Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Toronto?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amster

COYVB wrote: »
    If you're in the live sound gig, then you might be able to get yourself something doing events. The musical side of it will be incredibly difficult for you to break into, but there are so many corporate events that literally require a little bit of quick and easy cabling and mixing that you might be able to get something in that neck of the woods. Qualified sound engineer myself, but haven't even so much as considered it as a gig over here

Yeah I was looking at doing some things with event management companies - I have project director experience, on the festival side, and will be doing that up until just before I go to Canada. I am going to volunteer with various festivals just to get some Canadian festival experience and at least I will meet new people if nothing else. I am def not going over with the view that I can just walk in to what I have over here in Ireland - I know I will have to start from the bottom and work my way up. It will be worth it though!

Eutow wrote: »
    The best way to do it in my opinion. It forces you to go out and meet new people. I didn't know anybody when I came out here almost two years ago. If you stay at a hostel when you first get over here it's very easy to make new firends as a lot of people are in a similar position to yourself.

Yeah I am planning on staying in a hostel for exactly that reason! I am going to houseshare aswel rather than get a place on my own. Any suggestions for good hostels to stay in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

amster wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking at doing some things with event management companies - I have project director experience, on the festival side, and will be doing that up until just before I go to Canada. I am going to volunteer with various festivals just to get some Canadian festival experience and at least I will meet new people if nothing else. I am def not going over with the view that I can just walk in to what I have over here in Ireland - I know I will have to start from the bottom and work my way up. It will be worth it though!

Look into Osheaga festival in Montreal in August. It's really the only festival I'm aware of it that compares to anything like Ireland

Look into Osheaga festival in Montreal in August. It's really the only festival I'm aware of it that compares to anything like Ireland

Thanks! I have work that runs until the start of Sept so I will miss it but I will def look in to the company behind it and the 2014 one. Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ledge87

Im hoping to move to Toronto in late may early June (nothing booked yet).
    Iv got work and accommodation for the first few weeks sorted.
    I wouldn't be to worried moving on your own as most people are in the same situation an its easy to make friends and meet people. My advice would be to join as many clubs as they are a great way to meet people and make friends.
    The GAA scene seems strong in Toronto even if you never played or cant play, id advise you to join as its a great place to meet people an chat about home etc it helps with home sickness even if you think you will never be home sick it does happen.

• Advertisement

ledge87 wrote: »
    Im hoping to move to Toronto in late may early June (nothing booked yet).
    Iv got work and accommodation for the first few weeks sorted.
    I wouldn't be to worried moving on your own as most people are in the same situation an its easy to make friends and meet people. My advice would be to join as many clubs as they are a great way to meet people and make friends.
    The GAA scene seems strong in Toronto even if you never played or cant play, id advise you to join as its a great place to meet people an chat about home etc it helps with home sickness even if you think you will never be home sick it does happen.

Thanks for the advice :) It's great to see so many going over on their own aswel! Yeah a lot of people have said about the GAA - I don't and have never played, and will be awful, but I am def going to look in to it. I saw on a few dif forums there are some teams that are mostly all beginners so be grand! That's great that you have work and accomm sorted for the first while, gives you a few weeks to get yourself settled in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cooper41

I got all the docs into VisaFirst on the 29th Jan and still anxiously waiting on the letter of introduction...Anyone else use a third party to apply for the IEC? Wish I had done the application myself now as you're unable to check your status through Kompass account! Hopefully off early to mid Sept depending on how the finances are! Will you be heading to a hostel first or house share? Everyone's saying the craic is better had at the hostels...know someone who spent 5 months in one best time of her life!

cooper41 wrote: »
    I got all the docs into VisaFirst on the 29th Jan and still anxiously waiting on the letter of introduction...Anyone else use a third party to apply for the IEC? Wish I had done the application myself now as you're unable to check your status through Kompass account! Hopefully off early to mid Sept depending on how the finances are! Will you be heading to a hostel first or house share? Everyone's saying the craic is better had at the hostels...know someone who spent 5 months in one best time of her life!

