Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

Correct - well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

Autotimer worked, but does not give the option to limit to a particular day of the week.
    Could be just me missing something obvious.

sparkemo wrote: »
    Autotimer worked, but does not give the option to limit to a particular day of the week.
    Could be just me missing something obvious.

It also doesn't have the option to match just some words from a description (i.e. Gadget Show - World Tour saves search to search for Gadget Show - World Tour). Therefore, save your AutoTimer and then you can edit the file which stores the autotimer

File is autotimer.xml stored in /etc/enigma2

So for the above example, edit the autotimer.xml file, edit the MATCH item to Gadget Show and save back to the box. From there, edit the timer in the Plugin to change the match from Exact to Partial so that it finds Gadget Show from within Gadget Show - World Tour.

So basically, you can edit the file to do what you want if you know the parameters (like whatever the params for the day of week might be)

Understood the first part (thanks championc) but still lost on how to specify just one particular day.
    Getting the same show 3 or 4 times in one week because its repeated on the same channel within the same time frame.
    Don't know what to enter in the xml file to get that parameter.

Without specifying a day, it will look at every day during the time window defined.

So it will work perfectly for the likes of EastEnders which is a few days a week or the Gadget Show which is just once a week.

The only time that you would be tripped up is if a programme was repeated at the same time on the same station later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In Autotimer select the particular entry. Press YELLOW (edit filters) You can set a day, channel, keyword etc etc. From here use GREEN to add further combinations of filters.

RTFS for me so !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MYDADPULLEDOUT

championc wrote: »
    RTFS for me so !!
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I bought this as it has 3 Tuners, no one told me it was a big smelly poo out of the box!!
    This Thread is making updates look awful complicated! Crikey!
    And straight off the bat it doesn't recognise my USB stick.:( Oh no'sssssss!

Box for sale
    :o

Box for sale
    :o

Ah come on. First sign of trouble and you're admitting defeat. You will find plenty on here who hadn't the first clue of what they were doing and have managed things with minimal fuss.

Check out the other thread which has a step by step install in the first post. This has worked for EVERYONE so far :)

SUre where's the fun with a box which works straight out of the box. You could always just use the Spark - lol

In Autotimer select the particular entry. Press YELLOW (edit filters) You can set a day, channel, keyword etc etc. From here use GREEN to add further combinations of filters.

Cheers for that :), . That solves the multiple recordings.
    It would be great if it was an option to select on the first autotimer menu.
    Tried changing default timer setup, but no joy :(

• Advertisement

But sure, setup once and never have to touch it again.

Thinking about it, autotimer works great across seasons. You could set it up for last year for the Apprentice on BBC and then, when a programme returns a year later, it should just start getting added even if you don't know it's resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Do experienced users of the Alien 2/Triplex ever think it will reach stability on the Enigma 2 side of things like with dreamboxes or Vu+ receivers ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Do experienced users of the Alien 2/Triplex ever think it will reach stability on the Enigma 2 side of things like with dreamboxes or Vu+ receivers ?

My box hasn't locked up once since I re-made my image again from scratch. I hope the others using my image are having the same happy feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

championc wrote: »
    My box hasn't locked up once since I re-made my image again from scratch. I hope the others using my image are having the same happy feeling :)

Havent had a chance to reimage since you last updated it (last week) but the other image I have is still working fine for me bar the improvements you've made since! :)
    Hopefully get to try it this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Hi guys

thinking about ditching SKY and currently looking at combi box options and have a quick question (or two/three!) about this box;

• how does the dual sat tuner function in terms of having it look to the same satellite (i.e. 28.2 hooked up twice so as to record one FTA channel and watch another similar to freesat or sky box), do you end up with the FTA channels listed twice in the EPG to allow this to operate as such or is there a plug in to facilitate this ?
    • What are the recording options, can you record two FTA channels at the same time and watch saorview or vice versa (record a saorview & FTA channel and watch a FTA etc)?
    • Also I see from reading this that it is possible to get a 7 day FTA EPG via an enigma plugin but is it possible to also get a 7 day saorview EPG and have both sets of channels on the same 7 day EPG (and how does this work in terms of my first question?)?
    • Finally is it possible to have permanent timeshifting set i.e. to allow rewind of live tv whilst watching a channel without pausing first to kick in the timeshifting (similar to how sky or freesat boxes work)?

Also is Spark really that bad out of the box? Could I get the box usable quickly using Spark (so that family can watch all the channels & record etc) and then play with the Enigma set up at my leisure (sneaky last question!!)?

apologies if these are answered elsewhere but the updates in this thread are fairly fast moving and it's hard to take everything in over all the pages!

A bit nervous about taking on this box, not because I don't like tinkering but simply because my time is at a premium these days (long work hours and two wee ones at home to fill the free ones!!) but am happy to take the punt if the pay off is there (which it seems to be reading this thread).

thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Dave..M wrote: »
    Hi guys

thinking about ditching SKY and currently looking at combi box options and have a quick question (or two/three!) about this box;

• how does the dual sat tuner function in terms of having it look to the same satellite (i.e. 28.2 hooked up twice so as to record one FTA channel and watch another similar to freesat or sky box), do you end up with the FTA channels listed twice in the EPG to allow this to operate as such or is there a plug in to facilitate this ?
    • What are the recording options, can you record two FTA channels at the same time and watch saorview or vice versa (record a saorview & FTA channel and watch a FTA etc)?
    • Also I see from reading this that it is possible to get a 7 day FTA EPG via an enigma plugin but is it possible to also get a 7 day saorview EPG and have both sets of channels on the same 7 day EPG (and how does this work in terms of my first question?)?
    • Finally is it possible to have permanent timeshifting set i.e. to allow rewind of live tv whilst watching a channel without pausing first to kick in the timeshifting (similar to how sky or freesat boxes work)?

Also is Spark really that bad out of the box? Could I get the box usable quickly using Spark (so that family can watch all the channels & record etc) and then play with the Enigma set up at my leisure (sneaky last question!!)?

apologies if these are answered elsewhere but the updates in this thread are fairly fast moving and it's hard to take everything in over all the pages!

A bit nervous about taking on this box, not because I don't like tinkering but simply because my time is at a premium these days (long work hours and two wee ones at home to fill the free ones!!) but am happy to take the punt if the pay off is there (which it seems to be reading this thread).

thanks in advance for any help

I am a few months ahead of you in getting rid of sky and replacing with this box (I am only using the FTA sat and saorview channels) I also have 2 wee ones so I know what time management can be like.

The dual tuner works like the sky one - you only see the channels listed once, you set one of the tuners up to be "same as" another tuner in the setup. Just plug in the 2 cables from the dish to the box.
    You can record 2 satellite channels and watch a saorview (need a separate hard drive to record)
    Saorview has its own 7day EPG, The FTA Satellite ones are got on HDMU (not sure about others) without a plugin (it takes about 15 mins of watching a FTA Sat channel to come down) and there is also a plugin that can do it (crossepg)
    There is a permanent timeshift plugin.

As for Spark - the user FlexMcMurphy on here seems to have got the 7day epg etc working on it so as that was my main reason for not using it, maybe I should give it a go.

Don't worry about the questions - this thread is getting a bit big to be finding information efficiently ;-)

I have not seen a crash in over a month, using it for TV and used the RTE Player a few times.
    I had crashes in Channel1 and IceFilms but stopped using them.
    As for tv watching and recording and streaming to laptop/phone it seems solid to me, it is when I start fiddling with things that I see a crash.
    Using a HDMU from mid April, I did a backup so I can try other images and return quickly to this image.

@bappelbe

many thanks for the responses, was weighing this up against the walker 645 but this box just blows it away, I think the extra effort will be well worth it in the long run.

Btw when you say a separate hard drive do you mean I need two drives or just that this box needs an external drive plugged in (and will record to the same drive when recording simultaneously), I have a seagate 500 so am all set on the drive front as long as I just need the one!

Dave..M wrote: »
    @bappelbe
    Btw when you say a separate hard drive do you mean I need two drives or just that this box needs an external drive plugged in (and will record to the same drive when recording simultaneously), I have a seagate 500 so am all set on the drive front as long as I just need the one!

You just need 1 external drive - I think a flash drive can also be used.

great, thanks again

• Advertisement

bappelbe wrote: »
    Using a HDMU from mid April, I did a backup so I can try other images and return quickly to this image.
    Yes the recent HDMU images are very stable ,11021 is excellent .

Now to find a good skin ,the HDMU skin is the most stable but not very nice.
    I find PLi HD to be a very sluggish skin .
    I like the nogfx skin,its nice and clean yet runs well.

Anyone find that the HD picture quality isnt as good as on other receivers ,it seems dull and a bit washed out ,its definitely not as sharp as on my Dm800 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What the picture quality like on Rte player, ice films? Would it be comparable to upc's Rte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    What the picture quality like on Rte player, ice films? Would it be comparable to upc's Rte player?

Icefilms is excellent. If you have the bandwidth to stream in D quality it's pretty much HD. The DVD rips are DVD quality.

RTE player is not great. It's like a poor quality webstream for me.

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Icefilms is excellent. If you have the bandwidth to stream in D quality it's pretty much HD. The DVD rips are DVD quality.

RTE player is not great. It's like a poor quality webstream for me.

Is tv3 player also poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Is tv3 player also poor?

I haven't got it installed. Presume it is as it was ported by the same guy

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    I haven't got it installed. Presume it is as it was ported by the same guy

3 player seems much better quality on my laptop so maybe it ports over just as well. Could anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Yes the recent HDMU images are very stable ,11021 is excellent .

Now to find a good skin ,the HDMU skin is the most stable but not very nice.
    I find PLi HD to be a very sluggish skin .
    I like the nogfx skin,its nice and clean yet runs well.

Anyone find that the HD picture quality isnt as good as on other receivers ,it seems dull and a bit washed out ,its definitely not as sharp as on my Dm800 .

used HDMU images for a while but had problems with permanent time shift, now (for last month) im on PKTeam Hyperion image and have to say its the best image ive tried (so far): has own blue panel by default mapped under big blue home button, loads of nice tools like hdd mount manager, network hdds mapping etc...
    and HDglass16 skin working on pkt as should :)

Is it possible to download torrents directly to this box?

Has anyone tried Project Valerie on the Hdmu image ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

used HDMU images for a while but had problems with permanent time shift, now (for last month) im on PKTeam Hyperion image and have to say its the best image ive tried (so far): has own blue panel by default mapped under big blue home button, loads of nice tools like hdd mount manager, network hdds mapping etc...
    and HDglass16 skin working on pkt as should :)

Could you please give me a link to download this image very interested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement