Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

i have a feeling that deb and 3beards are just sunshine followers i cant say of mayo football cos i dont no.where were ye when the league was on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

People on here saying that the Connacht Final should be played in London should get a grip - London are a special case and they are in no way being disrespected here. Mayo are arguably one of the top three teams in the country, expecting them to beat London isn't cockiness, it's realism! At the same time I was roaring at the radio yesterday, was delighted when they won! We might see Boris in Castlebar yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

naughto wrote: »
    i have a feeling that deb and 3beards are just sunshine followers i cant say of mayo football cos i dont no.where were ye when the league was on??

What on earth are you on about? And why are you bringing threebeards into this? From what I've read, he's far more insightful than you anyway.

People on here saying that the Connacht Final should be played in London should get a grip - London are a special case and they are in no way being disrespected here. Mayo are arguably one of the top three teams in the country, expecting them to beat London isn't cockiness, it's realism! At the same time I was roaring at the radio yesterday, was delighted when they won! We might see Boris in Castlebar yet!
    i watched it on line as there was a stream going around and the football looked like junior b game it was that bad.I two was roaring on london as its great for the game and for all london lads that would not get a look in there own country if they had stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Where I was for the league was at every game, home and away, as I was last year and every other year with the exception of a handful of games. Posting here isn't a prerequisite for being a football fan. Just because you don't agree with one of my posts does not give you the right to label me in any way. Your statement is way out of order. :mad:

• Advertisement

Where I was for the league was at every game, home and away, as I was last year and every other year with the exception of a handful of games. Posting here isn't a prerequisite for being a football fan. Just because you don't agree with one of my posts does not give you the right to label me in any way. Your statement is way out of order. :mad:
    a jesus relax for god sake this is a form about mayo gaa.do not go in to the after hours thread if you get upset so easy
    it looked to my that you where a sunsine fan cos i dident reconise your name,its usually the same people that post on her bar the few trools.
    not can we get back to talking about how much mayo are going to beat london by and stop all the fighting

i watched it on line as there was a stream going around and the football looked like junior b game it was that bad.I two was roaring on london as its great for the game and for all london lads that would not get a look in there own country if they had stayed at home.

You'd wonder what the hell was going on, both halves being so unbalanced, must have been one hell of a gale-force wind blowing across that pitch. Despite the depths that Connacht football has now sunk to it's always good to see the underdogs win (as long as it's not against Mayo of course :cool:). Unfortunately it's looking like that Mayo will leave Connacht this year a good deal less tested than they were last year even though they have played more games. Connacht overall has been very disappointing this year although the other provinces haven't been much better. Cork and Kerry will be the only teams who will get a right rattle before either hit the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

On the six one news it was reported that Mayor Johnson had congratulated London on their historic achievement but unfortunately he would not be attending the Connaught final in Castlebar,probably recording an episode of Have I Got News For You...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I don't understand why some Connacht men would be roaring for London yesterday. They are side of mostly non Connacht men against Leitrim from Connacht and shouldn't one follow a side from his own province?

seligehgit wrote: »
    On the six one news it was reported that Mayor Johnson had congratulated London on their historic achievement but unfortunately he would not be attending the Connaught final in Castlebar,probably recording an episode of Have I Got News For You...:D

Yes, I read his statement earlier on today, fair play to him for acknowledging the win. My comments were more in hope that contrary to what he said he will be sitting in the stand beside Enda come 21st July! You can never predict what ol' Boris will get up to next!
    I don't understand why some Connacht men would be roaring for London yesterday. They are side of mostly non Connacht men against Leitrim from Connacht and shouldn't one follow a side from his own province?

That's wide open to argument, why even should a man follow any team in a province bar his own? People were cheering them on not because who was playing for them but because of the novelty factor of a team from across the water getting into a Connacht final. Neutrals tend to go for the underdog, that's just human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will you get a grip, I must get my auld lad and his mate on here, the mustn't be Mayo fans since they don't post on here

Note: Doubt they have missed a league, FBD, Championship game in last 5 years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You'd wonder what the hell was going on, both halves being so unbalanced, must have been one hell of a gale-force wind blowing across that pitch. Despite the depths that Connacht football has now sunk to it's always good to see the underdogs win (as long as it's not against Mayo of course :cool:). Unfortunately it's looking like that Mayo will leave Connacht this year a good deal less tested than they were last year even though they have played more games. Connacht overall has been very disappointing this year although the other provinces haven't been much better. Cork and Kerry will be the only teams who will get a right rattle before either hit the quarters.

Think the same can now apply to Dublin, I THINK its two 16 point wins for them, zero opposition there in Lenister.

Ulster is a slight bit better but outside of Tyrone its poor also. That game on Saturday evening was shocking to watch, though again not helped by the imp in black, which was commented on yesterday on the Sunday game.

As for this "when we win", ffs if people are saying that then thats up to them, cockiness will eventually get a kick, but saying that Mayo EXPECT to win. We also EXPECT to win in the Quarter finals, after that then we don't know, as the other 4 teams in the semis.

Picking on semantics is lunacy. As said most of them weren't Mayo fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

But then who would London have to shout for them? Boris Johnson? The Trotter brothers

There's more Mayo men on the London panel than there is on the Leitrim panel so why not cheer for our own countymen? I guess it's in much the same way that Syferus supports Mayo ;)

i was roaring on london cos they where never in a connaught final before and it might be a long time b 4 we see them in it again

But then who would London have to shout for them? Boris Johnson? The Trotter brothers

There's more Mayo men on the London panel than there is on the Leitrim panel so why not cheer for our own countymen? I guess it's in much the same way that Syferus supports Mayo ;)
    syferus is a die hard mayo supporter he must be sick after the draw not to be posting to night

yop wrote: »
    Think the same can now apply to Dublin, I THINK its two 16 point wins for them, zero opposition there in Lenister.

Ulster is a slight bit better but outside of Tyrone its poor also. That game on Saturday evening was shocking to watch, though again not helped by the imp in black, which was commented on yesterday on the Sunday game.

As for this "when we win", ffs if people are saying that then thats up to them, cockiness will eventually get a kick, but saying that Mayo EXPECT to win. We also EXPECT to win in the Quarter finals, after that then we don't know, as the other 4 teams in the semis.

Picking on semantics is lunacy. As said most of them weren't Mayo fans.

Donegal were tested by Down, at least for 60 minutes. I was surprised at how badly Tyrone capitulated against them but Donegal still had to show in the first half. Mayo haven't even got that much so far. Once Dublin get going they are almost impossible to stop. They have a serious advantage in Cluxton, he is pointing so many 45s because as Martin Breheny said on the radio yesterday the reason they get so many is because they are constantly going for goal, something Mayo learned to their cost in April. Donegal and Dublin would be a very interesting battle but I hope we don't see it as more than likely it would be the result of Mayo losing! Without wanting to disrespect London I am looking forward to seeing Mayo in the quarters as it'll be the first good game they've gotten since the league.

Agree about people coming in here cribbin over semantics, some people just want to argue for argument's sake.

Its LOOKING like it will be Mayo v Donegal and Kerry V Dublin.
    From what I have seen so far it will come down to Mayo needing a couple of goals to put Donegal away and to not give them a quick start like the AI final.
    Kerry are AWFUL quite, behind door training sessions, all the noise is about Mayo/Donegal/Dublin. Cork seem to be hampered by injury and by retirements. I expect Kerry to come through that.
    In the semis well I do expect to see Dublin take them by 4 or 5 points, though Kerry "owe" Dublin and thats Kerrys goal all year for a rematch.

I do expect Donegal and Dubs in the final, that said I do like what I see with Mayo, get the full squad back and get the break of the ball and who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Is there any point in playing the game at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

i was roaring on london cos they where never in a connaught final before and it might be a long time b 4 we see them in it again

Little Leitrim haven't won much, they haven't reached the Connacht final since 2000 and could be decades before they do reach one again. I could kinda understand the "roaring" if London were playing and beating Galway.

Is there any point in playing the game at all?

We thought the same thing after the Salthill massacre.

• Advertisement

Little Leitrim haven't won much, they haven't reached the Connacht final since 2000 and could be decades before they do reach one again. I could kinda understand the "roaring" if London were playing and beating Galway.
    you said it your self leitrim got to the connaught final in 2000 london have bearly won two games in a row never mind make it to the final

They were underdogs and based on their performances over the last no of years they deserved to get to the Connaught final and neutrals were delighted to see them win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

syferus is a die hard mayo supporter he must be sick after the draw not to be posting to night

Tyrone is a really tough draw,Roscommon met them last year unless I'm mistaken?

Can't see passed Tyrone, its in the Hyde? If Tyrone are to be in with a chance, which I think they aren't, then they need to get passed Rossie with a good win.

Can't see passed Tyrone, its in the Hyde? If Tyrone are to be in with a chance, which I think they aren't, then they need to get passed Rossie with a good win.
    id love to see a shock in that game but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Three years in a row now I think.

id love to see a shock in that game but i doubt it

Be good to see Roscommon beat them, home patch, bit of guster and who knows.
    Galway will get through Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And Tyrone will beat them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Tbh I think they'll hammer Roscommon out the door. Tyrone will make a quarter final and whatever provincial champion gets them they won't look forward to it because they'll (Tyrone) have momentum.

The only enemies I can see for Dublin at the moment are themselves - that either they peak too soon, or indiscipline catches them out, but even if they lose players to red cards they have the squad depth to deal with it.

But, beware the Kingdom, and won't they love the fact that nobody is talking about them. They would love nothing more than an injury time 1 point win v Cork and nobody mentioning them as having a real chance in August and September. In my opinion, Fitzmaurice has pulled a master stroke by bringing Cooper out to the 40. He'll pull the strings all day long and there's no blanket that will cope with him feeding Donaghy. I think they're best equipped to deal with Dublin, because if Dublin are weak in any area, it's their full back line.

My dream final would be Mayo v Dublin. It could happen, but there's a hell of a lot of football to be played in the meantime. If I was to predict the semi finalists, it would be who I would also predict to win their provinces - Donegal, Kerry, Mayo and Dublin. That said, there can't but be a shock somewhere along the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

We thought the same thing after the Salthill massacre.

Only a match, no medals for the first round, real medals for winners of all Ireland's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement