Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/base-training-running/

Interesting article here on Lydiard base training phase and including workouts, thought it might interest you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Cheers p,interesting article and I agree Witt it. Doing much more tempo and marathon paced miles in this phase than I was last year after rereading the relevant chapter.

Sunday 23rd June: 20 miles in 2:29 (7:27 avg pace)

If I could have handpicked the worst possible day to do a point-to-point run going Northwards, then this would have been it. But, I'd committed to it by getting out've the car in Carrickmacross, with a lift organised in Clontibret, so there was nothing for it but battling on.

The wind and rain drove into me for about 90% of this run. The first mile was probably the worst, with a long uphill section on the Carrick bypass, and stuff that felt like hailstones battering me. And I loved it. These are the sort of long runs I always feel toughen me up a bit, a real workout that stands to me in races.

The route itself isn't a bad one. A few up and downs around Carrick, but good long flat sections around Castleblayney. Mile 1 took me 8:10, but got it down to 7:30 pace fairly rapidly. After Castleblayney, about halfway point, I started picking it up a bit, taking the pace down to 7:10. The old N2 from Blayney down to Clontibret is a quiet road these days, which was good after the heavier traffic. On mile 19, the wind started to die down a bit, so I decided to up the pace again. Didn't quite go down to marathon pace, but did mile 19 and 20 in about 6:40 apiece, so not far off. At this point, I saw my mother's car, about a mile before I'd expected, but the rain was starting to get heavier again, so cut the run short and jumped in the car.

Delighted to get such a steady long run done in what were truely sh!tty conditions. The 7:10 and 7:20 pace felt very comfortable into the wind, and the legs turned over very well on the last couple of miles. I'd plenty left in the tank, so my endurance has definitely improved a lot since that 16 miler I did a few weeks back where I was in bits the last couple of miles. This took my mileage for the week up to 84. I'll possibly do two recovery runs tomorrow. I may not be able to push the mileage up from the 80s next week, but I'll feel confident of getting into the 90s or close to 100 some week before the end of this phase.

Monday 24th June: 6.75 miles in 53:40 (7:58 pace)

Headed off pushing the young fella in the buggy for this, but decided after he nodded off to drop him back home as the legs were feeling very heavy. So, mile 1 was obviously a mess, taking over 10 minutes. Settled back into comfortable 7:20 - 7:40 pace for the rest of the run. The quads were fairly heavy after yesterdays exertions, which I expected.

Tuesday 25th June: 9.5 miles in 67:20 (7:06 avg pace)

I was a bit wrecked heading out on this run after working in the garden a good bit of the day, but I felt good once I got going. Did 3.5 miles MP in the middle of it. Glad to get in a decent run, as I was falling asleep 20 minutes before I went out, so expectations were pretty low. Might do a bit of interval work tomorrow if the legs feel in any sort of shape.

Wednesday 26th June: 7.5 miles in 50:30 (6:44 avg pace)

First time on the track in a good while. Was thinking of doing 800s, but when I got down, one of the other lads was planning mile repeats, so said I'd give them a go instead. The plan was to do them in 6 minutes apiece, but I suppose I had in my head that that should be the very slowest they possibly should be, so tried to aim for 5:50 - 5:55.

The splits were as follows:
    5:53 / 5:50 / 5:45 / 5:51 / 5:47

We did active recovery, one lap each time, very slowly, probably 2.5 minutes or so per lap. I don't like the idea of standing around for recoveries, and my partner was happy to do the jogging recovery, so it worked grand.

The pace felt fairly comfortable, was huffing and puffing a bit on the last two laps of the 5th mile, but not slowing. Very happy with the session, as it was the first time in a good while I've done anything like this. I'll try and get in a run of 12+ miles tomorrow, as the mileage has dropped a fair bit this week.

16 miles in 1:59:20 (7:27 avg pace)

Headed out the door without any real plan of where or how far I was going to run for this one. Legs felt a bit heavy for a mile or two after the session lastnight, but was grand after a bit. Decided after 7 miles that I'd add an extra bit in that I thought would bring it up to about 15, but didn't really mind when I realised it'd be 16.

Kept the pace very conservative. The fastest mile was 7:16, didn't want to do anything remotely fast, as I think the session and tempo work was enough speed mid-week.

I'm toying with the idea of a 10k on Saturday morning. Obviously a 16 mile LSR 2 days beforehand isn't the ideal preparation, but I'll give it a good rattle anyway. My 10k PB is fairly soft at 38:15 or something like that, so would be interesting to see can I dip under that. Won't get too hung up on it.

Friday 28th June: 5 miles in 39:00 (7:48 avg pace)

Easy recovery miles on the treadmill, I think I'll do that 10k tomorrow morning. Not sure what i should be aiming for in it apart from something under 38, so I'll go out at that pace and see if there's anything more in the tank in the end.

As I'll probably only do something around 10 miles at most on Sunday, i might try to do a couple of warm down miles tomorrow too.

Really only decided to do this race on a whim when I saw it advertised in the local paper on Thursday. The session the other night felt good, but the 16 mile LSR probably wasn't the smartest preparation for a race. Anyway, off I went to register at 10:30. Did a bit of a warmup for this, legs felt a bit stiff, but after a bit of stretching, felt relatively ok. Took a quick look around at the field, which looked a bit weak. Had a chat to a clubmate, and got ourselves lined up.

I knew from the first half a mile that there was a good chance I'd just be racing myself in this, but nevertheless pushed it out fast for the first mile to just put distance between myself and the field. Mile 1: 5:53.
    Had a quick glance behind me at this point, and saw that there were three lads still in sight, so kept pushing it on to try and put more distance between us. The second mile was done in 5:57.

Up until this point, the effort levels were low enough, but started having to work a bit harder to keep up the pace. Course was excellent in fairness, very flat, with a lead car in front of me, and plenty of marshals. Weather conditions were good, and I was feeling comfortable, so kept up the effort levels. Mile 3 and 4 in 5:56 and 5:58.

During the 5th mile, the race came through Laytown village. Bit of dodging with cars, and a couple of turns. Really working now to keep up the pace, slipping to 6:03 for the 5th mile. Still though, this was under 30 minutes for the 5 miles, something I've only ever done once before. At this stage, it really was just me and the clock, and was starting to fade coming through Bettystown. Thankfully, the breeze that had been there on the warmup was now gone, and I was able to stay strong enough through the last mile, done in 6:04.

Course measured slightly short, maybe 200 metres or so, but I broke the tape with the clock at 36:15. Average pace was 5:59 for the distance, which I'm delighted with. This was the first race I ever won, and finally, a 10k time that I feel matches up with my other times.

Did a couple of miles warmdown and had the craic with a few people.

Total: 8 miles with 10k in 36:15

• Advertisement

Sunday 30th June: 10 miles in 1:18 (7:51 avg pace)

This was my first time in a while to be out running at 7 in the morning, and combined with the race effort the previous day, resulted in a very sluggish and slow start to this. Was running aimlessly around the streets of Birmingham, spent as much of my time avoiding broken bottles and various other evidence of what must've been a big night on the town for a lot of the city's youth!!

Had a fantastic day after this at the Diamond League meet. Was great to be cheering on some legends of the sport, and see some really good racing. Irish participation was slim on the ground, with Laura Crowe, on pacing duties for the 1,500 I think, one of the only competitors.

Monday 1st July: 11 miles in 1:22:30 (7:30 avg pace)

Took it nice and handy on this run, with none of the miles faster than 7:17 or something. I'd a couple of hard enough sessions last week, and was wearing the Hyperspeeds and Green Silence only over the weekend, so legs felt as if they could do with a relatively easier workout today.

I'm not sure what way I'll structure this week, but I'll likely set it up as more of a higher mileage, lower intensity week than last week. I'll see how it goes. If time allows, I'll do high mileage. If I'm tighter for time, I'll do more speed work.

Tuesday 2nd July 12.5 miles in 1:32:45 (7:25 avg pace)

Run home from Citynorth Hotel along the old N1. Traffic was seriously busy right the way into Drogheda and through the town. Its hard to imagine how this road coped with the volumes before the motorway was built.

Didn't really enjoy the first couple of miles of this as it was lashing rain and there were lots of lorries passing me by, but was grand once I got past Julianstown. Weather was still sh!t, but the miles ticked by nicely enough.

Was half thinking of adding a couple of extra on the treadmill in the evening time, but decided against it in the end.

You're getting big miles in RFR, have you run today yet? Was gonna head to TC training tonight to get a few miles in if you fancy it?

Didn't run yet today PConn. At work for the first time in a good while, so might not be able to get quite as much high mileage over the next few weeks if I've a few days a week work on.

Yeah, I might head down to TC tonight for a bit of a catch up with people. Don't fancy track work tonight after the efforts of the weekend. I wonder what kind of mid-week distances they're doing with TC at the minute? I might go down half an hour early to add an extra few before the sociable miles. Is it 8 o clock?

Didn't run yet today PConn. At work for the first time in a good while, so might not be able to get quite as much high mileage over the next few weeks if I've a few days a week work on.

Yeah, I might head down to TC tonight for a bit of a catch up with people. Don't fancy track work tonight after the efforts of the weekend. I wonder what kind of mid-week distances they're doing with TC at the minute? I might go down half an hour early to add an extra few before the sociable miles. Is it 8 o clock?

7 o'clock. I'd say they are probably doing 6-7 miles. I have a bit of a dodgy chest so only gonna do a few miles, will meet you in there about 6.45 if it suits you.

• Advertisement

Feck, that's very early, I'd only be home from work at 6 and straight back out the door. Might give it a miss. The young fella's potty training, so its hard enough work keeping after him all day. I'll leave it until another Wednesday I don't have work on instead I think, or until the young buck improves his skills. Hopefully catch up with you at the weekend for a run instead.

Wednesday 3rd July: 9.5 miles in 68:40 (7:14 pace)
    Took it handy enough on this run for the first few miles, after a late enough dinner, but upped the pace a little on the last 3 miles or so. Not down to MP, just around 7:00 pace or so. Warm evening, sort of humid enough weather. This route down by Sandpit is a lovely one, down very quiet country roads, crossing the railway bridges.

Thursday 4th July: 3 miles in 23:00 (7:40 avg pace)
    Out before 7 in the morning for this wake up run. Heading to a wedding after work this evening, so this was the only opportunity of getting a run in. After 6 weeks of running every day, this short one was just about keeping the streak going. As always, my legs were slow enough to get turning over first thing in the morning, but was moving along nicely after half a mile or so.

Friday 5th July: 7.5 miles in 55:50 (7:26 avg pace)

Was wrecked all day, and trying to do some study as well, so it was 9 o clock before I got out for this run. Ran at very easy effort levels. Lovely warm evening. Took the pace handy, as I'm probably going to do a fairly long run today. Couple of the lads want to do 8-10 miles. Plan is to add on an extra 11 by running to and from the clubhouse to meet them. Not sure how the pace will work out, but not really too bothered. If I feel the urge to do faster miles, it'll have to be on miles 16-20, will see how it goes.

Saturday 6th July: 22 miles in 2:52 (7:50 pace)

Had a bit of everything in this run, I suppose I could try and put a positive spin on it and call it fartlek!
    Anyway, ran the 5.7 miles down to Dunleer to meet the lads in something like 6:53 avg pace, which was a bit silly really. Headed off with the lads around a hilly enough 11 mile route after taking the ridiculous decision of leaving my drink in one of the lads car, very clever given that temperatures were probably over 20 by this point.

The miles ticked over nicely with the lads, good having the company. Pace was fairly easy, mostly 7:50s - 8:10s. Was feeling grand when I set off from the clubhouse again for the last 5.7 miles home, but a combination of many things meant I was fairly tired after a couple of miles. It was really warm at this stage, not drinking properly, going uphill, a headwind, etc. seemed to all gang up on me so was just trundling home in 8-8:30 pace.

Compared to how good I felt the other week when I did the 20 miles on the N2, the last couple of miles of this were a disaster. Lots of mistakes made, but happy enough that I toughed it out and got plenty of miles in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Some serious miles here, what's your weekly milage at the moment & what do you hope to level out at?

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    Some serious miles here, what's your weekly milage at the moment & what do you hope to level out at?

I suppose at the minute mileage is in the range from 60-85, depending on how much time I can give to it. I'll likely try to get in another couple of weeks of close to 90 before going back to a consistent range of 60-70, but with greater focus on quality and the marathon goal pace.

Sunday 7th July: 6 miles in 44 minutes (7:20 avg pace)

Seriously hot afternoon out there. Had half planned on doing about 10 miles, but ended up spending a couple of hours spraying weedkiller around the house in the sun, and had planned a barbeque for dinner, so cut the run short to 6 miles. Hard enough work in that heat on the hills. With the sort of heat we've had over the weekend, I can say for sure that I would be rightly screwed if Chicago has a belter of a day in October. Anyway, I'm not one of those that complains about hot weather, we get enough rubbish weather for that. Lovely evening spent drinking beers and eating burgers again.

Monday 8th July: 8 miles in 54 mins with 6 at MP (6:44 avg pace)

After a week of relatively easy running, a bit of a nightmare of a long run, and looking forward to a 4 mile and 3,000 metre race in the next 10 days, I decided a few miles at MP were required. Headed off on a tricky enough route, with 3 miles of it being very easy downhill running, 2 miles being up and down and 3 miles being much more up than down! Hilly countryside my way.

Anyway, the first mile downhill as a warmup was grand. Still pretty hot, even though it was 9pm. Gently eased into the MP stuff on Mile 2 with a 6:40 before sailing downhill in Mile 3 and 4 : 6:18 and 6:27.

This is where it started getting a bit tricky. Mile 5 has a very steep hill climbing up from The Valley Inn over the M1 before sloping downhill again towards Tinure. Managed to still hit it in 6:21. Mile 6 is nothing short of a b@$tard. According to Garmin, 130 feet of gain, 0 feet loss, and on tired legs just managed to keep the pace under 6:30 still. Mile 7 was pretty flat, and managed to get time back down below 6:20 again.

Pleased with how this session went. I know its only 6 miles MP, but the route makes it a tester. Good test for Sunday's race too, as my recovery off hills is constantly improving, and something that I've been able to use to my advantage in races, and would hope to again next weekend.

I'm not sure what way I'll structure the week. I definitely still want to get in a long run of 15-18 miles, but with the race on Sunday, it'll have be done before Friday. I've Thursday off work, so might manage it then.

Tuesday 9th July: 10 miles in 76 mins: (7:36 avg pace)

On the treadmill for this, which was a bit uncomfortable in the heat, but certainly better than not running at all.

Did it as a sort of progressive/pyrmaid/recovery/makey uppey just changing the pace to keep from getting bored, type session. Started at 12km/h, increasing by .1 every 800 metres until 13.4 km/h, then working back down. The heat in the conservatory was ridiculous. Without the wind cooling factor you get from running on the road, the sweat was just pouring off me for this run. I was thinking when I was doing it, why would people actually choose to ever drive to a gym paying a load of money to run on a treadmill indoors in the heat when they could be outside?

Thats my rant for the day over. Truth is, I actually love having a treadmill in the house. For the times when Mrs RFR is off somewhere and kids are in bed, I've managed to do a lot of training that could not possibly get done otherwise. Good chance I'll be consigned to the treadmill again this evening, which pretty much rules out doing a session. I did do 800 repeats on it a couple of years back, but I find it a bit tough on the legs going over 15km/h, and the heat would make it a complete nightmare.

10 mile on a treadmill! :eek:

We actually ordered a new treadmill, should be arriving today. Hoping to get good use out of it in the winter months cause me and herself both work funny hours and it's hard to get out with the short evenings. Will have to buy a fan as well by the sounds of it!

Depends where in the house you put it PConn. In my infinite stupidity, I've ours in the hottest room in the house during the summer time. I suppose the original thinking was that it was the coldest room in the house in winter, and the views out the window are a nice distraction.

Interestingly, to put into context how much actual training I've done on it, this year I've done 98 miles on the treadmill out of a total of 780 to date. Since I started using Garmin Connect in December 2010, I've 400 miles clocked up on the treadmill. Those 98 miles this year are miles that I definitely could not have done if we didn't have the treadmill. I never choose it over the road, don't particularly enjoy running on it, but 100 miles of recovery/easy running definitely has to have benefits.

Whenever yourself and Mrs PConn have kids, you'll see the real benefit..... That why you bought it?

Depends where in the house you put it PConn. In my infinite stupidity, I've ours in the hottest room in the house during the summer time. I suppose the original thinking was that it was the coldest room in the house in winter, and the views out the window are a nice distraction.

Interestingly, to put into context how much actual training I've done on it, this year I've done 98 miles on the treadmill out of a total of 780 to date. Since I started using Garmin Connect in December 2010, I've 400 miles clocked up on the treadmill. Those 98 miles this year are miles that I definitely could not have done if we didn't have the treadmill. I never choose it over the road, don't particularly enjoy running on it, but 100 miles of recovery/easy running definitely has to have benefits.

Whenever yourself and Mrs PConn have kids, you'll see the real benefit..... That why you bought it?

There's more hope of the treadmill having kids that me having them, I can guarantee you that!

Wednesday 10th July: 7 miles in 54 mins (7:4x avg pace)

Treadmill again this evening, very warm again. Most interesting part of this run was watching to see would the stray cat chase our cat in the nightly ritual over which of them gets first picking of the dinner. Fascinating. Will be back on the road tomorrow hopefully.

Thursday 11th July: 13 miles in 1:35 (7:18 avg pace)

Well, this was my Long Run for the week. Had sort of half planned on getting out earlier in the day, but we were down at beach, weather got very hot, tar melting on the road type hot, so decided to leave it until evening time. Got the BBQ going at 4:30 in order to give myself some chance of food being digested before going out running.

Anyway, after very tasty burger, chicken kebab, pork rib, sausage and a solitary spud, washed down with some sort of fruit cocktail which was very tasty, got off my arse at 8:45 to head out the door. Headed down through Dunleer and Grangebellew for a change. Even at this time, it was still pretty warm, but the miles went by fairly nicely. A good few other people out training, gearing up for the Dunleer 4 mile race this Sunday.

