Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

got this from the GR booklet :

POLICING POWERS
    The powers of Reserve members will generally be confined, at first instance,
    to the following areas of duty:
    1. under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance
    details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etc;
    2. under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    threatening behaviour, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with the
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and
    3. under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act –
    dealing with the offences of theft and burglary.
    4. Reserve members would also be given the power of arrest under
    the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for
    both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

Am i missing something? I was under the illusion there was a power under sec 8 of the P.O 1994; 'I am demanding you to leave in a peaceful.....etc.

At the moment our main powers are confined to road traffic legislation and criminal law law act legislation which confers powers of arrest on everyone. The commissoner holds in trust all legal powers for GR's and as of yet he has not released other powers to us. We do not have Sec 8 of public order act powers as of yet but they are mooted to be coming to us soon. Irrespective of this, you do not always have to quote the law to gows, you can offer some "advice" to go home or get arrested. You're simply offering some helpful advice, not technically underpinned by law, I've found that its enough for the vast majority to get a taxi, get on a bus and the need for arrest doesnt come into it. Its a similar situation with sec 23 searches. You could quote "I'm searching you under sec 23 of misuse of drugs act etc..." or you can simply ask "would you mind if I give you a quick search or I'm going to give you a quick search". In my experience most of those individuals you're searching are so used to it you have no need to quote relevant legislation to them and politely asking is usually enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

I suppose the GRA will be calling for our abolishment today, again!!!.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The Garda Representative Association, which represents more than 10,00 rank and file gardaí, is also pressing for its members to be spared responsibility for supervising members of the Garda Reserve force while on duty.
    Delegates at the association’s annual conference, which begins in Athlone today, are set to debate the contentious Garda Reserve issue during which the already heavy workload of full time gardaí will be outlined.
    Many association members believe they do not have time to supervise Garda Reserve members and say that responsibility should be left to higher ranks, including sergeants and inspectors.
    They are also fearful that if inexperience reservists get injured while on duty or badly handle a situation with members of the public, full-time gardaí supervising them at the time will be held responsible.

The IrishTimes 16th April 2012

The usual line from the GRA. Every year consitently they take a different approach to take a dig at the Garda Reserve.
    The truth beknown , I have never heard a full time member say anything good about the GRA. In reality if a member get into a situation on the street do you honestly think he or she will be worried who is coming to his rescue as along as its a brother or sister in blue.

They have now gone from the term 'babysitting ' to 'supervising '.

As for 'been fearful' about a reserve been injured on duty. They do not give a damn . They dont care about when one of their sub paying members get injured.

In the next few days you will hear the usual rethoric from the GRA regarding the Reserve. Nothing positive , no willingness to help us , no commitement to change their opinion , no constuctive comments and certainly no acknowledegement of the hard work , the extra ordinary commitement ,the dedication and willingness to put our safety on the line to help protect and serve the state and assist our full time colleagues .

So given we all know what will be said at this conference , remember it is the opinion of the few and not the opinion of a large number of rank and file gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Funny that I think it was the GRA who wanted to ensure reserves were accompanied at all times in the first place.

Maybe this is a good thing - perhaps its a subtle suggestion that reserves should be allowed independant patrol which would free more regular members up for investigations, statements, files, etc.

I'm sure with a slight increase in powers (public order and nationwide standardisation of traffic powers) and a little associated CPD, along with a competancy assessment, independant beat patrol would certainly meet the GRAs needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Raider190 wrote: »
    The Garda Representative Association, which represents more than 10,00 rank and file gardaí, is also pressing for its members to be spared responsibility for supervising members of the Garda Reserve force while on duty.
    Delegates at the association’s annual conference, which begins in Athlone today, are set to debate the contentious Garda Reserve issue during which the already heavy workload of full time gardaí will be outlined.
    Many association members believe they do not have time to supervise Garda Reserve members and say that responsibility should be left to higher ranks, including sergeants and inspectors.
    They are also fearful that if inexperience reservists get injured while on duty or badly handle a situation with members of the public, full-time gardaí supervising them at the time will be held responsible.

The IrishTimes 16th April 2012

The usual line from the GRA. Every year consitently they take a different approach to take a dig at the Garda Reserve.
    The truth beknown , I have never heard a full time member say anything good about the GRA. In reality if a member get into a situation on the street do you honestly think he or she will be worried who is coming to his rescue as along as its a brother or sister in blue.

They have now gone from the term 'babysitting ' to 'supervising '.

As for 'been fearful' about a reserve been injured on duty. They do not give a damn . They dont care about when one of their sub paying members get injured.

In the next few days you will hear the usual rethoric from the GRA regarding the Reserve. Nothing positive , no willingness to help us , no commitement to change their opinion , no constuctive comments and certainly no acknowledegement of the hard work , the extra ordinary commitement ,the dedication and willingness to put our safety on the line to help protect and serve the state and assist our full time colleagues .

So given we all know what will be said at this conference , remember it is the opinion of the few and not the opinion of a large number of rank and file gardai.

How many of their own members have cancelled their sub to the GRA, lots of them as they themselves feel they are a waste of money.

Many GR have done great work since there inception into the ranks since 2006, what about the woman in cork saved from a fire and that was a reserve member that done that, does anyone here the good stories nope, all they get is bad press from the GRA, in this day and age we should all be united and not be pulling against each other, after all we are all wearing the same uniform take the same risks.

I wonder if the Garda Commissioner was to give independent patrolling for the Reserves members and not be under supervision, what would the GRA have to say then, if it was not for the pressure put to bare on the Commissioner by the GRA they probably would not have to be (Molly-Coddled ) or the new word this year is SUPERVISED, the GRA should be trying to get the reserve force integrate better into the ranks and have them utilised to a better extent, like their counterparts across the water.

Ever year is the same so why should this year be any different "bash to bits what is a good concept", and make the Reserve force a joke to their own members who work alongside these people on a regular basis, and put their lives on the line for their colleagues and members of the public.

Lets for one year GRA change the record the needle seems to be stuck

• Advertisement

Have any of these GRA representatives ever spoken to a Garda Reserve or a full time colleague to ascertain what we do on a regular basis. Have they taken any polls over the last six years to obtain a general consensus of what the front line troops think of the reserve, I would say no on both counts.

Have never felt supervised by any of my colleagues , have received advice and been asked for advice in return , have always been treated as a member of the team , have received instructions from my Sgt and Insp.

Are they suggesting that we can only patrol with a Sgt (surely not)

http://www.gra.cc/agenda_2012.shtml

GRA Conference Agenda

20. “Conference demands that Garda rank should not be asked or detailed to supervise Reserve Gardai and that this role and responsibility should be carried out by Sergeant rank”.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

By Aine Fitzgerald
    Published on Monday 16 April 2012 16:55

LIMERICK’S most senior garda has said that without the support of the garda reserve team, the force in the city would be under “serious pressure”.
    And Chief Superintendent David Sheahan said he also expects further cuts to garda resources within the next 12 months.
    “It would be foolhardy to say that I don’t think there will be further cuts down the road. I would say that there will be and I have no doubt that there will probably be rationalisation of resources,” said Chief Supt Sheahan.
    As head of the Limerick Garda Division, Chief Supt Sheahan said that it was his job to ensure that the resources available to him were used as efficiently as possible.
    “Even at this stage when we do rosters, I have to make hard decisions,” he said.
    Speaking at a Joint Policing Committee meeting in County Hall, Chief Supt Sheahan said that garda reserves play a “huge role” in terms of supporting the force.
    “During the course of Rag Week and particularly during events in Thomond Park without the reserve gardai, we just couldn’t function. They play a huge role in support services,” he said.
    “I can honestly say that without those people at those events, we would be under serious pressure not in the sense that we couldn’t do it, but it certainly takes a load of pressure off in terms of overtime,” he added.

trail man wrote: »
    By Aine Fitzgerald

LIMERICK’S most senior garda has said that without the support of the garda reserve team, the force in the city would be under “serious pressure”.

This is the general opinion of all senior management within the force. Having been rostered on a large number of events such as Aviva etc , I have always appreciated the kind words that the Sgts, Insps , Supt's and Chief's will openly express for the attendance of the reserves. They have no problem thanking people and their commitement to the GR. They do not see it as a threat or an inconvinience but an asset and if used correctly a valuable resource for the present and the future.

Lets have more of the positive and less of the negative , perhaps those in the GRA who continuley belittle us should come up with constuctive motions on their agenda's to help us and not hinder us. To accept us for what we are , members of An Garda Siochana who contribute to the safety and security of the State and who are prepared to act rather than pay lip service to the concept of public service.

Raider190 wrote: »
    trail man wrote: »
    By Aine Fitzgerald

LIMERICK’S most senior garda has said that without the support of the garda reserve team, the force in the city would be under "serious pressure"

This is the general opinion of all senior management within the force. Having been rostered on a large number of events such as Aviva etc , I have always appreciated the kind words that the Sgts, Insps , Supt's and Chief's will openly express for the attendance of the reserves. They have no problem thanking people and their commitment to the GR. They do not see it as a threat or an inconvenience but an asset and if used correctly a valuable resource for the present and the future.

Lets have more of the positive and less of the negative , perhaps those in the GRA who continuable belittle us should come up with constructive motions on their agenda's to help us and not hinder us. To accept us for what we are , members of An Garda Siochana who contribute to the safety and security of the State and who are prepared to act rather than pay lip service to the concept of public service.

There are plenty of positives out there its just they are put to one side or hidden from view.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Hi. Sorry I am changing topic but I have a question in relation to question 4 on the Reserves application form. How long is the answer supposed to be and can you attach a separate sheet with your answer on it. They leave such a tiny space for it and I don't want to overdo it either. It seems that mine will be a page long front and back but it's all relevant material, based on my skills and qualifications that will be valuable to the Reserves. Also, you are required to send original certificates from Higher Education Departments, I assume you get those back when they have reviewed your application or if/when you have been successful? Thank you in advance for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Hi. Sorry I am changing topic but I have a question in relation to question 4 on the Reserves application form. How long is the answer supposed to be and can you attach a separate sheet with your answer on it. They leave such a tiny space for it and I don't want to overdo it either. It seems that mine will be a page long front and back but it's all relevant material, based on my skills and qualifications that will be valuable to the Reserves. Also, you are required to send original certificates from Higher Education Departments, I assume you get those back when they have reviewed your application or if/when you have been successful? Thank you in advance for your help.

You will get the originals back in time.

Attach a sheet and put everything down. it's better to have to much than to little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

This is a very interesting video clip from You Tube about the Phoenix Police Reserves. We've a LONG LONG way to go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qDeIEks_E

Phoenix Police Reserves have the same training and authority as sworn officers.The only difference is that they're volunteering their time and service.
    It appears the Phoenix Police Reserves have more power than the Full Time Irish Police! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Hi all just wondering if anybody saw this today in the Irish Times not before time I would add.

MEMBERS OF the Garda Reserve are to have their powers increased to deal with public order offences and the seizure of vehicles, Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has told the Dáil.

Training to deal with domestic violence, child-protection and conflict-resolution will begin later this year for members of the Garda Reserve, who will also be issued with Tetra radios on duty.

Reserve gardaí now represent 10 per cent of the force, with 918 on duty and 225 in training and including 60 members from 27 other countries. Recruitment was ongoing because they were volunteers, Mr Shatter said.

Fianna Fáil justice spokesman Dara Calleary said: “It is time we put it up to the Garda Commissioner that this asset must be utilised more.”

The Mayo TD highlighted gaps in policing and Garda strength. He said the reserve was a “massive resource here that is not being utilised to its potential effect”.

More experienced members of the reserve could act as community gardaí and engage with communities on crime prevention, where there were significant gaps.

This was an opportunity, he added, for the Garda Reserve to work in an area “which does not require them to get involved in exposing themselves to the implementation of the law” but to which they could bring their live experience.

“Youth-diversion projects do fantastic work,” Mr Calleary said. The more experienced reserve gardaí, “such as retired people who now have time, could be inserted into the role”. It was a “potentially fantastic resource which was not being sufficiently utilised” and “we must challenge the commissioner so that in the policing plan for 2013, a specific part would be allocated to the targets he is setting for the Garda Reserve”.

Mr Shatter said he envisioned an expansion of areas in which the Garda Reserve could operate, “but it is of vital importance that appropriate training is provided before they engage in new duties”.

He highlighted the nationalities in the Garda Reserve, including Argentina, Poland, Ukraine, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, China, Italy, Cameroon, Morocco, Moldova and Japan.

He believed they could play a significant role in developing links between the Garda and the foreign national communities and said it was important “the Garda Reserve, the Garda Síochána and the Defence Forces reflect the changing face of this country and that smaller communities who are settled in this country are properly represented”.

Mr Shatter said he hoped that when Garda recruitment resumed in a better economic environment, “that there will be representatives of minority communities who are settled in this country who are recruited”. In the meantime it was a “welcome development that we have this multinational engagement in the Garda Reserve”.

Email Us|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Quick question for the long term members of the reserves:

According to this Irish Indo article
    Reservists are paid €1,000 to meet their annual expenses, including travelling to the Garda College once a year to undergo a refresher training course.

Is this true? Never heard of an annual refresher in Templemore before for GRs. If so what does the refresher involve (broadly speaking, not looking for detail, just the general areas) Self defence? legal studies, human rights, aims of the organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

News to me I don't know where these half truths come from.

Quick question for the long term members of the reserves:

According to this Irish Indo article

Is this true? Never heard of an annual refresher in Templemore before for GRs. If so what does the refresher involve (broadly speaking, not looking for detail, just the general areas) Self defence? legal studies, human rights, aims of the organisation?

They are now done thru your station under local CPD course update, asp, cuffs, and spray is covered in the full day course.

your 1000 ex Gratia payment includes your travel and your 208 hrs, anything over the 208 you take on the chin at your own expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

bluetop wrote: »
    They are now done thru your station under local CPD course update, asp, cuffs, and spray is covered in the full day course.

So reserves have an annual refresher on asp, cuffs, spray?

That seems strange if it happens in practice as most full timers Ive talked to have never received a refresher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

So reserves have an annual refresher on asp, cuffs, spray?

That seems strange if it happens in practice as most full timers Ive talked to have never received a refresher.

In fairness though, the full time lads would be using the equipment alot more than the Garda Reserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I'm in 2 years and colleagues in the station Im in are in the reserve 5 years and this is the first that either of us have heard of a referesher course on asp, handcuffs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My OC training was part of a refresher course which had full time members present from my station. All the regular members of my unit took the refresher over a few weeks too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jennifer136

Hi :) I just wanted to inquire a friend of mine applied to the Garda Reserve 2 years ago, he went for his meeting and did the exam, he passed that part. He then met with the super and then his backround checks started, this took nearly a year and he recently received a letter rejecting his application. A family member of his has been in trouble with the Gardai a few times and he thinks this is why the applicatio was rejected, he has been told that he can write a letter appealing this. Has anybody tried this before and had any luck?

What is the process when you appeal the decision does anybody no? He really wants to get in as in the future he hopes to join the Guards and has been doing college courses to better his chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Folks,

Thinking of applying for the GR’s. With regard the application I only have 2 languages in the leaving cert: Irish and English which are both higher level. Can the 2 of these be regarded as 2 languages or is a foreign language required also?

Cheers

Folks,

Thinking of applying for the GR’s. With regard the application I only have 2 languages in the leaving cert: Irish and English which are both higher level. Can the 2 of these be regarded as 2 languages or is a foreign language required also?

Cheers

Hi,

Irish counts for second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Thanks TylerIE for the quick response. Ill send in the application and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 enforcer44

Folks,

Cheers
    Hello
    In regards to languages when I applied English was only required Irish can be a plus if you live in the west. It's does take a year or two to go through the process so if you are patient you will get there. It took me two years I was in the 4th intake when it all started I have to say a very interesting job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Double post, oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone here knew the Gardai's policy in regards to Northern Irish applicants.

I do not hold residency in the Republic, but I do have an Irish passport. Would this make any difference in the application process (If there even is a recruitment drive in the near future)?

Cheers!

This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone here knew the Gardai's policy in regards to Northern Irish applicants.

I do not hold residency in the Republic, but I do have an Irish passport. Would this make any difference in the application process (If there even is a recruitment drive in the near future)?

Cheers!

Yes they do take NI applicants. There's plenty of people from the North in the organisation.

You have to go through the usual security clearance etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

An intresting piece from the GRA website. It's from 2007 but never-the-less!

One in a Hundred

Yvonne Moran
    Irish Daily Mail Saturday, April 7, 2007

One in a hundred Embarrassment as astonishingly low pass rate for controversial Garda Reserve force is revealed

FEWER than one in 100 people who applied to join the controversial Garda Reserve last year were accepted into the part- time force. Just 73 of the 7,358 applicants for Garda Reserve jobs were successful, according to the annual report of the Com- mission for Public Service Appointments.

The low success rate is a slap in the face for Justice Minister Michael McDowell, who has championed the reserve force in the face of vehement opposition from rank and file Gardaí. The Minister had said that there was unanimous agreement in the UK that reservists make the job of full-time police easier. Both the Garda Representative Association and the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors had threatened not to co- operate with the force, whose purpose is to provide support to full-time members and strengthen links between the Gardaí and communities. However, their opposition melted last November after the Government warned them that they would not receive any pay increases due under the National Pay Agreement, Towards 2016, unless they agreed to work with the Reserve. As a result, the AGSI voted unanimously in mid- November to co-operate with the new force, while the GRA followed suit later that month.

Minister McDowell announced in February that Garda superintendents would be involved in recruiting Garda Reserve candidates because the existing recruitment system was too complicated and too slow. He asked Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy to tell superintendents to place advertisements in local papers seeking suitable candidates from the community.

The reservists' training, which began last September, involves a two- day induction course, 56 hours of weekend and evening training and a weekend spent at the Garda College in Templemore or a regional centre. The final part of the training involves a 40-hour probationary period over 10 weeks at a station. The first 37 reservists, who will work a minimum of four hours a week, appeared in Garda stations in Dublin, Cork and Galway last November for training.

However, if recruitment continues at the current rate, it will be seven years before the Minister's target of 1,500 reservists is met - a goal he had intended to be reached no later than this summer. Reservists, who can be aged up to 60, have the powers of arrest for road traffic, public order, and theft and fraud offences.

Applicants who tried for the regular Garda Síochána had a greater chance of succeeding than those who had applied to be reservists. A total 1,120 people were accepted as trainee Gardaí out of 9,100 applications last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

DustyMan wrote: »
    An intresting piece from the GRA website. It's from 2007 but never-the-less!

One in a Hundred

Yvonne Moran
    Irish Daily Mail Saturday, April 7, 2007

One in a hundred Embarrassment as astonishingly low pass rate for controversial Garda Reserve force is revealed

FEWER than one in 100 people who applied to join the controversial Garda Reserve last year were accepted into the part- time force. Just 73 of the 7,358 applicants for Garda Reserve jobs were successful, according to the annual report of the Com- mission for Public Service Appointments.

The low success rate is a slap in the face for Justice Minister Michael McDowell, who has championed the reserve force in the face of vehement opposition from rank and file Gardaí. The Minister had said that there was unanimous agreement in the UK that reservists make the job of full-time police easier. Both the Garda Representative Association and the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors had threatened not to co- operate with the force, whose purpose is to provide support to full-time members and strengthen links between the Gardaí and communities. However, their opposition melted last November after the Government warned them that they would not receive any pay increases due under the National Pay Agreement, Towards 2016, unless they agreed to work with the Reserve. As a result, the AGSI voted unanimously in mid- November to co-operate with the new force, while the GRA followed suit later that month.

Minister McDowell announced in February that Garda superintendents would be involved in recruiting Garda Reserve candidates because the existing recruitment system was too complicated and too slow. He asked Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy to tell superintendents to place advertisements in local papers seeking suitable candidates from the community.

The reservists' training, which began last September, involves a two- day induction course, 56 hours of weekend and evening training and a weekend spent at the Garda College in Templemore or a regional centre. The final part of the training involves a 40-hour probationary period over 10 weeks at a station. The first 37 reservists, who will work a minimum of four hours a week, appeared in Garda stations in Dublin, Cork and Galway last November for training.

However, if recruitment continues at the current rate, it will be seven years before the Minister's target of 1,500 reservists is met - a goal he had intended to be reached no later than this summer. Reservists, who can be aged up to 60, have the powers of arrest for road traffic, public order, and theft and fraud offences.

Applicants who tried for the regular Garda Síochána had a greater chance of succeeding than those who had applied to be reservists. A total 1,120 people were accepted as trainee Gardaí out of 9,100 applications last year.

Didnt the reserves only begin duties in 2006 and this article was from 2007, So 7,358 people applied for the reserves in the first year? seems very high number to me :eek: That really is an unbelievable amount of people wanting to join,

Advertisement