Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrage as Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers with live call to prayer during Ramadan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

SeanW wrote: »
    True, there are very few black Klansmen for example nor or there that many Anglo-English-Protestant members of Republican dissident groups (other than infiltrators).

But it is more correct to suggest that there's a link between KKK membership and white supremicism, or RIRA/CIRA membership and dissident Republicanism.

Are you seriously defending Wahhabbism?

I was merely commenting on the utter absurdity of citing a relationship between something and its own radical element as if this is some sort of significant revelation. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Firstly its important to note that Channel 4 isn;t a wholly private station receiving a good amount of cash from the tv license fee.
    I've no problem with them doing this as Channel 4 is meant to engage more with minority issues, so broadcasting call to prayer could fit within that remit (and I presume it would be only short and for the period considering Channel 4 doesn;t show much religious stuff) what does annoy me is the fact that its being done to provoke a reaction, there's a big difference between recognizing the interests of a significant minority and engaging with them, and deliberately trying to be controversial.
    I also hope that they start showing the Angelus for a while to recognize the fact that RC are a repressed grouping which were until very recently barred from even marrying the Head of State ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

RobitTV wrote: »
    A senior Channel 4 executive defended the broadcaster’s decision to provide extensive coverage of the most significant event in the Islamic calendar by suggesting that Ramadan was of greater interest to its viewers than the “blanket coverage” given to the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation by its rivals.
    react to stupid by stupid

As a public broadcaster, it should avoid promoting religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

react to stupid by stupid

As a public broadcaster, it should avoid promoting religion.

Channel 4 isn't public is it? I was under the impression that the BBC was the only public broadcaster in the UK? Could easily stand corrected here however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Channel 4 isn't public is it? I was under the impression that the BBC was the only public broadcaster in the UK? Could easily stand corrected here however...

Nope, its private. Has a "public service remit".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Channel 4 is a publicly-owned, commercially-funded public service broadcaster.
    http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/about

It doesn't receive tax money though.

Advertisement