Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭mountain

6781 wrote: »
    Along with his intro moan for 20 minutes, it's all a bit tiresome. I think the radio at work will have a accidental fall soon.

It was a steady monotone of bad news, spoken in a depressing voice,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Texts have to be made up- the language/phrasing repeats alot.

"Hi Ray and gang. Just want to say I'm a 52 year old 6 foot 4 18 stone builder, and I'm in bits listening to that story"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hi ray i'm a 6ft 8 truckdriver and i think i've just killed my wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Hi Ray, I'm a 6ft 9'' 18 stone housewife, I absolutely love the show an I would really love your autograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

...And my 6 month old baby thinks mammy is mad dancing around the kitchen/crying at that story/laughing at your hilarious stories about your baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

...And my 6 month old baby thinks mammy is mad dancing around the kitchen/crying at that story/laughing at your hilarious stories about your baby.

That's another one! It;s the same stuff over and over...

He prompts those texts and won't read out an other types. I am convinced a lot are just made up.

Why does he rely these days on reading newspapers for 20 minutes before he plays a certain type of song.... Then the music... Oh the music- he really thinks he's sh1t hot on it- plays the inoffensive acoustic "quirky" tunes...

The odd one out quiz is boring and silly but not silly enough to be funny.

At the start he was funny and a good guy. Now he's a bitter baxtard who thinks he can tell 18-35's what religion to not practice, what government to elect and what to eat. Jenny is to blame.

If there was any... i mean any proper competition on the airwaves he would be obliterated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That's another one! It;s the same stuff over and over...

He prompts those texts and won't read out an other types. I am convinced a lot are just made up.

Why does he rely these days on reading newspapers for 20 minutes before he plays a certain type of song.... Then the music... Oh the music- he really thinks he's sh1t hot on it- plays the inoffensive acoustic "quirky" tunes...

The odd one out quiz is boring and silly but not silly enough to be funny.
    Jenny is to blame.

If there was any... i mean any proper competition on the airwaves he would be obliterated.
    I love rays music selections too be honest.And while the odd one out isnt as fresh as some other quiz's it's still good.

How is Jenny too blame for ray been poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Him and Tubridy are keeping each other in jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Because Ray lost a great woman in Geri May and then all he could end up with was a specimen that looks like a fat thumb with all the facial features you expect a woman to have along with a moustache.

Jenny messed with Ray's ego and now he's taking his dissatisfaction with his bedroom life out on the listeners every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Neeson wrote: »
    Because Ray lost a great woman in Geri May and then all he could end up with was a specimen that looks like a fat thumb with all the facial features you expect a woman to have along with a moustache.

Jenny messed with Ray's ego and now he's taking his dissatisfaction with his bedroom life out on the listeners every morning.

Jaysus that's a bit harsh. And Who knows why he lost geri may?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Who knows why he lost geri may?

True. Maybe Ray was just a *unt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Neeson is banned for two weeks. Needless to say any other comments like this will result in an automatic 2 week ban. If this thread does not return to discussing Ray Darcys radio show it will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

i honestly think its his team is to blame with the crap show.
    ray and jenny= together and all talk babies, life at home etc.
    mairead and jenny = best buds and talk about there privite life on air, nobody cares.
    ray and mairead= ray flirts with her and sometimes talks about sex etc.

if ray got a new team, and only him and 1 more person had a microphone then all would be better.

thinking about it actually, scrap the whole show

swiftman wrote: »
    i honestly think its his team is to blame with the crap show.
    ray and jenny= together and all talk babies, life at home etc.
    mairead and jenny = best buds and talk about there privite life on air, nobody cares.
    ray and mairead= ray flirts with her and sometimes talks about sex etc.

if ray got a new team, and only him and 1 more person had a microphone then all would be better.

thinking about it actually, scrap the whole show

If it bothers ya so much change the channel

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Those texts are annoying. It's made doubly annoying by the fact that Ray reads them with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

there is honestly nothing else on, ive tried all the other irish channels and nothing, if you read my comment about ray, there are some few pieces that i enjoy but somedays it could be nothing.
    id love it if he cut out the basic mistakes for a change, us the controls right and stop humming at the end of songs and listen to people when you ask questions oh and lastly cut out the family/home talk.

thats 4 very small things for ray to fix and would make a huge difference

swiftman wrote: »
    there is honestly nothing else on, ive tried all the other irish channels and nothing, if you read my comment about ray, there are some few pieces that i enjoy but somedays it could be nothing.
    id love it if he cut out the basic mistakes for a change, us the controls right and stop humming at the end of songs and listen to people when you ask questions oh and lastly cut out the family/home talk.

thats 4 very small things for ray to fix and would make a huge difference

Maybe it's some of those 4 things that has him the biggest listener ship in the country. He's just a normal person that worked for what he has today. He talks about family........ ( everybody has family) that's why people listen. He's not an over educated boring knob. He's down to earth and that's what makes him appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Maybe it's some of those 4 things that has him the biggest listener ship in the country. He's just a normal person that worked for what he has today. He talks about family........ ( everybody has family) that's why people listen. He's not an over educated boring knob. He's down to earth and that's what makes him appealing

Everyone has family yes. Not everyone has children or wants to hear about children, and HIS children, almost constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Whatever else Darcy is he is certainly not down to earth....

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Relax Ray, it's Okay :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Well now that made me laugh!

He seems to think he is the conscience and spokesperson for the whole country. He has no interest in anyones opinion except his own. If anyone disagrees with him, he is incapable of arguing his point, instead preferring to interrupt them, swear or shout at them, or most often sigh and tut at them. He can't be arsed preparing for any interviews, can't be arsed listening to what the interviewee has to say, and constantly tries to turn the topic back onto himself. He is possibly one of the worst interviewers on radio at this stage - although amusingly, a bit like Inspector Clouseau, he seems to believe the complete opposite.

He's been in his cosy little morning show slot now for so long surrounded by his little pack of yes men and women that he seems to think he's the king of radio. It's been a long time since he was any way down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

He's in his "cosy little morning show slot" for so long because people listen, which in turn generates revenue for a commercial radio station and keeps his yes people in jobs.

It is the Ray D'arcy show afterall and they are sidekicks if you will, a bit like Chris Moyles and his yes people.

If he wasn't successful he'd be out the door of Marconi House quicker than Karl Tsigdinos ( well Abbey Street anyway).

Oh how we like to see the mighty fall. I know it's a radio forum for discussion but I cannot understand why people who hate/dislike presenters on radio so much cannot just retune or switch off their radio. You'll give yourself an ulcer.

And just for the record I do think the "sh1t" comment to Shatter was a bit OTT. Shatter did deserve the dogmatic questioning though. He couldn't give straight answer if his life (or somebody else's in this case) depended on it.

Ah, the old 'if you don't like it change the channel' argument, eh!

Happily I am usually able to do just that. Although I am struck by the fact that if I listen for just a few minutes I will quite likely hear him sighing, swearing, doing an 'interview' that is either full of awkward silences or constant interruptions, or struggling to operate the equipment, or asking someone their height/earnings/etc....

I have no wish to see the 'mighty fall' (not a term I would have chosen myself in this context!) but I think he would do well to at least start showing a bit of good manners and common courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I wonder will the upcoming Geldof interview join the Seinfeld Pantheon of Cringe-Inducing Moments in Irish Radio.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

crazygeryy wrote: »
    maybe in some cases but theres ALWAYS ! some one in tears here in the car/kitchen etc etc

Not to forget when there is live music on the show, there is always somebody who gets shivers and/or the hair stands up on the back of their neck.

BPKS wrote: »
    Not to forget when there is live music on the show, there is always somebody who gets shivers and/or the hair stands up on the back of their neck.

Yes, always... all made up texts.

washiskin wrote: »
    I wonder will the upcoming Geldof interview join the Seinfeld Pantheon of Cringe-Inducing Moments in Irish Radio.... ?

Didn't hear the interview, but I have to ask: did we find out how tall Geldof is, and how much money does he have?

LLU wrote: »
    Didn't hear the interview, but I have to ask: did we find out how tall Geldof is, and how much money does he have?[/QUOT

Also, did he play rugby as a schoolboy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Heard snippets of the Geldof interview as I was walking around the house at the time. Really enjoyed the parts I heard, thought it was a light, cheery interview. Only bad part was when Ray did his customary "*sigh* You know, you should come home and sort this mess out. *sigh* We need someone y'know?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Heard snippets of the Geldof interview as I was walking around the house at the time. Really enjoyed the parts I heard, thought it was a light, cheery interview. Only bad part was when Ray did his customary "*sigh* You know, you should come home and sort this mess out. *sigh* We need someone y'know?"

I thought that was awful too. What made it worse was that he seemed serious. I don't know what exactly he expects Geldof to do?

Also found the texts insulting Geldof pretty awful. I used to think he wad a gob****e type comments. Why does he subject guests to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement