Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Would love to get one of these.

Few questions, I've read a lot of the thread but it's taking ages to read on the phone.

1. Is there any adapter that would allow me to play my powerpoint slides on the projector via a VGA cable. No one in any shop seems to be able to answer. The projectors in school don't allow wireless stuff.

2. The bluetooth keyboard - does it kill the battery having bluetooth enabled while using the keyboard?

I had other questions but can't remember now. Mostly wondering about the VGA. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

1) Something like this might work: http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-micro-hdmi-to-vga-adapter--vga-dongle--7W67.html
    According to this thread it will anyway although I've not tried any.

2) Well my BlackBerry 9900 is constantly connected to my playbook via bluetooth and I dont notice any dramatic battery drain so I'd say no it shouldn't.

If you remember your other questions come back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi guys!

I'm strongly considering taking the plunge on a BP64gb for my son to use for college work (Mech Eng).

He needs the following functionality;

Reading notes & downloading videos off the college's Blackboard system
    Read/Create Excel docs
    Read/Create Word docs
    Read USB Data Stick
    Access Youtube
    Have Adobe Reader
    Read/Create PDF files

Is any/all of this possible on the BP?

Would REALLY appreciate some expert guidance!!:)

Thank you so much! :o

keredern wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm strongly considering taking the plunge on a BP64gb for my son to use for college work (Mech Eng).

He needs the following functionality;

Reading notes & downloading videos off the college's Blackboard system
    Read/Create Excel docs
    Read/Create Word docs
    Read USB Data Stick
    Access Youtube
    Have Adobe Reader
    Read/Create PDF files

Is any/all of this possible on the BP?

Would REALLY appreciate some expert guidance!!:)

Thank you so much! :o

From the above the only thing it does not do is read USB data sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

cookie1977 wrote: »
    From the above the only thing it does not do is read USB data sticks

Thanks for the quick reply!! :)

Are there specific Apps you could recommend to do all of the above?

(not worried about data disc as he can put the data in a microsd card instead??)

D'oh...no memory card slot!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The Playbook comes with DocsToGo and Adobe Reader.

keredern wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!! :)

Are there specific Apps you could recommend to do all of the above?

(not worried about data disc as he can put the data in a microsd card instead??)

D'oh...no memory card slot!! :rolleyes:

If he wants to transfer data he can do it over wifi, micro usb cable or via the print to go app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

Have got the playbook but not really used, has anything got better with films?

Off on hols next week and would like to put a few onto the Playbook for plane.....

Are you looking for film suggestions or are you asking if it'll play films? Because it'll play them alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Are you looking for film suggestions or are you asking if it'll play films? Because it'll play them alright.

If it will play them and what formats?

• Advertisement

It plays most formats although it doesn't like mkv files.

Full list of supported video file formats here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27267/Supported_Media_Types_on_BlackBerry_Tablets_(English).pdf

The audio format is more to do with the issues.
    If you download a film that uses AC3 audio, then it won't play.

That's true. I usually stick with MP4 if I'm converting dvd's

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

If the blackberry had netflix and Skype it would be perfect. Three weeks on, I'm quite happy with it. I've fixed the ip address and created a network drive to the device that my pc. It's easy to sync anything now.

It's more than likely both appear will be here by the end of the year. They're coming to bb10 and the playbook will eventually get bb10 to so they will arrive.

Let's hope bb10 comes along.
    I've been trying to set up my Vodafone email address on the pb with no joy. Any idea how to do it?

BB10 is definitely coming but we're not exactly sure when.

Is it incoming or outgoing mail that's the problem? Usually you need to use the smtp that pertains to your ISP.

Incoming server: pop.vodafone.ie
    Outgoing server: mail.vodafone.ie (change this to your ISP's)
    Email address: yours
    password: the same as you'd use to log onto the website.

BB10 is definitely coming but we're not exactly sure when.

There's a rake of rumours starting to come out now on crackberry.com, some saying by the end of the summer.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    There's a rake of rumours starting to come out now on crackberry.com, some saying by the end of the summer.

I'm not sure I want it for the playbook to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I love my PB, it does just about everything I need it to do.
    I'd often wondered why it was that some of the movies I downloaded and put on there didn't work (either no sound or file not supported etc) when they clearly worked on other devices I'd tried them on but reading back the last couple of posts I can see I'm not the only one that's had this problem.

My media player at home plays any format as does my laptop thanks to a couple of media player type programs I've installed on there, but are there any similar media player programs available for the PB to overcome the problem of not playing certain file types....?

• Advertisement

I'd often wondered why it was that some of the movies I downloaded and put on there didn't work (either no sound or file not supported etc) when they clearly worked on other devices I'd tried them on but reading back the last couple of posts I can see I'm not the only one that's had this problem.

My media player at home plays any format as does my laptop thanks to a couple of media player type programs I've installed on there, but are there any similar media player programs available for the PB to overcome the problem of not playing certain file types....?

Not really any other media devices. Best just to convert the audio stream on any problem videos you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's more than likely both appear will be here by the end of the year.

They should be here a LONG time before that

Some new games released for PlayBook:

Asphalt 7: Heat for BlackBerry PlayBook: 4.49euro
    N.O.V.A. 3 for BlackBerry PlayBook 0.89 euro
    Shark Dash for BlackBerry PlayBook 0.89 euro
    Ice Age Village for BlackBerry PlayBook FREE
    Let's Golf! 3 for BlackBerry PlayBook FREE

I like that game wordhero

My wife plays one similar to it on the iPad called word scramble with friends, or something like that. But with her one you only play against one person. I wonder do they do a word hero for the ipad so that I can get my playbook back?!!

What's blackberry messenger and does it work on the PlayBook?

BlackBerry Messenger is an instant messenger service like whatsapp. But it's only for BlackBerry devices. A native app for the playbook has never been released. I can use my BlackBerry device in bridge mode with my playbook and use BBM on my smartphone through my playbook.

So no, unless you've a blackberry smartphone you can't use BBM on the playbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

Have you tried playing them with KalemSoft Media Player from the app world store?
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/17842195/
    It seems to handle most of my video files fine.

I know some people were asking before about connecting to vga ports so I bought this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RJ3MTC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it works very well. I've uploaded a quick video here:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very good.

I see UPC horizon box uses uses DNLA and requires devices to connect with twonky. Anyone ever use twonky or DNLA client on the playbook?

More here about new upc box
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84073882#post84073882

• Advertisement

I haven't tried it. Try the kalemsoft media player mentioned above:
    http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/dlna.html

Advertisement