Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling scrap metal after plumbing job

Options
  • 30-03-2013 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭

Got new boiler setup recently and I made sure to keep all the scrap metal... Copper cylinder, old steel pipes, rads, etc

Recommend a place in north dublin that'll give me a good price? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Because of the amount you have and the fact you wont be a regular i would go to the nearest place to you. However bring your driving licence. There is now regulations about ID due. i am not too sure if the industry is working it already.

TBH and just my opinion. i would have left it to the plumber to take away. But each to there own i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

TBH and just my opinion. i would have left it to the plumber to take away. But each to there own i suppose.

Well it's not taking up space and i'm sure there's a few bob in it, so definitely worth keeping

Know anything about O'Reilly Scrap Metal Recycling? http://www.scrap-metal.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

its well worth selling, i did the same recently, cylinder and some pipes and got 200 euro for it. took it to a scrap yard in harolds cross south dublin right by the canal

Finally got around to doing this, the total weight came up as around 3.2 stone (approx 20 kg to the rest of us) for copper and a bit of brass. Got 90 euro for it after hagglin a bit, probably wouldn't have got more than 95 if I'd kept pushing. Reckon that price was reasonable?

I was chuffed with the 90 anyway. That'll go toward some garden plants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

mrcheez wrote: »
    Finally got around to doing this, the total weight came up as around 3.2 stone (approx 20 kg to the rest of us) for copper and a bit of brass. Got 90 euro for it after hagglin a bit, probably wouldn't have got more than 95 if I'd kept pushing. Reckon that price was reasonable?

I was chuffed with the 90 anyway. That'll go toward some garden plants :)

A couple of things here ..... you dont haggle with the scrap yard , if you used them before you would know this , its a fixed price , you wouldnt haggle over a pint of milk in the shop , but the main thing I would say is ..I cant believe you took the scrap from the plumber , I would be shocked if a customer asked me to leave the scrap behind , it would leave a very sour taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

sullzz wrote: »
    I would be shocked if a customer asked me to leave the scrap behind , it would leave a very sour taste.

Why? because the plumber can profit from it and not the owner of the materials?

Its just my opinion , you dont have to like it , whatever about the cylinder , but the pipe and fittings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

A couple of things here ..... you dont haggle with the scrap yard , if you used them before you would know this , its a fixed price , you wouldnt haggle over a pint of milk in the shop , but the main thing I would say is ..I cant believe you took the scrap from the plumber , I would be shocked if a customer asked me to leave the scrap behind , it would leave a very sour taste.

??? Maybe he doesn't want to give the plumber a €90 tip, or maybe he needs the money. I'm sure it would leave a sour taste if you are used to €90 cash in hand after every job.

Its just my opinion , you dont have to like it , whatever about the cylinder , but the pipe and fittings

So you would have a bad taste in your mouth because you would be entitled to this persons left over property?

So you would have a bad taste in your mouth because you would be entitled to this persons left over property?

Yes thats it exactly !!

• Advertisement

Yes thats it exactly !!

Thought thats what your problem was.

But still if I was to remove an old bathroom or including tiles , or a galvanised storage tank etc , they would expect me to dump them for free.

But still if I was to remove an old bathroom or including tiles , or a galvanised storage tank etc , they would expect me to dump them for free.

Why would you need to worry about that when you are entitled to them?

Why would you need to worry about that when you are entitled to them?

Its swings and roundabouts .

That would be included in the quote, would it not?

Its swings and roundabouts .

Sure they have scrap value too

bhamsteve wrote: »
    That would be included in the quote, would it not?

No

Sure they have scrap value too

Lol

No

Then it should be. Do you not agree at the outset what the job entails?

Then it should be. Do you not agree at the outset what the job entails?

As I said you some jobs you get the likes of a cylinder to take away , others your left to take away an old suite or the likes ,
    As I also said its just my opinion .

• Advertisement

As I said you some jobs you get the likes of a cylinder to take away , others your left to take away an old suite or the likes ,
    As I also said its just my opinion .

That's fair enough, and I wouldn't begrudge you any perks but you seem to be demanding them. Time's have changed, people are more frugal now, often because they need to be

That's fair enough, and I wouldn't begrudge you any perks but you seem to be demanding them. Time's have changed, people are more frugal now, often because they need to be

I absolutely never demand anything , if a customer asked me to leave a cylinder or anything behind I would do so with a smile , I dont take it for granted that I am getting it , when removed I ask them what they want me to do with it , its just 99.9% of the time they leave it for me to take away , the same goes for the rubbish on a job like old suites, I understand that times have changed, my prices have dropped drastically with the times , im not a big bad plumber out to rip anyone off and steal their property like what was said about me.

rip anyone off and steal their property like what was said about me.

You came across as demanding as said before and now your coming across as defensive.

Nobody said you ripped anyone off or stole anything

I absolutely never demand anything , if a customer asked me to leave a cylinder or anything behind I would do so with a smile , I dont take it for granted that I am getting it , when removed I ask them what they want me to do with it , its just 99.9% of the time they leave it for me to take away , the same goes for the rubbish on a job like old suites, I understand that times have changed, my prices have dropped drastically with the times , im not a big bad plumber out to rip anyone off and steal their property like what was said about me.

I'm not sure anyone implied you are ripping people off, it was just the 'sour taste' comment that didn't go down too well. Anyway, good luck with business :)

You came across as demanding as said before and now your coming across as defensive.

Nobody said you ripped anyone off or stole anything

Nobody said but YOU implied

I'm not sure anyone implied you are ripping people off, it was just the 'sour taste' comment that didn't go down too well. Anyway, good luck with business :)

I suppose I could have picked betfer words:o ah well the can of worms are open now

Exactly where now. Only thing I implied is that your not entitled to take anything and its not a given that you get to take the scrap with you. I nowhere stated that you take it without the owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

To be honest you came across as if you had a right to take the scrap.
    As another poster said why dont you price it into the job where you take scrap or dont take it so you and the customer know where ye both stand?

Sounds like your calling me a rip off to me .
    Also read your other posts plenty of rip off refferences in them too.
    Whats your problem anyway , did someone take a cylinder on you , or have you just got something against plumbers , or mabey just me

• Advertisement

This thread is hilarious :)

The cylinder and pipes are my property, not the plumbers. The plumbers job is to manipulate existing or add new pipes, not to take my property and profit from it. :)

Advertisement