On the 12th mile, a dog decided to join me after running out from a house. After my run-in with an evil, vicious mongrel last year that resulted in 10 days off the road and a suspicion bordering on hatred of the species, I did my now standard routine of shouting and roaring at him. To be fair, I think he just wanted a friend. Half a mile later, he was still trotting along beside me despite me trying to have a much more reasonable conversation with him along the lines of "Have you no home to go to"? And like Kaiser Soza, just like that, Puff, he was gone.

Friday 12th July: 7.5 miles in 56 mins (7:29 pace)

Easy enough paced run. Took it very handy the first half going down the hills, then picked it up a bit coming back up the hill.

Saturday 13th July: 4 miles in 31 mins (7:45 avg pace)

Easy paced run back from a friends house after a big old lunch of chicken wings and chips. Very very hot afternoon. It'll make for a difficult race tomorrow if its this hot. If it wasn't so hot, I'd be aiming for sub 23 in the 4 miler, but I'll see how hot it is, then run on feel.

• Advertisement

The race was on at 3, and at 10am, it looked like it'd be a cooler, cloudier day than of late. However, by 2 o clock on the way down to Dunleer, the temp reading was 25 degrees! I'd given myself the preliminary goal of running sub-23 for the race, but a few of my sessions on the hotter days had been tough, and legs felt a bit heavy during the week. Met up with a few of the lads down the road, and did a bit of a run to loosen up a bit. Even the half mile or so we did had me pouring sweat. Anyway, race time was approaching.

As usual, the first half mile or so of the race was crazy fast. I didn't want to go out too fast, but at the same time, didn't want to find myself too swamped so headed out in about 40th position for the first 1/4 mile or so. Things started settling down a little after about half a mile, and I worked my way up to about the first 20. Slowly but surely, things started settling, and I was able to pick out who my actual competitors would be. Most of them were North East Runners athletes, which would probably be important in the team standings.

At this point coming towards the end of the first mile, there were 3 lads from NER about 20 metres up from me, and two immediately behind me. I gave myself the goal of trying to beat as many of them as I could. Passing the first mile in 5:34, I heard the two behind commenting that it was too fast. Probably right. We all slowed down a bit on the 2nd mile, me maintaining the gap to the group in front, and the two still camped on my shoulder. Approaching the end of the second mile, these two lads passed me, and as a group, we were getting closer to the guys in front. Mile 2: 5:53. The third mile is a bit of a slog in this race. A gradual slope for about half a mile, then downhill a bit and then back up a short, sharp little hill. I maintained my distance of about 10-15 metres behind the group of 5 I had targeted. On the second hill, I could see they were starting to fade a little, and I was feeling fine, so closed the gap and went by the group. Mile 3: 5:58.

My recovery off hills is always pretty good, so as soon as I crested, I started moving away fast from the group. I could hear a couple of them shouting at one of their lads to get after me, so very quickly, I had company. This was to turn into a mile-long battle. The two of us, Niall I think was his name, were shoulder to shoulder the whole way back into the village. My lungs were starting to really hurt at this stage. With about 200 metres to go, he just started moving slightly ahead of me, and I couldn't respond. Glancing over my shoulder, I was happy to see that I'd a good gap on the rest of the group. Mile 4: 5:34. I was hammering it up the street now with the clock on the gantry approaching 23 minutes, and just managed to get in under it for 13th place in 22:58.

I was in bits at the end of the race, the last lung-busting mile really took it out of me. We just got pipped my NER for 1st team, but was happy with my own race, and was great to catch up with people I hadn't seen much of in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

The race was on at 3, and at 10am, it looked like it'd be a cooler, cloudier day than of late. However, by 2 o clock on the way down to Dunleer, the temp reading was 25 degrees! I'd given myself the preliminary goal of running sub-23 for the race, but a few of my sessions on the hotter days had been tough, and legs felt a bit heavy during the week. Met up with a few of the lads down the road, and did a bit of a run to loosen up a bit. Even the half mile or so we did had me pouring sweat. Anyway, race time was approaching.

As usual, the first half mile or so of the race was crazy fast. I didn't want to go out too fast, but at the same time, didn't want to find myself too swamped so headed out in about 40th position for the first 1/4 mile or so. Things started settling down a little after about half a mile, and I worked my way up to about the first 20. Slowly but surely, things started settling, and I was able to pick out who my actual competitors would be. Most of them were North East Runners athletes, which would probably be important in the team standings.

At this point coming towards the end of the first mile, there were 3 lads from NER about 20 metres up from me, and two immediately behind me. I gave myself the goal of trying to beat as many of them as I could. Passing the first mile in 5:34, I heard the two behind commenting that it was too fast. Probably right. We all slowed down a bit on the 2nd mile, me maintaining the gap to the group in front, and the two still camped on my shoulder. Approaching the end of the second mile, these two lads passed me, and as a group, we were getting closer to the guys in front. Mile 2: 5:53. The third mile is a bit of a slog in this race. A gradual slope for about half a mile, then downhill a bit and then back up a short, sharp little hill. I maintained my distance of about 10-15 metres behind the group of 5 I had targeted. On the second hill, I could see they were starting to fade a little, and I was feeling fine, so closed the gap and went by the group. Mile 3: 5:58.

My recovery off hills is always pretty good, so as soon as I crested, I started moving away fast from the group. I could hear a couple of them shouting at one of their lads to get after me, so very quickly, I had company. This was to turn into a mile-long battle. The two of us, Niall I think was his name, were shoulder to shoulder the whole way back into the village. My lungs were starting to really hurt at this stage. With about 200 metres to go, he just started moving slightly ahead of me, and I couldn't respond. Glancing over my shoulder, I was happy to see that I'd a good gap on the rest of the group. Mile 4: 5:34. I was hammering it up the street now with the clock on the gantry approaching 23 minutes, and just managed to get in under it for 13th place in 22:58.

I was in bits at the end of the race, the last lung-busting mile really took it out of me. We just got pipped my NER for 1st team, but was happy with my own race, and was great to catch up with people I hadn't seen much of in a while.

Jeez, I think I actually read this log a few times and did not twig who you were. I thought RFR was from Dublin and just followed PCONN's log. Will follow it now to chart your progress. Good to read a race report I am involved in. Any luck with the generator. That is a mad story. I would say a first for a chip company.

Cheers Niall, fair play to you pulling away at the end there, great finish to the race.

Didn't hear any more about the generator being recovered yet. Bad news. Dunleer's a fairly tightknit community, somebody will hear something about it I'd say.

I have just entered the 3K on Thursday night if you fancy a quick rematch. Gonna train hard this week including tough session tomorrow night and will give it a lash on Thursday.

It's on. I reckon the result will be the same, you seem to have a good kick there that I don't possess. If it was a 30k, I'd fancy my chances a bit more, but then we'd be stuck in Drogheda til near 10 o clock! Have never raced anything under 5k, so will be good to give it a go. In my ignorance, I think I should be able to run sub-10, but it'll be my first race ever on a track, so won't know what I'm at!

Sunday 14th July pm: 5.45 miles in 39:10 (7:11 avg pace)

Ran into Drogheda to meet family and friends at a bbq. Pace looks fast, but its all downhill so it was easy paced really. Felt grand after the race, the legs turning over nicely.

Monday 15th July: 9.5 miles in 1:06 (6:58 avg pace)

Ran around the Gallstown Rd for this one. Kept the effort levels fairly easy for the first while, the pace dropping down to 6:40s with the downhills. Kept it at that, while increasing the effort levels on the flatter and hillier parts. Good hillwork for the last mile and a bit.

With racing on Thursday, I 'll probably just be doing slower paced miles tonight and tomorrow, so wanted to have some sort of MP miles. It'll be the treadmill tonight, then not sure tomorrow and Thursday. Might try to do a few miles before work on Thursday. Looking forward to track racing though.

It's on. I reckon the result will be the same, you seem to have a good kick there that I don't possess. If it was a 30k, I'd fancy my chances a bit more, but then we'd be stuck in Drogheda til near 10 o clock! Have never raced anything under 5k, so will be good to give it a go. In my ignorance, I think I should be able to run sub-10, but it'll be my first race ever on a track, so won't know what I'm at!

So my "non pressure" 3K track race has now turned into a grudge match :mad:. 80 sec laps = 10 mins so might try and go out at 78 ish and see where it takes me. That is myself and Raws (do you know him) plan if you wanna jump on the train. He ran 22.21 on Sunday so I will try and stay with him for as long as possible. Our club session is tonight and I am not easing off as my target is 2 wweks hard training for Carlingford 5K on 02nd August.

Yeah, sounds good Niall. I've no idea how to pace a 3k race to be honest, so if there's a couple of ye that have similar target, all the better. Will try and run that pace, then see whats in the tank in the last 400-600m. I'm sure you'll ease away from me again, but what harm. Grudge match it is, bring your gumshield and shinguards.

We'll have to get someone to do up some odds for this race now to make it a bit more interesting!

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    We'll have to get someone to do up some odds for this race now to make it a bit more interesting!

Just left Paddy Power
    10/11 RFR
    250/1 Dead Heat
    11/10 NiallG4

I put 11,000 on RFR. I think I am gonna have a stinker.

I can just see the headlines in The Drogheda:

Louth Track and Field Championships results under investigation following irregular betting activities on two athletes. AAI and IAAF investigators have temporarily suspended both competitors from all activities.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/166740636

Just found my only track race in 19 years. Did not take long to find. I was gonna do the 400m for the crack but just seen the timetable and it is the race before the 3K.

Unless I get pushed into other events, I think I'll stick to the 3k. Other possibility might be the 1,500just to give PConn062 a chance to get some bragging rights on me.. The absolute opposite of Jerry Kiernan, has spent the last 2 years trying to get me to come down the distances!! Only problem is, I don't have compression sleeves..

Unless I get pushed into other events, I think I'll stick to the 3k. Other possibility might be the 1,500just to give PConn062 a chance to get some bragging rights on me.. The absolute opposite of Jerry Kiernan, has spent the last 2 years trying to get me to come down the distances!! Only problem is, I don't have compression sleeves..

Compression sleeves in 20 degrees heat :eek:. Does he start by swimming in the steeplechase pond and then cycle after the run. I have worn compression socks recently but had to get NER permission to wear them due to achilles/calf injury. If anyone calls me a triathlete they get binned. I know I am gonna be like a kid in a sweet shop on Thursday looking to enter all races but hopefully I will wait for the 3K.

Tuesday 16th July: 6 miles in 47 mins (7:50 pace)

After not really doing a recovery run after Sunday's race, I took it very easy on the treadmill for this. Hamstring was a bit tight for the start of it, but loosened up nicely. Every window and the doors open in the conservatory still didn't give any cooling affect, fairly uncomfortable heat for running indoors.

Will get out on the roads this evening for a longer mid-week run than of late, probably something like 14-16 miles being the plan. I'll accept its not good preparation for racing on the track tomorrow, but I want to get another decent week of mileage in before the end of the month, and specific marathon training starts. Can't let a 3,000 metre race be a sideshow, even if it is a grudge match with a half dozen lads from North East Runners, or the possibility of getting blown out of it by wannabe track fairies!!!

• Advertisement

There will be 3 of us NER's. One will run close to 9 mins and then we will run hopefully around 9.59 ish. I will stand out like a sore thumb dressed in a black singlet and shorts with no gimmicky add ons. Not even spikes.

Spikes? Those are for cross-country. Although, funnilly enough, my cross-country spikes are actually track spikes according to PConn. I'll be sticking to the racing flats as well, don't want to get mud all over the track.

Wednesday 17th July: 15.5 miles in 1:56 (7:29 pace)

Went out very handy on this run at 6:45 in the evening. Still fairly hot and sunny. Did a nice old route out the Boyne Estuary towards Baltray, on ahead to Termonfeckin and back up to Monasterboice. Baltray is quite an eccentric little place, with its Wildfowl Sanctuary and general randomness. Today's random sightings included watching with morbid fascination as a water skier fell off his skis at speed into the Boyne. As I was watching him belting up and down the river, I couldn't help but think how many drownings there've been around that area, the currents are meant to be woeful. Anyway, the lads in the boat turned quicksmart and got him out, he never really looked too bothered anyway.

On up the road and for the second or third time on this stretch, I came across people playing Road Bowls. I used to associate this game with the travelling community of the 1950s and 60s or little pockets in the West of Ireland, but Baltray seems to be a right hotspot for it.

One of my friends has recently moved into a house in Termonfeckin, so I called in for a 15 minute chat on the way by. A very enjoyable medium-long run, with the effort levels only rising above easy on the 600 foot climb back to the house. Considering getting up tomorrow for a short run before work, 4 miles maybe.

The Buildup
    So, after nearly 8 years of running in which I've done 14 marathons, about 10 halfs, a fair bit of cross-country lately and approximately 15,000 miles of running give or take a few thousand, it was time to make my track debut. I'd have been happier if there'd been a 10k or 5k race, but unfortunately 3k was the longest race they had.

I was actually a little bit nervous for this race. I'm not usually the fastest starter in the world, usually take a good half mile or more to get myself going. This, along with the fact that the legs were a bit heavy and the hammer still a bit tight wasn't filling me with any confidence. NiallG4's energetic bouncing and stretching routines had me fearing the worst. This grudge match had the potential to turn into a complete butchering.

Anyway, after watching PConn pick up his silver medal after a bout of argy-bargy with his brother, we got ourselves off to the start line. PConn and the club coach had a bit of advice for me, telling me not to go off too fast. That'd suit me fine. Also, the target was 80 seconds a lap. That on the other hand, might not suit me.

The race
    The gun fired and we went off. NiallG4 and his band of merry men took off like hares. I found myself firmly in the mid-pack with the ladies, and people I should really be much faster than. About 300 metres in, the legs started to feel somewhat normal, so I started making my first move, clearing myself of the back end of the field. First lap was over in a flash, with DC informing me the lap time was 82 seconds and PConn hollering "That's your group" at me. Unbelievably naive and frankly unambitious first lap from me, in fairness.

Got my act together in the second lap, making up the 10 metres that had opened up to the group that I should be with. I sat happy with this group for a while, and got a little comfortable in it. The laps flew by very quickly, and I think they were all closer to 80 seconds now, though probably not under it. About four laps in, I was thinking the group I was with might be fading a little, which was indeed confirmed by my clubmates trackside. I started working closer to the front of that group. Lo and behold after a lap of doing a bit of solid work, I could actually see NiallG4 and JG up ahead. The gap was too big to bridge, but it wasn't a complete chasm.

As I was starting my last lap, Dunleer's own Karl Dunne crossed the line in a blistering 8:39, obliterating the field. I didn't have the energy to say anything to him, just had to keep working. I'd lost count of positions, time and pretty much anything apart from the fact that there was one lap to go, and there was a Drogheda and District guy directly in front of me who had destroyed me in a sprint finish in the Boyne 10k. At the 200 metres to go point, PConn advised that I was 3 seconds outside 10 minute time. I had to work apparently. I had a wonderful vision of myself coming onto the home stretch and flying the last 100 metres in 15 seconds. That didn't happen of course. My lungs were exploding, I don't really have a sprint finish. The best I could do was maintain position and make some sort of a noise to indicate that I was trying. I crossed the line in 10:03:81.

Post race thoughts
    After lying down for a couple of minutes and then reflecting on it, I found that I really didn't care that I hadn't gone under 10 minutes that much. I raced 2,500 of this quite well, at a pace that is well above anything I ever train at, and held my own with runners that usually have time to spare on me. The fact that I did the total polar opposite of tapering probably didn't help my time, but this race was so far down the pecking list of important events this summer that I didn't want to lose focus for the sake of it.
    I have to admit I really enjoyed the racing on the track, the boys reckon I'll easily break 10 the next time. Its taken me 8 years to run on the track, I'll definitely not leave it as long again.

I jumped in the car after a quick shower and headed straight for Galway. Only decided to check the official results this morning. As it turns out, I was second placed Senior, and the winner was that fella right in front of me!!! There you go, my first ever T&F medal that will sit proudly alongside the 100s of ones that Mrs RFR has. Good evening's work.

Friday 19th July: 8.5 miles in 1:03 (7:26 pace)

Very, very hot weather for running up a mountain in Connemara. But, really enjoyed it. Dispensed with the running vest altogether, and was glad I did. The hills on this route are a bit cruel, but I felt fairly good. Looking at the soles of my runners afterwards shows how much damage has been done during the last couple of weeks of running on hot, molten tar. This pair of Elixirs has over 700 miles on them, so I'll just run them into the ground on hot tar, and ditch them soon enough.

Saturday 20th July: 5 hours working in the bog, followed by 11 miles in 1:21 (7:21 pace)
    I'll hold my hands up for this one, this was stupid. I cut a bank of turf a couple of years ago that due to bad weather, never got in before. I'd about 30 bags to carry back in from the bog on my back. Enjoyable couple of hours work, but then I decided I'd head up to a relative's bank of turf to try and get it all stacked for him. Hammers felt a little bit tight after it, so instead of taking it easy for the evening, put the runners on straight away and headed out for an "easy" 10 which for some reason I extended to 11 and put two MP miles on at the end of it. Not smart.

Sunday 21st July: 4 miles in 31:30 (7:53 pace)
    The original plan had been to get out in Slane and do a long run of 18-20 miles. Decided with a bit of a sore hamstring that this would be more stupidity, so left it altogether. Got home to watch the Monaghan match, and see us winning our first Ulster title in 25 years. Got the runners on and decided on an easy 4 miles to try and loosen up the hammer. I know most people would say don't run on an injury, but I've always found that I can run through little strains if I keep things easy and slow. Felt fine after it, but need to be careful.

The muscle doesn't feel as sore today but I'm going to forget about the 18-20 mile run. I'd considered doing it today sometime if the hamstring was feeling better, but rest would be better. The National Half is in just two weeks. Training's been good. I'll hopefully put in a decent long run this weekend, then the half marathon the following week. No point being too stubborn and over-training on a dodgy leg. Might give 10-12 miles a chance later if I'm feeling good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement