Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

aldi burgers, dunno what they're called are easily the best i'v ever bought

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I bought 2 steaks in Aldi today thanks to this thread, I will give my verdict later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I must be just unlucky then because I ofton get stuck behind someone who starts talking to the till operator about a school play or some other shíte.
    It does happen but less and less these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The milk is a lot cheaper in Aldi as well and just as good, branded milk like Avonmore is a lot more expensive and they both come out of a cows tit so no reason to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Made homemade burgers, bought all the ingredients from superQuinn, next week made same burgers but went to lidl and cost half the price.

also I love walking around lidl and aldi you don't know what you'll find, tomatoes beside con saws, car seats in the ice cream section total madness.

You noticed them so something must be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Aldi is more expensive than Lidl, € 2 for trolley in Aldi only € 1 in lidl. But neither seems to have trolleys with the broken coin mech, which are free, that Dunnes have. Also better than tesco who charge €1 for a trolley but many of the trolleys are like something from only fools and horses with three working wheels and one wheel on auto pilot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Aldi is more expensive than Lidl, € 2 for trolley in Aldi only € 1 in lidl. But neither seems to have trolleys with the broken coin mech, which are free, that Dunnes have. Also better than tesco who charge €1 for a trolley but many of the trolleys are like something from only fools and horses with three working wheels and one wheel on auto pilot!

You get your money back when you lave back the trolley:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Boombastic wrote: »
    You get your money back when you lave back the trolley:confused:
    Yeah, I've started doing this since the local scrapyard won't accept them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Supervalu in Dun Laoghaire is nearly empty most of the time. What customers it has seem either very old or on social welfare, which is strange given the prices that place charges. The place is crying out for an Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

murpho999 wrote: »

This comment about 'Brennans' made me smile.

As if it's high quality bread.

Brennan's bread is still soft after a week which is very worrying, and shows how full of preservatives it is.

The Lidl own bakery bread, that you already mention is much better.

Standard of bread in Ireland compared to what you can get in Europe is very poor.

Really should avoid all that pre-packaged stuff like Brennans, Pat the Baker etc....all poor quality and unhealthy.
    As a person that actually works for Brennan's bread and so does some members of my family I'd like to know can you back up your comment about Brennan's bread not being healthy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I love how they give you 8 seconds to pack up and pay :)
    And that's why the queues move quicker than Tesco's. Keep your box/basket/trolley, just use it to get your groceries to the packing bench, and then you can take your time to pack your stuff properly. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I bought 2 steaks in Aldi today thanks to this thread, I will give my verdict later :)

Thats if you cook them properly! :)

Aldi fish is quite delicious and quite cheap compared to what Tesco\Dunnes sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi have ~100 stores & Lidl have ~125 stores in the country.
    That's a huge amount of stores! Yet their market share of the grocery market is only about 12% combined. Go figure.

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's a huge amount of stores! Yet their market share of the grocery market is only about 12% combined. Go figure.
    How many stores do Dunnes, Tesco etc have, that "huge" number of stores may account for about 10% of the retail space taken up by supermarkets. Their stores are smaller than those of the leaders as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't go figure unless I know how many other stores there are and their share of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

They are generally good value. I don't really like their meat, but they have some great bread and produce. Their condoms, lubes, baby oil and baby wipes are competitively priced too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

dolanbaker wrote: »
    How many stores do Dunnes, Tesco etc have, that "huge" number of stores may account for about 10% of the retail space taken up by supermarkets. Their stores are smaller than those of the leaders as well.
    Well Tesco has 141 stores and Dunnes have 116 stores and Supervale have ~190 stores.
    But you'd think that Aldi & Lidl market share would be much higher. Their car parks are full every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Well Tesco has 141 stores and Dunnes have 116 stores and Supervale have ~190 stores.
    But you'd think that Aldi & Lidl market share would be much higher. Their car parks are full every weekend.

Full of the white knuckle brigade pretending to be looking for tools, then getting a few "bits" while their at it. All I see these days is posh cars and people pretending to be looking for tools, all dressed up getting their shopping.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    They are generally good value. I don't really like their meat, but they have some great bread and produce. Their condoms, lubes, baby oil and baby wipes are competitively priced too.

Their steaks are quite good the rest of it I agree is not great.Are you sure the condoms are good value considering you're buying baby wipes.

kneemos wrote: »
    Their steaks are quite good the rest of it I agree is not great.Are you sure the condoms are good value considering you're buying baby wipes.

Of course. The baby wipes are for the baby. The condoms are to reduce the risk of having another one. :D

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »

Their steaks, meat, biscuits, cereal, tea bags, chocolate, toilet roll, toothpaste, bleach, wine and beer are made by the same big names that provide dunnes, Tesco and supervalue.

The crisps are made by largo foods that make tayto, the peanuts are made by manhattan and KP. The rubbers are made by durex.

The rubbers are fine. If you're going to sink the banana, aldi are not going to give you inferior rubbers, their not going to open to litegation.

They're stores are given over to a lot of non grocery items also if it's calculated monetarily you get a lot more for your buck.

Lidl do sell some incredibly random things at times, like microscopes and hiking boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Lidl do sell some incredibly random things at times, like microscopes and hiking boots.

Your shopping trolley must be very interesting! :D

I never said I bought the scopes and boots, but the sexual aids do come in handy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think he's actually Lady Gaga:pac:

zerks wrote: »
    I think he's actually Lady Gaga:pac:

Damn, my secret is out. I'll have to go to Aldi now instead of Lidl. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Lidl's instant decaff coffee is much nicer than the more expensive brands. Their bread and rolls are really tasty and I like the fact that they do a good range of vegetarian friendly cheeses. I don't like their fruit or veg though. I buy a lot of plants there and I noticed that Hellmans mayo was almost 30 cent cheaper in there today than in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭danslevent

I find the only downfall really is their fruit, it just tastes like water most of the time, especially the blueberries.

Other than that, all their stuff is just as good and so much cheaper :)

• Advertisement

Lidl's instant decaff coffee is much nicer than the more expensive brands. Their bread and rolls are really tasty and I like the fact that they do a good range of vegetarian friendly cheeses. I don't like their fruit or veg though. I buy a lot of plants there and I noticed that Hellmans mayo was almost 30 cent cheaper in there today than in tesco.

Their fruit and veg, is Imported and distributed by the same companies that supply Tesco and dunnes, exactly the same source, it's all in your head.

Advertisement