Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.I.B are robbers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

You can't get your wages paid into a credit union though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

This might cheer you up:

20cent per ATM, Debit transaction...
    I never had to pay more than 8-10euro for quarterly fee's and my 1/4 fee's we're 25.60 this month... No written notification of the rise in fee's they just took em. And when I contacted them, all I got was the usual resession blurps about thats how it is these days....

If I continue using my card like I normally do, that be over 100euro a year just to withdraw a fee quid!

W@nkers!!!!!

I hate everything :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+ 1 for PTSB, with them for nearly 20 years having had woeful experiences with the other two. EBS are also great & have a debit card now which does carry some fees but only in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,565 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No sign of any AIB fees here yet...will keep an eye out though.

I'd be tempted to change over if they did charge. One main thing keeping me though is their online banking, it's really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    You can't get your wages paid into a credit union though.

Balbriggan Credit Union will be offering this service this year. They have a National Sort Code and will be bringing out Debit Cards. No charges.

http://www.balbriggan.info/free_banking_is_coming_to_balbriggan_credit_union_mar13.shtml

Nothing stopping any Credit Union from doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

sgarvan wrote: »
    Balbriggan Credit Union will be offering this service this year. They have a National Sort Code and will be bringing out Debit Cards. No charges.

http://www.balbriggan.info/free_banking_is_coming_to_balbriggan_credit_union_mar13.shtml

Bam! Thats pretty significant. Hope my local can do this. I've been with them years and they're great to deal with-this would make it so much more workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

sgarvan wrote: »

The cost. Most Credit Unions are small and cant take on the cost of offering debit cards. Not when everyone wants them for free anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

They managed to provide the same service for years without charging a fee so why have they only introduced the Debit card transaction fees now?

Must be something to do with those billions of euros of losses we have heard mumblings about in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I pay Ulsterbank €14 euro a month for a Ufirst Gold current account. It includes full (proper) phone insurance (usually €12 a month for the Galaxy Note 2), worldwide travel insurance, Life Insurance up to €100k and best of all, 25% cashback on all Ticketmaster transactions. Two tickets to Electricpicnic and it pays for itself for the year, anything else is a bonus. Obviously fees are included as well. There's a version for €10 with just the phone insurance and cashback from Ticketmaster. It's a bargain to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Sergeant wrote: »
    Must be something to do with those billions of euros of losses we have heard mumblings about in the media.

The ones that we as taxpayers have subsidised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My Credit union account has a IBAN number and online banking, as soon as they bring out a debit card, I'd never set foot in a bank again.

I jumped from AIB to BOI and then to PTSB when BOI brought in fees.

This is causing more people to use cash, you see in shops and the higher amount of coin needed esp the weekend after the trans fees bill comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

A bank charging a fee for providing a service? How dare they! :rolleyes:

How dare they make interest on my money then charge me for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Hod do you go about setting up your own bank :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

darlett wrote: »
    If the credit unions could ever bring out a debit card, that'd be quite a dagger for the banks
    Some credit unions were bringing out debit cards on an individual basis (i.e. each co-operative had a choice) around 2009.

I'm not sure if that progressed, or if the process was totally abandoned as the financial system deteriorated in 2009 -10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

simple really you pay for the convenience of not having to do anything just sign a DD form. or go to a hole in wall ect. services cost money especially when they make things very convenient for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

With BoI for 25 years and am disgusted with these charges.
    Anyone with PTSB? What are they like to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Ive always been with PTSB, nearly ten years, i think ive only ever been in a branch 5-6 times when lodging a cheque for example, never have to contact them with problems.

Went to NY one year and they rang me the minute i used my card there in case it was fraud, i let them know when i travel abroad and they flag it on my account, im sure other banks do this but anyone ive mentioned this to who are with other banks are surprised they monitor it so actively.

Not saying they are the greatest bank ever, just my experience with PTSB has been nothing but positive.

If people are unhappy they should just move banks, maybe other banks will listen then, ive never been charged a fee either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I got my quarterly fees letter there recently, and couldn't believe it that it seems that AIB charge you 20c for every time you use the internet banking??
    What a f**kin liberty :(. Was going to look into Permanent TSB but see someone else posting you need a certain amount going into your account every month before fees are waived...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Hod do you go about setting up your own bank :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley_Savings_and_Loans

ask this guy, his name is dave and he is frõm burnley.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No fees since I stopped using a bank 3 years ago.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

galwayrush wrote: »
    No fees since I stopped using a bank 3 years ago.:)

Seems you have the right idea! Do ya keep it under your mattress ?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I can't understand why banks charge fees.

I lived in tyrone (home) for years. All the banks never charged me a penny in fees. Free withdrawals, lodgements etc.

Came down to dublin and was WTF? I give you my money for you to keep safe and then you charge me to take it back again...fcuk off...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

letters must be out. fees on my BOI account were about €38 and our joint account €53.

I rang PTSB and have an appointment with them next week to arrange switching.

Money is the only thing that talks to the banks - if you don't move they'll keep charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It is my belief that all banks are robbers.

It's funny, generally the whole point of a bank is to safe guard your money. But yet banks themselves are the biggest robbers - want to deduct your own money from an atm? well that's gonna cost you.

We all know there is nothing for nothing in this world. But banks make money with your money. Especially pre-recession with so many loans given out. That's there business model. But that's not good enough. Still have to charge you for the privilege.

The idea's of banks just sound more mad and mad in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

With BoI for 25 years and am disgusted with these charges.
    Anyone with PTSB? What are they like to deal with?

Yes, I switched to PTSB, cant fault them, all positive. I just checked my charges from PTSTB which i SHOULD have payed for the 1st quarter this year .. 43.20 Euro

Multiply that x 4 over the year and it soon adds up .
    If i can keep that in my pocket rather than the banks ,well then its a minor victory for me.

Better in your pocket than theirs !

I would be the first to slate a poor service , but so far with TSB I have not had any bother and more importantly free banking and online banking is good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

It is my belief that all banks are robbers.

...the whole point of a bank is to safe guard your money....
    The point of a bank, on one level, is to take your money and give it to somebody else as an investment (to make a profit). On another level, the point of banks is to control the money system.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

k is to safe guard your money. But yet banks themselves are the biggest robbers - want to deduct your own money from an atm? well that's gonna cost you.

An ATM isn't free, the hardware (card reader, screen, keypad), etc, the software it runs on, the network connection to the bank, 24/7 electricity, maintenance, stocking, etc all costs the bank money , what do they get out of letting ya use it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

mfceiling wrote: »
    Came down to dublin and was WTF? I give you my money for you to keep safe and then you charge me to take it back again...fcuk off...
    This would be their response though: you are paying a fee for them to keep your money safe.

From the banks' point of view, they are providing you with a safe-house for your cash. Transactions cost them money, too.

Admittedly, they have a bit of a cheek in light of the funds that the people have already poured into the banking system, but the above is a general principle of bank charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

y0pperz wrote: »
    An ATM isn't free, the hardware (card reader, screen, keypad), etc, the software it runs on, the network connection to the bank, 24/7 electricity, maintenance, stocking, etc all costs the bank money , what do they get out of letting ya use it for free?

Did you even read my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

Did you even read my post?

No, no I didn't.

Advertisement