Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Pink Rabbit sounds beautiful. Very impressed so far; need some settling in time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

seachto7 wrote: »
    For free? I still cannot understand how people don't see the problem with this. How much do you think it cost them to record, mix and master the album?

Why should they even bother? What would people say if they decided half ways through recording "f*ck it, this is costing too much, and people will steal it once it's recorded, let's not bother making music anymore, and just go back to our day jobs".

People would be pi55ing and moaning then. I'm pi55ing against the wind with this rant, but there you go...........

As stated the more people who download, the more fans the band will have. A lot of downloading sites use this as a way to promote new bands.

Also true fans can, and will pay for an album if they feel the artist deserves to recoup the money spent on the recording process.

I download most of my albums because there's so many I want to hear and simply don't have the money to buy them all just for the sake of sampling, but if I really enjoy an album I will get myself a physical copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Okay enough discussion on downloading folks, let's keep it about the album please.

(Just pretend you streamed it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You wouldn't buy a can of paint without trying a tester pot first.

Would you work for free for a few months while your employer sussed you out to see if you were good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm a bit disappointed so far - swallow the cap is great though. Sounds like a few tracks could have been left off to give a much tighter 10/11 track record imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I really think it's a great record, it's a fine, fine return. I love what they have done with 'I Need My Girl', sounds fantastically beautiful. 'Heavenfaced' has really grown on me too.

My only small grip is that the album has a sort of mellow tone running throughout it, I think maybe it needed 1 or 2 songs that were a bit more 'drummy' if anyones knows what I mean. Something like 'Secret Meeting' or 'Conversation 16'.

But otherwise I'm enjoying listening to it more and more with every listen.

From what I have heard "legally", it's much in the same vein as what cam before. I dunno, I'd listen to what I have rather than "the same again", if that makes sense....?

From what I have heard "legally", it's much in the same vein as what cam before. I dunno, I'd listen to what I have rather than "the same again", if that makes sense....?

It doesn't. The album definitely stands on it's own.

A review I read sums it up very good I think...

"It's a great National album, and that's all I'll ever ask for"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Streaming now on itunes........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Corholio wrote: »
    I really think it's a great record, it's a fine, fine return. I love what they have done with 'I Need My Girl', sounds fantastically beautiful. 'Heavenfaced' has really grown on me too.

My only small grip is that the album has a sort of mellow tone running throughout it, I think maybe it needed 1 or 2 songs that were a bit more 'drummy' if anyones knows what I mean. Something like 'Secret Meeting' or 'Conversation 16'.

But otherwise I'm enjoying listening to it more and more with every listen.

Agree totally, it's missing a Mr. November or two for me. After a few listens it's a very good record, just a little dour the whole way through.

I'm sure the songs will sound a bit livelier in the flesh though.

It usually takes their albums a little while to grow on me but I'm already starting to love this. The album has such a beautiful tone to it. There is a sense of hopelessness and heartbreak all the way through the album that is captivating and emotionally-draining to listen to. I feel like I should be listening to this while watching reels of Super-8 footage or something like that. It's such an amazing feat that The National are still able to make albums like this while other bands fade away or split up. They're growing old gracefully and still making some wonderful, slow-burning music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lil C

There's a competition on Today FM (Paul McLoone show) this week for tickets for the 02 and the album. There's also an interview with the band tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Haven't listened to the album yet, I preordered it and if I listened to the stream then it'd ruin the excitement and anticipation of the preorder. I'm ridiculously excited about this album, and also was a bit disappointed when I saw the 02 was where they'd be playing. Yeah, it's a good venue I guess, but it's by no means a favourite of mine.

Also, does anyone know if there are plans for 'Mistaken for Strangers' to be shown over here? I feel like it could work in somewhere like the lighthouse, and I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clap your handsay yeah

Just got my pre-ordered copy already this morning :D Wasn't expecting it so soon, not a fan of the cardboard sleeve tbh, hate having to slide my precious CD from the case :P. Don't swallow the cap is so damn good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

The album is fantastic, as expected. Very much looking forward to hearing them played in the flesh.

• Advertisement

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Demons' when I first heard it, but listening to it within the album it's gone up hugely in my estimation. Think it just needed repeated listens to get used to the subtlety's.

Asked this already, can't find info online on which tracks the collaborators are on. Anyone able to work it out? Some big names there.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

In love with the new album...they NEVER disappoint in my eyes! <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Asked this already, can't find info online on which tracks the collaborators are on. Anyone able to work it out? Some big names there.
    Presume it's St. Vincent on 'This is the last time'??

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Presume it's St. Vincent on 'This is the last time'??

Yep, that sounds right.

• Advertisement

I've only listened thru it twice but found it all a bit dreary. Still thou their albums are always growers so I won't make any rash decisions
    Looking forward to the marquee gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

After a number of days of listening, the album just keeps growing and growing on me. After a few listens of an album, I start to skip some songs that I would not like, but have to say that I have not done this on "Trouble will find me".
    Also does "I need my girl" remind anyone of Bon Iver's "Holocene"?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭roll

sunday times had an interesting review today-pretty close to what i thought i would think of this album..... i fell pretty quickly tho! can't believe nobody mentioned 'pink rabbits' before.... maybe its a bit obvious but its my first favourite song!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, "Pink Rabbits" is excellent. Easily my favourite track on the album.

sorry nervous twich only read your comment now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Still not out until tomorrow in the US. Grrr. But at least its given em time to read reviews...

is it me or does 'hard to find' suggest spiritualized?! i'm not complaining, believe me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've been listening to this album non stop since buying it on friday and it's a complete grower. I genuinely just love this album.

The National are pretty much my favourite band around. They first came to my attention since i first read the album review for Alligator in Uncut magazine in 2005. I'd never heard of them before this, but from that review i went out and bought the album and just completely fell in love with the band. By the time Boxer came out, it was game over.

High Violet has some brilliant moments, but this for me has so much more to it. It's just a really consistant National album.

The first song i'd heard off it was Demons and i have to say, i took to it straight away. After a couple of listens, i was already walking down the road singing in my head "well i'll stay down, with my demons".

There's a few similarities with a couple of songs. Fireproof is basically Racing Like A Pro and Heavenfaced is pure U2 circa 2000.

What i love about this album is that, at first, i had my standout songs. Demons and I Need My Girl (which i'd seen on YouTube before). I loved the first few and last few but thought the middle was weak. But you keep listening and you just discover the album as you go along.

I first saw The National in Whelans in 2005. I've seen them in the Olympia and will soon see them in the 02.

I genuinely think we're only a couple of albums away from seeing then at Lansdowne Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

I'm not sure yet if I like this album as much as High Violet but it does seem to get better with each listen. I'm definitely looking forward to the O2 gig in November.

Frustrated. Not sure what to make of it. Sounds pretty much like a continuation of the last album. So why shell out money for something that sounds like the last album? I'd prefer something that sounds fresh :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Frustrated. Not sure what to make of it. Sounds pretty much like a continuation of the last album. So why shell out money for something that sounds like the last album? I'd prefer something that sounds fresh :/

Really? Have heard little to no-one say that it sounds like High Violet. I personally think it's got a longer lasting quality that High Violet didn't have. I still love songs from it, but I love TWFM as a whole, I don't skip a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Alligator is still my favourite - it just does everything imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

After a week of listening to it every day I'm sold, it's truly a fantastic record. Some of the songs are just magic - "I Should Live In Salt", "Sea Of Love", "I Need My Girl" and "Demons" (which I hated on first listen) are my personal favs.

It's a 9 out of 10 record for me, loses that mark because I still think they could/should have let loose on one song towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Great album.

The only songs that I haven't taken to yet are Fireproof and Hard To Find.
    Besides that the rest of the album is brilliant.

They're the best band around at the minute in my opinion.

Great album.

The only songs that I haven't taken to yet are Fireproof and Hard To Find.
    Besides that the rest of the album is brilliant.

They're the best band around at the minute in my opinion.

Ya for me 'Hard to Find' is the only song I haven't taken to yet. It's a good song but it doesn't do that much for me compared to what came before. As Xavi said, another rockier song on the record would have been welcome.

Great album though.

I'd say Sea Of Love is going to be brilliant to hear live.

Oh god.

I'm conflicted.

I think its great. I'd give it 8 out of 10.

I can listen to all the songs but only about three at a time. The problem is that I get that he's obviously had a bad experience in a relationship and a horrendous breakup.

But holy jesus almost every single song is a sad whining self indulgent moan session. Its like listening to a sad drunk tell you why all his failed relationships are really his fault. Worse its like being forced to read a teenage boys first breakup poems. Every...single...song... Okay...i get it. Move on. Its not that I dont appreciate the art that can come from emotional pain. Its just that some people when they're whiny and clingly can be really annoying and it comes across like that. For me.

But thats if you listen to the words... let it just run in the background and the music is excellent though. I really do like it. Its slower than HV but musically I think its so much more complex, I really love it.

I just also understand completely why she broke up with him.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Oh god.

I'm conflicted.

I think its great. I'd give it 8 out of 10.

I can listen to all the songs but only about three at a time. The problem is that I get that he's obviously had a bad experience in a relationship and a horrendous breakup.

But holy jesus almost every single song is a sad whining self indulgent moan session. Its like listening to a sad drunk tell you why all his failed relationships are really his fault. Worse its like being forced to read a teenage boys first breakup poems. Every...single...song... Okay...i get it. Move on. Its not that I dont appreciate the art that can come from emotional pain. Its just that some people when they're whiny and clingly can be really annoying and it comes across like that. For me.

But thats if you listen to the words... let it just run in the background and the music is excellent though. I really do like it. Its slower than HV but musically I think its so much more complex, I really love it.

I just also understand completely why she broke up with him.

Have you listened to The National ever before? :pac:

Have you listened to The National ever before? :pac:

Yup... I have High Violet and Boxer.

And yes... I guess they're pretty dire and dark. But I dont think in the same way as this one.

First I listened to "Humiliation", then "I need my girl" and then "Slipped"...

And then I snapped. I felt like calling the suicide alert line. At least on High Violet the depression wasnt quite so personal as on this, you do feel for the guy.

:o

• Advertisement

And yes... I guess they're pretty dire and dark. But I dont think in the same way as this one.

And then I snapped. I felt like calling the suicide alert line. At least on High Violet the depression wasnt quite so personal as on this, you do feel for the guy.

It's a depressive album but it's certainly not Joy Division Closer level depressive, I wouldn't be calling the suicide alert line or anything. I really enjoy albums like this where the songwriter bares his soul but at the same time you feel a glimmer of hope. Then again I love downbeat music and this is one of the main reasons I already prefer this album to High Violet. But I've heard far more depressing albums than this.

I wouldn't worry too much. Matt has always said he doesn't write about himself in songs, just interesting things he likes to write about. Think he once compared it to a romance novelist who writes romantic books but doesn't lead the most romantic life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭crybaby

Still haven't listened to The National at all for some reason apart from one or two tracks, is this album a good one to get started?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Considering that Matt himself is married, assuming he is happily married, I wouldn't get too depressed about it :P

I wouldn't worry too much. Matt has always said he doesn't write about himself in songs, just interesting things he likes to write about. Think he once compared it to a romance novelist who writes romantic books but doesn't lead the most romantic life.

That makes a huge difference actually.

As I said I really like the album, so I'll treat it a little more lightly!

:pac:

crybaby wrote: »
    Still haven't listened to The National at all for some reason apart from one or two tracks, is this album a good one to get started?

Start with Alligator and then move onto Boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Only managed to give this a whirl now.. won't get through a full album listen tonight, but will make a start on it now... heard Demons already and like Xavi didn't like it a first, real grower, but so good when you come round to it.

Also heard Don't Swallow the Cap, lovely song.

From what I've heard so far, which is first three songs, I'm really liking it, different sound to High Violet defintely.

Are many going to O2 gig in November?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Finding it hard to love this album. I think it suffers from being a bit too homogenous.

Standouts for me are Don't Swallow the Cap, Heavenfaced and my favourite, This is the Last Time, which is absolutely sublime and The National at their best.

Losing hope that the rest of the album can grow on me...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I though High Violet was their worst album. There I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

lordgoat wrote: »
    I though High Violet was their worst album. There I said it.

By some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Yeah, personally I think its better than what I was expecting, much better than High Violet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement