Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensory deprivation tank

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried one of these?
    It seems like an interesting experience. There's loads of videos on youtube of people talking about what they've experienced while using one.

There's a place in Dublin city centre that has these tanks and I was thinking about giving it a go for the craic.
    From what I've read, you kind of have an out of body experience where you see everything clearly and your consciousness opens up and you become really relaxed.

So what do you think? Is it something you'd try or do you think its just some money making hippy crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've done it twice.

I didn't come out knowing the secrets of life, but I felt like I'd slept for about ten hours in the space of 45 minutes. I felt a lot of peace, but it didn't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Giselle wrote: »
    I've done it twice.

I didn't come out knowing the secrets of life, but I felt like I'd slept for about ten hours in the space of 45 minutes. I felt a lot of peace, but it didn't last.

Would you recommend it or is it a waste of time and money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dean09 wrote: »
    Would you recommend it or is it a waste of time and money?

I think its probably different for everyone, but I wouldn't go again.

I got two sessions as a gift or it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it. If you're curious, and open minded to it, you'll probably get more out of it than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I have done it twice too.

The first time i ruuined the experience by getting the water into my eyes and irritating me.

Unlike the other poster i didnt come out feeling refreshed i just felt very bored inside.
    Once the feeling of floating was done with I found the experience a little boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Two bottles of wine gives me all the sensory deprivation I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Basically what you're doing is you're paying someone so you can daydream. The purpose is to remove all external stimuli so you don't get distracted and your mind is free to wander and think about mad stuff.

I imagine lots of people simply drop off to sleep.

The reality is it's no different to finding a very quiet place in your house, closing your eyes and meditating for a while. Except that you're wet and floating.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've a few people locked up in my attic. I'll ask them later how it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Op, do you have a bath in your house? This evening after sunset, fill it up, turn off the lights and get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Joe Rogan is a bit of a nut anyway. I know I would be thinking about letting go and probably wouldn't achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

Deprivation tank - has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing, taken my arms , taken my legs, taken my soul, 45 mins of hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Op, do you have a bath in your house? This evening after sunset, fill it up, turn off the lights and get in...

Is this the start of something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

How am i supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colours distracting me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwash-Secret-History-Mind-Control/dp/031232572X

This is a really interesting book on stuff related to the op. Sensory deprivation etc...have a read OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Featured in the film Altered States with William Hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sounds like jiberish - Scam if you ask me just like Chiropractise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

"I told the witchdoctor I was in love with you"
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sensory deprivation tank? Isn't that like watching Eastenders or Fair City? Parts of your brain stop functioning and you just 'switch off', drifting into a coma-like stupor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Sensory deprivation tank? Isn't that like watching Eastenders or Fair City? Parts of your brain stop functioning and you just 'switch off', drifting into a coma-like stupor.

but the part of it which decides to throw the tv out the window comes out to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

depends if you drop acid before you go in or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

that video pretty much relaxed me enough anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Will I find walternet if I go in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Joe Rogan is a bit of a nut anyway. I know I would be thinking about letting go and probably wouldn't achieve it.

Joe Rogan is a very smart and interesting guy. He is very open minded and therefore gives credence to ideas which many would consider nutty, rightly or wrongly.

He has a sensory deprivation tank in his house, and he uses it frequently. As he says in the video it takes time to get used to it in order to really benefit from it. I dont know how much you can expect to get from a single, or even a few visits, but it certainly sounds like it could be useful if utilised to its full potential. The removal of sensory stimuli facilitates meditation, and meditation in itself can be very beneficial, instead of charging through life without reflecting on yourself as well as your environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Not that I'd be his biggest fan but Dan Brown writes in one of his books in which the main character is put in one, he likens to experience to dying...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

blaze1 wrote: »
    Will I find walternet if I go in?

lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kecono

Hey El Guapo,

Heres a short documentary of the uses of sensory deprivation tanks that i found very, very interesting.

http://youtu.be/yCYglCDgpu0

Whereabouts is this place in Dublin with sensory deprivation tanks. Im interested in trying them myself.

Peace

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One to keep an eye on for now methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Kecono wrote: »

Whereabouts is ...

http://harvestmoon.ie/

Literally 2 in Ireland afaik. Booked months in advance too...afaik. Havent heard anything of them in years, but I imagine the concept will continue to become more and more popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Can you pee in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Do not fall for it..

or not into it, at least :eek: is just a posh name for the slurry tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I through on some jethro tull in my bath, kick back with a few beers in a cooler and chill the fu*k out.

Happy days pal!

Plus my skin is bloody great too

Advertisement