Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Un-Big wrote: »
    But then technically couldn't you modify a PC monitor and put a receiver in? They don't count as TV Sets.

If it has a receiver it's a TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Not another one of these nonsensical threads - there are already several hundred of them here already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

If you have an aerial in the house, a socket on the wall, you're liable for the licence. Doesn't have to even be a tv in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Doesn't have to even be a tv in the house

Currently not correct.

"Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence." - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

From 1st Jan 2015 it is expected that the Public Service Broadcasting Charge will replace the TV Licence and all households will be required to pay it whether or not you have a TV or similar piece of receiving equipment.

The Cush wrote: »
    Currently not correct.

"Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence." - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

From 1st Jan 2015 it is expected that the Public Service Broadcasting Charge will replace the TV Licence and all households will be required to pay it whether or not you have a TV or similar piece of receiving equipment.

Currently correct I'm afraid, has been since 2009. If you have an aerial in your home, you need a licence. The tv is irrelevant.
    The new law just widens the net to all other devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Currently correct I'm afraid, has been since 2009. If you have an aerial in your home, you need a licence. The tv is irrelevant.

Not correct, who told you that?

The relevant section of the Broadcating Act 2009
    142.—(1) Subject to the exceptions mentioned in subsection (3), a
    person shall not keep or have in his or her possession anywhere in
    the territory of the State a television set save in so far as such keeping
    or possession is authorised by a television licence for the time being
    in force.

The Cush wrote: »
    Not correct, who told you that?

The relevant section of the Broadcating Act 2009

It's even mentioned in the original quotation you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's even mentioned in the original quotation you posted.

The receiver seems to be the important part of the act.The cable...etc is just it's means of reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you have an aerial in the house, a socket on the wall, you're liable for the licence. Doesn't have to even be a tv in the house

So, if I have a coat hanger I'm liable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Heres a quick set of questions to decide if you need to licence:

Do you own a TV (ability to actually watch something on it doesnt matter)?
    Do you have a TV receiver in your PC or laptop so you can connect the aerial to them?

If you answered yes to any of these then you are meant to have a licence, if you said no then you do not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might refrain from making accusations of this order without being able to cite some proof please
    It is the definition of what is a TV that needs to be properly tested in a real court not some district court in some 2 bit backwater in Cork.

We might also refrain from insulting entire counties, this isn't After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Un-Big wrote: »
    In the Broadcasting act, a television set is described as follows:

"“television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;"

A "broken"/modified etc TV set does not fulfil the definition above so the suggestion that such a set currently requires a licence is nonsensical.

As is the notion that an aerial/dish (without TV) etc requires a licence.

An analouge TV (no Saorview) does require a licence though the set is still capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services the fact that such services no longer exist is besides the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    As is the notion that an aerial/dish (without TV) etc requires a licence.

I don't think you need a licence for an aerial/dish. But you do for the apparatus that can connect to an aerial/dish such as a TV set, VCR, DVD-RECORDER, PVR, STB etc etc. which then provide general reception.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A "broken"/modified etc TV set does not fulfil the definition above so the suggestion that such a set currently requires a licence is nonsensical.

The broken set can repaired and so does require a licence. This has been covered many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The broken set can repaired and so does require a licence. This has been covered many times before.

A monitor could have a tuner fitted.

Yes it has been covered many times, but there is no definitive legal decision on the subject that I am aware of.

IIRC, there was doubt whether the requirement is 'capable of' or 'designed to' receive ...... if it is truly 'capable of' then a broken set *might* not require a licence.

I do not know definitively ...... nor have I seen anything that clarifies the situation.

In any case it is likely this point will be moot shortly, as there will be a 'household' charge in place of a licence, if plans I have read about are put into place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You take it to the dump for recycling.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't think you need a licence for an aerial/dish. But you do for the apparatus that can connect to an aerial/dish such as a TV set, VCR, DVD-RECORDER, PVR, STB etc etc. which then provide general reception.

I got caught for a satellite dish which was at back of my house low on ground. I got a letter stating an inspector had seen this and I needed a license for it. I swiftly wrote back asking why the inspector let himself around the back through a gate on my land (dish can only be seen from back and there was no way it could have been seen from a public right of way). I threatened tresspass and got let off. This was 5 years back in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The dish alone would not be enough to secure a conviction.

I could be using a dish to listen to radio stations. Last time I checked you don't need a licence to listen to music.

I think any apparatus that can be used to recieve rte is deemed viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think the inspector use any excuse they can think of, to scare you into getting a licence. Many people are afraid to take the risk of going to court. If the inspector says "I saw a TV through the curtains" and you say "no you could not have" it's your word vs theirs. In that case the judge will decide.

Same with a dish, they could say they also saw a TV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Does it say television set or apparatus capable of receiving a television signal?

We do not have Radio licence. Radio is not an apparatus that receives a TV signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

thought this new broadcasting licence would cover radio also. open to correction.

Advertisement