Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protesters smash Windscreen of Minister Hogan Car, protesters to complain!

• 07-06-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

You couldn't make it up so I won't
    A man has been arrested in Athlone, Co Westmeath after the windscreen of the Environment Minister's car was smashed during a protest this afternoon.

It is understood a number of people protesting at Phil Hogan's visit to Athlone library surrounded the car the Minister was travelling in- as it was leaving a car park.

A spokesperson for the Ministers office has told Shannonside news that a crowd of people surrounded the car and were rocking it, before one man smashed the windscreen with his fist.

John McNamara from the 'The Peoples Voice' political group who were protesting at today's event said that they will be bringing today's incident to the attention of the Garda Ombudsman's.

"We were slowing the car down to make our point, the car drove dangerously at out protesters," he said.

"We will be bringing this to the garda ombudsman because it is an outrageous situation."

Ya lucky Big Phil didn't get out and tax you around the ear with a folder! Seriously though the cheek of these upstart agitators is quite something to behold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A bit cheeky of them to complain but I couldn't condemn their actions. This government haven't listened to anything the people have had to say and sooner or later more direct action will be required. If this is the start of it then I welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

So, someone's car gets vandalised while moving and then a complaint is made to the Garda Ombudsman that the driver drove defensively. I take it that vandalism is now supposed to be consequence free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It amazes me what goes through these peoples head. Like do they think by smacking his car than he can turn the economy around and reverse cut backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Ah well, no doubt the tax-payer will have to pay for the bill for the windscreen repair, the court appearance of the accused and the Garda Ombudsman investigation.

With "victories" like this, who needs "defeats"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Swanner wrote: »
    A bit cheeky of them to complain but I couldn't condemn their actions. This government haven't listened to anything the people have had to say and sooner or later more direct action will be required. If this is the start of it then I welcome it.

So you think smashing someone's windscreen is acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

BluntGuy wrote: »

in some instances is seems it is

http://cork.studenty.me/2012/02/23/gas-turns-to-glass-during-rossport-incident/

Under normal circumstances of course not. But these are not normal times. We have had successive governments working in direct opposition to both the will and the good of the people while continuing to make significant personal gains in the form of inflated salaries and pensions. If it takes a few broken windows to help them see this then I have no issue. Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.
    If you can't win your argument at the ballot box, time to reach for the Armalite, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 ecowise2

Was the car not parked on his foot, and Hogan refused to move it until a woman opened the car door and told Hogan and the driver to cop on and move the car back ?

Fiasco Phil is a cowardly bully boy. Bullies all get what they deserve sooner or later.

Whatever your opinion of Minister Hogan he was elected democratically at the last election.

Violence, threat and intimidation is wrong

Let's face it, it's not as if Fiasco Phil is above using threat and intimidation.

Fiasco Phil doesn't have to resort to violence, just threats.

Where was the democratic vote on the household charge to pay off private billionaires debts at the expense of ordinary people ?

• Advertisement

Eh lets not get carried away with ourselves here. It was a broken windscreen. Armalites and hand grenades ?? Dramatic much ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

If he was democratically elected, why does he not listen to the people who elected him?

DanWall wrote: »
    If he was democratically elected, why does he not listen to the people who elected him?

IMO FG lost their mandate when they renaged on the manifesto on which they were elected. If they were little lies you could overlook it. But they were big juicy ones on issues that directly affect our pockets like burning bond holders and implementing the tax on family homes.

ecowise2 wrote: »
    Where was the democratic vote on the household charge to pay off private billionaires debts at the expense of ordinary people ?

It was in the Dail.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=19980&CatID=87

IMO FG lost their mandate when they renaged on the manifesto on which they were elected.

They weren't elected on their manifesto. The people in their wisdom decided not to give them an overall majority, but chose coalition government, with all the horse trading and compromise that entails.

How this links back to a justification for a violent attack on someone is lost on me.

Phoebas wrote: »
    They weren't elected on their manifesto. The people in their wisdom decided not to give them an overall majority, but chose coalition government, with all the horse trading and compromise that entails.

How this links back to a justification for a violent attack on someone is lost on me.

Yes they were. They made promises in order to gain votes. They got those votes and are now in government. Then they broke those promises.

And as for the wisdom of the people in voting for a coalition ?? You're having a laugh surely. Name one instance where labour have manged to force FG's hand on a policy making decisions in relation to bond holders and the Family Home Tax ?

Name one instance where labour have manged to force FG's hand on a policy making decisions in relation to bond holders and the Family Home Tax ?
    The labour manifesto called for a property tax. The FG one didn't.

Labour +1

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/[/QUOTE]

Maryanne, please answer me one question: Is there ANYTHING You cant find fault with in this bunch of thuggish liars for a government?

This thread is about BFP in his car yesterday, what the hell has it got to do with your pr exercise of promoting that accursed lpt???

The labour manifesto called for a property tax. The FG one didn't.

Labour +1

Hardly a victory for labour. It went through because FG didn't have the balls to stand up to Europe and say no. FG call the shots and you know it.

• Advertisement

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/

Even if those figures are true and I would have my doubts, how many of them are actually registered and how many are spoiled ? I know I've registered but have no intention of paying up. I accept that they will eventually dip into my salary and take it at source but I'm not meekly handing it over like some stooge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You will have a chance to kick him out at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even if those figures are true and I would have my doubts, how many of them are actually registered and how many are spoiled ? I know I've registered but have no intention of paying up. I accept that they will eventually dip into my salary and take it at source but I'm not meekly handing it over like some stooge.

So you will pay more to make a point about a tax you don't want to pay. Well done you.

mike65 wrote: »
    So you will pay more to make a point about a tax you don't want to pay. Well done you.

I'll sleep soundly at night safe in the knowledge that I stood by my principals. Yes, we'll done me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grand so, sleep the sleep of the just. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Under normal circumstances of course not. But these are not normal times.

"Under normal circumstances"... what guff.

Your answer is: "yes, I think it's okay to smash someone's windscreen".

I disagree and I don't care for your little caveat of "circumstances" which are arbitrarily defined.
    We have had successive governments working in direct opposition to both the will and the good of the people while continuing to make significant personal gains in the form of inflated salaries and pensions. If it takes a few broken windows to help them see this then I have no issue.

So your two step plan to political reform:

-> Break some windows.

-> Government reduces "inflated salaries and pensions".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)
    Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.

You suggest this as though it's a novel idea.

It's amazing how many people throughout history have decided violence is a better means to get what they want.

Hardly a victory for labour. It went through because FG didn't have the balls to stand up to Europe and say no. FG call the shots and you know it.
    So let me get this straight. You say that FG call the shots, except that they don't - Europe calls the shots? Even when they are implementing something from the Labour manifesto.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/[/QUOTE]

Maryanne, please answer me one question: Is there ANYTHING You cant find fault with in this bunch of thuggish liars for a government?

This thread is about BFP in his car yesterday, what the hell has it got to do with your pr exercise of promoting that accursed lpt???

Whether you like it or not, the current Government was democratically elected. The THUGS who vandalised his car are just thugs, who speak for no one other than themselves - if they are able to speak at all. Vandalism and criminal damage is NEVER acceptable. I have pointed out that there are too many TD's Senators and Councillors and that they are paid too much, so, yes, I have found fault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

It's amazing how many people throughout history have decided violence is a better means to get what they want.

how many people have made change by conforming/doing what they are told ?

1940's jews come to mind !! (off topic but illustrates the point the people in charge usually make decisions that benefit them and their ilk and those that obey and do not question the motives behind these decisions suffer)

I'm sure the various taxes that have been introduced may be needed - but I'm also sure that if the government gave full accountability for where the funds go and how they are used (and not wasted) then the majority of the country would pay.

a number of years ago we were told the plastic bag tax was to be used for the upkeep/maintanence of the roads ....after a few years and some investigations we get told the money goes into a pot/general fund for use if/when needed.

I would have no problem paying a tax once its justified and the monies collected are not wasted - I would see most of a ministers expenses as being a waste - they are paid well enough so they should be able to afford and pay for some of them (ie. dry cleaning allowance, mobile phone allowance every 12/18months to buy a new phone etc)

I would question the allowance for mileage/travel expenses - there are not a lot of jobs which pay you to drive to work and home - why are ministers allowed claim travel expenses for this ? especially as the majority do not use eco-friendly cars - they are usually 2L or higher engines....also is there a need for so many advisors to travel with a minister ?

