Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Yeah Daragh has a medal from 2010, he will be back on the panel next year as a Goalkeeper btw ;)

Eoin played in goals minor as a 15 year old and in fact was sub goalkeeper with the seniors he's first year on the panel, you are right about the Tony Forristal, I actually am from the complete opposite end of Tipp and we had all heard about Kelly from when he was 12.

I saw Eoin Kelly play Tony Forristal, everybody who were there were all asking who this lad is. We all clapped for some of the unreal scores he got for such a young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Black Suir wrote: »
    Do they. I was talking to a Cork man over the weekend that was at the minor game against Cork and the Munster Final and he said to me that the Management team is very limited. He told me that he thinks Waterford got very lucky this year, as the talent the players have compensates for the lack of it that the management have. Playing an outfield player in goals in the first two games he said clearly shows that they are not up to the job.

I do not think as others have posted it's unique.

I remember Adrian power a fine GK,for Waterford underage,being every good as a forward,he played for Cork Vocational schools and got three goals against Tippereary.

He went to school in fermoy,across the border and was elgible to play for Cork.
    Darren Mccarthy a sub keeper for Cork,is a superb forward for Club,such that he was named on the Cork Club team of the year last year.

He is a top class keeper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I do not think as others have posted it's unique.

I remember Adrian power a fine GK,for Waterford underage,being every good as a forward,he played for Cork Vocational schools and got three goals against Tippereary.

He went to school in fermoy,across the border and was elgible to play for Cork.
    Darren Mccarthy a sub keeper for Cork,is a superb forward for Club,such that he was named on the Cork Club team of the year last year.

He is a top class keeper though.

Eoin Murphy, the Kilkenny goalkeeper, is another that springs to mind. An either Nicky Quaid or Aaron murphy, one of the two Limerick goalkeeprs play outfield for their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Kilkenny keeper Eoin Murphy plays in the forwards for Glenmore, while James McGarry also played outfield for his club Bennettsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just in Wexford alone:

Damian Fitzhenry - outfield for his club, and my personal favourite keeper of all time.

Eanna Martin (went to DLS school) has played both outfield and on goal at various junctures for Wexford, UCC and at club level.

Anthony Masterson - football goalkeeper for the county seniors, plays outfield for his club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Eoin Murphy, the Kilkenny goalkeeper, is another that springs to mind. An either Nicky Quaid or Aaron murphy, one of the two Limerick goalkeeprs play outfield for their club.
    Yeah it is quite common ,and always has been.Adrian Ronan won an all ireland in 92 as a forward for KK but was also a GK.

That trend will always continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Former Kilkenny manager Kevin Fennelly used to start in goal for the Shamrocks in the 80's. If things weren't going well they used to bring on a sub goalie and send Kevin up to the forwards.I remember seeing him score something like 1-7 in a match where he started in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Here's hoping we will hurl the way we can tonight and win another munster at this grade, its badly needed, i hope the players understand what it would mean to the county for them to do well, and are big enough to carry the pressure on the side at this time, as all our hopes lay with them being successful,best of luck and i must say at this time what ever happens thanks for the night in cork, and for hurling like ye do as when ye open up, its the best hurling i have ever seen from a waterford side, don't complicate it, keep killing the scoreboard, and we'll win this, tis well within them, C'Mon Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »
    Do they. I was talking to a Cork man over the weekend that was at the minor game against Cork and the Munster Final and he said to me that the Management team is very limited. He told me that he thinks Waterford got very lucky this year, as the talent the players have compensates for the lack of it that the management have. Playing an outfield player in goals in the first two games he said clearly shows that they are not up to the job.

Yea kk had a minor goalie in the late 90s that moved out the field the following year and that didnt work. Wat was his name again? oh yea Shefflin thats it...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

robopaddy wrote: »
    Yea kk had a minor goalie in the late 90s that moved out the field the following year and that didnt work. Wat was his name again? oh yea Shefflin thats it...

Henry Shefflin never played in goal for KK minors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sounds like a complete organisational mess there atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Bad enough to have the game on in Thurles, let alone have no stewards and allow both sets of fans do what they want in terms of the stands. Bravo Munster Council :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Can you listen to this online?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Kierean o connor keeps calling the waterford keeper colin ryan when in fact dats the limerick keeper. #doingmyheadin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Goal by Stephen Bennett and Waterford are level.

EDIT: 1 ahead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

3-8 to 1-13. real cracker on here

3-08 to 1-15. Limerick ahead now. We got a couple of points ahead but Limerick keep clawing it back. Sounds like a tough match.

10 mins left, limerick gone two up. we could be in trouble now

Limerick up by 3 and there can't be too long left, I don't think. Less than ten minutes anyway.

• Advertisement

level! goal by bennet

YESSSSSS goal for Waterford and we're level. C'mon the boys.

Limerick 2 up with a minute left. Hard to see it now.

Massively disappointing defeat, how the players will rue not finishing that game off in Limerick :( Fair play to Limerick, sounded like that deserved the win and possibly should have won by more.

Beaten by 3 points. 4-08 to 1-20. Hard luck to the lads. Sounds like Limerick well deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Thats what they get the last day for showboating when they had the game one.. Some of the 'stars' didnt do a whole pile tonight.. Lay off bigging fellas up before they do it at their own level..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Thats what they get the last day for showboating when they had the game one.. Some of the 'stars' didnt do a whole pile tonight.. Lay off bigging fellas up before they do it at their own level..

Great post, I'm sure that will go a way to encouraging young lads to play hurling :rolleyes:
    Quarter final against Antrim at the weekend, win that and we're right back in the mix with a game against Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Why do they need to be mollycoddled, it was clear case of arrogance the last day and tonight some lads didnt have the stomach.. Some people here were saying some lads were for a senior panel.. On what ive seen all season no chance..

Also who is the manager.. Never heard of him in hurling circles in waterford... How he can keep looking at Farrell and gleeson from Fmw is beyond me...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Dont have the stomach myself for Thurles till next year anyway.. 3 games there, 3 defeats and I think we coulda potentially won any of them. Fully agree we wernt the better team tonight but after the 3rd goal I thought wed really push on and finish the game.. Im seriously hoping it was jitters or something and not arogance because my sympathy shrinks by 100% if the latter is the case.
    Also it was a disgrace the mess the munster council made with the crowd however as long as they keep letting me in for free as an U16 I wont say much against them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The future is bright in both counties. Well done for a very sporting and hard game tonight. Ye only hurled in spurts tonight, we kept tapping away with the points. Putting Ronan Lynch at CB proved a master stroke by Limerick management. Ye didn't run through us tonight like ye did in the drawn game. Even when Limerick went 3 up at death, I was still wary because Stephen Bennett was on fire for you. Him and Patrick Curran caused us hassle but not enough of your other guys played tonight. We were that little bit more consistent with a greater spread of scores.

Ye really threw it away in the GG last day and have ultimately paid for it. But you are still there, beat Antrim and ye are in the semi against KK. Lots still to look forward to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement