Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

MisDee wrote: »
    Finally!! It's been a long wait! I got UCC too :) I also have been offered Trinity so now its decision time, does anyone know any pros/cons with the two courses?

You can only do teaching practice in one subject in Trinity, I think. I'm not sure of the set up in TCD regarding the timetable but I know in UCC you're in school every single morning and in college every single afternoon for the year. Congratulations!
    Niamhf wrote: »
    Oh that sounds good...must look in to it!

Yeah, depending on your results you'd get between 15,000 and 20,000 pounds sterling, I think! And I know they give flexible loans for the fees over there too so you could use the bursary to live on. Just an idea!

A lot of boardsies seem to have gotten Cork! :)

tomissex wrote: »
    I posted them all. Thought it looked a bit better but it's personal preference I guess!

Congrats every one who got an offer! Get those CVs out asap.
    Hard luck to those who didn't. Don't let the two year thing stop you if this is something you really want.

Did it take you long to sort out your placement? Were you called to interview for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcgoooo

I got offered trinity and Ucd and choose trinity.. just cause Its trinity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

I got UCD but I live in Kildare... Should I take it? and commute??

I'm doing the UCD one at the moment if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    A lot of boardsies seem to have gotten Cork! :)

We should all have a cork meet up. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Did it take you long to sort out your placement? Were you called to interview for it?

Within the first month I'd say. Sent out 12, interviewed for 3 and picked the one I wanted. I know of people who sent 100s and just barely got one in time though so be prepared to work hard to get one.

The set up in Trinity is that you have college Mon afternoons, all day Tues and all day Wed and in school Mon morning, all day Thurs and all day Fri and you teach both subjects. NUIs have a similar setup.
    UCD and UCC you teach every morning and have college in the afternoons.
    I'm UCD so please correct if something's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcgoooo

in trinity its college Mon afternoon all day tues and all day wed and in school Mon morning all day thurs and all day Fri :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MisDee

tomissex wrote: »
    The set up in Trinity is that you have 2 full days of college and 3 full days of school (could be 3 college and 2 school) and you teach both subjects. NUIs have a similar setup.
    UCD and UCC you teach every morning and have college in the afternoons.
    I'm UCD so please correct if something's wrong!

Thanks for the help, I think Trinity is Mon morning, Thurs and Fri school and Mon afternoon, Tues and Wed college, so its a nicer set up than UCC...but I'm living in Cork and have a placement sorted here if I take it. I think with the cost of living in Dublin id be better staying in Cork unless there was something profoundly better about the modules and course itself in Trinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

I got UCC too - my first choice.
    I'm so pleased.

Anyone got any advice re contacting the schools?
    I'm abroad at the moment and I can't get back until the end of May due to my current teaching contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Tolkien21

Important question here guys: Did you receive an e-mail from PAC to say that your status had updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

Everyone knows the offers go out the first week in April so they wait until a day or two later to send out an email to everyone to let them know the offers are up :)

Tolkien21 wrote: »
    Important question here guys: Did you receive an e-mail from PAC to say that your status had updated?

No. Why is that important?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tolkien21

Its important because I was never e-mailed about the fact that they never received my documentation even though they explicitly say on their site and in the receipt that we are to receive an e-mail over any update to the status of our application!

I've been on the phone all morning over this! What are we paying an application fee cost for?
    Miri5 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the offers go out the first week in April so they wait until a day or two later to send out an email to everyone to let them know the offers are up :)

Quite suspicious Miri that you're from Galway city (where PAC is), you work in an admin job and you post about pac regularly.

This is ridiculous. Management just emailed me to say that their going to e-mail everyone about the offers later. What a cover up! I'm going to have to wait two years to be qualified due this! They keep saying I was e-mailed about this status update but I check my UCD account all the time and my junk/trash. I've received all the e-mails about the PDE survey and my receipt so they obviously never sent it!

What can I do to go further with this?

Um, sorry to ask a probably stupid-looking question.
    i honestly didn't think i'd get an offer - so i haven't been doing my research. there didn't seem much point......
    My BA final result was a very mediocre 2:2 and i think i only got an offer because i have an MA and the points dropped.

I got offered UCC.
    is there a list of pre-approved secondary schools in Cork that i should apply to for my placement,
    or should i apply to every single school in Cork?

all advice appreciated.
    thanks

Um, sorry to ask a probably stupid-looking question.
    i honestly didn't think i'd get an offer - so i haven't been doing my research. there didn't seem much point......
    My BA final result was a very mediocre 2:2 and i think i only got an offer because i have an MA and the points dropped.

I got offered UCC.
    is there a list of pre-approved secondary schools in Cork that i should apply to for my placement,
    or should i apply to every single school in Cork?

all advice appreciated.
    thanks

Congratulations. There is a list of pre-approved schools on the website. Afaik you can apply only to those schools.

Congratulations. There is a list of pre-approved schools on the website. Afaik you can apply only to those schools.

the PAC website or UCC website?
    thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Its very telling and worrying how much the points have decreased over the past 3 years.

the PAC website or UCC website?
    thanks for your help.

No problem. The UCC website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 B99

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Its very telling and worrying how much the points have decreased over the past 3 years.

A teacher of mine told me that back in the 80's (at a time when he was training himself), everyone was saying "why would you want to become a teacher/ there are no jobs", etc.

These things go through cycles. I've no doubt that in another 10/12 years the points - or whatever the system may be at the time - will have gone through the roof again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

got accepted and Im so happy!! Didn't think I would. Can't wait now to get started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

I got NUIG ! :) I have looked everywhere for the fee's and cant see it anywhere. can anyone help me out ? :) btw congrats to everyone who got their places!!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

B99 wrote: »
    A teacher of mine told me that back in the 80's (at a time when he was training himself), everyone was saying "why would you want to become a teacher/ there are no jobs", etc.

These things go through cycles. I've no doubt that in another 10/12 years the points - or whatever the system may be at the time - will have gone through the roof again.

I wouldn't be so sure. The system is being set up to be staffed by casual short hours contract workers.

I trained in the 80s - there were jobs available and they were 'proper' full hour jobs. Nobody gets 'wholetime permanent jobs' any more. Nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

I got NUIG ! :) I have looked everywhere for the fee's and cant see it anywhere. can anyone help me out ? :) btw congrats to everyone who got their places!!!! :)

I'm looking for the fees too :) anyone have any idea?

Last year UCD was 6,530
    NUIM site says theirs was 6,218
    TCD says 5,835

I think that's the highest and lowest that they'd be and I don't think there'd be much change from year to year. You'll get a letter soon enough with full details for your own course anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

• Registered Users Posts: 23 B99

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. The system is being set up to be staffed by casual short hours contract workers.

I trained in the 80s - there were jobs available and they were 'proper' full hour jobs. Nobody gets 'wholetime permanent jobs' any more. Nobody.

Well, in fairness, seeing as you trained in the 80's yourself, it's clear that you know what you're talking about. Cheers for the info - it seems you've done your research. I shall live in hope nonetheless that the current mess will sort itself out.

My aim has been, for quite a long time, to become a secondary school teacher. Not just for the holidays and rumoured quality of life. I'm sure it will take a long time and a lot of work to hold down a solid job in the industry, but please god I'll be up to it. Next year will tell a lot I'm sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pmoore2007

where did your offers i looked on pac.ie and doesnt say anything about acceptance or rejection?

although the only info i have under my status is all about the teaching council which i didnt yet apply to for approval so think my application is in the toilet :(

Advertisement