Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

• 10-06-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

Been waiting for this for a long time...was quite disappointed that they focused on combat but i'll keep the faith. The whole conference was made worthwhile for me because of this announcement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mr E wrote: »
    Still alive.
    I went straight to Youtube looking for the original theme after ME2 was announced :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this was a triumph?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Loved the first. Great concept and deserved a sequel to develop further. Can't wait and hope they take as much time as needed to get the best possible free running experience. Love the utopia setting and the mellow electronic music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

was quite disappointed that they focused on combat but i'll keep the faith.

I haven't seen an announcement video yet (or indeed whatever it was), but that sentence concerns the heck out of me. Combat very often broke Mirror's Edge - all you wanted to do was take advantage of that glorious running system but all too often you were stopped in your tracks by guys with guns. And it wasn't a fun challenge. The hand to hand system was pretty solid, but often the game felt like it was punishing you for not picking up a gun. That more than anything (and, erm, indoor levels that aren't a load of bollocks) is what the sequel needs to fix to really achieve its very real, tantalising promise - it needs to empower those of us who just want to revel in the mechanics that made ME so absolutely unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Edit: bah wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Loved the first one.

Watching the time trial vids on youtube made me realise how bad at games I am compared to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shannakai

Anyone else want to see more of the streets than the rooftops of buildings?

I loved the game and it was amazing looking but I felt like there was a lack of people/places? it was rooftop after rooftop and then an office! before bursting out onto a rooftop....maybe shops? department stores? people getting in the way?(obviously not TOO much) Something where there's REAL problems and locations that you could see actually becoming a reality!

there's so much to work with when you look at the characters and you were told bits I suppose but nothing major. There was always something hinted at but never really paid off for me (I don't mean the main story).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

welkin wrote: »
    Loved the first one.

Watching the time trial vids on youtube made me realise how bad at games I am compared to some people.

yeah, my best time trial ever was 12.5 seconds on this level
    still need to beat level 7 and 9 speedruns :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

PS4 may have just won E3, but this.....

THIS is the game I was waiting for. I've never played an game so much. The speed runs, while frustrating, kept me coming back, because I KNEW I could get that extra second.

If it can get the combat right, forget about guns and polish the running....so bloody excited!

Do we think that's why they focused on the combat? To say 'look, we know it was the weak point, we're working on it'. Or is it more about the action aspect?

'When it's ready'. Kind of refreshing to hear that....Take your time boys, especially if it means we get the game Mirror's Edge wanted so hard to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

shannakai wrote: »
    Anyone else want to see more of the streets than the rooftops of buildings?

I loved the game and it was amazing looking but I felt like there was a lack of people/places? it was rooftop after rooftop and then an office! before bursting out onto a rooftop....maybe shops? department stores? people getting in the way?(obviously not TOO much) Something where there's REAL problems and locations that you could see actually becoming a reality!

there's so much to work with when you look at the characters and you were told bits I suppose but nothing major. There was always something hinted at but never really paid off for me (I don't mean the main story).

There was some ground level stuff in ME1, the train area and tunnels, the mall and the ship but you're right, I'd like to see more variation this time around. No excuse not to really, you can run and bounce off nearly anything.

I hope they don't mess with the look of the game though. No need to make it and dark and dingy. Keep the bright colours.

As excellent as the first one was, I'm surprised they're making a second. I seem to remember it being a critical success, but an absolute commercial failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think it became a hit over time as it's popularity grew like a cult film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

They could pump out lots of DLC levels and time trials over time to keep a steady steam of money flowing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It sold well over time but that went hand in hand with dramatic price cuts which is why, despite the final numbers looking reasonable, it wasn't earmarked for a sequel. The idea of it being "rebooted" reinforces this but I just hope to hell they don't change what made the original special and add in more tight corridors and encourage gun play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Delighted with this, ME almost amounted to a tech demo back in 2008 but it certainly got my attention. I traded away my copy because I had absolutely played to death but I must try and get another now, there were going for a fiver at one stage.

gizmo wrote: »
    It sold well over time but that went hand in hand with dramatic price cuts which is why, despite the final numbers looking reasonable, it wasn't earmarked for a sequel. The idea of it being "rebooted" reinforces this but I just hope to hell they don't change what made the original special and add in more tight corridors and encourage gun play.

i hope it's littered with chest high walls, quick time events and at least two levels where faith has to deal with the realisation that she only became a runner because she couldn't attract a man

i hope it's littered with chest high walls, quick time events and at least two levels where faith has to deal with the realisation that she only became a runner because she couldn't attract a man

Possibly some knee high fences that you can't jump over???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just went out and bought Mirrors Edge for a tenner. Now to see what all the fuss is about.

Possibly some knee high fences that you can't jump over???

can't believe I didn't think of that. game of the year material if they include all this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Trying to find where I read the news, but apparently this is a pre-quel to the 2008 game. That is why you see her getting her tattoos in the trailer.

Really enjoyed the original - a breath of fresh air from all the FPS games coming out - and I hope this is just as focused on parkour and free-running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Makes sense if they want to reboot. Suppose it also makes sense since it never says Mirror's Edge 2 in the trailer.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I just went out and bought Mirrors Edge for a tenner. Now to see what all the fuss is about.

All the fun is in seeing how quickly and smoothly you can traverse the environments. It can be immensely satisfying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You'd hate it anyway purely on the basis that the lead character is a female. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The first was fresh, innovative, interesting, but ultimately very flawed. My worry would be even if they fix most of the flaws, it's lost most of the originality. I'm hopeful though.

So long as they get rid of the "There's no loading screens during levels... but there are really long elevators which are totally not covers for loading screens". That actually really annoyed me. I would literally have preferred a loading screen.

i heard people saying the same about mass effect... what is it about them that pissed people off? it's exactly the same as a loading screen only it doesn't break the immersion as much.. honestly can't see a single problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, and if I remember right the elevators in Mirrors Edge had info screens inside them that gave a little backstory on the City and the people in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i heard people saying the same about mass effect... what is it about them that pissed people off? it's exactly the same as a loading screen only it doesn't break the immersion as much.. honestly can't see a single problem with them.

It genuinely broke my immersion more than a loading screen. It's a free-running game and the claim was made that there'd be no loading screens. Then each level manages to put you in an elevator where you can still move (even though it's completely pointless to do so) which makes the loading take even longer than a loading screen would have.

Why have a game where your character is an incredible free-runner, and force her into an elevator in every level and have her just need to stand there and do nothing which, seeing as how you're able to move feels a lot longer than a loading screen would.

In your first playthrough when you don't realise the elevators are replacements for loading screens in the first few levels, you're sitting waiting to play, being ready to exit the elevator at any second. And it's incredibly frustrating having to wait and not know how much longer you've to wait for. With a loading screen, they could show the first few seconds of the elevator, then have loading screen, then the last few seconds of the elevator, and you'd know you're about to play again.

It's obviously not a game-breaker, but I found it genuinely annoying and cheap.

Advertisement