• Advertisement

Corkbah wrote: »
    how many people have made change by conforming/doing what they are told ?

1940's jews come to mind !! (off topic but illustrates the point the people in charge usually make decisions that benefit them and their ilk and those that obey and do not question the motives behind these decisions suffer)

I'm sure the various taxes that have been introduced may be needed - but I'm also sure that if the government gave full accountability for where the funds go and how they are used (and not wasted) then the majority of the country would pay.

a number of years ago we were told the plastic bag tax was to be used for the upkeep/maintanence of the roads ....after a few years and some investigations we get told the money goes into a pot/general fund for use if/when needed.

I would have no problem paying a tax once its justified and the monies collected are not wasted - I would see most of a ministers expenses as being a waste - they are paid well enough so they should be able to afford and pay for some of them (ie. dry cleaning allowance, mobile phone allowance every 12/18months to buy a new phone etc)

I would question the allowance for mileage/travel expenses - there are not a lot of jobs which pay you to drive to work and home - why are ministers allowed claim travel expenses for this ? especially as the majority do not use eco-friendly cars - they are usually 2L or higher engines....also is there a need for so many advisors to travel with a minister ?

There is a vast difference between questioning / opposing something / non conformance and resorting to violence.

mike65 wrote: »
    Grand so, sleep the sleep of the just. ;)

Now ye have it...

Whether you like it or not, the current Government was democratically elected. The THUGS who vandalised his car are just thugs, who speak for no one other than themselves - if they are able to speak at all. Vandalism and criminal damage is NEVER acceptable. I have pointed out that there are too many TD's Senators and Councillors and that they are paid too much, so, yes, I have found fault!

I agree with you - there are correct ways of demonstrating and this was not one of them, however, I've seen various ministers over the years make promises and then when they cannot or do not come through for those people they simply ignore them and hope they go away - sometimes they will make an appointment to "listen" to the people ...but after the meeting they carry on as if nothing had happened, ignoring the various different families pleas for help.

we have far too many politicians in this country and far too much pub politics, should the seanad be abolished .... I think no, it should be reformed.... made up of non-political appointees people from different sectors of society....ask yourself - why do our politicians want rid of the seanad ? what is the role of the seanad? I've always understood that the seanad were to oversee the politicians ....if you take away the people watching them ...god knows what our politicians will get upto !!

There is a vast difference between questioning / opposing something / non conformance and resorting to violence.

I agree - but its difficult to get someone's attention when they consistently ignore you and use the resources at their disposal to protect themselves from engaging with "the people"

there are not a lot of politicians around who can claim to be "one of the people"

When questioning an opposing has been tried and failed over and over ad nauseum. What do you suggest then ?

And while I'm not condoning violence, it's impossible to deny that it has often been the only route to affect change when you have the rich and powerful wielding their influence over the poor to their detriment.

Anyway it's far too nice a day for this. I'm off to spend my family home tax on a pint and a couple of horses.

I agree - but its difficult to get someone's attention when they consistently ignore you and use the resources at their disposal to protect themselves from engaging with "the people"
    I can't even begin to understand how attacking Minister Hogan in his car is going to increase his engagement with the people. It'll more likely have the opposite effect.

Regardless, it isn't an acceptable form of political 'engagement'.

• Advertisement

When questioning an opposing has been tried and failed over and over ad nauseum. What do you suggest then ?

Kick them out at the next election and replace them with someone who agrees with you.
    (And if that fails, just accept that you have lost the argument and suck it up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The fact they were democratically elected only shows that democracy is ill served. They were elected on a manifesto which they then proceeded to deny and renege upon.
    Politics and politicians are dirtier than the soles of the people's shoes, they deserve no respect from the people because they show none. Noblesse Oblige, my arse.

I agree with you - there are correct ways of demonstrating and this was not one of them

so are you going to tell us about more correct ways of protesting seeing as you can say unequivocally that's this is wrong

yara wrote: »
    so are you going to tell us about more correct ways of protesting seeing as you can say unequivocally that's this is wrong
    You can't figure that one out for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nothing wrong with protesting but smashing windscreens is a bit skangerish tbh.

While most people who protest are reasonable taxpayers a lot of protests attract a minority of scummers who just want to cause trouble.

• Advertisement

You can't figure that one out for yourself?

no because i've organised a few protests, attended even more with each and every single one of them being described as complete failures, sometimes long before they happen by people who seem to have a problem with everything, i wish they could all organise their own brilliant protests that are so perfect they can criticise everyone else's so confidently

yara wrote: »
    no because i've organised a few protests, attended even more with each and every single one of them being described as complete failures, sometimes long before they happen by people who seem to have a problem with everything, i wish they could all organise their own brilliant protests that are so perfect they can criticise everyone else's so confidently

Maybe the simple fact is that the majority of people are satisfied with the efforts of the Government to get Ireland back on track. No matter who is in charge, harsh tactics are called for. We cannot continue to borrow for day to day living. Decisions were taken, for better or worse, in the best interests of Ireland. We are not alone suffering from austerity.
    People have the right to peaceful protest, not to cause criminal damage to anothers property.

What about resorting to threats like Fiasco Phil did with regard to the property tax, does that count ?

Violence is wrong, but lets remember the car was parked on the protester's foot and Hogan refused to move it until a woman opened the door and pleaded with him to cop on and move the car back off the man's foot. I think you'd be pounding on a windscreen too if you foot was trapped and they refused to move the car off it.

Does Enda saying that to tax a person's home was both immoral and unjust still count ? Or like all liars, do they make their morals up as they go along ?

ecowise2 wrote: »
    Violence is wrong, but lets remember the car was parked on the protester's foot and Hogan refused to move it until a woman opened the door and pleaded with him to cop on and move the car back off the man's foot.
    Not what was reported in any news reports I've seen. If they get close enough to try to overturn a vehicle, they must be prepared to accept the consequences. Mindless vandalism has no place in peaceful protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

View wrote: »
    Ah well, no doubt the tax-payer will have to pay for the bill for the windscreen repair, the court appearance of the accused and the Garda Ombudsman investigation.

With "victories" like this, who needs "defeats"?

We'll probably have to pay for medical treatment for yer man's fist as well.

It takes some serious effort to smash a windsreeen with bare hands.
    I reckon he feels the pain today.

I can't even begin to understand how attacking Minister Hogan in his car is going to increase his engagement with the people. It'll more likely have the opposite effect.

Regardless, it isn't an acceptable form of political 'engagement'.

Dont get me wrong - I'm not justifying what happened .... just highlighting the difficulty that people face when trying to engage politicians ...the politicians live in their own bubble and ignore "the plebs"

Dont get me wrong - I'm not justifying what happened .... just highlighting the difficulty that people face when trying to engage politicians ...the politicians live in their own bubble and ignore "the plebs"

Why the Hell should ANYONE, let alone Politicians 'engage' with mindless vandals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Maybe the simple fact is that the majority of people are satisfied with the efforts of the Government to get Ireland back on track. No matter who is in charge, harsh tactics are called for. We cannot continue to borrow for day to day living. Decisions were taken, for better or worse, in the best interests of Ireland. We are not alone suffering from austerity.
    People have the right to peaceful protest, not to cause criminal damage to anothers property.

Do you address Phat Phil as Minister Hogan in your day job. I ask this because only someone paid to do so would make such a statement without a smirk of sarcasm.

Weevil wrote: »
    Do you address Phat Phil as Minister Hogan in your day job. I ask this because only someone paid to do so would make such a statement without a smirk of sarcasm.

Do you not want Ireland to be prosperous again? Thinking positive is much better than negativity. I've no loyalty to any political party. My loyalty lies with Ireland, a great little country and the only place in the World I want to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Nothing wrong with protesting but smashing windscreens is a bit skangerish tbh.

While most people who protest are reasonable taxpayers a lot of protests attract a minority of scummers who just want to cause trouble.

The car was on the Mans foot that why he smashed the screen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement