Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant 'refused abortion plea'

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Consultant 'refused abortion plea'

08 April 2013
    A consultant has been accused of refusing an Indian woman's demands for an abortion as she miscarried on the grounds that it is "a Catholic country".

While I have been following this story, I have had mixed feelings regarding the husband in question - however, don't get me wrong I'm extremely sorry for his loss.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling he is now trying to cash in on this bigtime? He has got a lot of front!
    I'm sorry, but if the above statement is true, why was it that they did not travel to the UK for this to happen?

Excuse my ignorance if you feel I have got the wrong end of this matter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling he is now trying to cash in on this bigtime? He has got a lot of front!

I think he's trying to publicise a perceived injustice. He claims she was refused an abortion on religious grounds instead of medical ones. Hence the inquest.
    why was it that they did not travel to the UK for this to happen?
    Long way to go when you're having a miscarriage...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I watched his act on telly months ago ,
    One thing stood out for me "I'm not Irish so Irish laws don't apply to me"
    The whole situation has been over hyped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Gatling wrote: »
    One thing stood out for me "I'm not Irish so Irish laws don't apply to me"

She was entitled to an abortion if her life was deemed to be in sufficient danger.

His qualm is that her being refused neglected to take the law and medical professionalism into account and instead rejected it on religious grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seachmall wrote: »
    She was entitled to an abortion if her life was deemed to be in sufficient danger.

His qualm is that her being refused neglected to take the law and medical professionalism into account and instead rejected it on religious grounds.
    That's hear say
    I believe none of this should have been made public before a full investigation was carried out ,
    No public appearance's no media interviews the whole thing is skewed to his claims ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The consultant denies saying "this is a catholic country"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

That's hear say
    I believe none of this should have been made public before a full investigation was carried out ,
    No public appearance's no media interviews the whole thing is skewed to his claims ,

Kitty Holland is to blame for that, she saw her name in lights and ran with a very one sided story. Praveen became a pawn in a game that he never fully understood. In years to come, I believe he will regret ever bedding down with the groups and people that he did, in the immediate aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kenny Gofuk

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think he's trying to publicise a perceived injustice. He claims she was refused an abortion on religious grounds instead of medical ones. Hence the inquest.

Long way to go when you're having a miscarriage...

Ok! But its Ireland, it's widely know that abortion is a huge taboo subject here.
    I believe time did allow for other considerations to have been made, for the wifes greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Praveen became a pawn in a game that he never fully understood.
    This may not necessarily be true. Until all the facts emerge it is best to keep an open mind about the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No matter where you stand on abortion, if the "this is a Catholic country" quote is genuine, it should sicken everyone. As a Catholic myself, there is nothing more important for democracy than a total separation of church and state; Laws can be based on morality if they must, but using religious to justify anything is absolutely moronic and should never happen IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Shint0 wrote: »
    This may not necessarily be true. Until all the facts emerge it is best to keep an open mind about the case.

I am speaking from a similar experience. When a significant other passes, people should have enough humanity to allow you grieve. Anyway. His recent plea for privacy, was very telling.

My opinions on abortion are pretty mute - if it came to a referendum, I would probably abstain. But anyone with a brain can see that Praveen was played.

I hope he can find peace. He seems a decent skin.

My heart goes out to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

My opinions on abortion are pretty mute - if it came to a referendum, I would probably abstain. But anyone with a brain can see that Praveen was played.
    That's your prerogative, of course, but I will say one thing. A vote in favour of abortion doesn't necessarily mean that you like abortion. It can just mean that we don't have the right to stand in the way of someone from having one. It's a subtle, non-trivial distinction. I bring it up because of the amount of people who feel their religion/politics should dictate how everyone else acts, or their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

It's "moot".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's "moot".
    If you are saying that to the person I responded to, I don't think that is so. Mute, as in, to the question nothing to say. As opposed to the discussion being moot, for instance. Moot would be there is nothing to come from the conversation... Eh, I'm kinda crappy at describing/explaining things, but in short, I don't think moot is an appropriate substitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Ok! But its Ireland, it's widely know that abortion is a huge taboo subject here.
    I believe time did allow for other considerations to have been made, for the wifes greater good.

The woman was miscarrying and in agony. She died of septicemia as a result of having an open wound. Do you honestly think that her husband should have made the call to get her on a plane to England and into an abortion clinic in this state? No airline would have taken her- it would have had to have been by helicopter. It would be totally alien to most people, Irish or not, to expect that their life would be placed in danger like this over a legal technicality. The foetus was not viable- there was no question of the baby being saved, only that the heart was still beating they would not do a d&c.

I believe that there was a more basic negligence on the part of the hospital staff. When I was having my first baby my waters broke but I did not go into labour straight away. Once I had an open wound for more than 24 hours I was placed on iv antibiotics to avoid the risk of septicemia. Had this basic precaution been taken this woman would still be alive today,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

if the "this is a Catholic country" quote is genuine...

BIG if. The consultant denies saying it. I found it unlikely at the time that any doctor in Ireland would say such a thing. I remain even more convinced today that it was never said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Pushtrak wrote: »
    If you are saying that to the person I responded to, I don't think that is so. Mute, as in, to the question nothing to say. As opposed to the discussion being moot, for instance. Moot would be there is nothing to come from the conversation... Eh, I'm kinda crappy at describing/explaining things, but in short, I don't think moot is an appropriate substitution.

It would be incorrect even if it was moot, however it's the context in which most people conflate the two. Anyway, the point is moot; or rather it isn't...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I do agree with the op and hope I am never in their situation but I suspect he can fallen in with people who may see this as an option to make a few €€€€€.

Where is he living now?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

CaraMay wrote: »
    I do agree with the op and hope I am never in their situation but I suspect he can fallen in with people who may see this as an option to make a few €€€€€.

Where is he living now?

Ah, does it matter where he's living ? He's wife died here in Ireland and they both had lived here for over 12 years. So when someones spouse dies due to a perceived negligence their partner only wants the truth because of the money. Some lovely people around here. Maybe he arranged her death for the publicity and the money. Get a grip people. Put yourselves in his shoes. Not everything being reported is true and unless anyone on here were part of the group that put the report together we don't know all the FACTS. FACTS is what should come out of an inquest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

We can only comment based on the 'facts' we have at han and are entitled to our opinions

He wanted media attention at the start and now wants privacy... It's interesting he wAnts to change the laws of a land he no longer lives in.

I feel very sorry for him but do think people around him are pushing him and maybe not always for genuine reasons.

CaraMay wrote: »
    We can only comment based on the 'facts' we have at han and are entitled to our opinions

Why does it matter where he currently is living ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's hear say

We wouldn't have had a full investigation of he hadn't gone public

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    The woman was miscarrying and in agony. She died of septicemia as a result of having an open wound. Do you honestly think that her husband should have made the call to get her on a plane to England and into an abortion clinic in this state? No airline would have taken her- it would have had to have been by helicopter. It would be totally alien to most people, Irish or not, to expect that their life would be placed in danger like this over a legal technicality. The foetus was not viable- there was no question of the baby being saved, only that the heart was still beating they would not do a d&c.

I believe that there was a more basic negligence on the part of the hospital staff. When I was having my first baby my waters broke but I did not go into labour straight away. Once I had an open wound for more than 24 hours I was placed on iv antibiotics to avoid the risk of septicemia. Had this basic precaution been taken this woman would still be alive today,
    I find peoples idea that she was in agony odd, painkillers were on her leaked chart, so she was not in agony, she may have been in a little pain, that is plausible, but agony is hyped-dramatics!

From what has been leaked/said do far, the hospital seems to have been negligent, that is clear. But I refuse to believe for a minute that any consultant is a religious nut, he may have said it in disgust, but I doubt that too. There is one case in my direct family alone where to save my step-mother, her baby was terminated. So this "oh they never put the mother first claim is BS"

Evidence based medicine practice, which is compiled by the WHO, recommends letting nature take its course and allowing the foetus to pass naturally as a medical termination would have increased the risk of infection, that said, the poor woman was clearly very much in a state of sepsis, but to add to that is not recommended either.

Same with my friend who was left for 3/4 days in a bed waiting to have her child, sure she was given anti-biotics, but I do think to this day 36/48 hours would have been long enough without medical intervention, as is recommended, but that is her issue with them not mine.

The abortion debate is something that should be discussed on the correct platform by the relevant professionals to give people an education on all the information to make an informed decision in a democratic referendum, and not via smear campaigns by either side!

I don't think Praveen was thinking straight when the Pro-choice fanatics (and both sides have fanatics) took over. He was grieving and thought they cared for his wifes life and not for their own agenda. It is clear now that the dust has settled that that was their only objective. Using the personal pain of that man and his beautiful wife to get their own agenda brought forward and thrusted into the media.

Medicine is not perfect, there will always be casualties, and doctors screw up, that is human error. And they should be made accountable for their errors, and I do believe, regardless of whether his place of residence now is in Ireland, the EU, or back in India, if the hospital is liable, he should be given compensation.

May Savita RIP and may we get a clear report as to what happened. Not that it should have ever been such a public matter. It was a private matter and should have remained such!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hardCopy wrote: »
    Exactly. "He's doing it for money" - exactly how much money has he gotten so far?

Its no secret that he has made serious effort to go public with this, because otherwise his wife's death would be ruled as simple septicaemia.

Ignoring the "Catholic" issue for the moment, even from initial reports it was clear that something was seriously lacking in her care and if nothing else we should be thanking Praveen for bringing this into public focus and forcing a public debate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

hardCopy wrote: »

Not true, I had issue with that hospital before and I asked for an investigation. Every doctor and nurse involved was brought in on it, and none of it was in the media to get me that. It was a small investigation because the matter was not a life threatening one, but it was double figure pages long and in depth. ALL the hospitals have this, people don't realise what paperwork takes so many doctors so long to complete, but they're are several reports to be done on any one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

No matter where you stand on abortion, if the "this is a Catholic country" quote is genuine, it should sicken everyone. As a Catholic myself, there is nothing more important for democracy than a total separation of church and state; Laws can be based on morality if they must, but using religious to justify anything is absolutely moronic and should never happen IMO.

If it was said (and I am far from convinced) then the significance depends on the context. If the consultant was a non-Catholic and said it with a roll of the eyes and a sigh then it becomes a much less sinister phrase.

My own reaction when I first heard it was this seems to be a more plausible explanation for the phrase than the way the media have portrayed it. Just because someone says "This is a Catholic country" does not require the person to approve with the sentiment, it could suggest the exact opposite depending on how it was said.

If it was said (and I am far from convinced) then the significance depends on the context. If the consultant was a non-Catholic and said it with a roll of the eyes and a sigh then it becomes a much less sinister phrase.

My own reaction when I first heard it was this seems to be a more plausible explanation for the phrase than the way the media have portrayed it. Just because someone says "This is a Catholic country" does not require the person to approve with the sentiment, it could suggest the exact opposite depending on how it was said.

This is a very good point. Doctors decisions are not governed by religious beliefs but by their medical training on all matters. We see this time and time again when Jehovah Witnesses refuse blood transfusions and it ends in the courts. Doctors made decisions on the medical evidence at hand not a higher power.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, from the testimony Mr. Halappanavar gave yesterday, it would appear that it wasn't said in an "How dare you ask for abortion, this is a good Catholic country", it was more matter-of-factly;
    “Dr Astbury said ’unfortunately I cannot. This is a Catholic country, we are bound by the law. We can’t terminate because the foetus is still alive’.”
    Context is everything, but of course at the time the media courted the least favourable interpretation of the words.

A poor choice of words from the doctor, certainly, but not quite the bible-bashing nutjob the media would have us believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If her life was in such danger why did he drive his inlaws to the airport in Dublin and go back to work? I don't think anyone thought she was in any serious danger.

IMVHO this is a terrible accident and a poor lady and unborn child has lost their lives, the fact that there was potential medical negligence and an infection picked up in the hospital are being ignored because of something someone has claimed to have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

BIG if. The consultant denies saying it. I found it unlikely at the time that any doctor in Ireland would say such a thing. I remain even more convinced today that it was never said.

So there's all those doctors voting against abortion (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919458) and you think it wasn't said.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

crusher000 wrote: »
    Ah, does it matter where he's living ? He's wife died here in Ireland and they both had lived here for over 12 years. So when someones spouse dies due to a perceived negligence their partner only wants the truth because of the money. Some lovely people around here. Maybe he arranged her death for the publicity and the money. Get a grip people. Put yourselves in his shoes. Not everything being reported is true and unless anyone on here were part of the group that put the report together we don't know all the FACTS. FACTS is what should come out of an inquest.

I thought they came to live here in 2008.

He overplayed the ''catholic country'' bit imo. It's tragic what happened but you cannot change the laws of any country to suit your own agenda.
    It's natural he wants answers as anyone would but he has not come across very well in the media but i blame this on the people representing him.

Advertisement