Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2015 Schedule Announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I remember watching the draw live and being more concerned where NZ ended up than where we did, and then being annoyed when it looked like we'd have to meet them in the Qtrs, however to hopefully be playing France for top-spot, at the 5th Province home ground in Cardiff, with Joe Schmidt in charge.......

More than 2 years away and its already mouth watering :D

Yeah, the group is winner takes all really. If we lose, it's NZ and lights out, if we win, it's Argentina and game on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Unbelievable! If you guys roll France it's NZ v France in a 1/4 final at the Millenium. Ghosts of 2007 and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, the group is winner takes all really. If we lose, it's NZ and lights out, if we win, it's Argentina and game on!

..aaand I was just about to say what Swiwi said, if we win the pool it's France-NZ in Cardiff. France sneak it again somehow, we beat Argentina and with everyone still reeling from NZ's exit we stroll home as world champs... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tox56 wrote: »
    ..aaand I was just about to say what Swiwi said, if we win the pool it's France-NZ in Cardiff. France sneak it again somehow, we beat Argentina and with everyone still reeling from NZ's exit we stroll home as world champs... :)

Carlsberg don't do dreams, but if they did...

:pac:

Tox56 wrote: »

I'd be almost (but not quite) as fearful of facing you guys as France. I love the way there are now 10 or so decent teams in world rugby so there are no gimme quarter finals. Only team I really wouldn't want to face is England at Twickenham although we have beaten them there in RWC on more than 1 occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just realized how tricky our group could be. One slip up and we have NZ in the quarters! :(

We got the dream draw to be honest. Our two relatively easiest fixtures up front to ease into the competition. Game with Italy then to ensure qualification. And then finally, all going well, a play off without huge pressure to get a winnable QF. Each game should present an ever ascending test, which is the ideal scenario for tournament.

First loss against Italy, second chance against France. First loss against France, second chance against New Zealand.

Should have huge support too.

It's a brilliant draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Swiwi wrote: »
    I'd be almost (but not quite) as fearful of facing you guys as France. I love the way there are now 10 or so decent teams in world rugby so there are no gimme quarter finals. Only team I really wouldn't want to face is England at Twickenham although we have beaten them there in RWC on more than 1 occasion.

Meh, until we actually manage to beat ye I don't think you have anything whatsoever to fear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We got the dream draw to be honest. Our two relatively easiest fixtures up front to ease into the competition. Game with Italy then to ensure qualification. And then finally, all going well, a play off without huge pressure to get a winnable QF. Each game should present an ever ascending test, which is the ideal scenario for tournament.

First loss against Italy, second chance against France. First loss against France, second chance against New Zealand.

It's a brilliant draw.

Eh.. I wouldn't exactly call that ideal! I know what you're getting at but I'd take any other team in the QF, whether that be Australia or South Africa, and I'd fancy our chances against them. I'm not saying it's impossible to beat the AB's but we actually have a decent win record against the rest, whereas against New Zealand...

For the neutral, Pool 1 is mouthwatering. Imagine if England were knocked out in pool play. Or Aussie for that matter.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It's a brilliant draw.

2007 would beg to differ to be honest. We had the exact same dream scenario and look how that panned out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Just realized how tricky our group could be. One slip up and we have NZ in the quarters! :(

Exactly ! that's what you want :D if there is a time to play them it's exactly the best one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Anything less than a semi-final and it's another failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its nice to see it on the horizon, glad for Sandy Park too, great little ground but its a pity more of the traditional rugby grounds arent on the schedule like Welford Road and the Gardens, I mean Elland Road and St James Park are hardly hotbeds

On a related point, the RFU have gone with a very high standard of stadium overall, bar Brighton and Exeter - could that set a bar too high for the Irish GAA stadium bid in following years??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Rightwing wrote: »
    Anything less than a semi-final and it's another failure.

Yeah, because we're a top 4 powerhouse of international rugby.

Fizman wrote: »
    Yeah, because we're a top 4 powerhouse of international rugby.

Well Kidney was considered a failure for not getting us there, so same should apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Well Kidney was considered a failure for not getting us there, so same should apply.

Meh, losing the quarter final wouldn't have sealed Kindey's fate. It's the other horrendous results and performances in other competitions that did that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kidney was considered a failure for dropping us out of the Top 4 in the northern hemisphere.

Kidney was considered as having a decent job in the RWC, average nothing exceptional.

Kidney was considered a failure for dropping us out of the Top 4 in the northern hemisphere.

Kidney was considered as having a decent job in the RWC, average nothing exceptional.

Oh I don't know about that. That q/f loss to Wales was the beginning of the end for Kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Oh I don't know about that. That q/f loss to Wales was the beginning of the end for Kidney.

It was an awful game plan, and some awful selection decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If we hadn't been so utterly poor in defeat it wouldn't have been. Not like we played to our potential and were hammered by a much better team. We just went about things incompetently.

It wasn't the beginning of the end either. There was pressure on him before the world cup. Just look at the reaction to his contract renewal :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This thread isn't about Kidney's reign as coach so please leave it there

I won't deny that a lot of people turned against Kidney. That was imo more about their feelings about his selections Murray who at the time was making his first start against a top 10 ranked side and O'Gara ahead of the halfback partnership that won the australia game and his tactics which seemed to be poor as well rather than the fact that we weren't WC semi-finalists.

EDIT sorry posted before I saw warning

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Any idea of when tickets will be released? Are we talking a year or two, or will it be sooner? Not that I think getting tickets for Ireland v the Qualifiers at the Millennium or Wembley will be hard, but Ireland v Italy at the Olympic Stadium could be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

From a fans perspective I am delighted we're playing France in Cardiff - great matchday city and stadium.

But, from a ticket selling point of view I find our stadia a little mixed up.
    Surely the France match would sell out there in Wembley, put our Italy fixture in Cardiff and our EuroQualifier match in the Olympic Stadium (which, if hadn't been mentioned before is set to be 54,000, not 80,000)

From a fans perspective I am delighted we're playing France in Cardiff - great matchday city and stadium.

Surely the France match would sell out there in Wembley, put our Italy fixture in Cardiff and our EuroQualifier match in the Olympic Stadium (which, if hadn't been mentioned before is set to be 54,000, not 80,000)

I agree, all our matches will be sell outs so we should be in the biggest stadia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You are assuming availability of all stadia at all times.
    Wembley doesn't get used at all after Day 9 of the competition, so I'm guessing its being used for something else.

I'd imagine that England have a football international or two set for September or October which might explain Wembely's scheduling.

Add in a few premiership and championship matches in the football too.

What's going to happen with the AP and P12 when the Wold Cup is on?

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that England have a football international or two set for September or October which might explain Wembely's scheduling.

Add in a few premiership and championship matches in the football too.

What's going to happen with the AP and P12 when the Wold Cup is on?

I'm pretty sure that the AP can't play until the RWC is over but the P12 shouldn't be effected although I can imagine less games being televised during the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

You are assuming availability of all stadia at all times.
    Wembley doesn't get used at all after Day 9 of the competition, so I'm guessing its being used for something else.

There's an NFL game scheduled for Wembley.

Tickets on sale in a year apparently.

• Advertisement

There's an NFL game scheduled for Wembley.

Tickets on sale in a year apparently.

Ah yeah I forgot that the Jacksonville Jaguars are slowly trying to become the London [insert franchise name here]s.

The NFL matches are usually on in Wembely towards the end of October though

Advertisement