Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not too bad so. Just make sure to train your Apu voice.

And have all my answers written down on a sheet infront of me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sky will be hiring for their Broadband support I would imagine. That's what positions they'll be filling as they roll it out. I got an email about a Sales Team Lead position they're starting to recruit for, so you may be a cold caller, annoying people eating their dinner everywhere! :D-

No shame, man. I delivered junk mail for a while so I'm well use to the responces. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CianRyan wrote: »
    No shame, man. I delivered junk mail for a while so I'm well use to the responces. :D

You're far too clever for that kind of work of delivering junk mail Cian.

I always assumed they didn't have to know how to read.

Despite a huge sign the size of my letterbox on my letterbox they still manage to post their mail.

And they always do it when I'm not there!

MugMugs wrote: »
    You're far too clever for that kind of work of delivering junk mail Cian.

I always assumed they didn't have to know how to read.

Despite a huge sign the size of my letterbox on my letterbox they still manage to post their mail.

And they always do it when I'm not there!

Thanks man but I think taking anything I can get it clever at the minute. :o

In future give CityPost a call if you're still getting junk mail, chances are it's some one working for them. Some of the lads need a wake up slap tbh.

Or the other trick of throw three in per house. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ooops

229640_10151435511352568_479593142_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the-city-of-new-york-vs-homer-simpson-9x01-10351.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Screen-Shot-2013-04-29-at-18.02.56.png

Lol... its a taxi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Darwin award.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Reading aload of threads here about motor tax. Just saw this on the news there. Don't think it's from the achieves because its about the murder of the cash for clothes guy. The bike is at the location of the shooting today. Lol of its real.

http://i.imgur.com/hHwgwRh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I didn't think they needed to display the disc or pay motor tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I didn't think they needed to display the disc or pay motor tax

i think its free and just to keep track of vehicles more or less

lets face it, whos going to stop him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i think its free and just to keep track of vehicles more or less

lets face it, whos going to stop him ?

simples...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWWCGZ6L6_qNmhE-c_uJGEtzHt9P5WJwVsE8XJMwhxMJDiKyrMSw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

rocky wrote: »
    Edit: for pred:

See that button on the SW S-M-D? put it in S ;)

Thanks for that mate, now its a slightly faster whale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Sorry to hear about Pinky golly. I really hope the two of you see better days soon.

I got a pay rise today so hopefully will be replacing the Passat towards the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bump, quick answer needed. I need a tie rod end for the drivers side. Listed as front-right and front-left. I need front right, or have I confused myself?

BX 19 wrote: »
    Bump, quick answer needed. I need a tie rod end for the drivers side. Listed as front-right and front-left. I need front right, or have I confused myself?

Presuming the car is RHD, and you need the drivers side then front-right sounds right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Whenever you're talking about car parts, each part is mentioned in relation to when you are sitting in the car, facing forwards.

Whenever you're talking about car parts, each part is mentioned in relation to when you are sitting in the car, facing forwards.

Yep, I was thinking that but then someone said to me "is it not facing the car" and I couldn't trust my own idea then haha

Right one in the end :D

Any tips on removing stubborn hub nuts?

I've doused them with WD-40 for the past 24hrs, bet them with a shocker (dunno what the proper name is, its a device with a end for a hammer and a 1/2 drive at the other end and a big spring in the middle), took a breaker bar to it and sheared my only 1/2" short extension bar in two. Don't want to take heat to it in case I damage good seals.

I may go get a 3/4" breaker somewhere. Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Impact driver ;)

Impact driver ;)

Aye, that would require a compressor and an impact wrench. I'm a student, can't yet afford one of those :P

Aye, that would require a compressor and an impact wrench. I'm a student, can't yet afford one of those :P

No, the thing that has one end to hit with a hammer and a screwdriver bit at the other end is an impact driver, not a shocker.

Are you talking about removing the bolts that hold the wheels on? If so, pick up a torque wrench if you see it in Aldi or Lidl. They give excellent leverage and then you have the option to torque all the nuts to exact factory spec :D

No, the thing that has one end to hit with a hammer and a screwdriver bit at the other end is an impact driver, not a shocker.

Are you talking about removing the bolts that hold the wheels on? If so, pick up a torque wrench if you see it in Aldi or Lidl. They give excellent leverage and then you have the option to torque all the nuts to exact factory spec :D

Nope the ones that hold the hub, the big size 30mm one in the middle :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope the ones that hold the hub, the big size 30mm one in the middle :p

They usually have 1-2 spots on the nut that are bent inwards (once it's secure) to prevent the nut from unscrewing... I'm assuming you've bent these outwards before going at it? :D

rear%20stub%20axle%20nut.JPG

Apart from that, get a really long bar and use the law of the lever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Borrow a big breaker bar brom a boardsie

They usually have 1-2 spots on the nut that are bent inwards (once it's secure) to prevent the nut from unscrewing... I'm assuming you've bent these outwards before going at it? :D

rear%20stub%20axle%20nut.JPG

Apart from that, get a really long bar and use the law of the lever!

Naa mine have cotter pins, they're out. Got them out with a 30" breaker bar. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

@Bx I have a 3/4 inch drive socket set if that's any use. Where in the country are you?

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    @Bx I have a 3/4 inch drive socket set if that's any use. Where in the country are you?

Your grand, dropped up to a garage whom I known at and they happily lended me a 3/4" breaker. Popped right off with practically no effort :D

Just ordered a Haynes manual for the Bangernomics Clio (Which I now have about 13 months) at a bangernomics price, 6.50. Can't go wrong at that price...

• Advertisement

Any tips on removing stubborn hub nuts?

I've doused them with WD-40 for the past 24hrs, bet them with a shocker (dunno what the proper name is, its a device with a end for a hammer and a 1/2 drive at the other end and a big spring in the middle), took a breaker bar to it and sheared my only 1/2" short extension bar in two. Don't want to take heat to it in case I damage good seals.

I may go get a 3/4" breaker somewhere. Any other ideas?

Plusgas

Failing that lots of heat and a breaker bar

Words of a broke student too :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Plusgas

Failing that lots of heat and a breaker bar

Words of a broke student too :pac:

I've yet to see this plusgas stuff, apparently it's great. Breaker bar got it off in the end. But not before I broke the short extension bar. Thought it was the nut turning, but it was the shearing of the extension bar.

1kTfMPFl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Just ordered a Haynes manual for the Bangernomics Clio (Which I now have about 13 months) at a bangernomics price, 6.50. Can't go wrong at that price...

Where did you get it for that price I thought them Haynes manuals were 20-30 euro or does it depend on the car?

Bpmull wrote: »
    Where did you get it for that price I thought them Haynes manuals were 20-30 euro or does it depend on the car?

Amazon, used in V.good condition. 6.50 including delivery. There was loads round that price.

Does anyone know an insurance company who would mirror my NCBs?

Could do with a second cheap snotter for the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Insurance renewal arrived:

€436 Fully Comp extra (€485 with NCB Protection) on the MR2...sweet :cool:

Does anyone know an insurance company who would mirror my NCBs?

Could do with a second cheap snotter for the summer

Setanta IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stupid Credit Union messing me about:( I won't go into the details but I have now been waiting almost 4 weeks for loan approval and they told me now they are not allowed give more than 10,000 over shares because of central bank putting a cap on loans....so I have to keep ringing everyday.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Setanta IIRC.

Cheers for that. Thinking of getting a heap for a couple of hundred to do for a few weeks over the summer. I'll know more in a few weeks

• Advertisement

Was browsing ebay this evening (new to the whole ebay thing).
    So I looked up focus service kits for my car.
    Now I bought my service kit in bits and pieces but ill give you a rough breakdown of what i paid in ford garage same price as other ford garages I rang around.
    Oil filter 12 euro
    Air filter 20 euro
    Fuel filter 90 euro ( didnt have much choice but to pay it the time I brokedown)

So ebay full service kit delivered fram oil + air filter( physically the same different brand), sump nut washer, ufi fuel filter identical to mine steel one ford use the ufi brand, all in delivered 32 euro. That unbelievable they say the parts are of the same or better quality and there is no warranty void(no warranty left anyway). Only thing that concerns me is the fram brand has anyone heard of it? I must be missing something surly its too good to be true?

Fram are a grand make, used them before. No problems.

Internet for service parts is the only way to go. Where else would I get an air filter for 3.95?

Fram are fantastic, years of tradition! Fram filters for me 406 if I don't get Mahle, no bother with them

And that's me out of order from this point on..... :p

Out of order?
    Study time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Some people should not be allowed sell cars....:mad:

Poxy timewasters....

166man wrote: »
    Some people should not be allowed sell cars....:mad:

Poxy timewasters....
    Why?

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Out of order?
    Study time?

In in Inch with college folk, celebrating end of 3rd year :p

Come hither if you're around! :D

At least I know where ill be going to get my parts next them. Car Is due an oil filter in the next few thousand km so ill just buy the whole kit to have it. It's great because I closely examined the filter pictures and there defintly the right ones. Delighted with that some saving I knew the dealer was a bit expensive but not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Why?

Arranged to go look at a car tomorrow and was very excited about it and got a text there about 9.30pm to say he had to postpone it for 7 days as he thought he had to sell his other car instead..

Could all be baloney of course but even still. I want that car and none of you are going to know what it is...;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

166man wrote: »
    Arranged to go look at a car tomorrow and was very excited about it and got a text there about 9.30pm to say he had to postpone it for 7 days as he thought he had to sell his other car instead..

Could all be baloney of course but even still. I want that car and none of you are going to know what it is...;):D

Avensis? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rover 75?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement