Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU considers phasing out 1c and 2c coins

Options
  • 15-05-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

The European Commission on Tuesday (14 May) tabled several scenarios for the withdrawal of the 1 and 2 euro cent coins, with the cost of printing these coins greater than their use.

"The production of 1 and 2 cent coins is clearly a loss-making activity for the euro area with the difference between the face value of the coins and the price paid by the state to get them pointing at an estimated total cumulative loss of €1.4 billion since 2002," the commission said in a press release.

Public opinion about the 1 and 2 euro cent coins is "rather paradoxical", says the commission, referring to various Eurobarometers. On the one hand, people seem attached to these coins and fear inflation should they to disappear. But on the other hand, they do not re-circulate them.

http://euobserver.com/economic/120124

It may or may not mean an end to €1.99! style pricing - you can still price things as that, but they really will be €2 instead of you getting a tiny bit of change.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

What about the McDonalds euro saver meal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It will still be a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

I can see you are easily confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

It's about bleedin time. The only place your likely to use these stupid coins is machines for parking and the likes, and most of them won't take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Excellent idea.

Expect Irish retailers to commence price gouging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

We dont use them in out shop anyway. If something comes to 19.95 to .99 they dont get change from a €20.

Smyths toystore will lose out since they never want to give you 1 cent change. I have to ask for it and when they say they have none, I tell them to give me 2 or 5 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

DylanII wrote: »
    We dont use them in out shop anyway. If something comes to 19.95 to .99 they dont get change from a €20.

You are gouging already before it comes in ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I lived in the Netherlands, a lot of the chains employed Swedish Rounding. Essentially, things were priced as normal, i.e. 97c. €1.28. At the till, your total was displayed correctly, but the shop assistant would round up or down to the nearest 5c and give change accordingly. I presume that the law of averages meant that it balanced out for the shop and consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I would ban pricing like that first off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The ECB is getting what it deserves. The question is why the Euro was denominated at such a low level so that its fractions become useless within 10 years of its launch. If the Euro was worth twice as much it would have made more sense, i.e. IR£1.45

ardmacha wrote: »
    The ECB is getting what it deserves. The question is why the Euro was denominated at such a low level so that its fractions become useless within 10 years of its launch. If the Euro was worth twice as much it would have made more sense, i.e. IR£1.45

But they are still holding on to the 5 cents so €1.45 is still possible

I like collecting, counting and bagging my change. This disappoints me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

About time. The 1c and 2c coins were never introduced here in Finland and every time I go back to Ireland, I get cluttered up with these miniature coins weighing down my pockets. Nothing but a nuisance.

deman wrote: »
    About time. The 1c and 2c coins were never introduced here in Finland and every time I go back to Ireland, I get cluttered up with these miniature coins weighing down my pockets. Nothing but a nuisance.

I have a big jar off them and i'm too lazy to count them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

deman wrote: »

Pity somebody in this country couldn't use the same level of intelligence, such rubbish coins they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

woodoo wrote: »

Bring them into the bank.... they will count them for you.

I bring my small change jar to my local pub about every 6 months. The banks charge business for change, so they are delighted to get it. Ant it pays for my few pints:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Probably bad news for the charity boxes, otherwise i don't see the down side, it's very rare i use cash these days

I think that they'd just change to .95 pricing if these coins are withdrawn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bring a bunch to tesco and dump them in the self service till when you're buying something. You'll be rid of them in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The European Commission on Tuesday (14 May) tabled several scenarios for the withdrawal of the 1 and 2 euro cent coins, with the cost of printing these coins greater than their use.

That's not really the case though is it. Even if they cost say 50c to make each 1c coin it only has to be used in 50 transactions to 'pay for itself'. Considering how long coins tend to last it's easily achievable.

The Dutch system is a good one however and the same is applied in New Zealand, the total of the bill being rounded if paying in cash but remaining exact if paying by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

You better hope I don't come into your shop then ... because if something costs €20 but is priced €19.99 because you think your customers are morons, any goodwill I have to ye is gone, kaput ... and I'm going to want my cent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

But they are still holding on to the 5 cents so €1.45 is still possible

?:confused:?:confused:
    Fill this blank with 'YES' or 'NO'
    ____ I dont understand the English Language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Karsini wrote: »
    I think that they'd just change to .95 pricing if these coins are withdrawn.
    Nope, they would still charge .99 (and then round it up/down depending on what the total ends up if needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I can't work out whether this is supposed to be serious.

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

skafish wrote: »
    Bring them into the bank.... they will count them for you.

Do you not need to bag them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The euro was priced the way it was due to the bilateral agreements between the members of the ERM which controlled the exchange rates of the currencies. The prices were set in 1998 based on the market rates of the time. The ECB didn't choose the rates, it merely rubber-stamped them. The rates were chosen by the markets under frameworks defined in the Maastricht treaty.

31 December 1998 - Determination of the euro conversion rates

Ignoring the fact that this would have breached all sorts of treaties and agreements, do you really think that the other 10 contemporary Eruozone states as well as the 4 other EU members would have allowed Ireland to devalue the punt by 50%?

Btw, the euro rate was €1=IR£0.787564 - making "twice as much" IR£1.575128.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

antoobrien wrote: »
    The euro was priced the way it was due to the bilateral agreements between the members of the ERM which controlled the exchange rates of the currencies. The prices were set in 1998 based on the market rates of the time. The ECB didn't choose the rates, it merely rubber-stamped them. The rates were chosen by the markets under frameworks defined in the Maastricht treaty.

31 December 1998 - Determination of the euro conversion rates

Ignoring the fact that this would have breached all sorts of treaties and agreements, do you really think that the other 10 contemporary Eruozone states as well as the 4 other EU members would have allowed Ireland to devalue the punt by 50%?

Btw, the euro rate was €1=IR£0.787564 - making "twice as much" IR£1.575128.

He said the denominaiton not the rate specific to Ireland. The Euro could have had its denomination at a different level meaning the rate to each member state would be changed accordingly. So €5 would have been set at the value of what €10 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

enda1 wrote: »
    He said the denominaiton not the rate specific to Ireland. The Euro could have had its denomination at a different level meaning the rate to each member state would be changed accordingly. So €5 would have been set at the value of what €10 was.

He said both actually - sepcifying a rate of €1=IR£1.45

The denominations were the same (2 coin excepted) Ireland at the time, why would we object to that?

What (eurozone) country at the time didn't have a 1/2c equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

antoobrien wrote: »
    He said both actually - sepcifying a rate of €1=IR£1.45

The denominations were the same (2 coin excepted) Ireland at the time, why would we object to that?

What (eurozone) country at the time didn't have a 1/2c equivalent?

That that would have been Ireland's rate. All the other members would have been changed accordingly.

Advertisement