Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie inaugural Beer Mile 14/6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »
    Josh Harris himself (praise be to allah) says that alcohol content is not important rather the volume is the important bit. If I had found that moosehead **** in costcutters I would have bought it. I am confident I can beat you whatever the beer; I have heard you are a beer swilling pussy.

First off, I don't make the rules ......... and neither does Josh Harris. Drquirky has set slightly different rules for our beer mile and that is fair enough as we generally don't have standard US/Australian bottle sizes and in most cases alcohol concentrations but I'm going for a world record* so want to play by the world wide governing rules. I may be a beer swilling pussy but I know you are a running pussy that I have nothing to worry about ;) oh buuuuurrrrrrnnnnnn ...................
    blockic wrote: »
    The potential for an epic TRR v meno show down on Friday so!! Can't wait! :D

Yeah yeah whatever. If he had any balls he'd turn up dressed as a pirate and try to take my world record* attempt away from me by finishing ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    First off, I don't make the rules ......... and neither does Josh Harris. Drquirky has set slightly different rules for our beer mile and that is fair enough as we generally don't have standard US/Australian bottle sizes and in most cases alcohol concentrations but I'm going for a world record* so want to play by the world wide governing rules. I may be a beer swilling pussy but I know you are a running pussy that I have nothing to worry about ;) oh buuuuurrrrrrnnnnnn ...................

Yeah yeah whatever. If he had any balls he'd turn up dressed as a pirate and try to take my world record* attempt away from me by finishing ahead of me.

Well since you are so up in the rules you must realise there'll be no world record for you without video evidence ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well since you are so up in the rules you must realise there'll be no world record for you without video evidence ;)

I see it like precision timing. I don't care what they say or put out on the web I'll know my real result!

Anyway running itself attracts enough weirdos, the Internet attracts more weirdos and a beer mile attracts head cases. Put the 3 together and you'll realise why I don't want somebody I don't know having evidence of me saying or doing something that could be taken out of context! I do enough of that here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Is there a beer available that hits the 355 mark and the 5% ? If not then I reckon the quirkster makes the 'local rules'.... But I'm still consuming 4 x 355 ;)

I'm also dressing up as a fookin know it all, wait, I can't steal Meno's thunder ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Is there a beer available that hits the 355 mark and the 5% ? If not then I reckon the quirkster makes the 'local rules'.... But I'm still consuming 4 x 355 ;)

I'm also dressing up as a fookin know it all, wait, I can't steal Meno's thunder ;):D

Jesus an inability to read and count must be contagious in your house. Moose head hits the 355ml and 5% mark but as drquirky has pointed out 330ml and 4.3% is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

If one were to attend this dressed as a Nun, would one be able to abide by said Ladies rules?
    Just askin' for a friend of mine, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I just realised that during tonights half beer mile I burned 66 calories but I drank 296 calories!!
    TRR this Beer mileing can't be doing much good for your manorexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Blue Moon also hits the mark. Available in Dunnes. Not a bad beer, but wouldn't fancy chuggin a load of bottles of it. Still, it's not a pussy beer. ;)

Jesus an inability to read and count must be contagious in your house. Moose head hits the 355ml and 5% mark but as drquirky has pointed out 330ml and 4.3% is acceptable.

Last I saw Moosehead comes in just below the 355 mark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Peckham

First beer went down in 18 seconds
    Beer 2 was grand 30 seconds
    beer 3, 37 seconds
    Stopped after half way through beer 4 on 20 seconds.
    Sub 8.45 and I'll be happy.

Go a little slower out of the blocks and you should be looking at a sub-8. This isn't a 5k race, you need to think differently. You should be easily able to do 30 seconds per beer and a sub-6 mile!

I'm calling sandbagging here.

• Advertisement

Last I saw Moosehead comes in just below the 355 mark ;)
    Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans should not be
    less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent).
    Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least
    12 oz (355 ml) in volume.

This is what finally made me switch to Moosehead though:

Peckham wrote: »
    Go a little slower out of the blocks and you should be looking at a sub-8. This isn't a 5k race, you need to think differently. You should be easily able to do 30 seconds per beer and a sub-6 mile!

I don't want to worry you but you've only downed 3 beers in training. That's like doing a 15 mile long run in marathon training and thinking you'll be grand on the day. I won't be taking advice from you ;)

This is what finally made me switch to Moosehead though:

Jaysus, gotta buy more beer today :eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Peckham wrote: »

I think there is no problem getting the first beer down really quick as your heart rate will be low and breathing normal, so expect most the field to be up and running very quick.
    Beer 3-4 are the one that you need to take are any mistake here and your race could be over. The world record holder says it himself nice and easy first 800m then build from there and if no danger of getting sick all out last 400m.

2 bottles of moose head last night in about 45 mins :) (its training really)

Right - left work at 11:30 to go to the off licence :eek:

Had a walk around Dunnes & had a chat with the manager in OddBins regarding specific beers.

Regarding Moose Head - I discovered that this is 350 ml - so anyone drinking Moose Head and beats me is a pussy :pac:

After much research, I'm down to 2 choices - Corona which is lighter in alc. content but is 355ml and 'Blue Moon' - which meets both criteria.

Will try both tonight after football - might go for a warm down run followed by necking the beers.

Regarding Moose Head - I discovered that this is 350 ml - so anyone drinking Moose Head and beats me is a pussy :pac:

It's 12 fluid ounces = 354.882 mls

After much research, I'm down to 2 choices - Corona which is lighter in alc. content but is 355ml and 'Blue Moon' - which meets both criteria.
    Blue Moon, Corona, Pabst, Moosehead etc are all 12 fl oz, which is the standard US beer measure. They all round up/down on the labels, but are based on the same volume. Beer mile rules are 12 fl oz, or 355 ml. In other words, I've been to the off-license to buy two sets of sh1tty beer, and I'm not buying any more. :)

Blue Moon, Corona, Pabst, Moosehead etc are all 12 fl oz, which is the standard US beer measure. They all round up/down on the labels, but are based on the same volume. Beer mile rules are 12 fl oz, or 355 ml. In other words, I've been to the off-license to buy two sets of sh1tty beer, and I'm not buying any more. :)

Sounds like you're suffering from CWS.......

Craft withdrawl syndrome ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

So where is Brian with the odds on this one, - Will the full start list be posted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Right - left work at 11:30 to go to the off licence :eek:

Had a walk around Dunnes & had a chat with the manager in OddBins regarding specific beers.

Will try both tonight after football - might go for a warm down run followed by necking the beers.

I would be surprised if you could neck 4 blue moons quick to be honest. It's my easy drinking beer of choice but to be honest it's quite heavy and a bit rich, even drinking four over an evening is hard never mind in quick succession!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

pconn062 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if you could neck 4 blue moons quick to be honest. It's my easy drinking beer of choice but to be honest it's quite heavy and a bit rich, even drinking four over an evening is hard never mind in quick succession!

+1, fierce heavy stuff I find, blows your head too!

Time to get shares in moosehead i reckon! :) Big spike in sales the last 7 days!

doh - moosehead it might need to be - never had 1 before and probably wont at this stage until the startline on Friday.

Could always use the Corona, but theres just something 'girly' abaout it.........(I'll retract that statement if I turn up with Corona)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Blue Moon is piss made by the same Nazi sympathising company that brought you Coors. I picked up a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon 12 oz, 355 ml bottles in Redmonds in Ranelagh for 15 Euros today. I might not be running but at least I'll be timing you guys drinking a proper man's beer not some Canadian piss named after the oddest looking animal on the planet. If anyone actually wants to win- I'm putting 4 bottles of PBR forward for the first person who PM's me to use. Did I mention the caps are twist....

Also got the prizes today....getting really psyched for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

drquirky wrote: »
    Blue Moon is piss made by the same Nazi sympathising company that brought you Coors. I picked up a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon 12 oz, 355 ml bottles in Redmonds in Ranelagh for 15 Euros today. I might not be running but at least I'll be timing you guys drinking a proper man's beer not some Canadian piss named after the oddest looking animal on the planet. If anyone actually wants to win- I'm putting 4 bottles of PBR forward for the first person who PM's me to use. Did I mention the caps are twist....

e31.jpg

What's the alcohol % in Pabst dude?

What's the alcohol % in Pabst dude?

hehehe 4.7% :eek:

well if 4.7% works - then I might just go with my 4.6% girly Corona.

pconn062 wrote: »
    e31.jpg

Sorry- a bit of context- Blue Moon is owned and marketed by Coors- they have been the subject of some scorn for years as they have been passing off Blue Moon as a "craft" beer for years when it is most certainly not. The Coors family also have a fairly shady history in the USA when it comes to backing Neo-Nazi/ extremist groups.... hence the vitriol from me....sorry if it came off too extreme....

http://dailycollegian.com/2005/09/19/discrimination-at-coors-core/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I remember being in Quincy, Boston on my J1 in 1999 and one of the locals astonished to find out that I'd never heard of Killians Irish Red, let alone drank it.
    He was certain everyone back in the auld sod drank it! Coors PR obviously worked on him so!:D

• Advertisement

Sorry- a bit of context- Blue Moon is owned and marketed by Coors- they have been the subject of some scorn for years as they have been passing off Blue Moon as a "craft" beer for years when it is most certainly not. The Coors family also have a fairly shady history in the USA when it comes to backing Neo-Nazi/ extremist groups.... hence the vitriol from me....sorry if it came off too extreme....

http://dailycollegian.com/2005/09/19/discrimination-at-coors-core/

....and I could care less if people use it tomorrow- I'm just having fun slagging it!:D

Advertisement