Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

ando wrote: »
    Hmm, ok

First of all, Go away. I've been around here long enough to know what you're doing.

Second, YOu may want to run your words thwough sp3ll cheek beef0r3 post1ng

Instead of spluttering out negative comments and getting the attention you want, explain to me how I was to overtake the car infront??? What’s the procedure in that scenario?? Please, go on.. I'm waiting for the Jag to pass the white van and go into the driving lane, while keeping a safe distance behind. I'm in the overtaking lane because I intend to overtake?? I'm making the jag aware that I want to overtake while not being up their ar$e. How do you make your intention known that you want to overtake, what would you do differently? Do you get up their arse? The way you're complaining I presume you do. Oh, I see, you're one of "those" drivers we all love.

Less of the smart remarks.
    your right my spelling is as ****e as your driving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

johnnydeep wrote: »
    your right my spelling is as ****e as your driving

Good come back

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

johnnydeep has been parked for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

johnnydeep cannot respond to you.

Let's move past this now and get back to dash cam stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

Solair wrote: »
    The poster also appears to have cut across 2 lanes on the roundabout for no apparent reason.

The Micra was driving entirely normally other than a slight hesitation. Shouldn't be that close to it in the first place.

Are you familiar with that roundabout? both lanes can go straight, see the road markings.

And I was watching for traffic from my right, like I said in my post, I wasn't expecting the Micra to brake test me on a green light - at least he didn't get the insurance pay out .

• Advertisement

Had to do a double take when I spotted this guy on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Two videos I encountered on one of Polish forums. Madness:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

CiniO wrote: »
    Two videos I encountered on one of Polish forums.

Pretty crazy, but all I could think about while watching was Polish roads are way better than Irish roads. :rolleyes:

dutopia wrote: »
    Pretty crazy, but all I could think about while watching was Polish roads are way better than Irish roads. :rolleyes:

Some roads are better, some are not.
    They are definitely wider, but that's not much of an achievement, as it's hard to find any country in Europe with road more narrow than Irish ;)
    Generally motorways and national roads are of very good standard, while local and regional roads often have damaged surface and potholes. Generally very similar like in Ireland.

Here's another one - from yesterday.
    This actually ended up in the news, and I think driver run away - they are looking for him. (or maybe they found him already - I don't know).

BTW - that's residential area signed by this sign, so speed limit of 20km/h applies, and pedestrians have right of way over cars.
    strefa_zamieszkania.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

They are definitely wider, but that's not much of an achievement, as it's hard to find any country in Europe with road more narrow than Irish ;)
    Generally motorways and national roads are of very good standard, while local and regional roads often have damaged surface and potholes. Generally very similar like in Ireland.

This actually ended up in the news, and I think driver run away - they are looking for him. (or maybe they found him already - I don't know).

BTW - that's residential area signed by this sign, so speed limit of 20km/h applies, and pedestrians have right of way over cars.
    strefa_zamieszkania.jpg

He must hate bike's and people that ride them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I got a prestiggio Roadrunner HD1 the other day just to try it out, and the one problem I have is that my cigarette lighter doesn't turn off with the ignition so it just records all the time draining the car's battery.

What's the easiest way around this? Is there any kind of adaptor I can get for the cigarette lighter that might recognise that the battery is slowly depleting and cut off power? Or is it a case of getting the cigarette lighter rewired, or hard-wiring a new port into the glovebox or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

pug_ wrote: »
    I got a prestiggio Roadrunner HD1 the other day just to try it out, and the one problem I have is that my cigarette lighter doesn't turn off with the ignition so it just records all the time draining the car's battery.

What's the easiest way around this? Is there any kind of adaptor I can get for the cigarette lighter that might recognise that the battery is slowly depleting and cut off power? Or is it a case of getting the cigarette lighter rewired, or hard-wiring a new port into the glovebox or something like that?
    I've the same problem on the Passat. Maybe using a relay on the cigarette lighter is the solution?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Parts of Portugal & Crete from my experience compare well with Ireland for narrow roads.

Atleast in Ireland they don't put big hotels with pools down roads that are too narrow for a bus to drive down with nothing else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've the same problem on the Passat. Maybe using a relay on the cigarette lighter is the solution?

Hard wire the unit is the only real solution. Much neater that having cables running everywhere and no worries about it being plugged in / accidentally plugged out. VWs are very easy to find 12V lives in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

johnnydeep wrote: »
    your driving in the overtaking lane despite not overtaking anything and seem to be struggling to stay in that lane had a few bevvies maybe. at least your headlights appear to be working.
    It looks to me he is attempting to overtake the car in front, which is not moving out of the way, hence the nervous guy attempting to undertake etc. The OP moving to the left lane in this instance does nothing apart from put another person behind in the same position as he was just in.
    I know Jonnydeep is banned but I see he got a lot of thanks from other posters for his post, that's who I'm addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Do most cig sockets not power off automatically after 30 minutes or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have one of these for my Blackvue - I'd assume it'd work with anything you plug into it?

http://blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=13

Cabaal wrote: »
    Parts of Portugal & Crete from my experience compare well with Ireland for narrow roads.

Atleast in Ireland they don't put big hotels with pools down roads that are too narrow for a bus to drive down with nothing else on the road.

Maybe there aren't many hotels with pools down the narrow roads in Ireland, but there are still buses on them, which struggle to actually fit on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

can someone recommend a relatively cheap dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bugsntinas wrote: »

No. For the simple reason that cheap is terrible.

You need to spend good money here. Remember, if a dash cam is €200, and it lasts 5 years (i.e. Costs you 10c per day), if someone makes a claim against you and you can prove it incorrect, it could save you €1000's.

Do not buy a cheap dashcam. View it as an investment. Any genuine BlackVue would be my recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Your smart phone. There are apps that do the job adequately, in low res.

don't have a smart phone only a cheap old phone that makes calls and send texts

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I have the same camera and the same problem with my Focus. Bloody power stays on after leaving the car. I tested it overnight and it stayed recording the whole time so doesn't power off automatically. Sometimes I forget to plug the camera in when I'm driving which defeats the whole point of having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Lads, enough of all these negative vibes, lets see the more decent side of life captured by dash cams:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

30 quid delivered! THIS GUY

It turns on and off with car, records in HD, small. Only downside I have found is its not great at night but still works. For 30 quid you can't go wrong. (Buy a "class 6" memory card if you go for it)

cheers for that.going by the reviews it certainly does the job.have you got one yourself?in the event of an accident is it easy enough to download the images?i'll have to convince the wife to get one as she has had a few close calls over the last week or 2 with idiots on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I have one for last 6 months. It has fell off the windscreen and bounced about 10 times now. Still fine. You will need a micro SD card (class 6) and one of THESE to read it the same as any normal camera. My 16gb card records almost 2 hours at 720p. For 30 quid, if it breaks, its no big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

gutteruu wrote: »
    30 quid delivered! THIS GUY

It turns on and off with car, records in HD, small. Only downside I have found is its not great at night but still works. For 30 quid you can't go wrong. (Buy a "class 6" memory card if you go for it)

Do you have sample video in HD?

The recording format is AVI which normally means MJpeg, with high space usage.

My mpeg4 camera can fit 5 hours on a 16GB card at 1080p. Granted it was more than double the price...

Were you caught for customs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

strefa_zamieszkania.jpg

Judging by the length of the shadows, he was dazzled by the low sun.

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Judging by the length of the shadows, he was dazzled by the low sun.

Very possible, but this doesn't justify hitting a cyclist.
    If he couldn't see because he was dazzled, he should have slowed down, especially that it's 20km/h zone while he must have been doing over 40km/h at least IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement