Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Wise Man's Fear

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nody wrote: »
    And sadly book three is pushed to 2014 :(

Expect it in 2016.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Expect it in 2016.
    As it's already written (unlike several fantasy authors who went and died in the middle or looks likely to die before finishing the series) I'm a bit more optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Expect it in 2016.

Heh.

Was there ever any rumblings it would be released this year? 2014 always seemed more likely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Heh.

Was there ever any rumblings it would be released this year? 2014 always seemed more likely.

Nah I saw an interview with Pat late last year and he was saying 2014 at the earliest. I don't mind waiting if it means a superlative product though.

Anyone else here get in on the Name of The Wind playing cards kickstarter? I ordered 2 packs of cards, a poster and a set of talent pipes. Feels like plenty to tide me over in the meantime :cool: :pac: :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

As it's already written (unlike several fantasy authors who went and died in the middle or looks likely to die before finishing the series) I'm a bit more optimistic.

Sure wasn't it all already written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It depends on what's meant by written. There is a large gulf in effort and time between a very detailed outline and the actual manuscript.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

nesf wrote: »
    It depends on what's meant by written. There is a large gulf in effort and time between a very detailed outline and the actual manuscript.
    Rothfuss is a perfectionist as well. I remember reading how he'll go over each word he's written multiple times, writing, re-writing and tweaking. It'll take him a lot longer to write a page than other writers would. And that's before it even gets to his editor which will in turn mean further re-writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    Rothfuss is a perfectionist as well. I remember reading how he'll go over each word he's written multiple times, writing, re-writing and tweaking. It'll take him a lot longer to write a page than other writers would. And that's before it even gets to his editor which will in turn mean further re-writes.

I wish he'd given the same attention to the plot as he did to the language.

Nah I saw an interview with Pat late last year and he was saying 2014 at the earliest. I don't mind waiting if it means a superlative product though.

Anyone else here get in on the Name of The Wind playing cards kickstarter? I ordered 2 packs of cards, a poster and a set of talent pipes. Feels like plenty to tide me over in the meantime :cool: :pac: :o :pac:

In fairness, I'd actually really like a set of talent pipes.

In fairness, I'd actually really like a set of talent pipes.

They're really cool. There's a couple of varieties on the tinkerspack IIRC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Rothfuss it's seems he has had a bit of a backlash for fans on Facebook. A lot of fans not happy with the news he has sold the rights to FOX. I'd be worried too, FOX don't make good tv. Hopefully Rothfuss will have a lot of input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Rothfuss it's seems he has had a bit of a backlash for fans on Facebook. A lot of fans not happy with the news he has sold the rights to FOX. I'd be worried too, FOX don't make good tv. Hopefully Rothfuss will have a lot of input.
    No Fox can make good shows but cancel them in the middle or show them in the wrong order (Futurama, Firefly etc.).

I thought that this was only been optioned for TV? Fox have the rights but I'd be very surprised if it actually did come to fruition.

I actually wouldn't be too hard on Rothfuss here, for once. It was never going to be an option for HBO; firstly, because there is no way HBO even with all their infinite wealth and all that jazz would never be willing to have two expensive fantasy shows on the go and secondly, there's not the requisite amount of, ahem, sexual material (well, yeah yeah, other than the Felurian detour- but other than that the things pretty much PG at worst) and violence to make up their quota. It was always going to be a network and they're all much of a muchness really. Whether it's ABC, NBC or Fox, it's all the same methinks. It will be all about ratings... the reality is GOT would have been cancelled if it was on any of the Networks instead of cable, given how sluggish its ratings were early on.

I guess the key is to keep costs down and I'd assume they can do that fairly easily. It's a fairly intimate series with fewer locations and a small enough cast. My biggest fear is that I think this whole thing came out of Fox executives seeing GOT's success, wanting a slice of the pie and then scanning the bestseller lists to find another popular fantasy series. The show will ultimately need a strong artistic voice other than the author like GOT has Benioff and Weiss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I thought that this was only been optioned for TV? Fox have the rights but I'd be very surprised if it actually did come to fruition.
    Exactly - there's a huge difference between being optioned and actually going into production. All this means is that FOX can choose to make it if they want to but nobody else can do so until that option expires. Happens with other fantasy TV series as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    Exactly - there's a huge difference between being optioned and actually going into production. All this means is that FOX can choose to make it if they want to but nobody else can do so until that option expires. Happens with other fantasy TV series as well.

Yup AFAIK The Gentlemen Bastards have been optioned for a long time with no sign of any series coming.

Yup AFAIK The Gentlemen Bastards have been optioned for a long time with no sign of any series coming.
    I'd have thought this would make an excellent tv show; enough fantasy/magic to add a touch but close enough to "reality" to not need a ton of cgi.

Last I heard it was a film adaptation that was supposed to be in the works, not a TV series. I think Warner Brothers has the rights.

Lies would make an amazing film in fairness, it's pretty much a blockbuster in book form as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hope it's a film because if it's a TV show i'm picturing something really cheesy like xena or legend of the seeker.

Hope it's a film because if it's a TV show i'm picturing something really cheesy like xena or legend of the seeker.
    I think you could easily make a standard 10/15 episode series out of each book. Center it around the pub; throw in some mandatory filler stories (i.e. love story, disgruntled father/husband going after a certain assistent etc.) and you'd be grand (44 min per episode; 5 min intro, 3 min closure and mandatory 5 to 10 min in the pub puts you at around 25 to 30 min to advance the story each episode).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Sorry for bumping this thread but I can't wait for book three and I just came across this very rare tweet from rothfuss himself

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fantasy-casting-the-name-of-the-wind-tv-show

Sorry for format; on phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Sorry for bumping this thread but I can't wait for book three and I just came across this very rare tweet from rothfuss himself

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fantasy-casting-the-name-of-the-wind-tv-show

Sorry for format; on phone.

That's not a tweet from him?

There's actually 6 Pat Rothfuss twitter accounts right now - it's a competition organised by Pat himself for people to vote on which one is the real Rothfuss. So I'd take anything said on twitter with a huge bucketful of salt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The guy who wrote the article must be a namer. An actor named redmayne as the main character. Doesn't tweet much be he's around on the net, he's an admin on the rothfussians group on goodreads and pops in every now and then.

There's actually 6 Pat Rothfuss twitter accounts right now - it's a competition organised by Pat himself for people to vote on which one is the real Rothfuss. So I'd take anything said on twitter with a huge bucketful of salt :P

Today I learned. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Donielad

Jesus 2014....it's 2021, think it's time to move on. PF is a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Donielad

Advertisement