Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant 'refused abortion plea'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I wonder why the public aren't being allowed into the inquest. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I hate to think this , but in my opinion I think he may have started to embrace the media attention.

He turned up yesterday at the inquest wearing a massive pair of sunglasses FFS.:(

It's sunny here in the West. More unusual if he showed up with an umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not a public inquiry is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

I hate to think this , but in my opinion I think he may have started to embrace the media attention.

He turned up yesterday at the inquest wearing a massive pair of sunglasses FFS.:(

Why do you think a grieving husband may show up at the inquest of his dead wife sporting a pair of shades.....

Have a think, it will come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

RATM wrote: »
    I see that the inquiry has been adjourned today because now a staff roster has 'gone missing'. The cover up continues.....
    Link??? I can't find anything about it online, maybe it has not been uploaded yet. Regardless of the outcome the hospital is liable for negligence cover ups would be difficult, especially with a foreign doctor heading the investigation.

I cannot see how it is a public inquiry, that and it is a very sensitive issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It's an emotional issue, maybe it was to hide that he was crying. Some people also wear sun glasses to avoid having to make eye contact if they feel intimidated or uncomfortable (the same way a child looks at their feet when being giving out to) which someone grieving probably would when being confronted with journalists and photographers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Get the pitchforks, people. He had my sympathies... But sunglasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

PlainP wrote: »
    So there's all those doctors voting against abortion (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919458) and you think it wasn't said.......

I personally know one of those doctors who was shown on TV voting no. I also know that they themselves performed terminations when based in the UK. So yes, I don't think it was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

wolfpawnat wrote: »

I cannot see how it is a public inquiry, that and it is a very sensitive issue.
    Public attendance at an inquest
    All inquests held in Ireland are conducted in public and anyone may attend. Reports of inquests may be carried in national and local newspapers but in practice only a minority of inquests are actually reported. Coroners in Ireland are very much aware of the tragic circumstances often involved in inquests and will try to treat each inquest sympathetically. If there is a suicide note, its existence will be acknowledged. At the discretion of the Coroner, its contents may be read out in public. Every attempt is made to ensure that the inquest proceedings are not unduly intrusive on families and friends concerned.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/inquests.html

All inquests are generally sensitive issues to the persons concerned. This is no different. It is very much a public issue. Only the witnesses, press and the lawyers involved in the case are being allowed in. Even other solicitors are being refused entrance. Why are there different rules for this particular case?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

PlainP wrote: »
    So there's all those doctors voting against abortion (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919458) and you think it wasn't said.......

May have been a bit of ballot stuffing going on

http://imn.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5223%3Aabortion-voting-eligibility-questioned&catid=61%3Anews&Itemid=28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yesterday was very bright, I had sunglasses on when ever I left the house, also they are a way of crying in public with most people not noticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

If he was white and Irish, would you say the same? Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jesus...
    Fergal Bowers ‏@FergalBowers 34m
    Staff midwife Miriam Dunleavey stuns inquest saying, entries in the nursing/medical notes 'were put in by the internal inquiry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

RATM wrote: »
    And so the usual Irish Catholic cover-up begins.

Is the consultant obstetrician even Catholic? Where did you get this information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Why are there different rules for this particular case?

There isn't. There is just not enough room due to family members, friends, witnesses legal representation and reporters. Coroner's Courts are not that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus...
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

My Mum was a nurse back in the 60s and 70s. Was most certainly common practice then for consultants to direct the nurses to rewrite the medical notes after a patient has died in order to cover up any irregularities.

At least in this case the midwife has had the ethical strength to reveal the cover-up attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

BIG if. The consultant denies saying it. I found it unlikely at the time that any doctor in Ireland would say such a thing. I remain even more convinced today that it was never said.

She would say that, wouldn't she?

Considering the kind of arrogance I've encountered from Irish doctors, I have no difficulty whatsoever believing she said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Is the consultant obstetrician even Catholic? Where did you get this information from?

It hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I can see, but it wouldn't stop the usual Jumping at the Catholics because it's cool to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0409/380412-savita-halappanavar-inquest/
    Midwife says internal investigation added entries to Savita Halappanavar's medical notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This country needs to grow the fcuk up.

• Advertisement

Red Pepper wrote: »
    This country needs to grow the fcuk up.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's some horrible unfeeling c*nts on this thread so there is.

Accusing the poor guy of trying to 'cash' in on the death of his wife and child.

For f*ck's sake. Let's hope if a woman that you love is in a similar situation they aren't treated by someone as cold and uncaring as you.

:mad:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's some horrible unfeeling c*nts on this thread so there is.

Accusing the poor guy of trying to 'cash' in on the death of his wife and child.

For f*ck's sake. Let's hope if a woman that you love is in a similar situation they aren't treated by someone as cold and uncaring as you.

:mad:

To be fair, the majority of posters who have discussed the publicity element of the case have done so not in the context of the chap "cashing in on the case" but rather the potential peddling of the case by interest groups in an attempt to force an agenda and garner publicity for a cause.

I'm not sure how the particular case exploded in such a media frenzy as similarly tragic cases happen without such a media focus but get correct treatment on terms of investigation and hearings (such as the case cited earlier of the death in Dublin from infection entering the body via insulin related iv trips). Where is the media frenzy there?

Somebody/something is certainly trying to cash in on the galway case and it may very well not be the husband but other interested parties it seems to me.

Ultimately we may very well see that its a "simple" case of negligence rather than anything else and bar brief mentions in the media such cases are generally concluded with justice being done as best as possible, changes in management and policy in the industry/business/service in question but all is done outside of the spotlight of agendas etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

If the same thing happened to a skanger from ballymun, moyross or a halting site it wouldn't make the local paper.

Because its a well todo foreign couple it made it all the way to CNN.

Also watch the solicitors career rocket. Expect to see him on the late late show and Primetime when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't see what the fact that he is wearing sunglasses or where he lives now,or where he is from has any bearing on this. The man lost his wife and kid, even if you are against how this is being used by the media it would be nice to show a little bit more empathy and respect.

I actually feel a bit sick reading some of this, cash in? How the **** do you make that out. Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If the same thing happened to a skanger from ballymun, moyross or a halting site it wouldn't make the local paper.

Because its a well todo foreign couple it made it all the way to CNN.

Also watch the solicitors career rocket. Expect to see him on the late late show and Primetime when it's all over.

Yes, because an Irish person would be afraid to admit they asked for a termination because of the social climate in Ireland. They would have to pretend that they were OK with their wife dying for no good reason or face ostracism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't see what the fact that he is wearing sunglasses or where he lives now,or where he is from has any bearing on this. The man lost his wife and kid, even if you are against how this is being used by the media it would be nice to show a little bit more empathy and respect.

I actually feel a bit sick reading some of this, cash in? How the **** do you make that out. Jesus
    They're pro life to the point that even an exceptional case like this must be treated with hostility and suspicion - it's truly mindblowing.
    (I've no problem with moderate pro lifers by the way).

So what if it's getting a very high amount of coverage? It's an unusual case and has wider implications for Irish society.

Madam_X wrote: »
    They're pro life to the point that even an exceptional case like this must be treated with hostility and suspicion - it's truly mindblowing.
    (I've no problem with moderate pro lifers by the way).

So what if it's getting a very high amount of coverage? It's an unusual case and has wider implications for Irish society.

As I have said time and again in this thread, the extremists on both sides of this argument are what drive me mad, no such thing as a reasonable discussion with them! But, I fail to see where accusing the man of money grabbing (which I do not think he is doing and I feel if there is reason to believe medical negligence, which there clearly is, then he is at the very least entitled to compensation for legal fees, and more) is a pro-life thing. Not being argumentative, just wondering how you are getting that vibe.

I think the hostility is because of the dismissive way he treated the investigative system we have here until now and claiming he would not be part of the investigation until very recently. It made him seem like he was lying perhaps in the eyes of some. Then of course there are the racists who will despise him regardless. But not all of that would signify those with little time for him are Pro-life nutters. Same as I would say all those backing him are not pro-choice either.

And of course, some people are just burnt of this case by now. I feel some times I sigh at the mere mention of the woman's name because of the media trash talking for the past few months as opposed to actual facts.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    As I have said time and again in this thread, the extremists on both sides of this argument are what drive me mad, no such thing as a reasonable discussion with them! But, I fail to see where accusing the man of money grabbing (which I do not think he is doing and I feel if there is reason to believe medical negligence, which there clearly is, then he is at the very least entitled to compensation for legal fees, and more) is a pro-life thing. Not being argumentative, just wondering how you are getting that vibe.

I think the hostility is because of the dismissive way he treated the investigative system we have here until now and claiming he would not be part of the investigation until very recently. It made him seem like he was lying perhaps in the eyes of some. Then of course there are the racists who will despise him regardless. But not all of that would signify those with little time for him are Pro-life nutters. Same as I would say all those backing him are not pro-choice either.

And of course, some people are just burnt of this case by now. I feel some times I sigh at the mere mention of the woman's name because of the media trash talking for the past few months as opposed to actual facts.

I agree.

You don't have to be pro life or pro choice, extremist or moderate to be an idiot or to have a particular opinion.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    I agree.

You don't have to be pro life or pro choice, extremist or moderate to be an idiot or to have a particular opinion.

The media have contorted this particular case in a way no one seems to know exactly what happened/is going on at present. The International media has no idea what is going on, I have family abroad trying to tell me what they read about the case and they had no idea that septicemia had anything to do with her death. They are only being told that in Ireland, there is no abortion and even when the mother is at risk there is never even a discussion of medical termination. They were asking about the X case, which they voted on when they lived here years ago. It is all being blown out of proportion via sensationalist media.

Medical experts and those present are the only ones capable of giving us a somewhat clear view of those tragic few days, I always said I would wait for the report to make a view on this matter. Some people, regardless of their views, jumped the gun and made assumptions based on said sensationalism.

Advertisement