I did it myself but I've read a few times that people who have used them are waiting too so I'd imagine they are taking their time sending them to the CIC. Have you gotten on to them about it? It's a joke that they don't give you your login details! From as far as I can see, and myself included, the Kompass account status has stayed on Pending for the final two stages for everyone despite having the LOI.

I'll be going mid- Sept and will be staying in a hostel for the first bit. I've heard the Canadiana is a good one. Def think its the way to go, esp when going over on your own! Awh I'd say she had some laugh alrite, some stories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

I'm going to Toronto at the end of May with 3 of my friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

Booked my flight for Toronto for 28th December. Can't feckin wait to get over! Got it through budgetair for a feckin steal !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

cianjg wrote: »
    Booked my flight for Toronto for 28th December. Can't feckin wait to get over! Got it through budgetair for a feckin steal !

Risky date you'll still be hanging ha. Best time to go after xmas is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 15 itsshowtime

hey guys,

I said id pop into this tread as like most of you guys im heading for Canada. I am flying into Toronto on the 27th May and as excited I am abou the move I am also a wee bit apprehensive as I am going alone. I dont have any friends out there as most of them are here and settled down. I guess its called fear of the unknown but i need the fear factor to get me up. Anyway im 33 from Meath and i consider myself to be pretty sound. If there is anyone who is in a similar position who needs a wingman you can give me a shout. Alternatively if there is a community reading this who are already there, has accomodation and could do with a guy to split the rent gimme a shout at your convenience. Good luck and God Speed.

itsshowtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clodgh

hey guys,

I said id pop into this tread as like most of you guys im heading for Canada. I am flying into Toronto on the 27th May and as excited I am abou the move I am also a wee bit apprehensive as I am going alone. I dont have any friends out there as most of them are here and settled down. I guess its called fear of the unknown but i need the fear factor to get me up. Anyway im 33 from Meath and i consider myself to be pretty sound. If there is anyone who is in a similar position who needs a wingman you can give me a shout. Alternatively if there is a community reading this who are already there, has accomodation and could do with a guy to split the rent gimme a shout at your convenience. Good luck and God Speed.

itsshowtime.

I'm in the same boat. Heading out on the 30th April alone and knowing nobody over there. I'm 21 and also from Meath. There seems to be loads of groups you can organize meetups with to make a few friends and staying if you're staying in a hostel for a few days when you arrive you're sure to meet some people!! :D
    Heres a couple of links I found online:
    http://www.torontofriends.org/
    http://www.meetup.com/irish-society-toronto/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

Weathering wrote: »
    Risky date you'll still be hanging ha. Best time to go after xmas is dead

Ah I know but sure few alka-seltzer and I'll be fine ha !

Hi Clodgh,

Thanks a million for your reply. its good to know that there are people in the same boat. ill defo have a look at the links that you sent and do a wee bit of research. what part of meath are you from? Ger

hey guys,

itsshowtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

hey folks,

Thinking of making the move myself in September on my own. I'm a nurse (psych) and there seems to be a lot of jobs there but its a small fortune to get set up and registered over there. Whats the job scene like? I'd be looking at getting some bar work or something until I get a date for my registration exam? Been looking at places to live in Toronto but not getting much in the line of apartments. Any recommended sites would be appreciated.

hey guys,

itsshowtime.

Heya potential wingman,
    Im headed over on the 9th July, a bit like yourself a bit nervous as headed on my own. Will be looking for accommodation as well (the roomshare websites are feckin dreadfull or is it just me?? not like our oul daft...) but sure when Im there you'll have definitely got a feel for the place. Anyway be nice to know someone in the same boat and hear about your adventures. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Obro

My friend moved back to Toronto last week for good. He had worked there before and only came back to Ireland for the birth of his child. He will have a 40ft high cube container leaving the midlands (Ireland) next month with his belongings and he doubths it will be full if anyone needs anything brought out then it may be possible for a small charge. if interested just pm me.

hey cooper,

thanks for the reply. on one hand im excited about the trip and on the other im a bit apprehensive. im gonna treat it as a holiday for a couple of week and ill know after that how im feeling. id prefer go, fall on my face and come back. rather than wonder what might have been. i agree with you re the accomodation sites. its so hard to tell what a place is like until you actually see it and then you have to find a suitable area thats not a ghetto for local gangs. i guess its all part of the adventure. anyway stay in touch mate and maybe we get to blow the froath of a couple of beers at some point. itsshowtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Gonzo89

Hi everyone.
    Myself and my mate are moving to Toronto on the 24th of July. We're both 24year old men from Dublin, looking for any advice on finding affordable accommodation, good locations or for others looking to share an apartment/house.

