Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrage as Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers with live call to prayer during Ramadan

Options
  • 02-07-2013 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Channel 4 has said it will broadcast the Muslim call to prayer live every morning during Ramadan as a deliberate act of “provocation” aimed at viewers who associate Islam with terrorism and extremism.

The Channel 4 News weather forecast will feature the sunrise and sunset times, to guide those fasting between those hours, and each of the daily adhans will be broadcast live on the Channel 4 website.

Lee believes the Ramadan season, which includes video diaries of British Muslims going about their lives during the 30-day period, will be a hit with younger viewers.

A senior Channel 4 executive defended the broadcaster’s decision to provide extensive coverage of the most significant event in the Islamic calendar by suggesting that Ramadan was of greater interest to its viewers than the “blanket coverage” given to the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation by its rivals.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-4-to-provoke-viewers-with-live-call-to-prayer-during-ramadan-8682121.html

I Really don't know what to say about this i can only see more trouble ahead...:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Beats showing big brother non - stop is all I can say.. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

RobitTV wrote: »
    Channel 4 has said it will broadcast the Muslim call to prayer live every morning during Ramadan as a deliberate act of “provocation” aimed at viewers who associate Islam with terrorism and extremism.

The Channel 4 News weather forecast will feature the sunrise and sunset times, to guide those fasting between those hours, and each of the daily adhans will be broadcast live on the Channel 4 website.

Lee believes the Ramadan season, which includes video diaries of British Muslims going about their lives during the 30-day period, will be a hit with younger viewers.

A senior Channel 4 executive defended the broadcaster’s decision to provide extensive coverage of the most significant event in the Islamic calendar by suggesting that Ramadan was of greater interest to its viewers than the “blanket coverage” given to the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation by its rivals.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-4-to-provoke-viewers-with-live-call-to-prayer-during-ramadan-8682121.html

I Really don't know what to say about this i can only see more trouble ahead...:cool:

Ban all religion, sorts the problem. They're all headbangers anyway, the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

People are headcases. When people form religions they take it to the next level, of being headcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Completely disagree with this move-I dont see why people who arent of the muslim faith be subject to the call to prayer of a religion they dont adhere to before a channel 4 morning tv programme comes on-I take a similar view with the angelus being aired prior to rte six news BTW-I object to any call to prayer or any bells ringing or anything religious being aired prior to a tv programme or evening news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Am Chile wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this move-I dont see why people who arent of the muslim faith be subject to the call to prayer of a religion they dont adhere to before a channel 4 morning tv programme comes on-I take a similar view with the angelus being aired prior to rte six news BTW-I object to any call to prayer or any bells ringing or anything religious being aired prior to a tv programme or evening news.

But it gives us a chance to get the global news from BBC before 6-1 news starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So basically the angelus ..... Once a day, in the morning , for a month .... Good luck to them ... Yawn ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ugh channel 4 trying to be "edgy and cool" again, nothing new to see here carry on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ban all religion, sorts the problem. They're all headbangers anyway, the whole lot of them.
    Speaking as such, ban all atheists sects such as Communism, the last century would have several less genocides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I wouldn't have a problem with it because it's a Muslim thing, just that I think all promotion of religion, including the Angelus, should be removed from the media. If someone chooses to be a part of any religion then let them do it in their own time and in their own place, I don't want to listen to it.
    Having said that, I can't see it going down well with the likes of the NF or the EDL, I'd have to question Ch. 4's motives and judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not Muslim (or thinking of becoming), I'm lapsed catholic/atheist , don't careist, no prob with angelus/call to prayer....
    I'm not into dancing or ballet,I just don't bother watching strictly....
    The met office aren't a group I have much faith in... I don't object to the weather forecast :)
    Let em at it ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

But you`re not subject to it, just change the channel. Really don`t get how anyone could be outraged by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is the sort of thing that Channel 4 does, and it sort of in there remit to be shocking to a degree. Still I don't really see it being much use.

There are satellite channels that will do the call for prayer as well, and the people who would be interested in that, would tune into one of those most likely. So I don't see the point really. All it will do is rile the usual suspects, and play into there Muslims taking over the UK rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm opposed to RTE having the Angelus, mainly because they're the state broadcaster. However Channel 4 is effectively private so they should be free to broadcast it if they wish. Couldn't give a damn if it pisses off the EDL and BNP. I don't find it to be a particularly shocking thing to do, so what if some do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Who does care? Most people who have satellite TV have those Islamic channels on there. As with anything of this sort, if you don't like it just switch over.

You know I'm not sure this actually can be offensive to many people. It may just be a case of a crusading pioneer of cultural myopia at Channel 4 HQ who is over-emphasizing his own station's social relevance.

Lets see if this "provocation" actually causes any significant outrage before becoming outraged ourselves. The whole thing could be an ego massage for Channel 4 execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't approve of particular religions being officially sponsored by the state or anything, but I'm delighted at this "provocation". "viewers who associate Islam with terrorism and extremism" are bigoted idiots and anything which gets their knickers in a twist is fine by me. We shouldn't have to pander to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Who does care? Most people who have satellite TV have those Islamic channels on there
    Which would to miss the point. Niche TV stations are, as the name suggests, niche. They're hidden until people go looking for them. Broadcasting the adhan on a mainstream terrestrial channel is a (largely symbolic) attempt to bring awareness of Islamic culture into many more houses. Which is a hard sentiment to fault and one that fits well into C4's public service remit

Reekwind wrote: »
    WBroadcasting the adhan on a mainstream terrestrial channel is a (largely symbolic) attempt to bring awareness of Islamic culture into many more houses
    What do you mean 'awareness'?

They have some lad that calls people to prayer? Ok, now that this fact is established, what next?

I genuinely don't think most british people are likely to care. It just seems like a pre-emptory strike in the never-ending battle for self-satisfaction among some elements of the media. While I'm not opposed to it, neither do I think it serves anyone except Channel 4 staff and those who want to give it (and therefore, their own 'liberalism') a standing ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

They have some lad that calls people to prayer? Ok, now that this fact is established, what next?
    Maybe you'll find out when you watch the 20 second film that precedes the calls to prayer. Or maybe the very fact that this is in the news will actually make people aware that there's more to Islam than blowing up buses. Or maybe the very intrusion into people's living rooms of a specifically Islamic ritual well get some people thinking
    I genuinely don't think most british people are likely to care
    I don't think most British people know what Ramadan is. The only time you usually hear about it in the media is when the sports pages fret over whether a footballer will be at full strength during it. Outside of a few cities, it's perfectly possible to go through life entirely ignorant as to Muslim culture or ways... aside from that the tabloids tell you of course

Reekwind wrote: »
    Maybe you'll find out when you watch the 20 second film that precedes the calls to prayer.
    a whole 20 seconds?
    I don't think most British people know what Ramadan is. The only time you usually hear about it in the media is when the sports pages fret over whether a footballer will be at full strength during it. Outside of a few cities, it's perfectly possible to go through life entirely ignorant as to Muslim culture or ways... aside from that the tabloids tell you of course
    This sounds like more self-congratulatory nonsense, frankly.

Of course Iknow what Ramadan is, I always read Sarfraz Manzoor in the Guardian... but what about all those misfortunate tabloid perusers , country people , and sports fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Who cares? thats what the remote is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They can sandwich it in between repeats of Embarrassing Bodies, especially episodes about womens vaginal and breast problems, and one of Gok Wan's looking good naked shows.

And better still throw on a cookery show or two for the fasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Manach wrote: »
    Speaking as such, ban all atheists sects such as Communism, the last century would have several less genocides.
    Yes, because Hitler was such a militant atheist ... It's not like Hitler and almost all the top echelons of the Third Reich were Catholics whose religious traditions had been one of demonising Jews as hated Christ-killers for the previous millenium. Clearly that had nothing to do with it.
    I'm delighted at this "provocation". "viewers who associate Islam with terrorism and extremism" are bigoted idiots
    Because there's absolutely no link whatsoever between Islam (especially sects like Wahhabism) and Islamic Extremism?
    and anything which gets their knickers in a twist is fine by me. We shouldn't have to pander to them.
    I had thought Nodin Chamberlain would have been the first in with this but I figured one of you would show up eventually. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

SeanW wrote: »
    Because there's absolutely no link whatsoever between Islam (especially sects like Wahhabism) and Islamic Extremism?

Oh wow, there's a link between Islam and Islamic Extremism? A bit like how there's a link between being white and white supremacism, or being Irish and being a dissident Republican? Literally can't stop laughing at this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Where's the provocation? A call to prayer is hardly that shocking. What i want to see is a call to drink beer and eat rashers while painting a colour by numbers mohammed:D
    Sounds very much like a yawn fest to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...you know theres something wrong when something as boring as middle eastern lent gets a reaction.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...you know theres something wrong when something as boring as middle eastern lent gets a reaction.
    what reaction has there been?

I presume most people will be a bit perplexed yawning into their rice crispies, then forget about the whole thing completely.

Maybe the publicity will be greeted with an obligatorily daft remark from the BNP or someone (it would be only polite), which will be adequate for a group of hemp graduates of International Relations through Interpretative Dance to self-satisfiedly take their interfaith jihad to twitter. Tbh, this seems more about C4 and pleasing these kinds of people than actually facilitating any constructive dialogue.

#tolerance #muesli #glastonbury2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Oh wow, there's a link between Islam and Islamic Extremism? A bit like how there's a link between being white and white supremacism, or being Irish and being a dissident Republican? Literally can't stop laughing at this :D
    True, there are very few black Klansmen for example nor or there that many Anglo-English-Protestant members of Republican dissident groups (other than infiltrators).

But it is more correct to suggest that there's a link between KKK membership and white supremicism, or RIRA/CIRA membership and dissident Republicanism.

Are you seriously defending Wahhabbism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SeanW wrote: »

Are you seriously defending Wahhabbism?

He doesn't mention the sect in his post, so I don't see why you're asking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

and they tell me you need a TV licence to watch it!

desperate measures for desperate times I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

and they tell me you need a TV licence to watch it!

Channel 4, desperate measures for desperate times I guess.

Advertisement