Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesters smash Windscreen of Minister Hogan Car, protesters to complain!

Options
  • 07-06-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

You couldn't make it up so I won't
    A man has been arrested in Athlone, Co Westmeath after the windscreen of the Environment Minister's car was smashed during a protest this afternoon.

It is understood a number of people protesting at Phil Hogan's visit to Athlone library surrounded the car the Minister was travelling in- as it was leaving a car park.

A spokesperson for the Ministers office has told Shannonside news that a crowd of people surrounded the car and were rocking it, before one man smashed the windscreen with his fist.

John McNamara from the 'The Peoples Voice' political group who were protesting at today's event said that they will be bringing today's incident to the attention of the Garda Ombudsman's.

"We were slowing the car down to make our point, the car drove dangerously at out protesters," he said.

"We will be bringing this to the garda ombudsman because it is an outrageous situation."

Ya lucky Big Phil didn't get out and tax you around the ear with a folder! Seriously though the cheek of these upstart agitators is quite something to behold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A bit cheeky of them to complain but I couldn't condemn their actions. This government haven't listened to anything the people have had to say and sooner or later more direct action will be required. If this is the start of it then I welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

So, someone's car gets vandalised while moving and then a complaint is made to the Garda Ombudsman that the driver drove defensively. I take it that vandalism is now supposed to be consequence free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It amazes me what goes through these peoples head. Like do they think by smacking his car than he can turn the economy around and reverse cut backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Ah well, no doubt the tax-payer will have to pay for the bill for the windscreen repair, the court appearance of the accused and the Garda Ombudsman investigation.

With "victories" like this, who needs "defeats"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Swanner wrote: »
    A bit cheeky of them to complain but I couldn't condemn their actions. This government haven't listened to anything the people have had to say and sooner or later more direct action will be required. If this is the start of it then I welcome it.

So you think smashing someone's windscreen is acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

BluntGuy wrote: »

in some instances is seems it is

http://cork.studenty.me/2012/02/23/gas-turns-to-glass-during-rossport-incident/

Under normal circumstances of course not. But these are not normal times. We have had successive governments working in direct opposition to both the will and the good of the people while continuing to make significant personal gains in the form of inflated salaries and pensions. If it takes a few broken windows to help them see this then I have no issue. Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.
    If you can't win your argument at the ballot box, time to reach for the Armalite, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 ecowise2

Was the car not parked on his foot, and Hogan refused to move it until a woman opened the car door and told Hogan and the driver to cop on and move the car back ?

Fiasco Phil is a cowardly bully boy. Bullies all get what they deserve sooner or later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 ecowise2

Whatever your opinion of Minister Hogan he was elected democratically at the last election.

Violence, threat and intimidation is wrong

Let's face it, it's not as if Fiasco Phil is above using threat and intimidation.

Fiasco Phil doesn't have to resort to violence, just threats.

Where was the democratic vote on the household charge to pay off private billionaires debts at the expense of ordinary people ?

• Advertisement

Eh lets not get carried away with ourselves here. It was a broken windscreen. Armalites and hand grenades ?? Dramatic much ??

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

If he was democratically elected, why does he not listen to the people who elected him?

DanWall wrote: »
    If he was democratically elected, why does he not listen to the people who elected him?

IMO FG lost their mandate when they renaged on the manifesto on which they were elected. If they were little lies you could overlook it. But they were big juicy ones on issues that directly affect our pockets like burning bond holders and implementing the tax on family homes.

ecowise2 wrote: »
    Where was the democratic vote on the household charge to pay off private billionaires debts at the expense of ordinary people ?

It was in the Dail.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=19980&CatID=87

IMO FG lost their mandate when they renaged on the manifesto on which they were elected.

They weren't elected on their manifesto. The people in their wisdom decided not to give them an overall majority, but chose coalition government, with all the horse trading and compromise that entails.

How this links back to a justification for a violent attack on someone is lost on me.

Phoebas wrote: »
    They weren't elected on their manifesto. The people in their wisdom decided not to give them an overall majority, but chose coalition government, with all the horse trading and compromise that entails.

How this links back to a justification for a violent attack on someone is lost on me.

Yes they were. They made promises in order to gain votes. They got those votes and are now in government. Then they broke those promises.

And as for the wisdom of the people in voting for a coalition ?? You're having a laugh surely. Name one instance where labour have manged to force FG's hand on a policy making decisions in relation to bond holders and the Family Home Tax ?

Name one instance where labour have manged to force FG's hand on a policy making decisions in relation to bond holders and the Family Home Tax ?
    The labour manifesto called for a property tax. The FG one didn't.

Labour +1

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/[/QUOTE]

Maryanne, please answer me one question: Is there ANYTHING You cant find fault with in this bunch of thuggish liars for a government?

This thread is about BFP in his car yesterday, what the hell has it got to do with your pr exercise of promoting that accursed lpt???

Phoebas wrote: »
    The labour manifesto called for a property tax. The FG one didn't.

Labour +1

Hardly a victory for labour. It went through because FG didn't have the balls to stand up to Europe and say no. FG call the shots and you know it.

• Advertisement

He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/

Even if those figures are true and I would have my doubts, how many of them are actually registered and how many are spoiled ? I know I've registered but have no intention of paying up. I accept that they will eventually dip into my salary and take it at source but I'm not meekly handing it over like some stooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You will have a chance to kick him out at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even if those figures are true and I would have my doubts, how many of them are actually registered and how many are spoiled ? I know I've registered but have no intention of paying up. I accept that they will eventually dip into my salary and take it at source but I'm not meekly handing it over like some stooge.

So you will pay more to make a point about a tax you don't want to pay. Well done you.

mike65 wrote: »
    So you will pay more to make a point about a tax you don't want to pay. Well done you.

I'll sleep soundly at night safe in the knowledge that I stood by my principals. Yes, we'll done me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grand so, sleep the sleep of the just. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Under normal circumstances of course not. But these are not normal times.

"Under normal circumstances"... what guff.

Your answer is: "yes, I think it's okay to smash someone's windscreen".

I disagree and I don't care for your little caveat of "circumstances" which are arbitrarily defined.
    We have had successive governments working in direct opposition to both the will and the good of the people while continuing to make significant personal gains in the form of inflated salaries and pensions. If it takes a few broken windows to help them see this then I have no issue.

So your two step plan to political reform:

-> Break some windows.

-> Government reduces "inflated salaries and pensions".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)
    Peaceful democracy hasn't worked so why not notch it up a gear.

You suggest this as though it's a novel idea.

It's amazing how many people throughout history have decided violence is a better means to get what they want.

Hardly a victory for labour. It went through because FG didn't have the balls to stand up to Europe and say no. FG call the shots and you know it.
    So let me get this straight. You say that FG call the shots, except that they don't - Europe calls the shots? Even when they are implementing something from the Labour manifesto.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    He is. Over 90% of people have registered for LPT. http://blogs.myhome.ie/2013/05/30/over-90-return-property-tax-forms/[/QUOTE]

Maryanne, please answer me one question: Is there ANYTHING You cant find fault with in this bunch of thuggish liars for a government?

This thread is about BFP in his car yesterday, what the hell has it got to do with your pr exercise of promoting that accursed lpt???

Whether you like it or not, the current Government was democratically elected. The THUGS who vandalised his car are just thugs, who speak for no one other than themselves - if they are able to speak at all. Vandalism and criminal damage is NEVER acceptable. I have pointed out that there are too many TD's Senators and Councillors and that they are paid too much, so, yes, I have found fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

It's amazing how many people throughout history have decided violence is a better means to get what they want.

how many people have made change by conforming/doing what they are told ?

1940's jews come to mind !! (off topic but illustrates the point the people in charge usually make decisions that benefit them and their ilk and those that obey and do not question the motives behind these decisions suffer)

I'm sure the various taxes that have been introduced may be needed - but I'm also sure that if the government gave full accountability for where the funds go and how they are used (and not wasted) then the majority of the country would pay.

a number of years ago we were told the plastic bag tax was to be used for the upkeep/maintanence of the roads ....after a few years and some investigations we get told the money goes into a pot/general fund for use if/when needed.

I would have no problem paying a tax once its justified and the monies collected are not wasted - I would see most of a ministers expenses as being a waste - they are paid well enough so they should be able to afford and pay for some of them (ie. dry cleaning allowance, mobile phone allowance every 12/18months to buy a new phone etc)

I would question the allowance for mileage/travel expenses - there are not a lot of jobs which pay you to drive to work and home - why are ministers allowed claim travel expenses for this ? especially as the majority do not use eco-friendly cars - they are usually 2L or higher engines....also is there a need for so many advisors to travel with a minister ?

• Advertisement

Corkbah wrote: »
    how many people have made change by conforming/doing what they are told ?

1940's jews come to mind !! (off topic but illustrates the point the people in charge usually make decisions that benefit them and their ilk and those that obey and do not question the motives behind these decisions suffer)

I'm sure the various taxes that have been introduced may be needed - but I'm also sure that if the government gave full accountability for where the funds go and how they are used (and not wasted) then the majority of the country would pay.

a number of years ago we were told the plastic bag tax was to be used for the upkeep/maintanence of the roads ....after a few years and some investigations we get told the money goes into a pot/general fund for use if/when needed.

I would have no problem paying a tax once its justified and the monies collected are not wasted - I would see most of a ministers expenses as being a waste - they are paid well enough so they should be able to afford and pay for some of them (ie. dry cleaning allowance, mobile phone allowance every 12/18months to buy a new phone etc)

I would question the allowance for mileage/travel expenses - there are not a lot of jobs which pay you to drive to work and home - why are ministers allowed claim travel expenses for this ? especially as the majority do not use eco-friendly cars - they are usually 2L or higher engines....also is there a need for so many advisors to travel with a minister ?

There is a vast difference between questioning / opposing something / non conformance and resorting to violence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement