Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Most of the idiotic comments on this thread are from people who have no idea who Margaret thatcher is or what she did for the UK.
    She deserves some respect on her death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anynama141 wrote: »
    I think Pat Finucane also believed in war.

That's odd. You've verified evidence for this, have you?

HondaSami wrote: »
    Most of the idiotic comments on this thread are from people who have no idea who Margaret thatcher is or what she did for the UK.

Well, if we didn't respect her when she was alive, why the fuck would we start now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Look on the bright side.
    The IRA did not get their way. Democacracy won out. She was proved right and peace reigns.

Along with Reagan she stood up to the "evil empire" - Russia and its allis. They were proved right when the Berlin wall came down.

She stood up to the invasion from the Argentinians, the government later prved to have "disappeared" thousands of its own people.

She modernised the British economy ...only years earlier the IMF was there, there was widespread strikes etc.

She gave people hope ....council tenants could buy their own homes .....millions of people emigrated to Britain ( inc hundreds of thousands of Irish ) to get work, instead of all their brightest leaving.

When the republicanism content of a post or sentiment of a poster goes up it seems the IQ goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Do you include Scotland as part of the UK? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Looking forward to her funeral .... I think it will be the first time the first time the 21 gun salute shoots the coffin :D

true wrote: »
    Look on (..........)all their brightest leaving.

You've said all that guff numerous times before. You've ignored the fact she could no more give a shite about the "dissappeared".

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    When the republicanism content of a post or sentiment of a poster goes up it seems the IQ goes down.

Thanks. I'll remember that for future reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Nodin wrote: »
    ...dear me, what a massive knowledge of posters political beliefs you have.
    Indeed. I count 4 republicans there, including your good self. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

death changes nothing. respecting someone in death while not doing it in life is hypocrisy.

That's odd.
    You're odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If you read the top of your link, you will see where you went wrong:
    I didn't go wrong, that's the only definition given. Can you provide a source? It is your claim after all.
    According to SF/IRA, they were soldiers in a war, not civilians. And besides, what were they doing if not gathering information on the site of their planned bomb massacre?
    Presumably they were planning on planting a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I agree. If she hadn't nuked the Argies in WW2, taxed the Polish or stood up for minors, God knows where we'd be right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

She was a duplicitous authoritarian hypocrite that stoked the conflict in the north by energising physical force Republicanism with her short-sighted policies.

As for neo-liberalism - look at 'us' now in the west. US infrastructure is crumbling and they're up to their necks in debt, war, and blood and this is the burden of the ordinary man and woman not war profiteers and military-industrial corporations.

The UK is heavily in debt too and and the north of the country is replete with inter-generational welfare ghettos. You need two people working to have a good standard of living for a young family these days. Extremes of wealth and poverty haven't been so pronounced since victorian times.

As someone else commented earlier it's too soon to say if Thatcherism and Reaganomics has wrecked the west or benefitted it (it's not looking too good atm) and that's completely ignoring any moral and ethical appraisal.

Indeed. I count 4 republicans there, including your good self. :)

...and you know our stance on politics, gender issues, race issues, sectarianism etc and so on, do you? Or have you just the usual half arsed bag of ignorant generalisations to throw out....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Merely being a woman is enough to do a lot of good.

Showing it's possible to achieve anything regardless of your sex. With enough determination you can get to the top of the tree in your profession, whatever your gender. That's a good message.

She felt she owed nothing to the women's lib, which was both ignorant and disrespectful considering she'd have never gotten to be PM without it.

I can respect that she was a principled woman, in the same way Mary Whitehouse was. Doesn't mean I don't completely disagree and feel that they were misguided at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

You've said all that guff numerous times before. You've ignored the fact she could no more give a shite about the "dissappeared".
    She stood by the Falkland islanders and would not let them be successfully invaded by the regime of "the disappeared".

You're odd.

Thats nice. Wheres your evidence that Pat Finucane "believed in war"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

For all the posters who are negative against her, can ye honestly say she has not done any good at all?
    I don't believe she was perfect nor is any leader, she was tough and did not back down, unlike the spineless leaders we have here.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    I didn't go wrong, that's the only definition given. Can you provide a source? It is your claim after all.
    The source is that if you are not covered by convention, then you are not covered by the convention. The convention is what (supposedly) guarantees your rights as a combatant. Combatants who are not in uniform operating outside their own territory are not covered, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Annabella1 wrote: »
    The word I heard on the radio to describe her was 'binary'
    She gave answers straight - yes or no
    This didn't work in N Ireland on many levels and I don't think she ever understood the complexity.
    In one way,I think this country currently needs a leader like her

Light touch regulation, a property bubble, mass unemployment, decimation of indigenous industry, enrichment of a small privledged minority?

But we already have all that?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

For all the posters who are negative against her, can ye honestly say she has not done any good at all?
    I don't believe she was perfect nor is any leader, she was tough and did not back down, unlike the spineless leaders we have here.

Plus her hairstyle was a definite forerunner to the 'Rachel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

She was good source material for a film if that counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Merely being a woman is enough to do a lot of good.

Showing it's possible to achieve anything regardless of your sex. With enough determination you can get to the top of the tree in your profession, whatever your gender. That's a good message.

I think Thatcher is a prime counter-example for all of the folks who gently sign and say "Oh, if only women were in charge, the world would be a more peaceful place". Female political leaders can be just as stubborn, greedy, and war-mongering as male leaders.

...and you know our stance on politics, gender issues, race issues, sectarianism etc and so on, do you? Or have you just the usual half arsed bag of ignorant generalisations to throw out....
    I work on the balance of probabilities. Do you really make that bunch for militant feminists? How about yourself? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The source is that if you are not covered by convention, then you are not covered by the convention. The convention is what (supposedly) guarantees your rights as a combatant. Combatants who are not in uniform operating outside their own territory are not covered, it seems.

No source then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RayserSharp

I hope she died roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FreeTime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

How many times were that trio elected to parliament in total? Ya know, by the people and stuff?

again, if the above were fact and not myth, she got re-elected to PM twice and served 3 terms. If a large % of the country hated her, that would not have happened (regardless of weak opposition parties).

Wait, you're blaming Margaret Thatcher directly for your neighbours suicides and a womans heart attack now?

When you remove the chip on your shoulder, remember this: unemployment is a source of stress. Stress can lead to physical and mental health problems (of which there is no doubt). But if you're going to blame an individual for these sort of things, where do you stop? We can't go blaming individuals in politics directly for things like this, otherwise every political leader from the beginning of time has blood on their hands for every suicide and heart attack in history.

There will always be unemployment, there will always be stress. By all means, blame the political leader for their management of the economy or policies and vote for someone else. But it's not their "fault". If 1,000 people are laid off tomorrow by Intel, and 2 workers commit suicide, do we blame the company for their deaths? It's such a narrow, misguided, easy target to play the blame game like that.

Your day off work has nothing to do with me, do what you want. But you came on here saying you're taking a day off work in memory of those working class folk who lost their livelihoods by not being able to find work under Thatcher. If you can't see the irony in that, no problem.

Bertie got re-elected, does that mean he's still Mr Popular??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement