Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options
  • 19-04-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭

New game announced by Bethesda today, being made by Resident Evil's Shini Mikami's studio. Mikami said this will be a 'True survival horror game, one in which the player confronts and overcomes fear.

Trailer looks class, right up my street. It's only live action so who knows what it will be like but definitely has me interested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The evil dea.....

Resident evi......

Within

Kinda reminds me of the live action from the directors cut version of resident evil for ps1

Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kinda reminds me of the live action from the directors cut version of resident evil for ps1

Cant wait

Exactly what I was thinking and that turned out to be a master piece! I'd go see this if they made a film out of that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There's a whole bunch of screenshots on the Neogaf thread here.

All aboard the hype train, first class ticket please! :pac:

Looks like a mix of Resi 4 and Silent Hill. No zombies with machine gunes anyway.....yet.

image_300408_thumb_wide940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

PyramidHead is now SafeFace?

• Advertisement

I think Safe Face is gonna stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think Safe Face is gonna stick!

Well its either that or Vault-Cranium, Piggy Bank-Bonce or Safety Deposit Box-Noggin.

Some info released:

Mikami is aiming for "the perfect balance between horror and action"

Aims to have an "air of mystery" instead of thematic twists

Main character is called 'Sebastian', he is a detective

His partner is called Joseph, and the two are joined by a female detective referred to as 'Kid'

Viewpoint is from over Sebastian's shoulder

The development team is "paying a lot of attention to the theatrical and cinematic aspects" of the game

In terms of controls, they want the game to feel scary and cinematic, but the controls shouldn't impact flow or be cumbersome

The Evil Within is developed using a heavily modified version of id Tech 5 which the game's art director calls "Tango-stylized"

Player movement plays an important part in survival. Sneaking and crouching may be necessary when monsters are nearby.

The variety of motions and animations change depending on whether enemies are nearby nor not

The Evil Within's producer thinks it's much harder to scare people these days, so Sebastian has been created as an everyman. Players are meant to identify with him, which makes it more immersive.

A "Butcher" brandishing a chainsaw chases Sebastian. He can uses things in the environment, such as glass bottles, to distract enemies.

The first part of the demo takes place in an asylum, followed by a brief section in a hospital.

The second part skips to an outside area, as Sebastian moves towards an abandoned cottage.

The Evil Within has a minimalist HUD. Items that can be interacted with a denoted with on-screen prompts. On the screen is a small health bar and, when a weapon is drawn, an icon indicating ammo,

Players will have "appropriate types of weapons with a limited amount of ammunition to get them through"

The standard enemies in The Evil Within are zombie-like, shambling types.

Progression through the cottage is linear, but it is promised the game will open up. The Evil Within is a mixture of "narrow, confined spaces and larger, wide open spaces"

The areas are designed to make players feel claustrophobic, then provide relief through open areas. The cycle is repeated over the course of the game, with enemies appearing in unexpected ways and places.

In the demo, an enemy wave that moves very much like Resident Evil 4's Ganados are defeated with a mine trap. Sebastian lays the mine by a door, the rest are dispatched with a handguns. The enemies attempt to break in through the window.

At one point the environment shifts, changing its layout. Before Sebastian can get his bearings, a wave of blood crashes down the corridor, similar to the elevator scene in The Shining.

Sebastian wakes up at the asylum. The inspiration for the shifting environments was cited as The Winchester House

Another enemy shown in the demo is described as "a giant, multi-legged, multi-armed wraith". It emerges from a fountain of blood and moves quickly towards Sebastian.

Mikami ends the demo by saying "If players say 'I haven't played a game this scary in a while,' that would make me the happiest."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Interview with the man himself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

gizmo wrote: »
    Interview with the man himself ...

Go on Shinji, ye feckin legend ye!

Will be keeping an eye on this!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

PyramidHead is now SafeFace?

There's also Broken Glass Face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

:eek::eek::eek:

Man that looks amazing, I NEED a decent survival horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    There's a whole bunch of screenshots on the Neogaf thread here.

All aboard the hype train, first class ticket please! :pac:

Amen to that. the trailer looked okay, but zero value due to no gameplay or even CGI in it! :pac:

They marketing it as "from the creator of resident evil", but for me it just screams off " SILENT HILL BTICHES! ".

Looking forward, but not bringing my hopes up. Who is publisher? EA or Capcom?

Looking forward, but not bringing my hopes up. Who is publisher? EA or Capcom?

Bethesda is the publisher. Being made by Tango Gameworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bethesda is the publisher. Being made by Tango Gameworks.

There is a hope then so.

CVG give a preview of the first 15 minutes of the game they have seen. Sounds like my kind of survival horror!

"A mix of Resi 4 & Silent Hill"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

The Guardian wrote a review of the demo, It's looking very promising indeed!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/13/e3-2013-preview-the-evil-within

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

here is the gameplay vid at e3

EDIT: Ah Azza beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Evil Within new game play footage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The new concept art pics have me thinking last of us.

However it coming from the creator of Resident Evil has me excited. Another must have of 2014?

FWFtcRa.jpg

The-Evil-Within-13.jpg

The-Evil-Within-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Look like interesting settings, will keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, looks like a great mix of TLOU and Resident Evil, hoping the pull it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

God that does look like The Last of Us while the other shots and footage Ive seen reminds me of Silent Hill!? Interestingly Capcom have mentioned The Last of Us when talking about the future of the Resdient Evil franchise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I hope its not another cover based shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, looks like a great mix of TLOU and Resident Evil, hoping the pull it off!

Lol, that looks pretty intense.... tho im a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games ! :D

Yupp the stalking/hiding bits looks class! Bastard when he was crouching and panned the camera around to see Chainsaw guy right there! Didn't look as good when he's defending the house and laying mines around the place, Looked the same as Resi 4. The shooting mechanics look a bit awkward so hopefully it doesn't require much but I'm sure it will to spread the game out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I played some Resident Evil 6, so I'm a bit sceptical of this! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played some Resident Evil 6, so I'm a bit sceptical of this! :)

Don't be. Shinji Mikami was a lead creative behind 'the good years' of Resident Evil. The downfall of the series in 5 and 6 is in some ways attributable to Mikami leaving Capcom to do his own thing - in the glorious Vanquish and the only alright Shadow of the Damned (which wasn't really 'his' game anyway). This is his first full game as director in four years, so there's much cause to be excited - especially since he's returning to the horror genre, which he helped define back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The part where he's upstairs in the Cabin is nearly identical to Res4.
    Looks decent though.

Advertisement