Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

• 10-06-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

Been waiting for this for a long time...was quite disappointed that they focused on combat but i'll keep the faith. The whole conference was made worthwhile for me because of this announcement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mr E wrote: »
    Still alive.
    I went straight to Youtube looking for the original theme after ME2 was announced :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this was a triumph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Loved the first. Great concept and deserved a sequel to develop further. Can't wait and hope they take as much time as needed to get the best possible free running experience. Love the utopia setting and the mellow electronic music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

was quite disappointed that they focused on combat but i'll keep the faith.

I haven't seen an announcement video yet (or indeed whatever it was), but that sentence concerns the heck out of me. Combat very often broke Mirror's Edge - all you wanted to do was take advantage of that glorious running system but all too often you were stopped in your tracks by guys with guns. And it wasn't a fun challenge. The hand to hand system was pretty solid, but often the game felt like it was punishing you for not picking up a gun. That more than anything (and, erm, indoor levels that aren't a load of bollocks) is what the sequel needs to fix to really achieve its very real, tantalising promise - it needs to empower those of us who just want to revel in the mechanics that made ME so absolutely unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Edit: bah wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Loved the first one.

Watching the time trial vids on youtube made me realise how bad at games I am compared to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shannakai

Anyone else want to see more of the streets than the rooftops of buildings?

I loved the game and it was amazing looking but I felt like there was a lack of people/places? it was rooftop after rooftop and then an office! before bursting out onto a rooftop....maybe shops? department stores? people getting in the way?(obviously not TOO much) Something where there's REAL problems and locations that you could see actually becoming a reality!

there's so much to work with when you look at the characters and you were told bits I suppose but nothing major. There was always something hinted at but never really paid off for me (I don't mean the main story).

• Advertisement

welkin wrote: »
    Loved the first one.

Watching the time trial vids on youtube made me realise how bad at games I am compared to some people.

yeah, my best time trial ever was 12.5 seconds on this level
    still need to beat level 7 and 9 speedruns :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

PS4 may have just won E3, but this.....

THIS is the game I was waiting for. I've never played an game so much. The speed runs, while frustrating, kept me coming back, because I KNEW I could get that extra second.

If it can get the combat right, forget about guns and polish the running....so bloody excited!

Do we think that's why they focused on the combat? To say 'look, we know it was the weak point, we're working on it'. Or is it more about the action aspect?

'When it's ready'. Kind of refreshing to hear that....Take your time boys, especially if it means we get the game Mirror's Edge wanted so hard to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

shannakai wrote: »
    Anyone else want to see more of the streets than the rooftops of buildings?

I loved the game and it was amazing looking but I felt like there was a lack of people/places? it was rooftop after rooftop and then an office! before bursting out onto a rooftop....maybe shops? department stores? people getting in the way?(obviously not TOO much) Something where there's REAL problems and locations that you could see actually becoming a reality!

there's so much to work with when you look at the characters and you were told bits I suppose but nothing major. There was always something hinted at but never really paid off for me (I don't mean the main story).

There was some ground level stuff in ME1, the train area and tunnels, the mall and the ship but you're right, I'd like to see more variation this time around. No excuse not to really, you can run and bounce off nearly anything.

I hope they don't mess with the look of the game though. No need to make it and dark and dingy. Keep the bright colours.

As excellent as the first one was, I'm surprised they're making a second. I seem to remember it being a critical success, but an absolute commercial failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think it became a hit over time as it's popularity grew like a cult film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

They could pump out lots of DLC levels and time trials over time to keep a steady steam of money flowing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It sold well over time but that went hand in hand with dramatic price cuts which is why, despite the final numbers looking reasonable, it wasn't earmarked for a sequel. The idea of it being "rebooted" reinforces this but I just hope to hell they don't change what made the original special and add in more tight corridors and encourage gun play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Delighted with this, ME almost amounted to a tech demo back in 2008 but it certainly got my attention. I traded away my copy because I had absolutely played to death but I must try and get another now, there were going for a fiver at one stage.

gizmo wrote: »
    It sold well over time but that went hand in hand with dramatic price cuts which is why, despite the final numbers looking reasonable, it wasn't earmarked for a sequel. The idea of it being "rebooted" reinforces this but I just hope to hell they don't change what made the original special and add in more tight corridors and encourage gun play.

i hope it's littered with chest high walls, quick time events and at least two levels where faith has to deal with the realisation that she only became a runner because she couldn't attract a man

i hope it's littered with chest high walls, quick time events and at least two levels where faith has to deal with the realisation that she only became a runner because she couldn't attract a man

Possibly some knee high fences that you can't jump over???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just went out and bought Mirrors Edge for a tenner. Now to see what all the fuss is about.

Possibly some knee high fences that you can't jump over???

can't believe I didn't think of that. game of the year material if they include all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Trying to find where I read the news, but apparently this is a pre-quel to the 2008 game. That is why you see her getting her tattoos in the trailer.

Really enjoyed the original - a breath of fresh air from all the FPS games coming out - and I hope this is just as focused on parkour and free-running.

Makes sense if they want to reboot. Suppose it also makes sense since it never says Mirror's Edge 2 in the trailer.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I just went out and bought Mirrors Edge for a tenner. Now to see what all the fuss is about.

All the fun is in seeing how quickly and smoothly you can traverse the environments. It can be immensely satisfying at times.

You'd hate it anyway purely on the basis that the lead character is a female. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,207 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The first was fresh, innovative, interesting, but ultimately very flawed. My worry would be even if they fix most of the flaws, it's lost most of the originality. I'm hopeful though.

So long as they get rid of the "There's no loading screens during levels... but there are really long elevators which are totally not covers for loading screens". That actually really annoyed me. I would literally have preferred a loading screen.

i heard people saying the same about mass effect... what is it about them that pissed people off? it's exactly the same as a loading screen only it doesn't break the immersion as much.. honestly can't see a single problem with them.

Yeah, and if I remember right the elevators in Mirrors Edge had info screens inside them that gave a little backstory on the City and the people in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,207 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i heard people saying the same about mass effect... what is it about them that pissed people off? it's exactly the same as a loading screen only it doesn't break the immersion as much.. honestly can't see a single problem with them.

It genuinely broke my immersion more than a loading screen. It's a free-running game and the claim was made that there'd be no loading screens. Then each level manages to put you in an elevator where you can still move (even though it's completely pointless to do so) which makes the loading take even longer than a loading screen would have.

Why have a game where your character is an incredible free-runner, and force her into an elevator in every level and have her just need to stand there and do nothing which, seeing as how you're able to move feels a lot longer than a loading screen would.

In your first playthrough when you don't realise the elevators are replacements for loading screens in the first few levels, you're sitting waiting to play, being ready to exit the elevator at any second. And it's incredibly frustrating having to wait and not know how much longer you've to wait for. With a loading screen, they could show the first few seconds of the elevator, then have loading screen, then the last few seconds of the elevator, and you'd know you're about to play again.

It's obviously not a game-breaker, but I found it genuinely annoying and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow Mirrors Edge is class!

One of us......one of us.......

Breaking it out again tonight for the craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ryuji_w wrote: »

Not sure if that will be good or bad. I'm just stoked that it's being made. Didn't think EA would give DICE the backing to make a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Similar link to above but .. more action adventure than original :/

• Advertisement

Not sure if that will be good or bad. I'm just stoked that it's being made. Didn't think EA would give DICE the backing to make a second.

Seconded on both counts!

Open world sounds risky, but if get can pull off the feel of the first one in a big sandbox....random speed runs around the city? Contained, replayable levels in the main story?

Also....it's hard to believe they'll make an open world game without guns....

"I think we missed completely on the game being too difficult, people keep falling down and the notion of constantly running away wasn't maybe greatly perceived. On top of that there were a bunch of other problems with it, but again we look at what's great with it, we do more of that and we fix the things that were broken."

Prepare for Combat:(

I played through the Original twice and I think I shot 4 or 5 guys between both and maybe disarmed a similar amount, I don't want that to change for the sequal

I'd actually like to see how a kind of Batman:AA/C combat would work, where you are diving around a group of badguys disarming and stunning them just long enough to get away.

I'd actually like to see how a kind of Batman:AA/C combat would work, where you are diving around a group of badguys disarming and stunning them just long enough to get away.

Cant see it working in first person though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Prepare for Combat:(

I played through the Original twice and I think I shot 4 or 5 guys between both and maybe disarmed a similar amount, I don't want that to change for the sequal

yeah constantly running from enemies was brilliant, such an underrated game

• Advertisement

I liked running away. Running away sliding under and jumping over obstacles with bullets whizzing past you is much better than ducking in cover before peeking out and firing off a few rounds.

is the dlc on the first one worth buying? always held off on buying it. I have an xbox. On ps3 it was given away free - feckers!

Welp, theres my excitement gone.
    i8rQ1cn.jpg

Thanks EA.

Thanks EA.
    If only they had listened to the millions of people who went out and bought it on release instead. Oh, wait...

As for Sarkeesian, well she spoke at DICE last year and her influence was supposedly going to be seen in MoH: Warfighter also. Judging by how that turned out I imagine EA are taking her as seriously as most other people. Which is to say they aren't at all.

As for the second image/comment my only hope is that they identify what actually caused most gamer's frustrations, the frequent instances of awkward level design, rather than dramatically altering the non-confrontational free-running nature of the game.

How simple must she be if she thought jumping and running were difficult? If you were going for time-trials, then I'm sure there's some tricky techniques you could use to get the best time but I can't remember the story mode ever putting you in a position where you couldn't continue due to a jump or wall run etc being to hard.

"I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult control scheme."

Why would girls have found the control scheme harder? And what exactly was so difficult about it?!

J. Marston wrote: »
    How simple must she be if she thought jumping and running were difficult? If you were going for time-trials, then I'm sure there's some tricky techniques you could use to get the best time but I can't remember the story mode ever putting you in a position where you couldn't continue due to a jump or wall run etc being to hard.

"I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult control scheme."

Why would girls have found the control scheme harder? And what exactly was so difficult about it?!

Trying to do TWO things at once? Madness. Women are clearly notorious at multitasking too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

One, the combat should be removed altogether, except maybe for smacking the odd enemy in the face. Surely the point of a free-running heroine is that she evades combat, not engages in it.

Two, open world? I'd prefer tight linear levels and a good story (honestly, open worlds and stories seldom complement each other) to yet another baggy, banal sandbox.

Sarkeesian realised Mirrors Edge existence completely destroys her argument about strong female protaganists so she had to find something else wrong with it and effectively called herself and every other female gamer out there stupid in doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Trying to do TWO things at once? Madness. Women are clearly notorious at multitasking too :P
    I'm a PC gamer. I have had a number of consoles in the past and the only I still have/use is an xbox. I rarely use xbox as I find the controls awkward, I always get jumping and action buttons mixed up. I'm a PC gamer at heart.

Anywho, I loved Mirror's Edge. So much so that I have it for xbox and Steam (damn sales!). I played both simultaneously, in fact, it was easier on console. She certainly doesn't speak for me and I am a terrible gamer.

I got into the game because of the graphics (and colour scheme), atmosphere and the fresh take it took. To be honest, there's not much to the game, mainly a lot of leaping and rolling, not to mention the odd grabbing.

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm a PC gamer. I have had a number of consoles in the past and the only I still have/use is an xbox. I rarely use xbox as I find the controls awkward, I always get jumping and action buttons mixed up. I'm a PC gamer at heart.

Anywho, I loved Mirror's Edge. So much so that I have it for xbox and Steam (damn sales!). I played both simultaneously, in fact, it was easier on console. She certainly doesn't speak for me and I am a terrible gamer.

I got into the game because of the graphics (and colour scheme), atmosphere and the fresh take it took. To be honest, there's not much to the game, mainly a lot of leaping and rolling, not to mention the odd grabbing.

Merp. Im being sarcastic. The game is straightforward. I always thought the control system was very simplistic, thats part of the reason i loved it. Sarkeesian, to me, symbolises everything that is wrong in gaming and journalism and feminism all rolled into one quite irritating bundle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement