Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undiagnosed circle of hell.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

cheeky2105 wrote: »
    Thanks 4 reply I have been drinking large amts of highly contaminated water over 13 yrs the doc in hse told me to get tested due go my Med history I have blood clotting disorder 6 miscarriages crohns disease not to Mention my spine fused !!! So fun & games anyhow my bloods were sent to uk 6 weeks ago by toxicologist in one if the main dub hospitals they were just goin to do normal blood profile 1st n compare to last set of bloods but the they requested my full history n rang my dr back n said they wud do the blood lead test straight away then my mind is racing very concerned I suffer the brain fog all the time too n spells if delirium then feeling v low do b all over the place it's madness sometimes only this lead thing has come to lite it may just all b starting to make sense now why ?:(

My thoughts are with you - Brain fog is the worst!!! I really miss my clarity of mind, but the adrenal cortex has really helped me. DMSA is a great chelator for lead, but see how the toxicology stuff goes first. Chelation was my last resort, as nobody else was able to assist me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cheeky2105

Ah my fear is I'm going to b told my lead levels r under a level of concern now as the exposure was minimal over past yr mainly due to fact that I had detected that water was unfit for consumption without going into too much detail this is workplace situation where someone was aware water was unfit 4 drinking n interfered with bottled water that was bought in so despite thinking we were drinking safe water we still weren't beyond belief say no more anyhow I think it is going to b very hard to get a definate Answer that the drinking of the lead for 13 yrs caused some of my issues but it I'd well known any amt of toxic metals is very dangerous only big article in the paper few weeks ago with head dr of hse saying no Amt of lead is safe but I'm thinking I may approach him soon to try n get more answers it is wot seems to me to b very grey area but I know something is telling me the lead did cause some of these issues n I will do Erin brokovich on this I need be I'll travel to USA if I have to I'm that determined Im prob racing ahead at mo but we will c wot toxicologist says when the bloods come in :( thanks again for replies guys :) I'll let u know any info on my progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cheeky2105

Sorry meant to say blood lead levels decrease after 6 mths this is when it goes into ur other organs so level in blood is nor good indicator of total body burden after yr so this is part of my concern I might never know! Anyhow thanks again :)

cheeky2105 wrote: »
    Sorry meant to say blood lead levels decrease after 6 mths this is when it goes into ur other organs so level in blood is nor good indicator of total body burden after yr so this is part of my concern I might never know! Anyhow thanks again :)

Yes, blood levels are not a good indicator for heavy metals. You need a challenge test, to mobilize the heavy metals. But it can lead to redistribution, and is advised against by some. I would favour hair mineral analysis test.

PS: Opinion guy, your inbox is full so I cannot reply.

So a quick update.

Some positive news for once. I recently in the past few weeks added adrenal support and a digestive aid (Betaine HCI). I've also been targetting my stomach with manuka honey to tackle what might be a return of H.Pylori. Also using apple cider vineger.

Really focusing on improve my gut, and support my adrenals.

I want to say that I am still ill - but my mind is now clear. I haven't had brain-fog for weeks. My brain feels like it's now operating in HD, while before it felt like an old VHS tape!!

I have still some way to go, but having my mind working 100% is really helpful and a welcome relief.

I'm on a wee break from chelation, but I'll resume in the next 2 weeks. I hope to have the next 12 rounds done by the summer. I hope by then to have more improvements!

• Advertisement

Now that my brain is working, I'm able to think more clearly. Still waiting on an appointment from the Endo. I know my thyroid is probably shot to pieces - as I'm consistently freezing + tired. Secretary is not there til Wednesday - God knows when I'll get an apppointment, and even at that - it's luck of the draw whether they are actually bothered to invest the proper time into testing me correctly. (Anyone who knows a good Endocrinologist that is willing to test Free T3 + T4, amongst the usual antibodies - Shoot me up with a PM :) )

Fingers crossed - I'll solved this puzzle bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hey dlofnep, isn't it a fantastic feeling to have brain fog cleared up?! Since I began Q10 mine has all but gone and it's exactly how you describe it-going from VHS to HD! Now if I could only get my energy levels back I'd be on the pigs back.

Endo's here aren't great at diagnosing thyroid/adrenal problems; I've been to 3 who were useless and according to them I'm fine-on paper that is-my body says otherwise. I don't think any of them test T3-I got mine tested in the UK.

I did attend an Endo privately who was half decent but I couldn't afford to go back to him. (I'll pm you his details). A friend of mine attended an Endo in St. Vincents and he has her on Armour thyroid which is unknown to most Endos and GP's and he is also giving her vitamin E shots. She was unwell for years and is now almost back to normal. I asked my GP to refer me to this Doc but she refused as says it's waste of time. I'm tring to find an Endo who recognises adrenal fatigue and not just addisons and am hoping he may be the one...

Am curious as to what adrenal support you're on? I tried some adrenal grandulars a couple of years ago without much success.

I'm using adrenal cortex by Thorne. They are 50mg per capsule. I take 2 at 8am, one at 12 noon and one at 4pm. Seems to do the trick. I also have 250mg capsules, but I don't need them just yet. Moving up very slowly in doses.

I might add - recommendations for public endos are preferable :) I'm as broke as an egg!

8-9 months to be seen locally here in Waterford. Ugh.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

dlofnep wrote: »
    8-9 months to be seen locally here in Waterford. Ugh.... :(
    I'd be amazed if it was that quick. Seriously.

Who told you that?

I'd be amazed if it was that quick. Seriously.

Who told you that?

Endo's secretary.

Got an appointment in 3 weeks privately with Dr. Griffin in Clane. Can't put a price on health. No way was I waiting another 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Haven't had any personal experience of Dr. Griffin but heard she's good.Keep us posted...

Will do :) Here's hoping for some relief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

I was just reading this thread and really hope you get sorted. Just to let you know I have been attending Dr.Griffin for years she's amazing and a friend of mine went to her and she changed her life.So best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 peann

I closed my other account - So I'll keep this thread updated from this one. I don't want to take part in the rest of boards.ie anymore. Going through heavy depression at the moment, from my health and heartbreak. I'm trying to work my way through it. I have great support from my parents and friends. Been pretty much in a ball of tears for a week.

I'm going to Kildare today to see an endocrinologist.

Waiting on blood test results for endocrine system + hormones. Also booking an appointment to seek counselling. Have had probably the roughest two weeks of my life - Have never felt so low. Tried stupid things, and I want to be happy again. I will never be happy until I regain my health. I'm giving it until the end of the year and if I don't seen an improvement by then, I'm throwing in the towel. Tired, beat up, depressed, heart-broken, ill, ill, ill.... Rock bottom would be an improvement to where I am right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I've been reading this thread and admire your hard work and determination in regaining you health. Sorry to hear you've been so low recently, I hope the counseling helps. Don't be afraid to ask those around you for help when things get too much for you.
    All the best,
    Steve

I've had great people around me. I couldn't ask for anything more - But I'm sinking further and further into depression every day. When I'm not thinking about my ex, I'm thinking about my health... and when I'm not thinking about that, I'm thinking about ways to put myself out of my misery.

Everything has caught up on me. I feel like I'll never return to living a normal life and have lost any hope I've ever had. The only consolation is that I'm going away to Lanzarote for my first holiday in years in June with my family. But it's nowhere near enough to inspire hope and happiness from me.

If it wasn't for the pain it would cause my family, I wouldn't be here at all typing this. I have to be strong for them.

I would take any physical pain over the pain of heart-break any day of the week.

• Advertisement

You've certainly got a lot of troubles to deal with. Are you doing anything for the depression? Aware can offer advice and put you in touch with local support groups, if you think it would help talking to people who have gone through similar. You could also talk to your GP about it, if you haven't already.
    Lanzarote is a nice spot, I was there a couple of years ago. Hopefully all the beautiful scantily clad people on the beech will lift you spirits for a week or two :)

I contacted a local place for counselling, waiting for them to call me back. I'm home alone and in a ball of tears at the moment. Can't shake this funk.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

peann wrote: »
    I will never be happy until I regain my health.
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

However, just thought I'd point out that having ill health doesn't have to be incompatible with happiness. This is called the long-term illness forum; lots of people do have to deal with long term health problems that they would prefer not to - you're not alone in that.

I have read some stuff that people can go through stages dealing with health problems, much like one can do dealing with a bereavement: in a sense, one can be grieving for one's old, healthy self. So the first way of dealing with it is to fight it. But many people find they can't defeat the illness so then adaptation can be necessary. Adaptation doesn't necessarily meaning stopping all therapies.

Best of luck.

kangaroo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

However, just thought I'd point out that having ill health doesn't have to be incompatible with happiness.

It does for me. I have already made the decision to give this until the end of the year. After that, I'm done. I can't fight anymore. I refuse to shed anymore tears. I'm angry, angry at how my life has turned out. Angry that despite everything I do, I can't change it.

I'll be lucky if I make it through this week. I'm not even saying this for sympathy. I'm saying it to vent. I'm in a dark place, and can't escape it.

I have a counselling session tomorrow morning, but I'm doubtful it will help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Some fight you've been in dude but heartbreak is a bitch, worse than almost any other ill.... you dont need medication for that one, just time, give yourself time to sort it.

The rest you seem to be dealing with,

Just sayin is all

I'm fighting... As hard as I can, believe me. I'm doing everything to conquer this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

peann wrote: »
    I'm doing everything to conquer this.

I'd well believe it. We've seen that throughout this thread.

Just a suggestion maybe tomorrow morning when you're with the counsellor, stop trying to conquer it for that one hour, and for that one hour just go with the flow of the counsellor.

What I'm trying to say is you really sound like you're helping yourself but sometimes it is good to just "surrender" or let someone else help you or do the fight for you.

Oh god does that make sense at all???

Best of luck tomorrow dude.

Thanks - I really appreciate the support.

I went for a pre-counselling session. Said it could be up to 3 months before I see a personal counselor, but that they would send me to see a relationship counselor within 2 weeks because the heart-break seems to be the biggest thing affecting me right now. I still have my health issues to deal with however. Everything is on top of me. I think I have a virus now on top of everything. I wish I had the strength to end all this, but I don't. I just need to keep pushing with this miserable existence.

Sorry I'm sounding so whiny right now, but I've never felt so lonely, upset, depressed, and unhappy in my life.

• Advertisement

That's good about the relationship counseling at least. I think three months is a pretty normal waiting time for counseling, my girlfriend had to wait about that long recently. You'd be surprised how quick it comes round though, and most people find it helps a lot.

There's a few links here, if you are not in the right frame of mind at the moment to look through them maybe you could bookmark them for the next time your mood lifts.

If you feel that you need to, or would like to speak to someone at any time about your troubles there's a good Facebook page I follow here- Ó Lá Go Lá. It's an online community offering peer to peer support, I'd recommend it highly.

Get self-help has an online CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) exercises that you can work through. It does require you to embrace it and invest quite a lot of time and mental energy but works for a lot of people.

They also have advice and exercises for those suffering Chronic Fatigue & Chronic Pain which might be useful to you.

Hope your feeling better soon, you're welcome to PM me at any point if you need to vent.

Advertisement