Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

ardmacha wrote: »
    Sadly, many truck drives seem as ill-informed about the law as you.

Well, I'm not a truck driver.

But this law is totally unenforced I presume -based on the fact that overtaking trucks are nearly as common as overtaking cars!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's been more overtaking since the 90km/h rule came in, as there's still trucks stuck with 80 limiters and also 90 gives more headroom

However, I'd say there's still more non-Irish registered trucks overtaking than Irish registered, most of them are entirely unaware we have rules on it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was driving on the M7 today and the amount of lorries overtaking and holding back cars in the fast lane was awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Overtaking lane. Calling it the "fast lane" just causes things like that, people assume "I'm going fast, I'm allowed be here..."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

MYOB wrote: »
    Overtaking lane. Calling it the "fast lane" just causes things like that, people assume "I'm going fast, I'm allowed be here..."

That's what I meant. No need to be RSA priggish about it.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That's what I meant. No need to be RSA priggish about it.

Just trying to stop the perpetuation of part of the problem.

The RSA have a habit of calling it that, weirdly.

However, I'd say there's still more non-Irish registered trucks overtaking than Irish registered, most of them are entirely unaware we have rules on it

Might help if the restrictions were signposted. I drive about 30k/annum on those motorways and was unaware of the rule.

Hardly expect foreign truck drivers to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Quickelles wrote: »
    Might help if the restrictions were signposted. I drive about 30k/annum on those motorways and was unaware of the rule.

Hardly expect foreign truck drivers to know about it.

Where did you live when the iif posted out a copy of the rules of the road to almost every house in the country some years back?

If you were to visit a foreign country, wouldn't you familiarise yourself with the differences in traffic laws before you went?

If you were to visit a foreign country, wouldn't you familiarise yourself with the differences in traffic laws before you went?

Absolutely not!

And I drive abroad a lot.

I read the signs and follow the lines. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

BTW this item was recently discussed at a Kildare County Council meeting. See the minutes below... although it was ultimately put off for a month (latest minutes not available yet).

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/CorporateServices/CorporateServices/CouncilMeetings/KildareCountyCouncilCommitteeMeetings/2013/Minutes/130325.pdf

• Advertisement

I assume "Newhall Junction" is the "Naas South" exit?

Pretty inadequate at this stage...they hadn't discovered dumbells back in 1980!

Quickelles wrote: »
    I assume "Newhall Junction" is the "Naas South" exit?

Pretty inadequate at this stage...they hadn't discovered dumbells back in 1980!

No, this is the proposed junction between Naas North and South. Required now due to the 800+ cars that will be heading to the Kerry Site once constructed (their planning permission includes 768 parking spaces)

BuzzFish wrote: »
    No, this is the proposed junction between Naas North and South. Required now due to the 800+ cars that will be heading to the Kerry Site once constructed (their planning permission includes 768 parking spaces)

No, that's Osberstown.

Newhall is Naas South.

No, that's Osberstown.

Newhall is Naas South.

I misread the post and thought the previous poster was referring to the council meeting minutes I'd posted. It was Osberstown that was discussed at the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah the plans I've seen show Osberstown as a new junction and Newhall (Naas South) rebuilt and moved westbound a little bit.

Yeah the plans I've seen show Osberstown as a new junction and Newhall (Naas South) rebuilt and moved westbound a little bit.

Naas South could certainly do with an upgrade...where is the rebuilt junction to be located...south of the Naas - Newbridge dual carriageway overbridge?

Any links to drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Updated info on the widening and the Osberstown Interchange / Sallins By-pass can be found here:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/

Links on the left. Public consultation happening this Wednesday (29/05/2013).

Makes a lot of sense.

The junction will connect the dual-carriageway R445 rather than a tiny local road.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Suggests that the existing disused M7 farm access bridge to be replaced/repaired with a single structure in the same location, rather than a large two bridge roundabout like at M4 Jn 8 Kilcock, as per previous set of maps for this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Updated info on the widening and the Osberstown Interchange / Sallins By-pass can be found here:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/

Links on the left. Public consultation happening this Wednesday (29/05/2013).

Any likely date as to when this might be started / completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Who will pay for this Interchange & by-pass? I understood there was no more money being given to new road projects due to the recession? Great news if it does happen however!

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    I understood there was no more money being given to new road projects due to the recession?

This would be a widening of an old road rather than a new project!

The Lord will provide :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Just found this thread, any updates on this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

I was at the public consultation and was told that
    detailed design and tender issue would take place
    in 2014 with planned construction to begin in

Dependent on funding of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

NedNew2 wrote: »

The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7 Naas Upgrade - 140110.pdf

richiek83 wrote: »
    The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7 Naas Upgrade - 140110.pdf

I know from the project management team in Kerry for the new Kerry Centre in Naas, that part of their permission is based on junction 9a (Osberstown) being completed within a year of the site opening (due early Q1 2015). I'd imagine the widening scheme will be part of this work?

edit...
    ... just read the doc. No mention of Osberstown exit. Am I wrong so, will there be no Junction 9a?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I know from the project management team in Kerry for the new Kerry Centre in Naas, that part of their permission is based on junction 9a (Osberstown) being completed within a year of the site opening (due early Q1 2015). I'd imagine the widening scheme will be part of this work?

edit...
    ... just read the doc. No mention of Osberstown exit. Am I wrong so, will there be no Junction 9a?

BuzzFish. I think they are separate schemes that will be built at the same time as far as I know. I think they are the subject of the two different EIS. The interchange and Sallins ByPass is one scheme and the M7 Widening and Junction Improvements is the other. There definitely will be a junction 9a

richiek83 wrote: »
    BuzzFish. I think they are separate schemes that will be built at the same time as far as I know. I think they are the subject of the two different EIS. The interchange and Sallins ByPass is one scheme and the M7 Widening and Junction Improvements is the other. There definitely will be a junction 9a

Folks,

EIS of the M7 Widening is now online at the following link.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7NaastoNewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeScheme2013/EIS-EIA/

• Advertisement

None of the existing overbridges to be replaced, barring whats happening at Newhall. Quite a lot of a difference from the mysterious screeching we used to have on here about every single one of them being too narrow...

I believe the accommodation overbridge is being removed in the Osberstown Interchange work but that's only an aside.

Advertisement