Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another week another Pit Bull attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Nodin wrote: »

So lethal that the pitbull kills 4 times more people than the shark does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If one of them came on to my property and attacked any of my family i would gut it with the biggest kitchen knife that i could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Statistics show they are the breed which have caused the most human fatalities, though. Surely that can't all just be media spin?

I suspect they are the favoured type among people who want a dog to help them look tough, and treat them so badly, or fail to look after them, so they turn vicious.

That said, the argument that it's all the owner's fault is hollow without imposing stricter controls on ownership, training and supervision of all dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gringo180 wrote: »

Well thats because the shark is generally docile once its regularily walked and fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Statistics show they are the breed which have caused the most human fatalities, though. Surely that can't all just be media spin?

I wouldn't be too trusting of such statistics, and would expect some exaggeration, but I still wouldn't be too surprised if they were at the top of the list.

But that's nothing to do with the dogs. As always, it's the owners who are usually to blame, and too often people buy pitbulls and other "tough-looking" dogs for their intimidation factor and to bolster their fragile sense of masculinity. They don't tend to treat their dogs as well as people who care for their pets do, which is a key factor in dogs becoming dangerous. They're like people: treat them badly and they'll probably turn out bad.

As to the idea that pitbulls were bred for fighting: it's a myth. They were originally bred for a variety of outdoor jobs that required strength and speed. Of course they are the most popular dog in illegal dogfights, but that doesn't mean that all pitbulls are identical to the fighters. You have to treat a dog a certain way to get them to become vicious, except for the rare exceptions of inherently nasty individual dogs, which can be found among all breeds.

But again, the sad fact is that more pitbulls are probably going to be mistreated or neglected than many other breeds, because they're bought by wrong 'uns.
    Small terriers like Jack Russells are more likely to be aggressive and tenacious, but they're also small and cute and generally tend to be better looked-after than the scary-looking dogs.

Any dog can become a killer, provided they're brought up to be one, and unfortunately, I think some breeds get mistreated more than others by idiots who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.
    We'd be much better served trying to ensure that dog owners are required to be more attentive, rather than slaughtering innocent animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Typical panic driven by the media. Bad owners create bad dogs, regardless of the dog's lineage. The problem is responsible dog ownership regardless of breed.

Ive seen many a stray dog roaming the streets, the mongrel type that haven't had the best of upbringings or life but I have never heard of one killing anybody or even attacking anybody for that matter. I think this breed of dog is more likely to attack and harm than any other breed of dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

lock em up.... throw away the key

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I wouldn't be too trusting of such statistics, and would expect some exaggeration, but I still wouldn't be too surprised if they were at the top of the list.

They seem pretty solid to me:

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf
    But that's nothing to do with the dogs. As always, it's the owners who are usually to blame, and too often people buy pitbulls and other "tough-looking" dogs for their intimidation factor and to bolster their fragile sense of masculinity. They don't tend to treat their dogs as well as people who care for their pets do, which is a key factor in dogs becoming dangerous. They're like people: treat them badly and they'll probably turn out bad.

As to the idea that pitbulls were bred for fighting: it's a myth. They were originally bred for a variety of outdoor jobs that required strength and speed. Of course they are the most popular dog in illegal dogfights, but that doesn't mean that all pitbulls are identical to the fighters. You have to treat a dog a certain way to get them to become vicious, except for the rare exceptions of inherently nasty individual dogs, which can be found among all breeds.

But again, the sad fact is that more pitbulls are probably going to be mistreated or neglected than many other breeds, because they're bought by wrong 'uns.
    Small terriers like Jack Russells are more likely to be aggressive and tenacious, but they're also small and cute and generally tend to be better looked-after than the scary-looking dogs.

Any dog can become a killer, provided they're brought up to be one, and unfortunately, I think some breeds get mistreated more than others by idiots who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.
    We'd be much better served trying to ensure that dog owners are required to be more attentive, rather than slaughtering innocent animals.

It's a little bit of a cop out to blame the owners every time, though. The OP mentioned his neighbour was a very responsible dog owner and her dog still attacked.

Blaming the owners (with no evidence of any actual mistreatment or negelct) seems like a bit of an easy excuse to me. I'm not advocating putting down these animals, but I do think much tighter restrictions and regulations need to be brought in where it comes to the breeding and ownership of this particular breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

We don't exactly live in the sea though do we?!

OP:
    Your neighbour was a responsible owner? Any responsible pit bull owner would not leave one with another dog unattended.

I was around bull breeds for 20 years and not once have I seen one become human aggressive. I agree though that if one does attack it will inflict greater injury than another average 40-50lb dog. Any dog is capable of killing a child and look hard enough you'll find the incidents.

Search the web and you'll find hundreds of dog attacks. It's just pit bull ones get a lot more media attention.

Should they be banned? Nope. Should there be tighter restricting to owning certain breeds of dog? Yes definitely.

• Advertisement

Jack Russels are every bit as vicious, my son has a scar on his lip after being bit by my parents family pet when he was young. Why not ban them too? Same logic, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

A horrible breed of dog, one nearly ripped my cocker spaniel apart. Sterilize them at birth andlet them die out. You cant tame them, their vviciousness will eventually come out. All it needs is the smallest of triggers.

OP:
    Your neighbour was a responsible owner? Any responsible pit bull owner would not leave one with another dog unattended.

I was around bull breeds for 20 years and not once have I seen one become human aggressive. I agree though that if one does attack it will inflict greater injury than another average 40-50lb dog. Any dog is capable of killing a child and look hard enough you'll find the incidents.

Search the web and you'll find hundreds of dog attacks. It's just put bull ones get a lot more media attention.

Should they be banned? Nope. Should there be tighter restricting to owning certain breeds of dog? Yes definitely.

It gets alot more media attention for a reason, as it causes more fatalities than any other dog breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    woodoo wrote: »
    If one of them came on to my property and attacked any of my family i would gut it with the biggest kitchen knife that i could find.

There is certainly something dangerous out there, I'm just not sure if it is the pit bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Typical panic driven by the media. Bad owners create bad dogs, regardless of the dog's lineage. The problem is responsible dog ownership regardless of breed.
    Jack Russels are every bit as vicious, my son has a scar on his lip after being bit by my parents family pet when he was young. Why not ban them too? Same logic, no?

how did you solve this problem of bad ownership?

Sorry to hear that but if you replaced the Jack Russell with a Pitbull in your case I am sure it would of caused alot more damage than the Jack Russell did.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

youtube! wrote: »
    owners
    If the owner is a scumbag, can we put them down as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

These threads always bring out the loons who have to tell us what weapons they would use and how they would fcuk up the dog if they were in the same scenario. Pretty wacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This breed of dogs are ticking time bombs, they have the arsenal to inflict major injuries to people in the blink of an eyelid.
    So does every other similarly sized dog. Any dog can be vicious, and any large dog will do as much, if not more, damage than a putbull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

OP:

Search the web and you'll find hundreds of dog attacks. It's just pit bull ones get a lot more media attention.

Billy you say my neighbour is irresponsible because she left the 2 dogs unnattended, I can't agree because as I mentioned she always had 1 or 2 dogs at any one time going back years , what's wrong with a couple of dogs out in the back garden together? Well I shall tell you what's wrong nothing so long as one of them isn't a pitbull! As I said earlier she didn't see this coming when she had the dogs out BOTH were muzzled but it was in the back garden when she came back from shopping that she found her old lab ripped up and this after several months of them knowing each other , explain that to me?

• Advertisement

This is a good read: http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/pitbulliq
    The UK banned a variety of dog breeds including Pit Bulls. What happened to the number of dog bites reported in the UK after the ban took place?
    Correct Answer: Stayed the same.
    After a group of dogs, including Pit Bulls and other "bully breeds" were outlawed in the UK the number of dog bites did not decrease -- they stayed exactly the same.

True or False: Dogs attack without warning.
    Correct Answer: False.
    Dogs provide warning when they are getting ready to attack, however many people overlook these signs. Signs of an impending attack include: dog becomes stiff, dog curls lips over teeth, dog lowers head, hair on the back of the dogs neck and spine stand up, and many more. If you are in a situation where a dog is preparing to bite then stop, do not look the dog in the eye, and back slowly away.

How many documented cases of dog bite fatalities involve a spayed/nuetered, family-socialized American Pit Bull?
    Correct Answer: 0
    There is not one documented case of an Americal Pit Bull that was spayed/neutered, family-socialized and not in a pack causing a human death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You can't use evidence and reasoning to stop the Joe Duffy brigade.

kylith wrote: »
    So does every other similarly sized dog. Any dog can be vicious, and any large dog will do as much, if not more, damage than a putbull.

The pitbull has the highest fatality rate so I think I would chance my arm to be attacked by another breed of dog similar in size to them.

KamiKazi wrote: »

Unfortunately this is what Boards is slowly turning into

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Billy you say my neighbour is irresponsible because she left the 2 dogs unnattended, I can't agree because as I mentioned she always had 1 or 2 dogs at any one time going back years , what's wrong with a couple of dogs out in the back garden together? Well I shall tell you what's wrong nothing so long as one of them isn't a pitbull! As I said earlier she didn't see this coming when she had the dogs out BOTH were muzzled but it was in the back garden when she came back from shopping that she found her old lab ripped up and this after several months of them knowing each other , explain that to me?

Rule number 1 of keeping a pit bull responsibly. Never ever trust a pit bull not to fight. As a pit bull owner she should of known that and obviously didn't.

Who's to say the lab didn't start the fight? What sex were the dogs? How old were the dogs?

More mass hysteria BS. Just point the finger at the pit bull straight away without knowing or studying the facts first. Just talking about the incident with the lab here BTW.

The pitbull has the highest fatality rate so I think I would chance my arm to be attacked by another breed of dog similar in size to them.

You didn't read what I posted
    True or False: Pit Bulls have stronger bites than any other dog.
    Correct Answer: False.
    Both German Shephereds and Rottweilers have stronger jaws than a Pit Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

KamiKazi wrote: »

How about the evidence that proves pitbulls are the most dangerous breed of dog in terms of human fatalities?

Call people whingers all you want, but serious questions need to be asked about this particular breed of dog and what can be done to prevent any more attacks like the recent ones on two separate children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

woodoo wrote: »
    Link http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/26/bc-pit-bull-attack-chihuahua.html

I think these dogs and their anything resembling them should be banned. Growing up i never seen any of them locally, now every 3rd or 4th dog i see is one of them. I just don't understand the attraction.

The problem is not simply the owner, the real problem is what they are capable of. If a dog was to turn on me it would be manageable if the dog was a less powerful breed. But if a pitt bulls attacks the damage that can be done is immense. Society shouldn't have to face that threat. I don't want to be a the mercy of whether some scumbag has trained his pittbull or not.

Another thing is that none of these dogs are ever muzzled where i am from and a few times have attacked other dogs even when on a lead.

You live in an area full of scumbags, in that case. The dogs are the least of your worries.

You didn't read what I posted

I was replying so didn't see your post. You see its not the strenght of the jaw that does the damage its the sheer force of the attack and in my opinion the pitbull would be more verocious in attack and I am sure the fatality rate would back this up/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Of course I know the difference between a chihuahua and a pitbull. Sorry if it is not clear but the brave little chihuahua bit at the legs and barked to try to distract the pitbull. And my neighbour has always had dogs and is a very good owner but has a dead Labrador now , what's worse is she rescued the pitbull a few months back and gave it a chance. She never subscribed to any breed having an inherently vicious streak but she does now.

There's her problem right there. Who knows what the animal was rescued from. Ideally any rescue pitbull should be rehomed in a home with no animals or children after lengthy rehabilitation. An oversight on her part and the animal shelters part.
    This breed of dogs are ticking time bombs, they have the arsenal to inflict major injuries to people in the blink of an eyelid.

So does any animal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement