Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympus Has Fallen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Wow, does the CGI in that trailer look ropey or what? And when Butler mentioned the 'I'm the best hope you got' line, I lol'ed.

Let's see if Emmerich can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jesus, if this were the 90's it wouldn't be out of place at all. So much prime cheese in there.

It's Die Hard in the White House.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Jesus, if this were the 90's it wouldn't be out of place at all. So much prime cheese in there.

With a little splash of "In The Line Of Fire" thrown in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Duggy747 wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was based on a script that was rejected for Die Hard 5 (due to being too far-fetched)

Still looks great in a 'cheesy, blow stuff up and save the day' kinda way.

• I don't know about anyone else, but I love when movies like this come along. Can't beat a cheesy brain-dead, watch shit blow up movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd say this would be one of those movies that would be a great laugh with some beer and buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh hell yeah !

:D

its the west wing !..........

.....if micheal bay was doing it.

ive a feeling im gonna love this. grade A cheese here buy the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fitz wrote: »
    With a little splash of "In The Line Of Fire" thrown in...

And Under Siege :p looks to be a good popcorn flick and at least it is not another rom com from Gerard Butler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't beat a cheesy brain-dead, watch shit blow up movie!

You really can.

Looks like absolute cack, and Gerard Butler holds the dubious honour of never having starred in a good or even decent film (How to Train Your Dragon doesn't count). The man is pure cinematic poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Otacon wrote: »
    Wow, does the CGI in that trailer look ropey or what? And when Butler mentioned the 'I'm the best hope you got' line, I lol'ed.

Let's see if Emmerich can do better.

+1 on that. I would guess the Emmerich and C-tates version will be more entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

First things first: PG-13 or R?

I love the initial optimism that greets films like. It's just a shame that it's almost guaranteed to end in disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You really can.

Looks like absolute cack, and Gerard Butler holds the dubious honour of never having starred in a good or even decent film (How to Train Your Dragon doesn't count). The man is pure cinematic poison.

Wouldnt say that; I thought 300 and law abiding citizen were decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And Gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

DrumSteve wrote: »

law abiding citizen was fantastic.

i was actually rooting for him to win in the end. rare that happens to me for the "baddie".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An AC-130 getting that close to the White House? shenanigans, would have been blown out of the sky way before. Looks dumb as hell, Aaron Eckhart I like though. The cgi looks woeful, could they really not drop a real car off a bridge?

law abiding citizen was fantastic.

i was actually rooting for him to win in the end. rare that happens to me for the "baddie".

Said it before, it may have actually worked better as a tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

DrumSteve wrote: »

And Coriolanus.
    I thought Law Abiding Citizen was great, Gamer not so much, however this films looks absolutley awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

300 is awful.
    Gamer is offensively awful.
    Law Abiding Citizen is beyond awful, and one whose generally favourable reputation astounds me, as its a piece of noxious stupidity that is pretty much devoid of redeeming features.

Corionalus is perhaps an exception (all rules need exceptions), that I concede, although I have yet to see it.

Of course it is a given all of these comments are completely IMO, but Gerard Butler has a quality control standard comparable to Steven Seagal - reliably starring in the most idiotic comedies and dumbass action films Hollywood has to offer. At the very least, he just happens to star in the types of film that I tend to hate for whatever reason. His name just sets off alarm bells. And I say this as someone who will give pretty much any actor a chance outside their comfort zone, but Butler's astoundingly appalling track record makes him almost peerless among current A-listers. Based on the evidence of this trailer, I remain cynical that this has the ability to break his fantastic losing streak. Another bizarre entry on the once promising Antoine Fuqua's wildly uneven filmography.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would have thought by now most of us here were inoculated against the exaggerated, false charms of trailers. Are we so in awe of a celluloid explosion that we'll give a pass, no matter how clueless the context?

As already mentioned, this looks like a half-assed crossover of Die Hard with In the Line of Fire, with apparently little of their wit / charm. Hell, it looks like a parody of an action-film. Yeah, sure; sometimes you just want a bit of fun & a rollercoaster ride, but not at any cost. Not for the sake of a modern-day Segal movie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

300 is awful.
    Gamer is offensively awful.
    Law Abiding Citizen is beyond awful, and one whose generally favourable reputation astounds me, as its a piece of noxious stupidity that is pretty much devoid of redeeming features.

Of course it is a given all of these comments are completely IMO,

You're right, it is all IMO. 300 was fantastic IMO, but i'm a sucker for gore. Gamer was right up my street, and a vision i want for the future of gaming (minus the using actual people, but the room being the console!). And Law Abiding Citizen has one of the best death scenes in a long time ("I can pretty much do whatever i want!" *pew*).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Bit of this, bit of that....

Gerard Butler still building his portfolio aimed at the plum 'James Bond' role.

Rem: You heard it here first!

+1 on that. I would guess the Emmerich and C-tates version will be more entertaining.

Is Jason Clarke playing the villain in White House Down?

FlashD wrote: »

He was already in a Bond Movie though.

Despite the trailer, this review makes me hopeful. I generally agree with The Kidd.

Link [Mild Spoilers]
    OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN really surprised the hell out of me. I wasn’t expecting much, focusing more on the other White House under attack movie coming later this year, but with a worthy bad guy, an engaging hero and Eckhart providing a likable President you actually want to see rescued, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN does plenty right to be saluted as an excellent action flick.

Despite the trailer, this review makes me hopeful. I generally agree with The Kidd.

Link [Mild Spoilers]

Most of the reviews are less than favorable with the film being called one of the dumbest blockbusters in years. Melissa Leo is supposed to be excellent and Butler is good fun but most of the cast are left with little to do but look terrified. Really think that it's time that Butler got a new agent. He turned in a superb performance in Machine Gun Preacher and was bloody good in Coriolanus, The Jury, Beowulf & Grendel, Nim's Island and RocknRolla and I've enjoyed many of his action films but he really needs to concentrate on some more serious fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

You really can.

Rock-N-Rolla was decent

Link [Mild Spoilers]

Most of the reviews are less than favorable with the film being called one of the dumbest blockbusters in years. Melissa Leo is supposed to be excellent and Butler is good fun but most of the cast are left with little to do but look terrified. Really think that it's time that Butler got a new agent. He turned in a superb performance in Machine Gun Preacher and was bloody good in Coriolanus, The Jury, Beowulf & Grendel, Nim's Island and RocknRolla and I've enjoyed many of his action films but he really needs to concentrate on some more serious fare.

And I'm back down again. :(

Link to AICN
    OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN is dumb...

Unfortunately, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN isn't the kind of dumb that fans can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Rock-N-Rolla was decent

Also thought he was convincing in Machine Gun Preacher

FlashD wrote: »

Is he not too old to play Bond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Good god that looks bad. What passes as acceptable CGI in Hollywood these days is getting silly.

Advertisement