Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Their fruit and veg, is Imported and distributed by the same companies that supply Tesco and dunnes, exactly the same source, it's all in your head.
    Nope, it really isn't all in my head. Likewise Dunnes large bags of potatoes are often awful so I gave up buying potatoes from them. I don't like the taste of fruit from Lidl because it doesn't taste great and their soft fruit often rots within a day of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If it's the same company that supplies Tesco and Dunnes, then why is the quality of the fruit and veg much worse than Lidl's? Anything I buy from Tesco's and Dunnes tends to spoil very quickly. I find the fruit and veg is cheaper and of better quality than either Tesco or Dunnes. I have to admit Aldi's quality isn't great and I don't buy F & V there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Lidl is gone to feck, I would rank it with tesco...Aldi is yer only man

As a person that actually works for Brennan's bread and so does some members of my family I'd like to know can you back up your comment about Brennan's bread not being healthy?!

Brennan's bread may be healthy, but still Godawful! Give me O'Keeffe's any time!

Brennan's bread may be healthy, !

LOL, brennans bread aint healthy

• Advertisement

LOL, brennans bread aint healthy

Tastes like sh1t If I'm honest. It's worse than the bread we have at home (UK), and that's saying something. My husband would leave if I brought it into the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Nope, it really isn't all in my head. Likewise Dunnes large bags of potatoes are often awful so I gave up buying potatoes from them. I don't like the taste of fruit from Lidl because it doesn't taste great and their soft fruit often rots within a day of purchase.

Ha ha, you haven't a clue, it all comes from the same place, the contracts differ that's all..

Enjoy dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If it's the same company that supplies Tesco and Dunnes, then why is the quality of the fruit and veg much worse than Lidl's? Anything I buy from Tesco's and Dunnes tends to spoil very quickly. I find the fruit and veg is cheaper and of better quality than either Tesco or Dunnes. I have to admit Aldi's quality isn't great and I don't buy F & V there.

Depends on the store, there is 2 aldi that I go to and the fruit is alot better in one of them compared to the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Brennan's bread may be healthy, but still Godawful! Give me O'Keeffe's any time!

Its not healthy, its junk food. ****e, you would be better have a chocolate bar.

Its not healthy, its junk food. ****e, you would be better have a chocolate bar.
    154 calories per slice,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

154 calories per slice,

Say what?! Does that include my packet of taytos?

ManMade wrote: »
    Say what?! Does that include my packet of taytos?

A pack of Tayto is only 184 calories, you might be as well to wrap your packet of Tayto in another packet of Tayto :-() instead of Brennans bread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Ha ha, you haven't a clue, it all comes from the same place, the contracts differ that's all..

Enjoy dreaming.

The fruit always tastes a lot better from Aldi,maybe the wholesaler is buying from different suppliers?

kneemos wrote: »
    The fruit always tastes a lot better from Aldi,maybe the wholesaler is buying from different suppliers?

The fruit comes mostly from Israel, and a lot of the herbs, same supplier and distributer as dunnes and Tesco. Jacobs fruit field have the contract for biscuits and crackers. These were made in Tallaght until the place folded, these are now made in Liverpool, Malta, and Eastern Europe.

The Malta factory manufactures all chef sauces, which are some off the bramwell brand, the mayo is made by heinze etc..

Same way the toothbrushes are made by Colgate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Depends on the store, there is 2 aldi that I go to and the fruit is alot better in one of them compared to the other one.
    Highly unlikely, all comes from a central distribution warehouse. Individual store orders get sent into the DC then it gets picked from the warehouse stock and dispatched to the stores. The same pool of stock is picked for all stores, nothing is done for just one store- what one gets they all get. All that varies is the quantity sent to the store, depending on predicted sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

A pack of Tayto is only 184 calories, you might be as well to wrap your packet of Tayto in another packet of Tayto :-() instead of Brennans bread

Just checked and there only 133. I might butter it with mighty munch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

154 calories per slice,

How can they get that many calories into a slice of bread,it's only flour and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

kneemos wrote: »
    How can they get that many calories into a slice of bread,it's only flour and water.

The list of ingredients is a lot longer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tastes like sh1t If I'm honest. It's worse than the bread we have at home (UK), and that's saying something. My husband would leave if I brought it into the house!

It's all dogsh*t. Brennans, Pat the Baker, Kingsmills etc, all sh*te. If you want decent bread make it yourself with wholemeal flour or else buy a decent loaf from a good bakery. All of that white sliced pan crap is loaded full of preservatives and additives; just have a look at the ingredients like.

It's a type of junk food, nothing more.

We do. See above...

• Advertisement

I'm from Cork myself and I used to love a brown soda from O'Keefe's! It was also stale after two days, which is how bread should be to be honest! I'm suspicious of anything that lasts too long outside the freezer these days.

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's all dogsh*t. Brennans, Pat the Baker, Kingsmills etc, all sh*te. If you want decent bread make it yourself with wholemeal flour or else buy a decent loaf from a good bakery. All of that white sliced pan crap is loaded full of preservatives and additives; just have a look at the ingredients like.

It's a type of junk food, nothing more.

The Missus works in an artisan bakery, fresh real bread goes off the next day, it actually turns hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

154 calories per slice,
    Does that mean its healthy? 154 for no nutrition at all? Its absolute junk

I'm all in favour of cheap quality produce and it's clear that Aldi and Lidl have that in abundance; however I'm not too fond of the way that these large outlets open up and end up killing off the small businesses in the traditional town and village centres. Macroom in Co Cork is an example of this; a Lidl opened up on the outskirts offering free and easy parking in a town notorious for congestion as well as cheap and convenient shopping and it led to the demise of the town centre itself. There are closed properties up and down the main street and it's a bit sad to see to be honest. Personally I hate to see complete standardisation in terms of shopping when all food purchases etc is concentrated into large outlets belonging to multinationals.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm all in favour of cheap quality produce and it's clear that Aldi and Lidl have that in abundance; however I'm not too fond of the way that these large outlets open up and end up killing off the small businesses in the traditional town and village centres. Macroom in Co Cork is an example of this; a Lidl opened up on the outskirts offering free and easy parking in a town notorious for congestion as well as cheap and convenient shopping and it led to the demise of the town centre itself. There are closed properties up and down the main street and it's a bit sad to see to be honest. Personally I hate to see complete standardisation in terms of shopping when all food purchases etc is concentrated into large outlets belonging to multinationals.

I would agree with that, I still go to my local butcher for meat, only because the fecker is there 80 years and owns the premises, he can afford to compete with aldi and lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Apart from the great value, good quality, straightforward unchanging layouts, speedy checkouts and all the other positives already mentioned. One of the reasons i prefer to give my grocery money to Aldi/Lidl is quite simply that they do not lie to me.

If they offer a price reduction or special deal ....it is a genuine one. I don't have to check, i don't have to spend 10mins trying to work out if its a scam. I trust these supermarkets in a way that I absolutely do not trust Tesco or Dunnes.

Lidl and Aldi do not shift more expensive product onto shelves with lower prices and then blame customers for moving products. Dunnes and Tesco do this all the time.

I love Aldi, and i tell them that frequently. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

hfallada wrote: »
    It's kinda like coca cola and Pepsi. Put them in 2 diffentent glasses and 9/10 people wont tell the different. Same with the German supermarkets food. Majority of big companies view aldi and lidl as a way of making money from the lower income consumer
    If you can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi there is something wrong with your taste buds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

will.i.am wrote: »
    If you can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi there is something wrong with your taste buds!

Dr Pepper....:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

the non-food stuff in the centre visles in lidl is pure cr*p. A few times I have bought stuff and regretted it. i once bought something back but lidl's after sales was pathetic. never again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I would call all cereals and soft drinks rubbish!

Me too. Except coke WHICH I WON'T HEAR A WORD AGAINST!* :pac:

* Nah, it's pure shíte, sadly. :o

Advertisement