Also, does anyone have a rough idea how long it takes to get a social security number? And any other advice on living in Toronto would be greatly appreciated too!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Hey guys myself and two friends are moving to toronto at the end of the month. Anyone know of touristy places that will be hiring for the summer? we have experience in retail/sales and also have degrees in health but finding it difficult to suss out jobs over there while here in Ireland. Would be willing to try anything. Also with accomodation, I know it can be very expensive in the city, so we would be willing to share with people to keep the costs down if anyone is in the same boat let me know. thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gonzo89

Hi Sophie, yeah looks like you're in the same boat as ourselves. Think we'll be heading over a bit later than you though, we're going on the 24th of July. There's just the two of us, so we'll definitely be looking for flat/house mates to keep the price down, if you guys haven't found anything by the end of the July give us a shout anyway. I'll pm you my email address.

hey sophie, when are you arriving in TO? I get there on the 9th of July-if you need another person to share, Id be keen to meet up when there? Gonzo same to yourself-i think getting the Social security no is quite straight forward, just need to go to a service centre-modern city hall in Toronto-and bring your passport and permit with you. takes about 10 days ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

you'll get your SSN straight away, the actual card takes 10ish days to get sent to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

I'm arriving in Toronto 24th of june, I have accomodation until 1st of July- hoping to move in to a place then. My 2 friends are there already and are finding it really hard to find work & a place to live. Kinda freaked out now because I'm going on my own : /

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah I'm here for the long haul now. My situation is slightly different to most in the way my employment is structured, and I brought a job with me rather than having to go looking, so I'm not sure I can offer too much sage advice unfortunately beyond the basics...

- if you have a good phone, get it unlocked and bring it with you, then sign up with koodo for your mobile
    - using your atm card to withdraw money from your Irish account usually yields better exchange rates than a foreign exchange place
    - don't get cable
    - look at living outside Toronto, you'll get much better rental prices for bigger and nicer places (stick to the go train route though)
    - car insurance is incredibly pricey
    - with your irish license if you bring a letter from the issuing authority stating your driving experience, you'll be able to get an Ontario driving license pretty quickly. You have to first sit a theory test (it's easy), then you can immediately book your G test. I advise getting some lessons though, they do a lot of things differently to us
    - shop at no frills for your groceries, or get a Costco card if there's one near where you're planning on living
    - drink is incredibly expensive, even at the LCBO (the provincial offies, and the only place to buy non-wine drink), so look at giving it up aside from the occasional pint. falling around like we do back home isn't looked kindly upon- shop at old navy for your day to day clothes, their prices are great and the quality of their clothes is just fine
    - use the dollar store for smaller purchases if possible - you'd be amazed what you find in there

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head

I never noticed public drunkeness being frowned upon. Maybe I was too drunk.

I've been going to Canada a couple of times a year since 2003, married to a Canadian lady. I have noticed that Ontario is quite dry compared to Quebec. I spent 2 hours driving around Peterborough, On looking for a few beers to bring to a BBQ one Sunday. Little did I know you can't get any take out beers after 4pm on a Sunday in that part of the world.

I'll never understand the alcohol laws in Ontario; you can get beer in the Beer Store and beer and spirits in the LCBO. That's it, except for wine in supermarkets. Tis mental carry on.

Quebec is very similar to Ireland with it's laws, except with later opening. Beer and spirits available in corner stores, supermarkets etc..

So basically if you enjoy a scoop or 2, learn a bit of French and move to Montreal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement