Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free climbing a crane. I nearly vomited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Someone watch and let me know..
    It's Monday bank holiday ffs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

OK that was weird, what I'd like to know why did he take with him the life size toy Koala bear, and how he fixed the wings on it

man that thing flew for MILES!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Loopy wrote: »
    Someone watch and let me know..
    It's Monday bank holiday ffs :(

I don't feel great after it tbh :(

• Lunatic climbs crane.

Crane is very high.

Lunatic dangles off crane with 2 arms.

Lunatic leaves one arm go and remains dangling.

Everyone has a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The music unnerves me more than the height

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I wonder will he be on the late late show next week now after this?

Moved from After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Must be awful to have a pillock like that for a son, bf, brother. Talk about fúcking asking to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

Knobhead deserves to fall to his death...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If that made you vomit OP then don't go near the NOPE thread.....:P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

He better have dropped into the marina or it's just plain silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Bizarrely, my neck cramped up watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bloody muppet and what does his efforts prove? Nothing except that he's a total idiot of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

gifted wrote: »
    Knobhead deserves to fall to his death...

bit harsh.

FatherLen wrote: »
    bit harsh.

sorry...apologies to all knobheads out there...bollix deserves to fall to his death :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

First of all crazy SOB and second do not watch after a few beers on a bank holiday monday...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

My hands are sweating just watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Can some posters please tone it down. He is crazy, but he does not deserve some of the abuse he is receiving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

That must have been such a sublime sort of rush. Obviously there's the issue of him being a knobhead if he falls and dies and upsets all of his friends and family for the sake of having gone up high but I'm sure it was a memorable experience and to be fair, it's not exactly a challenging climb from a technical point of view so a fall isn't terribly likely.

They say one in two smokers die of a smoking related disease. I very much doubt one in two people who climb to the top of a crane die from a falling off the top of a crane related disease so in the grand scheme of things it's not that outrageous.

It's a classic case of cognitive bias where people imagine an activity such as climbing a crane to be ridiculously dangerous and retarded because they can easily imagine it's negative consequences but the same people will under-estimate the far more prevalent and often far more deadly dangers of things like fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, driving, living in a polluted city etc.

Lot's of people take risks to have fun; don't be calling them knobheads unless you've actually taken the time to evaluate the risks.

• Advertisement

well. I've evaluated the risks and looked at the hazards and frankly my opinion of him is exactly the same..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

That must have been such a sublime sort of rush. Obviously there's the issue of him being a knobhead if he falls and dies and upsets all of his friends and family for the sake of having gone up high but I'm sure it was a memorable experience and to be fair, it's not exactly a challenging climb from a technical point of view so a fall isn't terribly likely.

They say one in two smokers die of a smoking related disease. I very much doubt one in two people who climb to the top of a crane die from a falling off the top of a crane related disease so in the grand scheme of things it's not that outrageous.

It's a classic case of cognitive bias where people imagine an activity such as climbing a crane to be ridiculously dangerous and retarded because they can easily imagine it's negative consequences but the same people will under-estimate the far more prevalent and often far more deadly dangers of things like fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, driving, living in a polluted city etc.

Lot's of people take risks to have fun; don't be calling them knobheads unless you've actually taken the time to evaluate the risks.

It's more the hanging by the fingers of one hand that's quite risky I would have thought. Fair play to him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Which would you prefer though, or which would be a bigger worry for you, a son taking up smoking, or climbing s crane once a day and hanging by one hand from it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Worse to watch than anything thats come up on the nope thread in a while. Sweaty palms all around.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Which would you prefer though, or which would be a bigger worry for you, a son taking up smoking, or climbing s crane once a day and hanging by one hand from it?

Smoking hands down. Although most of the people I know haven't free-climbed anything quite as high as this crane most people I know spent a large part of their childhood climbing trees and things like that and ending up high enough so that a fall could be life-threatening or at the very least make serious injury almost inevitable. That's widely regarded as a natural part of childhood though. The difference between falling from the top of a crane and the top of a tree is that it's going to take you an awful lot longer to hit the ground from the top of the crane. Either way you're in serious trouble.

The fact of the matter is people just don't fall off things for no reason, if we did we wouldn't be able to sit on chairs. While there is a chance the crane guy could have a freak accident and slip the basic mechanical action for the most part is just climbing a ladder, one hand and one foot after the other. The hanging off bit is similar to performing a pull-up and I don't know about you but I've done thousands of pull-ups over the course of my life and I've never just fallen off the bar for no reason.
    (I'm not saying it's not dangerous to climb cranes willy-nilly, just that the dangers can easily be over-stated and they're certainly not as severe as those related to regular smoking).

You don't have that same level of control when you get cancer from smoking too many cigarettes.

While I wouldn't encourage any hypothetical son of mine to get into urban free-climbing I'd definitely be a lot more concerned about the REAL dangers of smoking.

gifted wrote: »
    well. I've evaluated the risks and looked at the hazards and frankly my opinion of him is exactly the same..:D

Grand so, I certainly hope your day job isn't anything to do with evaluating and managing risks or ensuring the safety and well-being of others.

Smoking hands down.
    I doubt that really. Any normal parent would be horrified beyond belief to see a son doing what is done in that video. Anyone that does that type of thing is likely going to do more and more dangerous stuff.
    Although most of the people I know haven't free-climbed anything quite as high as this crane most people I know spent a large part of their childhood climbing trees and things like that and ending up high enough so that a fall could be life-threatening or at the very least make serious injury almost inevitable. That's widely regarded as a natural part of childhood though. The difference between falling from the top of a crane and the top of a tree is that it's going to take you an awful lot longer to hit the ground from the top of the crane. Either way you're in serious trouble.
    If every child that climbed a tree did whats seen in the crane video instead, there would be a few more deaths than happens from the tree climbing.
    The fact of the matter is people just don't fall off things for no reason, if we did we wouldn't be able to sit on chairs. While there is a chance the crane guy could have a freak accident and slip the basic mechanical action for the most part is just climbing a ladder, one hand and one foot after the other. The hanging off bit is similar to performing a pull-up and I don't know about you but I've done thousands of pull-ups over the course of my life and I've never just fallen off the bar for no reason.

It was not just doing pull ups where you stand on the ground, reach up and grip a bar, and pull yourself up, it was walking out to the end of a crane, and climbing down onto a spar, and hang by one hand.

Your comparison between doing pull ups, and swinging by one hand from a crane, is a little bizarre.
    (I'm not saying it's not dangerous to climb cranes willy-nilly, just that the dangers can easily be over-stated and they're certainly not as severe as those related to regular smoking).
    Regular smokers often live the full life term, just not as comfortably as a non smoker on average. A regular climb of a crane and swinging by one hand will very likely mean an early death.

You don't have that same level of control when you get cancer from smoking too many cigarettes.
    One little loss of control while climbing too many cranes and hanging from them, and its immediate death, with no second chances.
    While I wouldn't encourage any hypothetical son of mine to get into urban free-climbing I'd definitely be a lot more concerned about the REAL dangers of smoking.
    Yea, you would sit comfortably while the hypothetical son swings from a position where a single slip means certain death, but would fear for his life if he is smoking, based on you feeling safe while doing pull ups a foot off the ground.

A real son however, and the daily crane climbing/swinging might just be a little more troubling for you, than if he was doing pull ups.

Grand so, I certainly hope your day job isn't anything to do with evaluating and managing risks or ensuring the safety and well-being of others.

Well you compared hanging from a crane by one arm as seen in the video, to doing pull ups. So safety assessment wouldnt seem to be your best attribute anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A regular climb of a crane and swinging by one hand will very likely mean an early death.

Source?

• Advertisement

Source?

So, you believe a good percentage of the population will manage to climb a crane, and hang by one hand, regularly without falling, until into their 70's?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement