Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 24 hours.

Options
  • 07-07-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Okay guys after seeing some of you on here get through it and being inspired by the negative impact smoking has had on my appearance I am coming up on 24 hours without a smoke. (Only once or twice before in 8 years have I done that).

I'm writing here to make it more of a commitment because my mam smokes and she'll be home tonight and I don't want to just go straight for her pack. Mine are gone.

Can people encourage me please with some benefits they've noticed from quitting smoking.

Appearance? Skin/hair/nails/.

General healthy feeling? anything!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm going cold turkey. Has anyone experience of quitting while living with someone who smokes? Having cigerettes (albeit someone else's) always available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Okay guys after seeing some of you on here get through it and being inspired by the negative impact smoking has had on my appearance I am coming up on 24 hours without a smoke. (Only once or twice before in 8 years have I done that).

I'm writing here to make it more of a commitment because my mam smokes and she'll be home tonight and I don't want to just go straight for her pack. Mine are gone.

Can people encourage me please with some benefits they've noticed from quitting smoking.

Appearance? Skin/hair/nails/.

General healthy feeling? anything!

I quit 6 years ago. WAY more energy, lung capacity. Not feeling lethargic the whole time. Not embarrassed to talk to someone now and wonder if they can smell my disgusting fag breath. All I can say is be strong. I read a book called ... The stop smoking secret by mark Jordan. It literally changed my life. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I quit 6 years ago. WAY more energy, lung capacity. Not feeling lethargic the whole time. Not embarrassed to talk to someone now and wonder if they can smell my disgusting fag breath. All I can say is be strong. I read a book called ... The stop smoking secret by mark Jordan. It literally changed my life. Best of luck

I've been biting my mouth closed for years at this stage! Cheers

I've been biting my mouth closed for years at this stage! Cheers

I'd really recommend that book. It simply explains why you smoke and how how simple it is to quit. I know at this stage your probably thinking its impossible but its not. Ignore the voice in your head telling you that you need to smoke. you don't need to you just want to.

Ok I'll have a look for it. At the moment my tactic is I say I am a non-smoker, and when I think about smoking I am thinking 'but non-smokers don't smoke'.

Made it through the night and skipped the morning smoke so still goin!

• Advertisement

Keep going. Remember to ignore the little voice in your head telling you that u need to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When I gave up smoking a wise old man who lives nearby told me to -

"Never feel sorry for yourself when you are down as you can convince yourself that the fags are actually good for you".

Your food will taste better.
    Your clothes won't smell.
    Your breath won't smell.
    You will have more money.
    You will feel better about yourself.
    You will be glad you beat the habit.

Maybe it's because I have other psychological problems at the moment but half way through day 2 and it hasn't been too bad. Was smoking bout 15 a day john player blue. Apparently day 3 is the worst!

Going to bed pretty soon so bring on day 3. Was out in the garden where my mam was smoking and was okay. I think my mind is made up but I'm not getting complacent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Going to bed pretty soon so bring on day 3. Was out in the garden where my mam was smoking and was okay. I think my mind is made up but I'm not getting complacent!

Good going. Keep going strong. Check out websites like whyquit.org or app like cessation nation

• Advertisement

Cheers! Yea I've been reading up titbits here and there about the different benefits etc.

Never did that before as a smoker but it keeps me motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

money! i've stopped spending E300 per month since giving up.

A friend of mine told me he threw a E10 into a jar every day since he gave up. He has E7,000 inside in it now.

Cheers! Yea I've been reading up titbits here and there about the different benefits etc.

Never did that before as a smoker but it keeps me motivated.

On whyquit there is good info on nicotine addiction. Is useful to know what you are against. Keep it up in a few days you will be right as rain. In a month you will be away with it.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    money! i've stopped spending E300 per month since giving up.

A friend of mine told me he threw a E10 into a jar every day since he gave up. He has E7,000 inside in it now.

What's his address?

Well into day 3 and still going!

Haven't slept well since quitting but there has also been a bit of an ould heatwave.

Feeling a bit lighter physically than I usually do. Moisture is returning to my mouth/throat.

I can sense the last kick and screams of nicotine in my body today so I'm just gonna stay focused.

Writing here has helped a lot for me!

Your sense of taste will be returning to strength as well. The one thing I didnt like was the overly acidic taste of coffee. Thought it tasted a lot better than it does.

Anyway once today is done you are over the worst. Just take it day at a time and today as a milestone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

When I smoked the cost didn't bother me. I now look back on it and can't believe I used to spend €400 + a month on them. I think when you smoke your brain just cons you into ignoring all the reasons why you should quit.

Best of luck!

Well I had some cranberry juice there yesterday and I dunno, I was nearly wincing I could taste it so well. Food and drink generally just went into my mouth which was basically numb.

And already, I'm thinking how crazy I was. It was like I was in a bubble of ignorance.

Have had one or two craves today but nothing major.

Well I had some cranberry juice there yesterday and I dunno, I was nearly wincing I could taste it so well. Food and drink generally just went into my mouth which was basically numb.

And already, I'm thinking how crazy I was. It was like I was in a bubble of ignorance.

Have had one or two craves today but nothing major.

Ah good going. You will make it so. One benefit I was not expecting was no more snoring. Girlfriend said I wad snoring every night and since I stopped, no more snoring at all. Biggest advantage you will find will be thw freefom you now have, not having to get ip and go out and have a smoke. Smoking dictates a lot of things in your life and you will now have freedom feom that

As expected has been the toughest day so far. Caught myself a couple of times very briefly trying to rationalise having one (literally 5 seconds) but made sure to keep on top of it.

Physical cravings haven't been too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I never knew tomatoes had a taste!!

As expected has been the toughest day so far. Caught myself a couple of times very briefly trying to rationalise having one (literally 5 seconds) but made sure to keep on top of it.

Just remember there is no rational reason to smoke.

Do something to take your mind off cigs, preferably a crossword or puzzle which involves having something other than a cigarette in your hand.

AND most importantly -- Don't feel sorry for yourself.
    You are doing the right thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had my last one last monday afternoon.
    My imported Marlboro's, the brand i smoked a pack of every day for the last 30 years, were finished so i ended up with Pall Mall blue.
    Almost coughed my heart and my lungs out and that is when i decided: **** it, i will not pay €9.35 for a pack of Marlboro and will not smoke something that almost makes me puke my lungs out.

I have no problems not smoking at work, even go to the smoking area.
    At home it is not so much i want to smoke but my hands go to where my cigs and lighter used to be.

€9,35 * 365 ..... you do the math

Yes and I got through yesterday with slightly more difficulty. Today has been okay - when I catch myself thinking about them I just say '**** that. not happening'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Good for you jimmy finally biting th bullet, I'm off them 39 days now, still find it hard esp drinking but made the decision once I got past week 3 never to go back, think after the 1st few days its mind over matter :-)

Great stuff sarwal I was inspired in part by your thread. You just seemed to 'do it'. :)

Day 5 already? Really proud of myself so far, especially the mental fortitude which I was unaware I had!

Slipped up friday night! Had a couple throughout the night. It's a setback but thankfully haven't had any since. So moral of the story: watch out for alcohol!

• Advertisement

Slipped up friday night! Had a couple throughout the night. It's a setback but thankfully haven't had any since. So moral of the story: watch out for alcohol!

Learn from your mistakes

Advertisement