Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

seachto7 wrote: »
    Looks like they have done a Mumford on it. Find a formula and stick to it.... :/
    With The National I've always found that they've been striving to perfect a formula rather than experiment with loads of different styles, which works well for them. If you take each album from their debut right up to High Violet they sounded like they are refining and perfecting their sound from album to album. Whether their new album will continue that trend I don't know but we'll have to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Really can't wait for this

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

This looks great ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They performed 2 songs on Jimmy Fallon last night, 'Sea of Love' and 'I Need My Girl'

http://pitchfork.com/news/50478-watch-the-national-perform-two-new-songs-on-fallon/

The louder little bits they've added to 'I Need My Girl' since they first debuted it are interesting, I really like the drums they've added, but not sure about that guitar 'crunch' sound they put in about half way through.

'Sea of Love' sounds good though, fair bit heavier than anything else released. It's the type of song that could sound fair bit different on record than live.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Feckin' love it! Jeesh, such a great band and everything from the uniqueness of the of the drums, the sublime melodies, the lyrics, and baritone voice. Works so well, there's very few of their songs that I don't love and more that I do than other band. Looking forward to seeing them live, missed them previously and more excited about the new album than I've been for any other release for ages. Bring. It. The difference in 'I need my girl', is so very good, I liked the earlier live and quieter versions but this thumps and seems more refined for certain and more mature in delivery. Very polished and I like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Really like Demons, Don't Swallow The Cap is a bit meh for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

From the little I've heard I'm very much looking forward to the album. Seems more of the same, and a continuation of Boxer/High Violet, which for me is only good. Only thing I have to do is get my hands on some tickets for the Cork gig; I cannot stand The O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not bad but not great either, can see the ending being good live.

New album has dropped in cyberspace. Haven't got around to giving it a proper listen yet but had it on in the background doing other stuff earlier and I don't think it will disappoint.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Downloaded the album last night, was listening to some of it on the way to college this morning.
    On first listen I am liking it a lot.

It's so good. Matt's voice sounds better than ever. I wasn't the biggest fan of the last album. I'd a real feeling of disconnect with High Violet after a while. Alligator especially you can feel the genuine emotion, toil and life experience in the lyrics of the songs. They are a struggling band trying to make it with lots of things to say about life, love etc and that comes across in the music.

High Violet felt more contrived, worked on and less sincere. It's still a great record but for me it felt contrived playing to a certain audience with far too much polish. I'm not sure if that makes any sense as I know others loved High Violet but for me at least this feels like a real return to why I fell in love with this band.

I'll be wrapped up in this album for hours on end.

Opr

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Anyone work out which track Sufjan is on, or for that matter St. Vincent or the guy from Arcade Fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Jesus, 'I need my girl' is absolutely fantastic.

I've listened to the live version loads but was still blown away hearing it recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Downloaded the album last night, was listening to some of it on the way to college this morning.
    On first listen I am liking it a lot.

For free? I still cannot understand how people don't see the problem with this. How much do you think it cost them to record, mix and master the album?

Why should they even bother? What would people say if they decided half ways through recording "f*ck it, this is costing too much, and people will steal it once it's recorded, let's not bother making music anymore, and just go back to our day jobs".

People would be pi55ing and moaning then. I'm pi55ing against the wind with this rant, but there you go...........

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I actually have the vinyl album on pre-order seachto7, so I don't see myself stealing the album.

For free? I still cannot understand how people don't see the problem with this. How much do you think it cost them to record, mix and master the album?

Why should they even bother? What would people say if they decided half ways through recording "f*ck it, this is costing too much, and people will steal it once it's recorded, let's not bother making music anymore, and just go back to our day jobs".

People would be pi55ing and moaning then. I'm pi55ing against the wind with this rant, but there you go...........
    If a person downloaded it and really liked it then they might buy the album when it does come out. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the CD myself. If they didn't like it and felt that the artist didn't deserve their money then they can simply delete it. You wouldn't buy a can of paint without trying a tester pot first.

Well if it wasn't for downloading I'd have never given Boxer a chance in the first place, can't afford to be buying every cd when you've a broad taste in music.

They've also benefitted from that downloading by getting new fans like myself who now fork out for their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I hadn't listened to them before when I downloaded boxer. After a few days I bought that album and alligator, now I own all their albums and have this preordered. I've also been to see them live and have tickets for their O2 gig.

These days I have spotify so I can sample music legally however most decent musicians don't play music because they get a pay check, they play because it's their passion. If they're any good they will find an audience willing to support them financially and the free sharing of music will help them find that audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭mosstin

You should write a strongly worded letter to The Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Pink Rabbit sounds beautiful. Very impressed so far; need some settling in time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

As stated the more people who download, the more fans the band will have. A lot of downloading sites use this as a way to promote new bands.

Also true fans can, and will pay for an album if they feel the artist deserves to recoup the money spent on the recording process.

I download most of my albums because there's so many I want to hear and simply don't have the money to buy them all just for the sake of sampling, but if I really enjoy an album I will get myself a physical copy.

Okay enough discussion on downloading folks, let's keep it about the album please.

(Just pretend you streamed it)

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You wouldn't buy a can of paint without trying a tester pot first.

Would you work for free for a few months while your employer sussed you out to see if you were good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm a bit disappointed so far - swallow the cap is great though. Sounds like a few tracks could have been left off to give a much tighter 10/11 track record imo.

I really think it's a great record, it's a fine, fine return. I love what they have done with 'I Need My Girl', sounds fantastically beautiful. 'Heavenfaced' has really grown on me too.

My only small grip is that the album has a sort of mellow tone running throughout it, I think maybe it needed 1 or 2 songs that were a bit more 'drummy' if anyones knows what I mean. Something like 'Secret Meeting' or 'Conversation 16'.

But otherwise I'm enjoying listening to it more and more with every listen.

From what I have heard "legally", it's much in the same vein as what cam before. I dunno, I'd listen to what I have rather than "the same again", if that makes sense....?

From what I have heard "legally", it's much in the same vein as what cam before. I dunno, I'd listen to what I have rather than "the same again", if that makes sense....?

It doesn't. The album definitely stands on it's own.

A review I read sums it up very good I think...

"It's a great National album, and that's all I'll ever ask for"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Streaming now on itunes........

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    I really think it's a great record, it's a fine, fine return. I love what they have done with 'I Need My Girl', sounds fantastically beautiful. 'Heavenfaced' has really grown on me too.

My only small grip is that the album has a sort of mellow tone running throughout it, I think maybe it needed 1 or 2 songs that were a bit more 'drummy' if anyones knows what I mean. Something like 'Secret Meeting' or 'Conversation 16'.

But otherwise I'm enjoying listening to it more and more with every listen.

Agree totally, it's missing a Mr. November or two for me. After a few listens it's a very good record, just a little dour the whole way through.

I'm sure the songs will sound a bit livelier in the flesh though.

Advertisement