Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Parkside 2800w pressure washers reduced from 110 euro to 60 euro in the new Lidl store in Omni Park Shopping Centre Santry.
    Smaller Parkside 1400w pressure washers reduced from 70 euro to 40 euro,handy to have for the house and garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Loads of herbaceous perennials for €1.49 in Aldi from yesterday (Thursday). I potted up dahlias, agapanthus, heliopsis and day lilies in the greenhouse, here's hoping.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone seen any deals on plants for hanging baskets etc? Most are around €2.50 - €2.99 which can end up pricey when you want 10 or 15 plants for your hanging baskets

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Michaels garden centre in malahide village is a good spot for bedding and trailing plants

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

"Garden plus" branded 6 pattern metal spray gun reduced from €15 to €4.91 in Woodies (Mullingar). Not sure about the quality but it feels quite solid.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Anybody knows where could i buy this or similar cheap in and around dublin? Or should i take the brlow is a good deal? Thx

http://m.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-gardening-express-55/59519195

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tomc77

Free Compost

I have just bought a house. in a corner of the garden is a huge pile of grass and leaves. I have a skip at the moment so was about to dump it. When I dug in it it wasnt the mouldy mess I was expecting but appeared compost like. I am not a gardener but it struck me that this could be useful to someone. It's quite crumbly and dark brown and has some potatoes growing in it! I haven't sufficient posts to post pictures but if you pm me details I can send pics. House is in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. I'm dumping over weekend unless its taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Guy on bargain alerts saying you can plant bachelors marrowfat peas no probs (the dried ones from the box). There selling for 99c in tescos at the mo.

Anyone ever try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcgrueser

Yea I've done it heaps of times. Works a treat. They're lovely straight out of the pod. I've never actually done anything with the peas after i grew them though because all I ever do is eat them right then and there in the garden after picking them! Very cheap seeds too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yes, but only to use as pea toppings for salads. Grow like weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 bernard bluff

does anyone here know of any cheap wholesale bedding plant nurseries round Dublin.TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

mcgrueser wrote: »
    Yea I've done it heaps of times. Works a treat. They're lovely straight out of the pod. I've never actually done anything with the peas after i grew them though because all I ever do is eat them right then and there in the garden after picking them! Very cheap seeds too!!
    Thats brilliant. Never thought of it.

I've done rooster potatoes from the regular shops - worked ok.
    And Marks and Spencers have "Lumpers" - the potatoe from famine times for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mcgrueser wrote: »

Would you germanate them inside or just chuck em in the soil?

Lads I follow this thread and every time I see a new post I think yey a new gardening bargain! but I'm bitterly disappointed to see you are still discussing peas. Maybe a thread on peas perhaps?

Lovely standard-trained rosemary in Aldi for €20. Oddly, though, it has a note on the label that you shouldn't eat it for a year, because "mineral fertiliser" has been applied. What mineral couldn't you consume a herb after - uranium?

tesco have 10pk bedding plants 2 for €5. Thats 25c per plant which is pretty good. they look like they are in 2 inch pots, not huge but good for the price.

seen in tesco monread, naas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

tesco have 10pk bedding plants 2 for €5. Thats 25c per plant which is pretty good. they look like they are in 2 inch pots, not huge but good for the price.

seen in tesco monread, naas

My local Tesco in Waterford got in a huge range of stuff this week too. Lots of bedding plants, shrubs and clematis too.

Lidl has some fabulous Irish roses at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

gk5000 wrote: »
    And Marks and Spencers have "Lumpers" - the potatoe from famine times for sale.

They mustn't taste that nice then.....

What? Too soon??

Shemale wrote: »
    They mustn't taste that nice then.....

What? Too soon??

Not particularly funny to joke about people starving to death, no.

In those days, Irish people ate several stone of potatoes each per day. The Lumper grown then were enormous; unfortunately from that day to this they've been very weak towards blight; I have friends who grow several variety of potatoes and the Lumpers were the only one to be blighted in a year of blight warnings; they tore them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I see lidl have a weed burner coming up for sale next week http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26905

Does anyone use one? Are they decent enough? I've a whole bunch of weeding to be done and wouldn't mind saving the back some pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I see lidl have a weed burner coming up for sale next week http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26905

Does anyone use one? Are they decent enough? I've a whole bunch of weeding to be done and wouldn't mind saving the back some pain!

Cheers, looks like just the job for my patio, will be getting one of these myself. I've a friend that swears by this method as the best way to stop the plants coming back, at least for a while until another seed blows in and the cycle repeats.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Woodies have a new loyalty system, sign up for text alerts and you will get alerts for 20% off weekends. I was told they will be having a text alert 20% weekend in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Lidl have a garden hose and connectors for 14.99, looks like a good price - is there a big difference in quality from one hose to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Bought a lenght of hose in a hardware recently. The quality depends on the amount of layers in hose. I think the
    more layers, the less it it inclined to kink. I.m no expert.........

muckety wrote: »
    Lidl have a garden hose and connectors for 14.99, looks like a good price - is there a big difference in quality from one hose to another?

I'm not one to normally moan about lidl/aldi stuff, but I picked up a hose a couple of years ago. Very thin and constantly tangling. Wouldn't be bothered with it

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I'm not one to normally moan about lidl/aldi stuff, but I picked up a hose a couple of years ago. Very thin and constantly tangling. Wouldn't be bothered with it

I found a wonderful old rose in a ditch the other day and I'm going to return in September to take cuttings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

http://www.dealrush.ie/deal/12886

239 Euro for a 10ft x 20ft Polytunnel Greenhouse with Free Delivery PLUS a FREE Ground Bar Kit and Hot Spot Tape - Grow Your Own Produce

i am not affiliated with dealrush in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

http://www.dealrush.ie/deal/12886

239 Euro for a 10ft x 20ft Polytunnel Greenhouse with Free Delivery PLUS a FREE Ground Bar Kit and Hot Spot Tape - Grow Your Own Produce

i am not affiliated with dealrush in anyway

Cant be so sure about this claim -

"Strong enough for any Irish weather anywhere.":eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Oliver, a standard tree that looks like an olive but isn't. Its for sale in Dunnes €10 each

Advertisement