Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 24 hours.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Slipped up friday night! Had a couple throughout the night. It's a setback but thankfully haven't had any since. So moral of the story: watch out for alcohol!

Ah get right back on track right away. I almost slipped up as well after two months. Went to the shop yestersay and queuing up to buy some smokes. Haggered auld one coughing and spluttering ahead of me was buying smokes. Was a short sharp shock that I needed to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Alcohol is such a hard one, I've an ecig for that- hangovers are worse tho so be prepared. Good on you tho Jimmy one slip up is nothing as long as you don't go back to old habits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was on a 3 month course of Champix. Around 1/2 way through I brokedown and smoked maybe 120 over a weekend. That was 3 and a half years ago and I haven't smoked since. :)

Don't get disheartned ye'r still winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks for the supportive words guys. I amn't too disheartened about the slip up because I haven't had one since, so at least it hasn't snow-balled. Thinking back to just over a week ago where every hour I would have at least one cigerette every day, overall it has been such an improvement that I don't want to let having those few on friday take away from the whole thing.

I can't say I'm off the smokes 'x days' now which is a pity. Had alcohol yesterday and while I did get that pang I didn't act on it so that's another plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Every day you don't smoke is a success. Even if you had a day in the middle where you have a couple. Don't look for milestones eg. 1 day, 1 week off etc. Just concentrate on not smoking right now and you'll clock up the milestones naturally.

'Never take another pull.' Those words go through my head every time I consider smoking (usually just for a second after a few pints in a beer garden). Its so simple when you think about it like that. I haven't had a single drag of a cigarette in 11 months now and its the best thing I've ever done.

Best of luck. Your attitude is spot on. You'll do it.

• Advertisement

Just an update. Still haven't had a drag since my slip-up on friday. I wouldn't even call it a slip-up now that I look back, I actually said to myself 'I will have this couple of smokes (i think it was 3 throughout the night) after the food and alcohol. I said I wouldn't smoke anymore after that and I haven't since.

I am very wary of this becoming a pattern in that, I feel like I could really enjoy one or two cigerettes a week but it is a huge risk I suppose.

Basically I can very easily go without them now, I feel like I almost don't have to even think about it. Sometimes I remember 'oh yea I'm not smoking anymore' which is a good sign of the progress. But I'll admit I do pine for a one at certain times because I know I'd appreciate it, which was rarely the case when I was smoking, it was a mindless thing.

Physically, my skin is flawless, my hair (what's left of it) seems a bit healthier? Question mark because that could be my imagination. I can sing better or at least with more ease. And also playing football the other day there was a massive difference, it was my legs that got tired in the end but I felt fine breathing!

All I'd say to anyone thinking of giving up is that you can surprise yourself with your mental strength and willpower, you'll find you had reserves you never thought you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Go on Jimmy, I still on the NRT- trying to cut down but with holidays and a wedding in August not going cold turkey for a few weeks yet, just reading your journey makes me want to get off nicotine sooner- wont do it as I know myself but if I wasn't on hols in 2 weeks would do it!!
    Great for you :-)

Nearly a month! Exluding night-out-mishap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 51,391 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You should be finding it easier after a month. I did. Keep the focus though.

• Advertisement

Nothing should stop you now. You've also got over the novelty of quitting which is usually week 2. Keep it up

Yes I hardly think about it. I thought at home would be the hardest but so far it's been the easiest, even with my mam still smoking so fags lying around the whole time.

The toughest is alcohol, which I have succumbed to previously. But day-to-day smoking feels like it's in the past forever right now.

Thanks for the support!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,391 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes I hardly think about it. I thought at home would be the hardest but so far it's been the easiest, even with my mam still smoking so fags lying around the whole time.

The toughest is alcohol, which I have succumbed to previously. But day-to-day smoking feels like it's in the past forever right now.

Thanks for the support!

Having a pint was the worst thing for me after giving up the fags.
    I had to give up the drink for 3 weeks as I felt i'd smoke in the pub.
    The good thing now is that fags are banned in the pub.

Thanks for the support!

How's it goin now for you?

Advertisement