Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

who_me wrote: »
    When I had the HD box installed there were 2 technicians as well, as apparently it was the first HD installation in Cork. I guess it's standard practice, to train the technicians too.

It has nothing to do with the Horizon box,UPC have a new company installing their equipment (I believe its Sierra) and that is their policy at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

thefishone wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the Horizon box,UPC have a new company installing their equipment (I believe its Sierra) and that is their policy at the moment.

Interesting. I wonder why that is - for training? Some kind of health & safety reason? Or for security?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

They're watching this thread, the links I put up are now not working.. PICK ME UPC! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Did the testers have to sign some NDA or something. Why will no one confirm the reward.

Without confirmation I am assuming its €2.50 a month and the reward is free whatever packages you're not already subscribed to. In my case the only new thing would be the movie channels. So I'd get €30 a month of movies I don't need. (I've 1000 movies on my server) Knowing their billing system though it would probably screw up the discounts I negotiated with the loyalty department when I signed up to HD, PHone and Broadband and the horizon trial would cost ME money :D

If the trial didn't fcuk around with my sub other than the 2.50 charge I'd be all over this and a perfect candidate. Gigabit networked home, desktops, laptops, iPads, Android Nexus 7's iPhones, Android phones, technically minded etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

€2.50 is the price per month,the reward more then made up for this:D installation/activation free.
    I understand that they don't want individual reward details publicised, but would you be able to say whether your reward is for a specifiic time, length of current/new contract or for as long as you remain a UPC customer?

• Advertisement

I understand that they don't want individual reward details publicised, but would you be able to say whether your reward is for a specifiic time, length of current/new contract or for as long as you remain a UPC customer?

Four months the reward lasts for, no new contract and can hand the box any time without
    penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Missed a call from a Dublin number today, and found that it was UPC. I assume that it s regarding the box.

Have I missed out on the opportunity because I was out if signal? Should I call the call centre back? I do know that the box is being done outside of the normal channels of communication?

Number was 01 702 XXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Missed a call from a Dublin number today, and found that it was UPC. I assume that it s regarding the box.

Have I missed out on the opportunity because I was out if signal? Should I call the call centre back? I do know that the box is being done outside of the normal channels of communication?

Number was 01 702 XXXX

I can never understand why someone wouldnt just either call them back or call UPC and ask... why ask here first? :D

I'm trying to confirm that it is them. The number also appears in searches for Sky. If a tester could shed some light, I'd do it.

There no point calling if it doesn't check out. As customer care aren't directly dealing with it, it wouldn't necessarily help. Horizon CC staff might not work on Saturday. Also, if I get through, and it was Sky or someone else, it was a waste of my time. Most of all, as there are testers on this thread, it makes sense to see here.

Number was 01 702 XXXX

My initial contact was through email, the number you quoted is not one used to contact me.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ESB and Eirgrid also use 01 702 numbers.

So does the Revenue Commissioners......

Request Forms or Leaflets

If you do not wish to use the Revenue Online Service, you can ask us to send any Revenue form or leaflet by calling 1890 306 706 (24hr). (Callers from outside of Republic of Ireland should use +353 1 702 3050.)
    ROS Helpdesk

If you need technical assistance with using ROS or PAYE anytime, or you have difficulty obtaining a PIN number or logging in, call 1890 201 106. (Callers from outside of Republic of Ireland should use +353 1 702 3021.)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What if you want multi room?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    What if you want multi room?

Not currently available with the horizon box.

Aren't all UPC boxes standalone anyway, what's with the multiroom query?

coylemj wrote: »
    Aren't all UPC boxes standalone anyway, what's with the multiroom query?

Think he means that you can only have 1 Horizon stb per a household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The horizon box acts as a hub and other boxes are fed of this. So in future they'll only have to wire one point.

Number was 01 702 XXXX
    Why not call back and see who it is? Far less hassle than posting here about it.

It is a PBX and just hangs up. Never mind. Thanks all.

ted1 wrote: »
    The horizon box acts as a hub and other boxes are fed of this. So in future they'll only have to wire one point.

Do you mean that the Horizon box will communicate to the other UPC digital (multiroom) boxes in the house via Wi-Fi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Do you mean that the Horizon box will communicate to the other UPC digital (multiroom) boxes in the house via Wi-Fi?

That is my belief as well. The 'slave' / multiroom box will communicate with the main box via 5ghz wifi and allow them to view any recorded content / watch tv / etc... I think it'll be great. Being able to set a recording anywhere and then watch it on any box as opposed to the one you set it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

That is my belief as well. The 'slave' / multiroom box will communicate with the main box via 5ghz wifi and allow them to view any recorded content / watch tv / etc... I think it'll be great. Being able to set a recording anywhere and then watch it on any box as opposed to the one you set it on!

Sounds great. Also means you can put a TV in any room you want whenever you want instead of being tied to cabled points.

And if you record a sports event that's at an oddall hour on the main box downstairs, you can watch the recording in bed the next morning on the multiroom box.

But Im assuming you can have horizon in one room and regularcisco hd box in the other?

Yep the two boxes are on different ports on the tap. But once the system is launched why would you want that ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Yep the two boxes are on different ports on the tap. But once the system is launched why would you want that ?

I was just wondering if having multi room would be an issue for being one of the testers thats all

I was just wondering if having multi room would be an issue for being one of the testers thats all

It's hardly going to be an 'issue'. I expect the testers will keep their existing multiroom boxes in the bedroom or kids' room and will later have the option to replace them with slave boxes which talk to the Horizon box.

You don't want to be giving people too much new technology in a trial like this, chances are they would get overwhelmed with the new features and not have a satisfactory experience. One step at a time.

It's hardly going to be an 'issue'. I expect the testers will keep their existing multiroom boxes in the bedroom or kids' room and will later have the option to replace them with slave boxes which talk to the Horizon box.

You don't want to be giving people too much new technology in a trial like this, chances are they would get overwhelmed with the new features and not have a satisfactory experience. One step at a time.

Do those slave boxes already exist?

Multi room is not a problem,they simply replace whatever box you want and setup
    the wireless whatever way you want.
    They don't and have no need to touch the setup in the rest of your house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Seems like its an early beta product. Not interested in that kind of quality.

Multi room is not a problem,they simply replace whatever box you want and setup
    the wireless whatever way you want.
    They don't and have no need to touch the setup in the rest of your house

Did they offer to replace the main box and a multiroom unit with the new technology? If they did, did you take up the offer of master & slave boxes?

If not you, do you know if any testers have a pair of new boxes talking to one another?

Did they offer to replace the main box and a multiroom unit with the new technology? If they did, did you take up the offer of master & slave boxes?

If not you, do you know if any testers have a pair of new boxes talking to one another?

I know a few testing the box and none were offered a slave/multiroom box and when I asked,was told none available while in testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

From what I understand UPC do not currently supply a horizon compatable multiroom box. However tablets, PCs and other DNLA compatable devices http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance may just work out of the box as multiroom devices. It would be better if these devices were connected using computer cabling rather than assuming the wireless will be reliable enough for streaming live TV and other uses.

Old multiroom UPC boxes will not be able to use any of the horizon features.

zg3409 wrote: »
    From what I understand UPC do not currently supply a horizon compatable multiroom box. However tablets, PCs and other DNLA compatable devices http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance may just work out of the box as multiroom devices. It would be better if these devices were connected using computer cabling rather than assuming the wireless will be reliable enough for streaming live TV and other uses.

Old multiroom UPC boxes will not be able to use any of the horizon features.

All DNLA devices should work out of the box,the is an app available for non DNLA
    devices. Twonky

Are you saying that if someone was to have a Horizon box and it was configured to their network, all they need is a device that can see DNLA to view content off the Horizon box? Surely that won't work for live channels?

• Advertisement

What happened to the original remote design?

iDann wrote: »
    What happened to the original remote design?

Apparently, it was using to much power, with your average user getting less then a week of use
    from the batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are you saying that if someone was to have a Horizon box and it was configured to their network, all they need is a device that can see DNLA to view content off the Horizon box? Surely that won't work for live channels?

Yes thats how it works. The horizon box has 4 or 5 tuners meaning different devices in the home can each watch different channels, either live or recorded. The system is designed to be better than Sky, but still has it's issues.

Yes thats how it works. The horizon box has 4 or 5 tuners meaning different devices in the home can each watch different channels, either live or recorded. The system is designed to be better than Sky, but still has it's issues.

I've just downloaded a DLNA browser on my android tablet and it's not seeing anything. I can see my other DLNA servers. Guess it'll require an app of some sort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

This is not correct. The Horizon box is a DLNA Client, Not a DLNA server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Sounds like this twonky DNLA is only for serving files to the UPC box.

How does the box serve TV and VOD to devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

IIRC belmulletman posted a link ages ago on this thread about that

Do you know belmulletman? Couldn't find it going back 5 or so pages and you seemed to ask simular question on this page.

I'll buy you a pint in O'D's some day :) Although your interest in this box looks like you don't live down there any more.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Do you know belmulletman? Couldn't find it going back 5 or so pages and you seemed to ask simular question on this page.

I'll buy you a pint in O'D's some day :) Although your interest in this box looks like you don't live down there any more.

I don't remember posting a link tbh!
    I guess, I've tried to see how to view the content on the Horzion box and can't figure out a way just yet!

and ha... nope, don't live there any more, but go back every now and then to the family! I guess this username kinda stuck! :P

Sound, I guess someone will figure it out at some stage. I prob won't be selected on trial so prob a long way off.

I wouldn't be down that way too frequent I married belmulletgirl (not a real boards username)

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Sound, I guess someone will figure it out at some stage. I prob won't be selected on trial so prob a long way off.

I wouldn't be down that way too frequent I married belmulletgirl (not a real boards username)

There is supposed to be an App for iOS (and Android on the way) that will give access, but doesn't appear to be out here or in the other countries where Horzion is available.

when i say frequent, i mean once a year! :O

Yeah looks like closed app only access, pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

Does anyone know if the testers are charged install/activation fee's as well as the monthly cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Not Telling My Name

I have the Horizon service on test but we are not allowed to talk about it yet, was the only thing we had to agree with to get it.

I have the Horizon service on test but we are not allowed to talk about it yet, was the only thing we had to agree with to get it.

Was this from the initial email or was it said to you over the phone?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement