Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Anyone spot any good deals on hoses? Looking for a hose reel around 25m long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sirpsycho wrote: »

Aldi have 30 meters of garden hose for a tenner.

Good hose,as I have it in my garden and in 2 years its taken some abuse from me.

Tesco,Clarehall are selling plastic hose reel and 20 meter hose kits for 24 euro.

Woodies sell Garden-Plus 30 meter hose reel kits for about 30 euro

Argos also sell hose kits off on the cheap from time to time.

sirpsycho wrote: »

Chadwicks Builders Providers are currently doing a good deal on a Hozelock 25 meter garden hoze kit.

29 euro for the kit,which comes with the hoze fittings too.

You also get an extendable wash brush free too.:)

Offer valid till 31st May.

I have the Hozelock 50 meter kit,and it a good bit of kit,sturdy too.So the 25 meter kit will be just as good.

Westland Multi-Purpose Compost with added John Innes.

50 litre bags are only 3 euro 89 cents each in Tesco Clarehall.

Thats a great price for some good compost.:)

Appoligies...its actually 3 euro 98 cents per bag.

Still good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

40 litre grow bags in Aldi for €1.49. Be ideal for hanging baskets, they also have similar size bags of soil additive (Lime based) for same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

B&Q are doing 3 for 2 on plants this weekend.

Tesco have 25% off all gardening,outdoor furniture and bbq stuff this weekend.

We picked up 50 litres bags of Westland with John Innes for 3 euro a bag...(they were 4 euro).

We also picked up a good few 50 litre bags of Westland multi-purpose compost for 3 euro 70 cents...(they were 4 euro 95 cents each).

Also Lidl are selling 60 litre bags of Bullrush Ericaceous Compost for 3 euro 99 cents each.Planted some nice Rhododendrons with it recently.

Good stuff,when compared to a more expensive bag of West+ Ericaceous (8 euro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Looking for (good quality) strawberry plants, any ideas?

jameshayes wrote: »
    Looking for (good quality) strawberry plants, any ideas?

Mr Middleton,Howth Garden Centre (just before Dart Station) or Plantagen in Malahide.

Cambridge Favourite or Honoeye are nice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Anyone with a small lawn looking for a new electric lawn mower

http://www.did.ie/proplus-electric-rotary-lawnmower-pps976698-prd

the one shown above and a small electric strimmer are only €39.99 for the two in DID Electrical in Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Any bargains on herb plants? B&q have them for €7 each which i think is mad money.

Based in Kildare

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Any bargains on herb plants? B&q have them for €7 each which i think is mad money.

Based in Kildare

Thanks

I know Orchard do them, something like €2.75 per plant. Try also Johnstown, they'd have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Have you tried your local supermarket? Tesco often have herbs grown in pots - particularly parsley, thyme, sage and basil. Usually around €1.60 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Peter-Nyssen/21570377?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_136&a=1676

I dont have a garden yet, would they keep in the dark for another month or two if purchased now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

sterling10 wrote: »
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Peter-Nyssen/21570377?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_136&a=1676

I dont have a garden yet, would they keep in the dark for another month or two if purchased now?

Thats an excellent deal.

Yes keep the light away from them and they should be fine.

Bear in mind that most people lift them before the first frosts anyway

http://www.irishtimes.com/dahlias-in-fashion-1.1333872

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=592

This week climbers and hollyhocks for 2.99
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/31503.htm

from thursday
    veg and strawberry plants , hanging baskets etc
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/31577.htm

Japanese Acers €15 euro (I bought these last time and they are really good, especially in a nice pot)

large walk in plastic greenhouse €40 euro

grasses bedding etc etc

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-23rd-may/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Will be picking up an Acer or two, thats a great price.

• Advertisement

Tulipout wrote: »
    Will be picking up an Acer or two, thats a great price.

The featherey leaf type are my favourite. Survived the winter and really looking good. I put them in nice big pots and layered the top with small gravel. Looks great.
    I did make a mistake with one of them. I put it on the soil and the roots grew through so its 5ft high now. Still looks good though and hopefully the pot will stop it getting really big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I bought an acer a few years ago and it died, I bought it in a garden centre, it was expensive. So I'm reluctant to buy another one, althought I'd really like to. Are they hard to keep? Very delicate? Should I try again?

peadar76 wrote: »
    I bought an acer a few years ago and it died, I bought it in a garden centre, it was expensive. So I'm reluctant to buy another one, althought I'd really like to. Are they hard to keep? Very delicate? Should I try again?

For that price I would try again. They came through frosts and snow and generally just being left alone!

Tesco in Clarehall were selling off reasonable sized (around 3 feet tall) Acers for 10 euro yesterday.

There were a few left on the shelves where the plants are...down near the TV section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well got to Aldi bray around 16:30 and just two left, neither looked particularly inspiring, hope they get some more back in.
    Quite disappointed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Supercell wrote: »
    Well got to Aldi bray around 16:30 and just two left, neither looked particularly inspiring, hope they get some more back in.
    Quite disappointed.

There was maybe 10 in Aldi Celbridge last night if you are out that way. I wasn't paying them much attention, so not sure what state they were in. A lot of the begonias etc looked like they hadn't been watered in weeks though.

mcgovern wrote: »
    There was maybe 10 in Aldi Celbridge last night if you are out that way. I wasn't paying them much attention, so not sure what state they were in. A lot of the begonias etc looked like they hadn't been watered in weeks though.

They dont get watered once they are put out on sale.

Best bet is to get in there on the morning/day that the plants go on sale.

Aldi/Lidl will usually reduce the price around 2-3 weeks later on,when the plants/shrubs are wilting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Get it on the day they went on sale otherwise you playing Russian roulette whit em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Aldi/Lidl/Tesco also seen them in Dunnes previously do pots of herbs for under E2. Chives, parsley, basil, thyme. Rosemary will grow from a few sprigs. Lost my thyme plants over the winter but the chives and parsley are still going strong. I usually let a couple of parsley plants go to seed so I have a constant supply. Saves buyin them each year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

luteum is certainly not invasive here in ireland. Another interesting thing is that the invasive variety that we know and call ponticum is in fact, not ponticum at all but a hybrid bred from the original species in the nineteenth century

Hundreads of bargains to be had at Bloom this afternoon,as it closed to the public for 2013.

Some of the show gardens sold off their plants and also all the garden/and nursery shops sold off lots of their plants at half price,once 5pm came.

It allways pays to go to Bloom on the Monday afternoon,as its the last day of the event,and the various nurseries and traders want to sell off as much stock as they can.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

paddy147 wrote: »
    Some of the show gardens sold off their plants and also all the garden/and nursery shops sold off lots of their plants at half price,once 5pm came.

It allways pays to go to Bloom on the Monday afternoon,as its the last day of the event,and the various nurseries and traders want to seel off as much stock as they can.:)

Sounds fantastic Paddy -- thanks for the tip - am green with envy :) must remember that for June 2nd 2014 :D

lottpaul wrote: »
    Sounds fantastic Paddy -- thanks for the tip - am green with envy :) must remember that for June 2nd 2014 :D

I DID MENTION IT IN MY POST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Thanks for that too -- I just must have missed it -- am not diligent enough enough to check all of the posts every day :o

Why the block capitals?:confused:

In fairness to Lottpaul and his post..........I dont see any mention on this thread by you about buying plants from Bloom.

I see your good informative posts about various plant and tree bargains from Lidl,Aldi and Ikea,:)..............but none about buying plants from Bloom.

B&Q and Homebase have some burst bags of compost and chip bark out back for sale at the moment.

40-50% off the retail price due to the bags being burst or torn.

Might be handy for someone looking for some compost for potting or planting up a few flowers or a small extra bit of chip bark for around the garden.

Regards and enjoy the cracking sunshine today.:)

Dont forget the suncream aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Why the block capitals?:confused:

In fairness to Lottpaul and his post..........I dont see any mention on this thread by you about buying plants from Bloom.

I see your good informative posts about various plant and tree bargains from Lidl,Aldi and Ikea,:)..............but none about buying plants from Bloom.

Stop backseat moderating

Aldi are currently selling 210 litre water butt kits for 39 euro.

Might be handy for anyone who isnt near a council recycling centre but is close to an Aldi Store.

Also large composting bins on sale in Aldi for 24 euro.

Might be usefull for someone.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Is €4 a fair price for used scaffolding boards?
    2.4m x .22m x .08m

Is €4 a fair price for used scaffolding boards?
    2.4m x .22m x .08m

They are around 3 euro 50 cents here in Dublin for decent used scaffold boards.

So I suppose 4 euro is ok....wouldnt want to be anymore than that for 2nd hand/used boards.

Hmmmhhh. If I offer €30 for 10 then surely we'll strike on €35.

Hmmmhhh. If I offer €30 for 10 then surely we'll strike on €35.

Well 35 euro is better off in the sellers pocket than your pocket...;):)

B&Q have a "3 for 2" offer on all plants this weekend.

21st-24th June.

http://www.diy.com/ie

Well 35 euro is better off in the sellers pocket than your pocket...;):)

Decided to just buy two boards and to make a 1.2 sq m raised bed. When it comes down to it, the price of the raised bed frame is the least expensive part. Filling it is where the cost it.

Anyway, I spent the €8 and made a raised bed. It was a bit of a rushed job. I used a chainsaw to halve the planks. Then I had to use nails rather than screws to hold it together. Not ideal. Fortunately, I'd loads of leftover manure, compost, peat, topsoil, old pot soil, old growbag matter, etc to fill the bed to the brim without having to spend a further penny.

They're certainly not as asthetically pleasing as a shop-bought raised bed, but in term of functionality we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Bought a 'walk in' greenhouse for €25 in Woodies.

It's going to be a tight squeeze fitting it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Bought a 'walk in' greenhouse for €25 in Woodies.

It's going to be a tight squeeze fitting it in.

Thanks! I was looking for one of these at a good price. I've just reserved one for collection. It's going to be a bit of a tight squeeze here too, but I love a challenge. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Thanks! I was looking for one of these at a good price. I've just reserved one for collection. It's going to be a bit of a tight squeeze here too, but I love a challenge. :cool:

I managed to find space for it and I'm delighted with it. My first greenhouse. :D

Btw, my greenhouse came with 4 shelves instead of 6, so hang on to your receipt. Woodies sorted me out.

I just have a couple of questions for anyone who might be able to answer:

Do I need to close the door at night in this hot weather? Also, I'm leaving for about 3 days, so I am thinking of giving the trays (under the pots) a good watering before I go and leaving the door open. The greenhouse gets full of condensation in the morning, until I open the door. Yesterday my small comfrey plants were wilting until I gave a watering, the other plants were fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No need to close the door at night this time of year at all. I leave mine open and everything is absolutely fine.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement