clare frequently play a two-man full forward but they try to make up for it by having speedy players breaking from midfield to create overlaps and point-scoring chances. The one man capable of doing likewise for Waterford was Donie Breathnach, and he showed what he was capable of in a brief first half spell when his strong running produced a point and a pointed free. Especially when Waterford were reduced to fourteen men, his strong running capability could have been of immense value. Yet he didn’t play the ball once in the second half. No allowance obviously was made in the game plan for getting the ball into Breathnach’s hand.

Nor was Breathnach ever used as a target man. Instead numerous balls were played down on Colm Curran who was not at the races and should have been substituted.

If properly managed, Waterford, playing on their home pitch, should have gone out with a positive frame of mind and instructed to get stuck into Clare. Back in May, a Waterford team, short their seven senior players, gave as good as they got against a full-strength Tipperary under-21 team in a high-quality challenge in Carrick. Donie Breathnach was magnificent on that occasion, as was Shane McNulty when moved to wing back.

I would have started against Clare with McNulty at centre back, Kieran Power on the wing, Darragh Fives and Stephen Roche at midfield, Ray Barry in the half forward line and Cormac Heffernan in the centre of a three-man full forward line. In last Thursday’s game, the lack of response of the Waterford mentors as the game began to move out of reach was breath-taking. I would have moved Tadhg Burke, a proven ball winner who was almost completely out of the game, to midfield and Darragh Fives to centre forward.

The Waterford mentors are also culpable in not dealing with the Paudie Prendergast car crash before it happened. Right from the start it was clear that Prendergast’s attitude was all wrong. He made a token effort to win possession in the first 50:50 situation he was presented with. He sent a couple of totally aimless balls into the forward line. He gave away a foul which produced a Clare point. He made a mess of a pick-up early in the second half which led to another Clare point. He got involved in the first free-for-all before that in which he ended up getting booked. I remarked at half-time to the person sitting beside me that if the selectors didn’t take him off he would be sent off, and I didn’t need a crystal ball to make that prediction.

Waterford also had no puckout strategy. Clare won three quarters of their own puckouts and the majority of the Waterford puckouts. All told, according to my reckoning, Waterford won 17 puckouts while Clare won 31. You can’t win games without securing a decent share of primary possession. I also counted eleven instances of Waterford hitting the ball to an unmarked Clare player.

If you have only five forwards you have to be very careful how you try to play the ball up to them. Too often Waterford hit balls blind with no intended recipient. Last Thursday night’s team also repeated a major weakness of the senior team i.e. hitting the ball straight to players with a defender right behind them, rather than playing the ball into space for players to run on to. Clare were very good at this.

I was astonished to see Austin Gleeson listed as substitute in the programme, and even more astonished to see him being brought on as a substitute. As far as I am aware, he played in none of the many challenge matches Waterford played in the lead-up to last Thursday, so it is not hard to imagine how the other players on the fringe of the team felt at him being drafted in like this.

Apart from that, it was embicilic (but unfortunately typical) of the Waterford County Board to even allow Gleeson to play in this game, just five days in advance of the minor hurling replay next Tuesday. I could see the obvious situation occurring where Waterford both lost the under-21 match and Gleeson got injured (although thankfully this does not appear to have happened). However, I can image how the minor selectors must have felt, as they tried to focus their charges on next week’s replay, to have their star player going off on a diversion such as this. No wonder Waterford win few titles at underage level.

The only really positive notes I took from last Thursday’s defeat were the fine performance of Kieran Power in his first year out of minor and the good shift Stephen Roche put in when moved to his proper position in midfield.

As with my previuos posts on this match, I couldnt agree more with your comments about the management and negative frame of mind and tactics this team were sent out with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Giveitfong wrote: »

Totally agree about Austin Gleeson he should not have been next or near the panel not to mind the pitch. couldnt beleive it when I saw him coming on. Would love to know who gave the go ahead to allow this to happen. Not that hes not up to the standard, whether he is or not is irrelevant but his priority has to be with the minors, a Munster minor replay final next week??this was sheer madness. If god forbid something happened to him and he had to miss the final or the rest of the year there would have been uproar. It would have been unforgivable and just because nothing happened him and they got away with it does not make it ok.

Obviously the lad himself is not going to turn down the opportunity to respresent his county when called upon but the minor management and county board should have come together on this to put a 'hands off' policy until after Waterford minors are out or at least until after the minor final replay, should the u21s progress.

Peter Queally and the u21 management should really have been concentrating on getting their tactics right on the day and working with the players who had been giving the commitment all the year instead of gambling on this lad in the hope that hed come in perform miracles which was never going to happen. Kind of summed up the managerial performance as a whole really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone know if WLR are doing the minor replay live?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

95% sure WLR are broadcasting the game live. Best of luck to the Minors!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Very unfair to be criticising minors but I think they have made a big mistake starting farrell again, he's been poor in most of the games bar the clare one, would prefer to see cormac curran playing midfield and kearney wing forward but the management know more than I do so best of luck to them!

Do they. I was talking to a Cork man over the weekend that was at the minor game against Cork and the Munster Final and he said to me that the Management team is very limited. He told me that he thinks Waterford got very lucky this year, as the talent the players have compensates for the lack of it that the management have. Playing an outfield player in goals in the first two games he said clearly shows that they are not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭enoughtaken

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyone know if WLR are doing the minor replay live?

Yes. Kieran o Connor and Brian flannary on from 7:15

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Black Suir wrote: »
    Do they. I was talking to a Cork man over the weekend that was at the minor game against Cork and the Munster Final and he said to me that the Management team is very limited. He told me that he thinks Waterford got very lucky this year, as the talent the players have compensates for the lack of it that the management have. Playing an outfield player in goals in the first two games he said clearly shows that they are not up to the job.

Hardly a unique occurence and happens very regularly at Minor level, I can think of three Tipp hurlers alone that played in goals at minor and went on to win AI's as outfield players - Jimmy Doyle, Eoin Kelly and Daragh Egan.

Hardly a unique occurence and happens very regularly at Minor level, I can think of three Tipp hurlers alone that played in goals at minor and went on to win AI's as outfield players - Jimmy Doyle, Eoin Kelly and Daragh Egan.

Was he still on the Tipp panel in 2010? And did Eoin Kelly really play in goal at minor level? I always heard people talking about him as the lad that was lighting up fields from when he played in the Tony Forristal.

I dunno but there seems to be something wrong with every single Waterford management team, I have a feeling it's more a problem with their critics. Anyone will make mistakes, only natural.

I do think it was poor that we managed to let an 8 point lead slip and you'd have to question the management there, but I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until after tonight at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I dunno but there seems to be something wrong with every single Waterford management team, I have a feeling it's more a problem with their critics. Anyone will make mistakes, only natural.

I do think it was poor that we managed to let an 8 point lead slip and you'd have to question the management there, but I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until after tonight at least.

Some counties, like some clubs, are simply better on the line than others. I don't know what it is, but it happens.

We've definitely had a problem with that in Waterford, which led us to seek outside expertise for so many years. A lack of tradition and success over the years definitely had an impact in this regard. Perhaps in future generations the revival of the late 90's to present day might have a long term impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Was he still on the Tipp panel in 2010? And did Eoin Kelly really play in goal at minor level? I always heard people talking about him as the lad that was lighting up fields from when he played in the Tony Forristal.

Yeah Daragh has a medal from 2010, he will be back on the panel next year as a Goalkeeper btw ;)

Eoin played in goals minor as a 15 year old and in fact was sub goalkeeper with the seniors he's first year on the panel, you are right about the Tony Forristal, I actually am from the complete opposite end of Tipp and we had all heard about Kelly from when he was 12.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement