Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

It would be best to contact them and invite them to visit to prove you do not have a TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

zg3409 wrote: »
    It would be best to contact them and invite them to visit to prove you do not have a TV.

It is shocking that a person would feel like they need to invite a stranger into their house to prove they do not have something.
    The assumption is that you are a liar.

I don't have a dog either but noone ever called around to check:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

The alternative is to go to court and state you do not have a licence. Then the TV licence people will produce whatever evidence they have and the judge will decide of you are guilty.

Evidence they could use

1) Saw a glow in the window, it was a TV
    2) Old dish on the side of the house
    3) Old aerial on the roof

Then it's your word vs theirs. Even having an old aerial or dish makes you "guilty". You would need to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

zg3409 wrote: »
    Then it's your word vs theirs. Even having an old aerial or dish makes you "guilty". You would need to remove them.

I do not believe this is the case. A dish or aerial isn't a device that can receive and display a signal, which is what is legislated for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Probably best just to call them and tell them you dont have a TV. They'll send you a form to sign to say you dont have one I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

I called them, he told me the inspector said there was a TV, I said "well that's not correct".

He then told me to send an e-mail stating all the details as I knew them, so I've done that.

We'll see what happens next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Unlikely ...... but it has never been tested in court, as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would say it would win but only on a circuit court appeal.

It probably wouldn't. In the law, TV set is defined as a device originally designed to receive TV broadcasting - even if it is currently no capable of doing so. This clearly includes at TV which is broken, has had its tuner removed, or is analog only.

If the TV originally doesn't have a tuner ... Then it would be fine.

• Advertisement

I believe there is a good basis for a challenge.
    I would not be certain of winning it.

BUT ..... it is not worth the effort to do so ..... we will soon have a situation where each household pays whether they have a licensable device or not.

No, it is still capable of being repaired.

No, it is still capable of being repaired.

Never been tested in court as far as I am aware ....... unless you have a reference to such a court decision?

Never been tested in court as far as I am aware ....... unless you have a reference to such a court decision?

I do not.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da

Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

^^ seems pretty unambiguous though.

I do not.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da

Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

^^ seems pretty unambiguous though.

Oh, no doubt the 'general' advice is as you have quoted from the link above (and given in this thread) ..... my only point is that this advice has not been determined in the courts, as far as I know, and thus it is just opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would love to know where I can repair a CRT TV because supposedly they think it can be done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bob24 wrote: »
    If the TV originally doesn't have a tuner ... Then it would be fine.
    Except it would never have been a TV in the first place.

How ?

A competent engineer could replace the parts.

And remember it's a judge deciding not an electronics expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Except it would never have been a TV in the first place.

Right ... lets call it monitor then. But still the point is the same: as long as the device was originally designed to receive TV broadcast a TV licence is due even though it is not currently capable of doing so; but if you have a device that was never designed to receive TV broadcast then you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

This has probably been posted before but I couldn't be assed going through 15 pages looking for a similar comment. ( Why do they do that?) Its not as if your'e wasting ePaper by having multiple threads. Anyway....

RTE being bailed out by the taxpayer.:confused: WTF.
    RTE should spend only what they are able to collect and no more. They have adverts too remember.
    Close down the station, sack everyone and give the national TV reigns to TV3.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This has probably been posted before but I couldn't be assed going through 15 pages looking for a similar comment. ( Why do they do that?) Its not as if your'e wasting ePaper by having multiple threads. Anyway....

RTE being bailed out by the taxpayer.:confused: WTF.
    RTE should spend only what they are able to collect and no more. They have adverts too remember.
    Close down the station, sack everyone and give the national TV reigns to TV3.;)

Tv3 is also being bailed out by the taxpayer though a large Anglo Irish loan currently with NAMA due to the closure of IRBC. IRBC agreed to freeze 85million and interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Tv Licence
    You need a TV Licence even if you don't have a TV
    You still need a licence if have a satellite/aerial or active cable provider connection in your home even if no tv is connected or been used
    If you have the ability to receive a tv Brodcast you need a licence

If you have a Radio you need a TV licence

If you have Internet access in your home
    Including mobile phone
    If you have a computer or a mobile phone any device that can access the Internet you need a TV Licence

I doubt there is anyone at this stage who live in a house apartment be it there own home or rented who does not use at some stage the above

The new broadcasting bill and licence will replace the tv licence

TV licence is for all forms of radio and TV and Video and Music broadcasts you use on your home

Most mobile phones alone have ability alone to access a video or music Broadcast online today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

paulboland wrote: »
    Tv Licence
    You need a TV Licence even if you don't have a TV
    You still need a licence if have a Satalite/aerial or active cable provider connection in your home even if no tv is connected or been used
    If you have the ability to receive a tv Brodcast you need a licence

If you have a Radio you need a TV licence

If you have Internet access in your home
    Including mobile phone
    If you have a computer or a mobile phone any device that can access the Internet you need a TV Licence

Only possession of a TV or other device such as a TV tuner card in a PC requires a TV Licence. A radio or internet connection does not require a TV Licence at the moment, Broadcasting Act 2009 Part 9 refers.
    “television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

142.—(1) Subject to the exceptions mentioned in subsection (3), a
    person shall not keep or have in his or her possession anywhere in
    the territory of the State a television set save in so far as such keeping
    or possession is authorised by a television licence for the time being
    in force.

(2) A person having possession of a television set under a television
    licence shall not keep such a television set otherwise than in
    accordance with the terms and conditions subject to which such
    licence is expressly, or is by virtue of this Part deemed to have
    been granted.

(3) This section does not apply to a television set, which is of a
    class or description for the time being declared by an order of the
    Minister to be a class or description of television set to which this
    section is not to apply.

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

A Public Service Broadcasting Charge is on the way that will include all devices capable of receiving TV channels incl. TV, internet, mobile. Consultation due soon.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2013/Rabbitte+publishes+5+year+review+of+public+service+broadcasting.htm
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056927654

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That's correct, only the device connected to them capable of receiving the signal and displaying a TV channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

In the Broadcasting act, a television set is described as follows:

"“television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;"

I was wondering, if I removed the TV socket yoke from the back of the TV would it then no longer count as apparatus capable of receiving broadcasting services? Has anyone ever tried that or know anyone who has? What's the likeliness I'd get away with it? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If it has a receiver it's a telly.
    You could always repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

But then technically couldn't you modify a PC monitor and put a receiver in? They don't count as TV Sets.

Advertisement