Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Toronto?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gonzo89

Hi everyone.
    Myself and my mate are moving to Toronto on the 24th of July. We're both 24year old men from Dublin, looking for any advice on finding affordable accommodation, good locations or for others looking to share an apartment/house.

Also, does anyone have a rough idea how long it takes to get a social security number? And any other advice on living in Toronto would be greatly appreciated too!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Hey guys myself and two friends are moving to toronto at the end of the month. Anyone know of touristy places that will be hiring for the summer? we have experience in retail/sales and also have degrees in health but finding it difficult to suss out jobs over there while here in Ireland. Would be willing to try anything. Also with accomodation, I know it can be very expensive in the city, so we would be willing to share with people to keep the costs down if anyone is in the same boat let me know. thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gonzo89

Hi Sophie, yeah looks like you're in the same boat as ourselves. Think we'll be heading over a bit later than you though, we're going on the 24th of July. There's just the two of us, so we'll definitely be looking for flat/house mates to keep the price down, if you guys haven't found anything by the end of the July give us a shout anyway. I'll pm you my email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cooper41

hey sophie, when are you arriving in TO? I get there on the 9th of July-if you need another person to share, Id be keen to meet up when there? Gonzo same to yourself-i think getting the Social security no is quite straight forward, just need to go to a service centre-modern city hall in Toronto-and bring your passport and permit with you. takes about 10 days ive heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

you'll get your SSN straight away, the actual card takes 10ish days to get sent to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

I'm arriving in Toronto 24th of june, I have accomodation until 1st of July- hoping to move in to a place then. My 2 friends are there already and are finding it really hard to find work & a place to live. Kinda freaked out now because I'm going on my own : /

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

COYVB wrote: »
    Yeah I'm here for the long haul now. My situation is slightly different to most in the way my employment is structured, and I brought a job with me rather than having to go looking, so I'm not sure I can offer too much sage advice unfortunately beyond the basics...

- if you have a good phone, get it unlocked and bring it with you, then sign up with koodo for your mobile
    - using your atm card to withdraw money from your Irish account usually yields better exchange rates than a foreign exchange place
    - don't get cable
    - look at living outside Toronto, you'll get much better rental prices for bigger and nicer places (stick to the go train route though)
    - car insurance is incredibly pricey
    - with your irish license if you bring a letter from the issuing authority stating your driving experience, you'll be able to get an Ontario driving license pretty quickly. You have to first sit a theory test (it's easy), then you can immediately book your G test. I advise getting some lessons though, they do a lot of things differently to us
    - shop at no frills for your groceries, or get a Costco card if there's one near where you're planning on living
    - drink is incredibly expensive, even at the LCBO (the provincial offies, and the only place to buy non-wine drink), so look at giving it up aside from the occasional pint. falling around like we do back home isn't looked kindly upon- shop at old navy for your day to day clothes, their prices are great and the quality of their clothes is just fine
    - use the dollar store for smaller purchases if possible - you'd be amazed what you find in there

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head

I never noticed public drunkeness being frowned upon. Maybe I was too drunk.

I've been going to Canada a couple of times a year since 2003, married to a Canadian lady. I have noticed that Ontario is quite dry compared to Quebec. I spent 2 hours driving around Peterborough, On looking for a few beers to bring to a BBQ one Sunday. Little did I know you can't get any take out beers after 4pm on a Sunday in that part of the world.

I'll never understand the alcohol laws in Ontario; you can get beer in the Beer Store and beer and spirits in the LCBO. That's it, except for wine in supermarkets. Tis mental carry on.

Quebec is very similar to Ireland with it's laws, except with later opening. Beer and spirits available in corner stores, supermarkets etc..

So basically if you enjoy a scoop or 2, learn a bit of French and move to Montreal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement